Options

"Let me know if your company is hiring"

Why do people ask: "Let me know if your company is hiring"?

Some of my friends or classmates already know where I work. If the company is hiring...then just look at the careers section and apply.

Is that question basically asking "Please help me get a job and refer me to your company?". Recently, I went on MSN to catch up with people (it's been years). After a couple lines into our conversation, it jump to the question "Let me know if your company is hiring?".

What is your thought? Anyone asked you that question?

I finished University a couple years ago and I experienced difficult times during recession (2008-2009). I was unemployed upon graduation for 5 months. Worked for 5 months. I was unemployed again for 6-7 months again. Worked for 2 years. Then found another job on my own. Basically, I got myself out of the "recent grad' category after going through hell. Nobody helped me when I was dying for a job. Close family relatives/cousins didn't help. Only 1 buddy out of hundreds helped me to land my first gig. After that, I can land a job using my own abilities.

People are weird sometimes. I remember I landed a shitty job upon graduation. My classmate guy landed a pretty good job at one point. I applied to his company WITHOUT having him as the referral (even though he knew I applied and got the interview)...I did not get the job afterall. After a couple years down the road, I landed a better position and the same classmate guy is now treating me more friendly...so I can help him out someday...

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Yes, it's them asking you to assist them with a job. This is completely normal. A lot of the time, it's not what you know but who you know. That's part of why it's always good to stay on good terms with other classmates, ex-coworkers, etc. Don't begrudge them for asking for help because you didn't have help. You never know when you might help someone out and they can return the favor another day.

As far as the job you didn't get, I wouldn't begrudge him for it unless he was the hiring manager who was in charge of the hiring decision. You can only get so far on someone's recommendation or relationship with you but ultimately it's up to you to secure the job.

Edit: Check out this article - The Best Way to Land a Job? It's Still Word of Mouth - Businessweek
    According to a recent study, almost half of jobs are found through informal channels. Friends, family, classmates, etc.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I see nothing wrong with networking in this fashion. After all, a good majority of jobs are gained through knowing someone with the company beforehand. That's just how it's done really, i'm not really sure why you see a problem with it. You can also use landing someone else a job to your advantage, if you know the quality of their work and trust them to do the job. If they land the job and do well, they make you look better by comparison as well "Look at me i'm helping the company". Also you have the ability when the time comes to move on, to use that person as a professional reference. Who will sing your praises more than the person you've helped land a job. Good business is built upon good relationships, just my opinion however.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I finished University a couple years ago and I experienced difficult times during recession (2008-2009). I was unemployed upon graduation for 5 months. Worked for 5 months. I was unemployed again for 6-7 months again. Worked for 2 years. Then found another job on my own. Basically, I got myself out of the "recent grad' category after going through hell. Nobody helped me when I was dying for a job. Close family relatives/cousins didn't help. Only 1 buddy out of hundreds helped me to land my first gig. After that, I can land a job using my own abilities.

So you're whining how none of your friends helped you find a job except for a friend that did help you. And now you're the friend that doesn't help a friend find a job. Classic.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's called networking.

I wouldn't be at my current job if it weren't for asking, "Would you let me know if your company is hiring?"
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    mikeybikes wrote: »
    It's called networking.

I wouldn't be at my current job if it weren't for asking, "Would you let me know if your company is hiring?"

That may be but theirs a fine line when people just "use" you. I'm sorry but if my friends ask me for help with a job but they could not take the time of day to text / call / or hang out for a few years then the job part is their problem. I think you should help people out but theirs a line drawn at some point.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    higherho wrote: »
    That may be but theirs a fine line when people just "use" you.
    Typically, if you recommend someone and they're hired, the employer pays you a few grand as a finder's fee. Recommending a competent individual tends to be mutually beneficial. :)
  • Options
    mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That may be but theirs a fine line when people just "use" you. I'm sorry but if my friends ask me for help with a job but they could not take the time of day to text / call / or hang out for a few years then the job part is their problem. I think you should help people out but theirs a line drawn at some point.
    I have no problem helping someone I haven't talked with in a while get a job if one is available at my company. I would hope they might return the favor.
  • Options
    I'm with Mikey on this one. I'm usually too busy to hang out with all my friends so if they hit me up about a job, it's not a problem. If they aren't competent, I won't recommend them to my current employer but I will give them advice and/or tell them about other companies I know that are hiring
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    These days, its who you know more than what you know to get that foot in the door. I do this all the time and get no strange looks from my friends.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Don't burn any bridges unnecessarily. If you think they would be competent go ahead and recommend them. If not then politely decline. Don't hold it against them that they didn't help you out earlier, that doesn't do anyone any good. He may be able to help you out next time. It will also reflect well upon you if you're bringing good talent into the company. From my experience I've helped a few guys get jobs. I never got any help from them and have completely lost all contact with them. But that's ok as I'm doing well now and if I ever ran across them again and saw that they're still doing good work I would give them a recommendation again.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    baseball1988baseball1988 Member Posts: 119

I agree with this post.

I should clarify a little bit. The person who referred me to my first job is a friend. A friend that I kept in touch for 3 years and we do talk on MSN on a regular basis.

The first guy who asked me if there is an opening at my company is: more of a classmate. He disappeared for 3 years without a single word and didn't keep me in the loop. When I asked him where did he go for so many years and what he did through these years...He didn't give me an answer. I worked with this dude in University and he was always a last minute type of guy.

The second guy who asked me is also a classmate. Do you know any places or government agencies that can assist my classmate since he has a minor disadvantage with job search (has disability in communication/listening). He wants to get into IT but most entry level jobs everywhere require solid communication/listening/writing skills, especially deal with demanding clients. Some companies support programs to assist people with disabilities and some donèt. All I found was something like this: Career Edge Organization - Outage notification
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    So you're whining how none of your friends helped you find a job except for a friend that did help you. And now you're the friend that doesn't help a friend find a job. Classic.

Ha, icon_thumright.gif

Same guy that complained about how none of his co-workers would help him out, then complain about another co-worker asking for help.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Typically, if you recommend someone and they're hired, the employer pays you a few grand as a finder's fee. Recommending a competent individual tends to be mutually beneficial. :)

Exactly! Have a pretty nice paycheck this period because of that. I worked with him for a couple of years and he needed the spot, I knew he could handle the spot and would be a good fit. 90 days later and I get a nice fat bonus. icon_cool.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It is also one way of saying "I'm on the market looking out for a new job" - this may not be obvious if the person is currently employed but is looking to change jobs. In the social network of real life, I hear these all the time... "Our company is looking for ..., do you know anyone interested?", "I am looking for a new job, know of any openings?" et cetera... Not all who send out these messages are desperate, many are spreading the word to cover a larger audience and thus improve their chances to find the best employee/employer.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    People ask this question for two reasons:
    1. They're your friend and think that you may be able to help you.
    2. They're desperate.

If 1 and they're knowledgeable then help them out. If 2 then let them know that you don't feel you know them very well and aren't comfortable helping in their job search.

I've had plenty of people ask me the same and it's really a simple situation to handle.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I ask someone for a job it usually means I'm being lazy. :P

Finding a job is tough. Not "Lazy" tough, but tough as in "I can't find one." But It depends where you live, what you're going for, what you expect. If you set your expectations to Temp Agencies working the bathroom stalls - You'll most likely find something!

A lot of job postings don't happen on the "Career" websites. Some do, but by then the job has been open for a while. It's how I found my current, it's how I've heard of a few friends get jobs. Not from the job websites - but by reputable employees in the company. Friends, or not.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Be cautious on who you recommend because some folks aren't the right fit for the job. To the OP, you shouldn't be annoyed if someone asked you if your company was hiring, this is completely normal. One day your the one who is going to be on the other side of the fence.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Only 1 buddy out of hundreds helped me to land my first gig. After that, I can land a job using my own abilities

So you basically don't want to do what someone has already done for you? You don't necessarily have to be the best of friends and/or casual hang out buds to help someone out. If you're aware of their skills, personality and think they would be a good addition, then why not? And of course you can land a job AFTER the fact, your foots in the door already, but before you yourself needed help. It wasn't done alone. Just my 2 cents. These "acquaintances" are looking for the same opportunity you were able to receive, that "one buddy out of hundreds".
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    zekebzekeb Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    People use their friends to get jobs... it's just a fact of life I guess.

I made an oath to never refer a single friend unless they have proved that they are insanely talented. I've been burned too many times...
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    zekeb wrote: »
    I made an oath to never refer a single friend unless they have proved that they are insanely talented. I've been burned too many times...

I'll never officially "refer" someone I know unless I think they're the best person for the position. Otherwise I'll gladly let them know we have an opening and allow management to rank them against the other applicants unbiased.

For a position we recently hired for I told a few friends about but never made an official referral. Turns out we got someone much, much better than anyone I had told about the position.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I normally hear this from friends who are having issues with their current employment or know that their current contracts are ending soon and want to try and put feelers out before they need to "look" for a job, I don't tank any offense that's for sure.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    After a couple years down the road, I landed a better position and the same classmate guy is now treating me more friendly...so I can help him out someday...

It sounds like you have a pretty negative view of people. You won't help a friend out who hasn't done anything for you? You won't help a friend out who hasn't contacted you for a few years? What does that have to do with bringing good talent in to your company? It's really not about helping a friend; if you know someone that is a talented and hard working, it shouldn't matter if they are your best friend or someone you knew from years ago. You should want to get them a job in your company so you have more talent on your team.

There is some pot calling the kettle black in your post; I recommend analyzing this and rooting out things that are not beneficial to your career/character.
  • Options
    zekebzekeb Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I'll never officially "refer" someone I know unless I think they're the best person for the position. Otherwise I'll gladly let them know we have an opening and allow management to rank them against the other applicants unbiased.

For a position we recently hired for I told a few friends about but never made an official referral. Turns out we got someone much, much better than anyone I had told about the position.

That's really smart....I had to learn that the hard way. Now I'm even scared to tell a friend that the company is hiring because I fear that embarrassed feeling when seeing them absolutely flounder and i'm thinking " Oh crud, everyone knows this failure is my friend."

Referral or not, It feels so much more comfortable to work with people I don't personally know... it's much easier to avoid those who drag you down in the workplace and focus on only those who you can advance with when nothing personal is getting in the way.
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    I'm not really a social butterfly, I mostly spend my non-working hours with my family. So if I havent talked to a friend or they havent talked to me I dont hold it against them, we all have our own lives. The important thing is we dont hold our busy lives against each other. If someone from my past needs my help-so long as that person has never burned me-I will do my best to help them out.

I've had some pretty great people in my life that have helped me when I needed it, so I think its my duty to return the favor to others who may need help.
  • Options
    Would you recommend or endorse previous co-worker who you didn't get along? This person got sacked recently and everyone that I know dislike this persons attitude.

Now the same person wants me to endorse them, what would you do?
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    @Wisewun - I would exercise common sense and say no
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @Wisewun - I would exercise common sense and say no
    Yes, that seems relatively straightforward.
  • Options
    That's what I thought as well but don't you believe in second chance and that people can change? A few years ago, there was this employee who disliked me because of my talent and what I was paid (he knew the accountant) so he picked a fight one day but I kept it professional and walked away. He is almost twice my age, I would have busted his nose and probably lose my job!

After 2 years or so, he sent me a request on LinkedIn. I hesitated for a few days but ended up accepting his request. We don't talk but I think he knows what he did was wrong. I sometimes forgive others for their ignorance, hope it doesn't bite me in the rear.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    WiseWun wrote: »
    That's what I thought as well but don't you believe in second chance and that people can change? A few years ago, there was this employee who disliked me because of my talent and what I was paid (he knew the accountant) so he picked a fight one day but I kept it professional and walked away. He is almost twice my age, I would have busted his nose and probably lose my job!

After 2 years or so, he sent me a request on LinkedIn. I hesitated for a few days but ended up accepting his request. We don't talk but I think he knows what he did was wrong. I sometimes forgive others for their ignorance, hope it doesn't bite me in the rear.
    People can change, sure.

You need to see evidence of that in their actions though.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I would be very careful when endorsing anybody. However, if I didn't personally get along with somebody, but they were amazing, or at least had good skills to do their job, then I would consider endorsing them based on their skills. However, if said person was impossible to get along with, then I would not because no matter how good their skills are, if they can't play nice on a team then they're probably not going to do very well in any job.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender