Options

Do employees at your work cover the camera on their laptop?

Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
I'm trying to see how common this is. At my current work I'd guess close to 40% of the employees put tape blocking the camera on their laptop. Knowing some of the people who do it my guess is that they are paranoid they are being watched. Any funny stories related to this?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    We have a bit over 200 laptops with integrated cam. To this day I haven't seen any of them covered with tape. I guess they trust us.
  • Options
    TransatlanticTransatlantic Member Posts: 120
    A good few do cover up where I work, I always get a laugh when I see some of them that have older laptops doing this, all they are doing is covering up the light sensor that detects when the cover is closed :)
    "Mistakes have been made, others will be blamed."
  • Options
    XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did for mine. I know my work can take snapshots of my computer or record all of my calls, but I don't want them to have the ability to see my room when I work from home. :P
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    One of my supervisors used to do this... and i thought it was silly =/

I mean, unless you are purposely getting hacked (which would be a bigger concern altogether) then the webcam light should light up when it's in use.

So... i dunno why anyone would do this =s
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes - Literally every single one of my Users covers their monitor's integrated webcam. Usually with a business card.

The previous area tech once took shared control of a User's PC via MSoffice Communicator, and as a joke turned on the User's webcam. Since then, the webcams have been covered.
  • Options
    sprint100sprint100 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thought I was the only guy that worked at a place where the employees covered their integrated cameras.
    Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I wonder what the legality is of a company "secretly" recording their users is.

Almost all of the 100+ employees in my building possessing laptops. I haven't seen one with tape on the camera yet.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I dont know about you guys but most good companies have very strict security policies in place in India, to the extent of being paranoid. In some banking backend operations you need to keep all your personal effects in lockers before you enter the work area (including phones). Needless to say that none of the workstations have webcam's and USB is disabled and monitored. Most enterprise laptops/workstations I have seen do not come with the integrated camera option. I guess it is a sign of the times plus the bad rep about security in India. Nowdays most companies are going the extra mile by getting ISO 27000 & 20000 certified to prove to customer's that they have the required governence/process in place to ensure security
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sprint100 wrote: »
    Thought I was the only guy that worked at a place where the employees covered their integrated cameras.

The hilarious thing is, most of my Users webcam cables aren't even connected; yet they still cover it :p
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    YFZblu wrote: »
    The previous area tech once took shared control of a User's PC via MSoffice Communicator, and as a joke turned on the User's webcam. Since then, the webcams have been covered.

I also remember a case where a school IT team peeped on the teenage students at home.

I never intentionally use the webcam, so I put duct tape it to be on the safe side. What I do in the privacy of my own home is my business. I'm not just worried about IT departments, but also accidently activating my Webcam when using communicator applications.
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    I do remote work for a VPS hosting company. Since staff are all techs, I don't believe anyone covers their cam. I've never seen my Mac cam light suddenly pop on & my dell precision doesn't have the optional cam.. I'm probably safe :). When I saw the thread title, the movie Antitrust popped to mind icon_lol.gif
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Unless I need it, the webcam sitting atop my monitor is always pointed at the ceiling.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    On my personal PC my cam is disabled in the OS. A hacker could re-enable it, but hopefully I would notice something by then.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No cameras on any of our laptops, but I'm sure it would be covered up by quite a few. In fact, one of the ladies there was certain that the new exit signs we put in had hidden cameras & microphones on them. Every office is bound to have at least one conspiracy theorist LOL.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nope never seen this done by anyone I know personally or professionally.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't get it. icon_scratch.gif Why cover webcam when some of us have built-in microphone anyways? Heck, our smartphones could have gotten hacked if anything is possible.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    wow
    we do the installations and manage the laptops
    why I never thought of this?
    meh
  • Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Unless I need it, the webcam sitting atop my monitor is always pointed at the ceiling.

This is exactly my practice too icon_lol.gif
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No one at our company covers up their webcam. We aren't very intrusive at all though.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    No covering of the cameras here.

If someone wants to see me sitting at my desk picking my nose...go ahead.
  • Options
    langenoirlangenoir Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work at an MSP and have seen this at a few of our clients. Heck, my gf does it on her personal laptop at home and I thought I was paranoid. I don't do it, but I'm starting to think that maybe I should. icon_neutral.gif
  • Options
    sasprosaspro Member Posts: 114
    I'm guessing they're covering them up so people don't see them watching pr0n on their company laptops.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We have a number of webcams (on laptops and desktops) and we have not had any users cover them up. It was pretty funny though, we had some changes with our President and it just so happened to occur when we were installing new inventory software on our machines. Rumor was we were monitoring big time and lots of people yelled at me. ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    We don't have laptop cams but we do have these:
    CP-9971-C-CAM-K9 NETWORKING TELEPHONY EQUIPMENT IP PHONE CISCO

People just twist em closed. :) myself included. Otherwise they have a wierd lil glow like HAL 9000.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is a fun thread. I think I may have seen one of our users cover his camera. This could be heavily influenced by the fact that most of our users dock their laptops and then use external displays. I have family that are paranoid enough to cover theirs. Myself?

I don't own a laptop currently, but if I did I would turn if off in the BIOS unless I needed to use it. Paranoid? Maybe, but it doesn't help that I read this book recently: Rootkits: Subverting the Windows Kernel: Greg Hoglund,Jamie Butler: 9780321294319: Amazon.com: Books
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    My customers normally do it because we use webex and when you connect a meeting its on by default. I've explained that you can disable that but I guess they find it easier lol
  • Options
    mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Some of our attorneys do it for paranoid reasons.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I've never seen any of our users do that but I can understand the reasoning.

Before I got into IT I used to work with Trojans that allowed webcam traffic to be passed back to the server side without the user on the client side knowing. It's one of those things that definitely leaves people feeling violated since most feel hidden behind their computer until something like this happens.

Is it likely? -No. Possible? -Yes.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yep, all my users do it. Laptops and the integrated all in one machines. Most use paper and tape, but the best one used SPACKLE to cover it over. When she got fired (for another reason) we went through her PC and she had used a magic marker to try to color it in. Luckily, no damage to the camera or computer.
    We do not record, nor look at them doing work, but no matter how many times you tell them this, they still do not believe you.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i see it all the time with work stuff, defendants covering it up with something

the sad part is that most webcams turn on a light before they turn on but the microphone is just as good
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: