Options

The show your laptop thread :))

2»

Comments

• Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Flashy as the physical hardware sleek design or the OS has cool features.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Acer 8943G, i7, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD primary, 750GB secondary, discreet graphics with 2GB, BD combo and a 18.4" 1080 display. It's been a great laptop.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I prefer not to mess around with laptops. If you have a need for real sounds and power, maybe this can suite your needs.

belgian-laptop.jpg
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Looking at a Dell Inspiron 14z myself.

"3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3517U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.0 GHz)

8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
    500GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD and 32GB mSATA SSD
    AMD Radeon HD7570M 1GB"

That'll run everything I need to throw at it I think.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Flashy as the physical hardware sleek design or the OS has cool features.

Both. They're visually. . . purdy.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thinkpad T510 here. 300GB Sata drive, 4 GB of RAM, core i5 processor. I am going to upgrade to a ssd and 8 GB of RAM very soon. So far this laptop has been great. It is free too cuz my employer provides a laptop for the entire staff........ can't complain!
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    I have the new Dell XPS13 ultrabook. I have been pretty happy with it so far. It has an SSD, it's quiet, has a backlit keyboard, and is super portable. That's what is was looking for in a laptop.
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    dell latitude e6410, i7 proc, 500gb hd, dvd r/rw, 8gb ddr3, win7 pro 64bit.... battery life sucks (i bought a spare battery which i always carry around) and with the i7 it is hot as heck...

Latitude E6410 Laptop Details | Dell

looking to replace it soon with something with longer battery life
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    4 year old Lenovo T61 with 15" - pimped with 8GB of Ram and SSD :D

Reason I am not giving it away is its resolution of 1680x1050, which seems to be rare nowadays.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    i have a Asus z70va and a Dell Latitude D400. Both from 2005 =p

now-a-days i prefer desktops a lot more. Much more customizable, upgrade-able.

That said... I'd like some rack mounted servers as well next... >_>;;

also maybe an ultraportable. <-- that, only if my next job actually warrants getting one.
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I changed the other way around now. Used to be a desktop guy but got rid of it. Server in garage and tablet / laptop in house.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    1. They're flashy.
    2. They're easy to use.
    3. They're flashy.
    4. They're generally rock-solid stable and reliable. . .
    5. It's a prestigious name.
    6. Many of them (not all!) will last doggone near forever, even if they're outdated
    7. There's some compatibility with legacy Unix and Open Source applications, and a Unix command line for the techies
    8. Did I mention they were flashy?

My only hesitance now is the Mac Tax. I just wouldn't pay that price nowadays. Linux and cheap used laptops have spoiled me. :D

1. Well Designed (Software + Hardware***)
    2. Very Stable
    3. Unix tools on hand
    4. I spend all my time fixing Operating Systems (System Admin), i don't need to spend time fixing my own (i.e. OS always seems to die, play up at the most inconvenient times see: Windows)

***I must admit that the hardware is nothing "ground breaking" my Macbook black was just a Centrino setup with nothing out of the ordinary. Compared to laptops at the time though the Macbook was much thinner, had a slot loading DVD Burner, One of the first to use a magnetic latch for the lid and the unit was compact and light. Also, selecting a model is so easy. Asus/LG/Acer believe that we want 800 different models with names like G75VW, U43JC, etc < really?

The only problem i have with the latest units is this whole idea of fixed components (battery, memory, hdd) with the battery not being covered under Applecare unless it fails due to build quality. I also don't like the idea that that i cannot upgrade my Memory or HDD and have to pay substantial amounts of money to upgrade from bog stock models.

For the model i'm after the price is around $3200-3600 (inc. Applecare) i could buy 2 really good laptops for that, Really struggling to choose.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I have a Lenovo W520. 15.4" 1080P HD screen. Core i7-2760QM 2.4GHz. 16 GB RAM. Intel Integrated Graphics + nVidia Quadro 2200M. I like that it only uses the nVidia when it is needed, and use the integrated to save power the rest of the time.

I didn't buy it though, got it issued to me for work. I'll probably be adding an SSD to it with this year's upgrade/refresh allowance.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Everyone wrote: »
    I have a Lenovo W520. 15.4" 1080P HD screen. Core i7-2760QM 2.4GHz. 16 GB RAM. Intel Integrated Graphics + nVidia Quadro 2200M. I like that it only uses the nVidia when it is needed, and use the integrated to save power the rest of the time.

I didn't buy it though, got it issued to me for work. I'll probably be adding an SSD to it with this year's upgrade/refresh allowance.

W520 Crew! Don't forget you can add an mSata drive if you want instead of or in addition to a 2.5" SSD.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Home-ASUS N73S 17'', Core i7, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 540GT.

Work- HP Elitebook 8740w, 17'', Core i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, ATI Firegl (5800 equiv)
    Work2- HP Elitebook 2740p, 12'' Touchscreen, Core i5, 160GB SSD, 4GB RAM
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Currently running a 17" Mythlogic custom built laptop. Works like a dream.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    neoteslaneotesla Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm on a tight budget and will probably have the oldest (if still quite usable) gear here. Normally I work with two laptops, as I need both Windows and Linux (and hate to have to get out of one to get into another, so am not using dual or multi-boot).

My better laptop is a ThinkPad T400 that I bought second hand of eBay (LOL). It's the best computer I've ever had. I must admit some bias, I do work as a contractor for Lenovo (although with much newer laptops, such as T520, W520, T420s, X130e, etc. Amazingly, there's not that much difference anyway, and I'm a member of the school of thought that believes that Lenovo should've stuck with their old and unbeatable keyboards, such as this one I'm typing on).

The second laptop is even older, I think it's at least 6 years old now. Compaq Presario V5102. That one has some hardware problems (hinges are mostly gone... well it's not exactly a ThinkPad, is it). However it runs Ubuntu 12.04 nicely, though I plan to switch over to Linux Mint that i tested recently and liked it better than the current crop of Ubuntu (they are the same deep down, however, the user interface on Mint, which is I think called Maya, is the best interface I've ever seen on a computer. Simple and beautiful, no bells and whistles, everything just works).

The best PC in the house is (of course) the laptop that my wife uses (HP dv6, i7, ATI Radeon HD6770 w. 2G, etc.). They are all networked of course, so I seamlessly share the stuff between them (btw. Ubuntu cooperates real well with the Windows network these days, gone are the days of endless fiddling with samba, file systems, etc.)

It's a funny thing that I much prefer my old second hand ThinkPad to my wife's (almost) brand new (and too expensive if you ask me) HP dv6... Not just the feel (which is much better), but I even prefer it performance-wise. (Which doesn't make much sense if one looks at the specs only).
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    IBM/Lenovo keyboards are legendary in the industry. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???