Options

Will Windows 8 go the way of Windows ME and Windows Vista?

Comments

• Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep i'm running start8, I do not want that Metro junk on my desktop I have used it quite alot and just prefer the old look of Windows maybe i'm a old fart lol.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Vista was and is genuinely bad on its own. Windows 7 is much faster, even with good drivers. Drivers were a huge part of the Vista bad experience, but far from the only part. It was no ME, but it was no XP, either.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach to these "Is Windows 8 going to fail?" topics that have been popping up so much lately, until the OS has been out for a while and we see what kind of reception it gets. . . or, at least, until after the actual launch in four days. icon_wink.gif

All joking aside, it's going to be interesting to see. I remember a lot of people thinking that the 'radically different' look and feel of XP vs. 2000 and 9x was too much of a change, and it wasn't really until SP1 came out that I saw a lot of my friends and colleagues begin to move to XP at all. These things take time, and sometimes unexpected factors pop up that can make or break a product.

I'm looking forward to bringing this topic up again in Q4 of 2013, once we've seen some deployments of Server 2012 and Windows 8 in enterprises as well as how the Surface devices are doing, and once some major software manufacturers like Adobe, Valve, Symantec, etc. begin jumping in and creating Windows 8 friendly apps. We can also take a look at how the first few months go, what driver and legacy software support looks like, and what other stumbling-blocks Microsoft has to clear. Once all that happens, we can start making some good arguments both for and against the new OS.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    it wasn't really until SP1 came out that I saw a lot of my friends and colleagues begin to move to XP at all. These things take time.

Thats a very good point, SP1 was big upgrade and inprovment to the original release.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We're still using XP at work and slowly migrating to win7. At the current pace, we'll skip win8 and upgrade to win9 when win10 comes out.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    AlexNguyen wrote: »
    I did not see such hype when RIM introduced the Blackberry Playbook.

Since this is a discussion on failures...I guess it was only a matter of time before the Playbook would be mentioned............ZING!
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    dave330i wrote: »
    We're still using XP at work and slowly migrating to win7. At the current pace, we'll skip win8 and upgrade to win9 when win10 comes out.

Man, I thought we were still in the dark ages for running stuff on XP. But then again, we run EVERYTHING on XP, including stuff that might be better off on a version of Windows Server.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I remember a lot of people thinking that the 'radically different' look and feel of XP vs. 2000 and 9x was too much of a change

I remember many "experts" said that the Apple iPad will fail and many joked about its product name. Look who's laughing now...
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is Microsoft making it known that RT will not run x86 applications?

Surface with Windows RT includes Microsoft Skydrive

Unless you go to the "help me choose" portion, they don't seem to be making it known it will not run traditional applications. I would assume by now most people learned this from Android which has no desktop OS and iOS which most people didn't own Apple PCs anyways.
  • Options
    AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Since this is a discussion on failures...I guess it was only a matter of time before the Playbook would be mentioned............ZING!

Not only the Playbook, the Blackberry too. The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency just announced the switch to iPhone, dropping Blackberry: Federal agency to switch to iPhone, drop BlackBerry - Yahoo! News
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • Options
    AlexNguyen wrote: »
    Not only the Playbook, the Blackberry too. The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency just announced the switch to iPhone, dropping Blackberry: Federal agency to switch to iPhone, drop BlackBerry - Yahoo! News

Ouch...Yeah when your corporate and government contracts are dropping that is not a good sign.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I never had many problems with drivers in Vista. Of course, I never used it on a computer made before 2006, let alone upgrading XP to Vista. But it always bothered me to open any item in the Control Panel and wait for 5 or more seconds. Why did it have to be that slow with no apparent reason?
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I think yes and no. Here's my reasoning.....

Yes, for the first year at least. Nobody really needs to upgrade right now if they have a working 7 setup and many people obviously bought into Windows 7 after the poop stain that was Vista. Businesses are still clinging to XP and upgrading or have upgraded to 7 in large numbers.

No, in the long run. Windows 8 brings some big features to the table for those who buy the OS as a replacement for a broken 7 installation and those who are buying new hardware. Assuming that retail stores follow Microsoft dictation and remove 7 from the shelves in short order, many will be forced to use it as a replacement for their OEM 7 installations when their PC breaks or whatever the case may be since many of them won't have made recovery discs to reclaim their OEM software install. I did a lot of XP to Vista installs when I was working retail as a Geek Squad agent and it was simply because we didn't have XP for them to buy and people lost their recovery discs.
  • Options
    No, in the long run. Windows 8 brings some big features to the table for those who buy the OS as a replacement for a broken 7 installation and those who are buying new hardware.

And those would be? Remember....you said "big." :D
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Is Microsoft making it known that RT will not run x86 applications?

Surface with Windows RT includes Microsoft Skydrive

Unless you go to the "help me choose" portion, they don't seem to be making it known it will not run traditional applications. I would assume by now most people learned this from Android which has no desktop OS and iOS which most people didn't own Apple PCs anyways.

I found this curious as well. Surface will be released with the full version sometime in the future. I will wait for that one, and I will buy it.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think Windows 8 will be a success for the most part especially in homes and now that people are adopting tablets more often these days. I think MS has done a fair share marketing this thing and getting the word out. Also, their partnership relationships new and old are a lot stronger than the past.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I actually have to resist the temptation to buy the new Surface RT. I really would like a tablet that has Office and let's me read my WGU books (some are in Flash) but I don't want to bother buying a new Android tablet. The Surface RT would be enough for me if I just planned on using it for school but the Pro would be perfect for school AND work. Must... resist... impulse.... buy....

(God I wish I was a typical female and my impulse buys were shoes....)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    I actually have to resist the temptation to buy the new Surface RT. I really would like a tablet that has Office and let's me read my WGU books (some are in Flash) but I don't want to bother buying a new Android tablet. The Surface RT would be enough for me if I just planned on using it for school but the Pro would be perfect for school AND work. Must... resist... impulse.... buy....

(God I wish I was a typical female and my impulse buys were shoes....)

I dont know...shoes and hand bags are expensive!
  • Options
    Shoes and handbags wouldn't touch the amount of money I spend on my computers. Thankfully, I'm a master budgeter and I always find the best deals on my computers :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    My company started our Windows 8 deployment last Monday and I have been running it for a week. Still fumbling around a little bit as I start to rebuild my lab using Client Hyper-V (goodbye dual boot!) and try out some new features. IE 10 is more locked down by default, and I had to install Chrome so I could get Silverlight to work, but so far so good. Until I tried to Enter and start a new line here to no avail. Have to dig into that one a bit.

My wife and I have original Kindle Fires to go with our laptops (work and personal for me), but I am considering a Windows 8 tablet to replace my aging personal laptop. One reason is I have all these Blu-Ray movies with their DVD and digital copies. The digital copies are either secure iTunes or WMA so they don't play on the Kindle. I also have a Kindle DX and it doesn't look like Amazon will be continuing that large form factor. A full-size W8 tablet, either a Surface or Slate, would be a nice option for those movies and my tech books.
  • Options
    RomBUS wrote: »
    I think Windows 8 will be a success for the most part especially in homes and now that people are adopting tablets more often these days.

Correction: They are adopting Apple, Google and Amazon tablets. And Amazon's low price point for the Kindle Fire, footprint in eReader market and ability to make their money back on books is how they got into it. Otherwise, it would totally be Apple and Google.

Microsoft's involvement comes from poor Windows 7 tablets over the years and smartphones that nobody is buying. They need something attractive. And they are not offering much of anything in my opinion. At least for now. And performance from an actual retail product has yet to be seen.
  • Options
    My friend sent me this article and it's REALLY getting me excited for Windows 8. After navigating through Linux, Cisco IOS, Juniper IOS, CatOS, etc, I'm not so turned off by the idea of learning a new UI. The article is excellent in highlighting reasons to switch to Windows 8 without sounding like an overexcited fanboy:
    Under the hood of Windows 8, or why desktop users should upgrade from Windows 7 | ExtremeTech
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    Shoes and handbags wouldn't touch the amount of money I spend on my computers. Thankfully, I'm a master budgeter and I always find the best deals on my computers :)

Ha! Fair enough.

Personally I'm a binge buyer when it comes to computers. I usually hold out until I am really excited about a new piece of hardware such as when Sandy Bridge was released with its massive overclocking potential. I went all out and built a pretty beefy box and splurged on a nice aluminum Silverstone case.

But to the topic of Win8 count me as one of the excited ones. While I have enjoyed running 2008 R2 as my workstation OS I am looking forward to going back to a Windows client OS a bit. Client Hyper-V looks really good and there definitely some other great features. I honestly don't think it will go the way of Vista, perhaps in the Enterprise it will be I dont think people will reject it as strongly as Vista was rejected. I also really think there is a strong possibility Win8 will increase the BYOD trend and could creep its way into the Enterprise in such a way.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm interested and will try it on my laptop. I'm still extremely leery of using it with my desktop (dual monitors) and certainly with servers. The under-the-hood and feature additions are impressive on both sides, but the interface terrifies and frustrates me for many tasks.

Surface Pro interests me a lot. Too bad I just bought a laptop, but I needed one.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Thats awesome, I will still wait for the "pro" version. I wonder how Samsung will respond. They have produced a high quality tablet running Windows 7 for the last couple of years.

I guess I will be going to the Microsoft Store this weekend.
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    I myself am not too fond of Windows 8. Had it installed for about 4 months on my Laptop and just recently went back to Windows 7. Windows 8 just didn't really seem intiutive to me, seems like I was always just fumbling around the interface trying to find stuff. Who knows maybe someday I will give it a shot again, but for now I'm just going to stick with 7.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My friend sent me this article and it's REALLY getting me excited for Windows 8. After navigating through Linux, Cisco IOS, Juniper IOS, CatOS, etc, I'm not so turned off by the idea of learning a new UI. The article is excellent in highlighting reasons to switch to Windows 8 without sounding like an overexcited fanboy:
    Under the hood of Windows 8, or why desktop users should upgrade from Windows 7 | ExtremeTech

That is the best article I have seen so far on Windows 8. Cool new features, but I'm still a little annoyed by the removal of the Start button. I guess that just makes my cranky! :)
  • Options
    I could not watch the reviews on Youtube and only read the Engadget one but I wish tech reviews would create/use a consistent set of tests. Not an industry standard but for each site where tests are done for semi normal uses the average consumer would look for when buying a device. Say a usability test for Facebook, Twitter, web browsing email, etc. stuff the average consumer might want/expect in a tablet device. So if they are coming from the iPad or going to the iPad from Android or leaving both and trying Windows what to expect when they get the device home.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Am I the only one who prefers Server 2012 I have been using it allday and I love the layout of it less bloat then Windows 8 version of Metro
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "