Lasik Surgery

2»

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am kind of blind without contacts. I researched the procedure but still scared of it for various reasons, some legit most based on sci-fi horror movies involving lasers and being on a table.
  • HectorPHectorP Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I am kind of blind without contacts. I researched the procedure but still scared of it for various reasons, some legit most based on sci-fi horror movies involving lasers and being on a table.

Yeah, I had to wait until I had the procedure done before I allowed myself to watch Final Destination 5. When I finally saw it, it wasn't as bad as I thought, though. Still, no regrets!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I wear a full mask. getting shot in the face with it on once; I'm glad I had it on. Tasted paint for a week!

Agreed. I took a few in the face and the taste is horrible.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I took a few in the face and the taste is horrible.

read this out of context.....
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think in the long run the benefits outweigh the risk. I am thinking of having the procedure done early 2013. I just wish that I could be knocked out for it.
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
  • jgilljgill Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lasers? In my eye? No thanks, I'll just keep my carrots.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    EyeOpener.jpg

I eat a lot of carrots, but I think sitting infront of 7 monitors isn't helping. My eye sight is a bit fuzzy. More than usual.

Pic Related. :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

j23evan wrote: »
    I think in the long run the benefits outweigh the risk. I am thinking of having the procedure done early 2013. I just wish that I could be knocked out for it.

They can give you a sedative. I took a Lorazapam pill before the procedure and was very relaxed before going in.

I am 4 weeks post-op and the only side effect is very minimal halos on traffic lights. Overall, a great experience.
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Funny story about the drugs they give you to relax...

On the day of my Lasik my eyes were still dilated and unless they went down they weren't going to be able to do the surgery. They ended up shrinking down to size just before the cutoff around 1pm at which point I was given a few pills to "help me relax" and rushed into the laser room. Well the pills didn't kick in at all until I was done and after leaving the hospital I have absolutely no memory of what happened until the next day.

Bit scary to not remember the rest of the afternoon or night.. I was actually up functioning and have no memory of it.

Having gone through it without any medication I can say it really isn't that bad.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Do they use the same pills as in the movie Hangover? :)
    No, from the Matrix.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What's the deal with the cornea flap part? How easy is it to disrupt it and cause problems?
    Very easy to dislodge the flap. You absolutely cannot rub your eyes for at least 2 weeks, while it heals. If the flap gets moved, they might be able to get it back in place,but it probably won't be as good as the first time, there is a risk of more complications.
  • SaundieSaundie Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm having LASIK with "Wavefront guided treatment" on the 14th of December; I am very much looking forward to spending Christmas without having to wear glasses! Psoasman, how long were you advised not to use a computer for after your treatment?
    They said it would be best to not use a computer or read a book for 3 days. I just sat around listening to music and building Lego sets with my boys.
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    What's the deal with the cornea flap part? How easy is it to disrupt it and cause problems?
    This is honestly the only part that makes it a bit of a pain. For the first 24 hours it's very important to not disrupt, the first couple weeks you're supposed to wear eye shields while sleeping and even after that you're not supposed to really rub your eyes for a good while. I was told it takes around 18 months to fully heal but is quite stable after the first couple weeks.

I actually ended up getting a wrinkle in my left flap(or so the doctor claims). Since I have 20/15 vision in that eye now and can't tell that it exists I just decided to leave it rather than go through the procedure and healing time again.
    Saundie wrote: »
    I'm having LASIK with "Wavefront guided treatment" on the 14th of December; I am very much looking forward to spending Christmas without having to wear glasses! Psoasman, how long were you advised not to use a computer for after your treatment?
    As far as the "Wavefront guided treatment", there are some benefits and drawbacks to this type. While it may be able to more accurately "sculpt" your eye, it does so taking into account any inperfections in your lens. Down the road if you get say cataract surgery and have the lens in your eye replaced with a perfect lens then your Lasik would have to be redone to undo these corrections.

My father works installing and maintaining the Lasik equipment so I've become quite knowledgeable about the entire process.
  • SaundieSaundie Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    As far as the "Wavefront guided treatment", there are some benefits and drawbacks to this type. While it may be able to more accurately "sculpt" your eye, it does so taking into account any inperfections in your lens. Down the road if you get say cataract surgery and have the lens in your eye replaced with a perfect lens then your Lasik would have to be redone to undo these corrections.
    That is very interesting information; thank you for sharing it! I am still relatively young, so I would hope that the chances of me developing cataracts is quite slim. I still have over a decade to go before I hit my 40s, when I am told to expect my eyesight to deteriorate as a result of ageing. The main appeal of the Wavefront technology for me is the chance to reduce the risk of halos at night time. They're also going to use the IntraLase technology, where they use another laser to cut the flap instead of a metal blade. Apparently the resulting flap is smaller and therefore heals more quickly.

To be honest, I feel a bit queasy just thinking it, but I know it'll be worthwhile in the long term. I have never really liked wearing glasses, especially as a teenager; I will be thrilled to be free of them.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Okay, this is all getting way too painful to read. Ouch. I think I will stick to my glasses.
  • jesseou812jesseou812 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had a stigmatism and was pretty much blind without glasses thick as coke bottle bottoms. Glasses were the first and last thing everyday of my life for 30 years.

I stared to get lasik, but on the day of, the doctor said wrong. You are going to get PRK (photorefractive keratectomy). No flap or cutting. A beam burns your eye and reshapes it. It was a military thing and arguing with a Lt Col who had done 4,000 of these surgeries was not an option.

I read all the horror stories about both and spoke with the doc.

He said, "Listen to me and do what I tell you. You will not have any problems." He was right.

He said after the surgery, take your pain pills, sleep lots, cover your eyes with a sleeping mask and do not use them for three days (no watching tv, reading, computer, no exceptions).

PRK was more painful and took longer to heal but the results were excellent. Did what the doctor said and I had zero complications. I was scared about the whole deal, but the doc explained each step and my fear went away after things got started. Oh, they numb your eye and you don't feel anything.

It was so wonderful to buy my first pair of high-end sunglasses.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    How many days did you feel the pain after PRK? It's the only viable option for my eyes and I heard it takes more than a week to recover.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Thanks for the info guys.

Thinking of having it done next year.
    Been wearing glasses since 14, now 40.
    May need a minor cataract/s removed first - uv % is higher here and used to work outdoors a lot (aircraft maintenance)

Ultraviolet Radiation, UV Rays and Skin Cancer : SunSmart Victoria Australia
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My mom had laser eye surgery and now can't drive at night because of severe halos and streaks of light. It wasn't that bad at first, but over time she got to the point where she just couldn't drive once it got dark. I don't know if age has anything to do with it or what, but it really limits her mobility during the short winter days.

I don't know any of the details as to what type of surgery, or whatever. As far as I know it was Lasik from a reputable doctor that was recommended to her by a friend.

Thankfully my vision isn't too bad, though it has gotten worse, but I can manage.
    alxx wrote: »

Thinking of having it done next year.
    Been wearing glasses since 14, now 40.
    May need a minor cataract/s removed first - uv % is higher here and used to work outdoors a lot (aircraft maintenance)

Ultraviolet Radiation, UV Rays and Skin Cancer : SunSmart Victoria Australia
    If you're going to get cataract surgery look into implantable lenses instead. They can auto-focus now and correct your eyes to almost any prescription without Lasik. This is actually a better alternative to Lasik IMO since as you age your eyes won't lose the ability to focus. Unfortunately it isn't an option for most people until it gets approved for use outside of cataract surgery.
    astrogeek wrote: »
    My mom had laser eye surgery and now can't drive at night because of severe halos and streaks of light. It wasn't that bad at first, but over time she got to the point where she just couldn't drive once it got dark. I don't know if age has anything to do with it or what, but it really limits her mobility during the short winter days.
    As you get older and your eyes begin to lose the ability to focus Lasik is little help. It can help set your vision to one point(Such as far away for driving), but then you would still need reading glasses. It sounds like her vision changed some and her lenses no longer focuses like they once did.