Getting in over my head?

SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
Good Morning everyone! Well once I find out what's so good about it.

I am Sirbloody, I am pretty new to the forums but not to the IT scene. I am currently working a level 2 & 3 PC Tech job and even though I am making some decent money I plan on branching out into the Network Security field since you know it interests me. The only cert I actively have is a standard A+ one, I am currently working on getting my CCNA via ICND1/2, CCNA Security, CCNP, CCNP Security and hopefully and eventually the CCIE Security.

As far as my Cisco background is... I was in the Army for 7 years holding 2 commo MOSes (25F and 25B if anyone cares). While I was in my 25B course back in 07 I was dealing with 2950s almost everyday and I am pretty sure I still have my notes on it somewhere. Here at work I am only a PC tech but I am cross training on being a being a Sys Admin so I do have access to the few 2950s they have in the server room.

I do plan on building a home lab so I can actually learn everything I can and not just pass the tests. My goal is to get enough equipment to last me from CCNA through CCNP Security while buying the specific hardware I would need for the tests.

For hardware this is what I am thinking of ordering for now...

Switchs: 2x 3550s x1 2950 (Or something else if someone has a better suggestion, maybe a 3560 if I can get my hands on one)
Routers: I am not sure what to get here, the CCIE Lab equipment says a 3800 series ISR/1800 Series ISR, I know the How to Study forum it recommends a 1x 2520, 3x 1721 but will that last me through CCNP or would I need a different router like a 2610?
Misc: x1 WIC-1T or maybe a 2T unless someone has a better suggestion.

I have around a $900-1000 budget right now, hopefully I can get most of what I need and pick up a ASA5505 eventually and whatever else I might be missing.

As for study books I will be picking up the digital copy of Todd Lammle 7th Edition for my ICND1/2 journey and whatever else I need for CCNA Security.

I hope it sounds like I have a solid ground on what I would like to accomplish and not be over my head... I hope.

I can also keep updating this thread when I start getting the parts in when I am ordering them and how my studies is going/test results.
WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1

Comments

• Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to TechExams!!!

You got a plan and know where you want to go. Todd Lammle is an excellent choice. For CCNA Security, the official certification guide seems to be best. Do keep this thread updated.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Welcome!

I have chosen the Security track myself. I am in an interesting position myself in that I have worked with Cisco hands on for almost 6yrs and am going to sit for certs just to do it. I am under no pressure from anyone as my experience alone proves my value but I kinda like the idea more and more about having some fancy CCxx on my CV

As far as your lab and based on your budget, you can get a little better routers. I went with the following

Routers: 1841 x3 with 2WIC-T's in each
    Switch: 2 x3550

With that said, I also like using PacketTracer and GNS3 and have been focusing more on those lately just for convenience. As far as which ASA for your lab, that will come down to a couple of factors IMO

1. Are you positive Security is for you?
    2. How far do you truly want to go down the Security path?

Reason being, once you get into the CCNP-S and above it is more beneficial to have a couple 5510's and as far as I know the CCNA-S doesn't really even require a 5505 let alone a 5510

I plan to hold back on racking a couple 5510's until it's called for. Sounds like you are going with the 2 test option to CCNA. Good choice IMO, people have pushed me towards the Composite exam but I have also chosen to sit ICND1, ICND2 seperately. I'm under no pressure and I am kind of enjoying filling in some grey areas from over the years and having found some grey areas has made me lean toward the two test route.

I cannot speak to what kind of experience you have and how they may carry you through your studies. You stated you only work with a couple of 2950's? Based on that you don't have much experience at all but that's no problem, if you have caught the Cisco bug..go for it. Better yet, fire up PacketTracer or GNS3 and start playing around in IOS and do some labs, router on a stick being a good start
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Switchs: 2x 3550s x1 2950 (Or something else if someone has a better suggestion, maybe a 3560 if I can get my hands on one)
    For CCNP Switch, if you don't have at least four switches, you will have less than most CCNP Switch courses provide and less than most use to just pass. The minimum I'd recommend would be 2x2950 + 2x3550. If you really want to master all the exam topics, then you'd need 2x2950 + 2x3560. You can't practice PVLANs with less.

(Another option is rack rental. I paid about $30 for my CCNP Switch practice!)
    Routers: I am not sure what to get here, the CCIE Lab equipment says a 3800 series ISR/1800 Series ISR, I know the How to Study forum it recommends a 1x 2520, 3x 1721 but will that last me through CCNP
    For CCNP TShoot, if you don't have at least six routers, you won't even be able to setup the lab topology they recommend practicing on. GNS3 is a strong alternative that will allow you to master the concepts if six good routers is too rich for you. For this particular topology, it's also mostly capable of emulating the switches you need. :)

(CCNP Route is low-hanging fruit. If you cover the above, it's well-covered!)
  • SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    RouteMyPacket: I have always been interested in Network Security, I know my main weakness is Krypto (From studying for my Sec +, but dropped it for CCNA). I want to get into a field that's going to be around for a very long time and I always enjoyed Network Security for some reason.

NetworkVeteran: I would love to get my hands on a few 3560s but right now I think it's a bit out of my budget. My main goal is to get the bulk of the hardware I need for CCNA without having to upgrade too much besides the specific items I need like the ASA5505s etc etc

I will work on getting at least 2 2950s and 2 3550s for time time being, but don't get me wrong I have it in the back of my mind for the higher end certs what equipment I need and I will get it at that time, I am trying to build a solid foundation and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot with lower end switches and routers and be forced to upgrade for CCNP/CCNP Sec
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Having two each of 2950 and 3550 will last you for a long time (gives you both layer 2 and 3). Not everyone can afford to have 3560's racked in their home lab.

Go ahead and score your 2950's and 3550's, what routers have you found and want to rack?

Having two each of 2950 and 3550 will last you for a long time (gives you both layer 2 and 3). Not everyone can afford to have 3560's racked in their home lab.

Go ahead and score your 2950's and 3550's, what routers have you found and want to rack?

Honestly I am not to sure, I see in a lot of "kits" for CCNP Sec they are including some 2610XMs, I am not sure if I should buy a few of those and something else.
    You are going through the same thing I did when wanting to build my home lab. What do I need? Which model will carry me the furthest?

Most suggested routers are based on the fact that not many people will have a budget to rack in 1800, 2800 or 3600 routers. 2600's are generally what you see (i.e. 2621XM) recommended and hey if they work, they work. Another one for you to perhaps think about is 851w or 871w routers with the built in wireless capability (861w are $500+)

This is where I would advise you to install GNS3 and start practicing there while you research and decide on what equipment "YOU" want to rack based on how far it will carry you down the line.

I just saw that you could score a 3560 24port for $239 on Amazon, 2 of those for under $500 isn't bad and as stated previously will carry you far. Also see 2950 48 ports for $50 so there you go right there

2 x 3560 = $500
    2 x 2950 = 100

That leaves $400 for routers in your $1,000 budget. I actually just bought 2 x 2950 48 ports there for $119 as I don't currently have any layer 2 switches racked at home.

So yeah i'm gonna need $119 from you ASAP for making me check prices and tempting me once I saw how low they were. ha

You are going through the same thing I did when wanting to build my home lab. What do I need? Which model will carry me the furthest?

Most suggested routers are based on the fact that not many people will have a budget to rack in 1800, 2800 or 3600 routers. 2600's are generally what you see (i.e. 2621XM) recommended and hey if they work, they work. Another one for you to perhaps think about is 851w or 871w routers with the built in wireless capability (861w are $500+)

This is where I would advise you to install GNS3 and start practicing there while you research and decide on what equipment "YOU" want to rack based on how far it will carry you down the line.

I just saw that you could score a 3560 24port for $239 on Amazon, 2 of those for under $500 isn't bad and as stated previously will carry you far. Also see 2950 48 ports for $50 so there you go right there

2 x 3560 = $500
    2 x 2950 = 100

That leaves $400 for routers in your $1,000 budget. I actually just bought 2 x 2950 48 ports there for $119 as I don't currently have any layer 2 switches racked at home.

So yeah i'm gonna need $119 from you ASAP for making me check prices and tempting me once I saw how low they were. ha

I am actually planning on buying stuff through the dreaded ebay so that should save some cash, I don't mind if they are not brand new, I just want them to work.

The only reason I am kinda against GNS3 is because I currently live out of 2 homes, I own my house in GA but I work in Jacksonville which is a 2+ hour commute and too far to do it everyday. So for the time being I am renting a room in a house and I stole my wife's crappy NB (Compaq... 64b with 2gb ram... sigh, but I will be upgrading the ram on it at least) and been using my iPad for everything else. I was talking with the owner of the house and he's camping till later on today then I am going to check his modem and make sure he has a open port I can steal it and run a wire around the house.

It would be so easier for me to do this in my actual home but I am only there 2 days out of the week so there really isn't much of a point.
    To be honest in your situation is a perfect reason to leverage GNS3, give it a go as it's free. You only need to supply the IOS for each device you want to use.

To be honest in your situation is a perfect reason to leverage GNS3, give it a go as it's free. You only need to supply the IOS for each device you want to use.

I will see if I can take a look at it when I get off work today and see if it will run on the laptop....
    Sirbloody wrote: »
    The only reason I am kinda against GNS3 is because I currently live out of 2 homes... So for the time being I am renting a room in a house and I stole my wife's crappy NB (Compaq... 64b with 2gb ram... sigh, but I will be upgrading the ram on it at least)

And why is that a problem for GNS3? At 128MB of RAM per emulated device, you should be able to emulate quite a few routers with that rig, moreso when you upgrade the system. There's a myth that GNS3 is a resource hog. I believe it stems from people not reading the setup instructions, which explain how to set the idlepc value and memory footprints properly for your chosen IOS image. Then it runs quite smoothly!

Another option is to setup GNS3 on your home system and then remote desktop into it when you want to play with your topology. I used to do that, as I'd rather be people watching and sipping a good cappucino than be confined to a dark basement. You wife can actually use it for lightly-intensive PC activities at the same time. :)
    And why is that a problem for GNS3? At 128MB of RAM per emulated device, you should be able to emulate quite a few routers with that rig, moreso when you upgrade the system. There's a myth that GNS3 is a resource hog. I believe it stems from people not reading the setup instructions, which explain how to set the idlepc value and memory footprints properly for your chosen IOS image. Then it runs quite smoothly!

Another option is to setup GNS3 on your home system and then remote desktop into it when you want to play with your topology. I used to do that, as I'd rather be people watching and sipping a good cappucino than be confined to a dark basement. You wife can actually use it for lightly-intensive PC activities at the same time. :)

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. My main question about GNS3 is would eventually I actually need to pick up some physical routers or could I just use GNS3 to replace them?
    That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. My main question about GNS3 is would eventually I actually need to pick up some physical routers or could I just use GNS3 to replace them?
    For CCNA, CCNP, and CCIE you can safely use GNS3 to replace all of your routers. You will be able to use the latest IOS, the latest features, and practice with larger topologies. For the Cisco security track I am not certain, but I will say that GNS3 runs the real IOS and is compatible with tools that talk to the IOS such as SDM.
    As NV stated, make sure to set the idlepc values and GNS3 will run without taking lots of resources.

GNS3 is a beast for routers, where it is lacking is in switching and ASA. The other arguement when it comes to a home lab and GNS3/PacketTracer is that with your lab you will physically be familiarizing yourself with how devices interconnect which is more "real world" so to speak but honestly having both is awesome.

I have been using GNS3 a lot lately and am currently on the road traveling, having that and PacketTracer keeps me going no problem.

For CCNA, CCNP, and CCIE you can safely use GNS3 to replace all of your routers. You will be able to use the latest IOS, the latest features, and practice with larger topologies. For the Cisco security track I am not certain, but I will say that GNS3 runs the real IOS and is compatible with tools that talk to the IOS such as SDM.

I think I might go ahead and do that at least for the CCNA since it will save me some cash. If I happen to need some physical routers for CCNA Security and beyond I will tackle it then.
    Good news everyone. I just checked my roommates modem and he has a extra port. Time to go shopping!!
    Well, I just took the big step and ordered 2 3350s and a 12u rack for a pretty decent price. Now that I am committed I will get my tests done.
    This is a good investment. May it bring you much success. :)
    This is a good investment. May it bring you much success. :)

We can hope, hopefully I get the 2950s I have my eye in for a Good price. So far I am pretty far from my budget cap and I only technically need the 2950s and the GNS3 to start tackling the labs.
    We can hope, hopefully I get the 2950s I have my eye in for a Good price. So far I am pretty far from my budget cap and I only technically need the 2950s and the GNS3 to start tackling the labs.

Remember, after checking prices yesterday for you. I bought 2 48 port 2950's on Amazon for $119

Remember, after checking prices yesterday for you. I bought 2 48 port 2950's on Amazon for $119

Was that for each or total?
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
    Patel128 wrote: »
    CISCO WS-C2950C-24 1 YEAR WARRANTY | eBay

That maybe a listing to look at. Unless you want 48 port instead of 24. For $25 + $5.00 shipping that is not bad. If you buy 2 you may get a discount on shipping also.

EDIT: If you do want 48 port you have these options.
    Cisco WS-C2950G-48-EI Switch 2950G 48 port 2950 EI Qty 0746320687728 | eBay

CISCO WS-C2950G-48-El 48port Managed SWITCH 0746320687728 | eBay

Cisco Catalyst (WSC2950G48EI) 48-Ports External Switch Managed stackable 0746320687728 | eBay

Honestly, in a small lab environment is there even a reason to get a 48 switch over a 24?
    I do not think there is personally. When I purchased my switches I went with what was cheaper, and in better condition.
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    Is there a huge difference in the 2950C/G/T models? I am at work so I can't really Google too much.

Catalyst 2950-12

Standard Image (SI)

Catalyst 2950-24

Standard Image (SI)

Catalyst 2950SX-24

Standard Image (SI)

Catalyst 2950T-24

Enhanced Image (EI)

Catalyst 2950C-24

Enhanced Image (EI)

Catalyst 2950G-12-EI

Enhanced Image (EI)

Catalyst 2950G-24-EI

Enhanced Image (EI)

Catalyst 2950G-24-EI-DC

Enhanced Image (EI)

Catalyst 2950G-48-EI

Enhanced Image (EI)

That should be what you are looking for

Edit: Catalyst 2950 Series Software Feature Comparison--SI and EI  [Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems

That has more information on the difference between EI and SI
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    x2 2950c were just ordered, now hopefully I can find a good cheap db9 to USB cable. Can anyone think of something I might be missing? I plan on trying GNS3 for my routers.
    The only unresolved aspect from a R&S perspective is how you plan to connect those routers and switches together. Sophistication isn't necessary for the CCNA or CCNP R&S exams--that's something people focus on for the CCIE R&S exam, which wasn't in your blueprint. I would strive for at least some inter-connectivity, if possible. :)
  • cpartincpartin Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is there a huge difference in the 2950C/G/T models? I am at work so I can't really Google too much.

2950C = 2 fixed 100BASE-FX uplink ports
    2950T = 2 fixed 10/100/1000BASE-T uplink ports
    2950G = 2 fixed GBIC uplink ports

In short, for a lab situation not really unless you want to play with different types of connectors. I just went with 2950T's. All of those support the Enhanced Image which has an extended feature set over vanilla 2950 switches which can only run Standard Image. I don't recall the details but I remember reading somewhere around here that's important if you're looking ahead to CCNP.
    NetworkVeteran: Well, I am not really going the R&S per-say, I plan on sticking more towards the security side of everything. Even though I don't plan to offically get a R&S cert but I would like to know the ins and outs of it though so if you have any advice.

cpartin: I just picked up 2 2950xs just for the EI, they were cheap and will get the job done.