Options

Which books shall I buy?

praving5praving5 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All, I am just beginning to know about ITIL v3 Foundation exam and want to know which books shall I buy for study? ITIL official books would cost me a bomb (I am based out of India) and I think they are not necessary for foundation exam. Which books, preferably Indian Prints, shall I buy? Also, is there any other subject matter such as practice exams etc. worth buying?

Comments

• Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Praving

If you are studying for the ITIL Foundation exam and wish to self study you don't need to buy all of the ITIL core volumes. I would recommend that you buy a book that is specifically tailored towards the Foundation syllabus. These books will have just the information you need and aren't too expensive.

Some examples are:

ITIL foundation handbook ISBN-10: 0113313497 (disclosure - I was part of the authoring team)
    ITIL foundation exam study guide ISBN-10: 1119942756
    ITIL foundation essentials ISBN-10: 1849283990 (disclosure - I wrote this icon_smile.gif )

Make sure whatever you buy is aligned to the ITIL 2011 updates (not V3 which has been replaced) and licensed by the ITIL accreditor, that is your guarantee of quality. You can then download a free copy of the syllabus and a sample exam from the ITIL Official site to see if you are ready.

Good luck with your studies,

Claire
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks Claire. I would have this checked.
  • Options
    Hi Claire,
    Reading on web and getting proposal from one of the local trainers in India, I got to know that it would be good to do Foundation in IT Service Management based on ISO/IEC 20000 certification as well along with ITIL 2011 certification. Is this correct and advised?

For Foundation in IT Service Management based on ISO/IEC 20000, will the below book be good:
    Implementing Service Quality based on ISO/IEC 20000, 3rd edition: Michael Kunas: 9781849284424: Amazon.com: Books

This is the book been referred to in the official site.

Please let me know.

Thanks and regards,
    Pravin Goyal
  • Options
    Hi Pravin

I took the ISO/IEC20000 Foundation cert this year and I found it very valuable. It's complementary to ITIL and looks at how an organisation can acheive certification for its service management system.

I wouldn't recommend doing the two at exactly the same time as they use some of the same concepts in different ways which can be a bit confusing, but you should have no issue doing one after the other.

I only needed the materials from my training provider to pass the exam, I've not used that book so couldn't give a recommendation.

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    Thanks again Claire!
  • Options
  • Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire,

Quick update: I am going to take the ISO/IEC 2000 Bridge Foundation exam (since I've passed the ITIL foundation). I have researched it, compared it with my goals and how it will specifically assist, and for me it is worth it. I'm not a "cert seeker" but need only those that are going to help me in my career path. This is a good one and, correct me if I'm wrong, is cheaper than the regular exam and 20 questions? Also, what book(s) would you advise one to read for exam preparation? Thank you.
  • Options
    Just PASSED the ISO/IEC 20000 Foundation Bridge Exam!!!! Now have ITIL Foundation Exam Passed and this one today. Very useful information. I'm happy! :)
  • Options
    Congratulations! That's great news icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    Thanks! It was very informative and useful material. I already had the Kunas book and perused it months ago. It's really a good reference and good material to learn. I'm learning from watching job ads in my target field that ITIL is being mentioned. So, I know for me it's going to be quite useful.
  • Options
    Hi Claire,
    The book that you mentioned "ITIL Foundation Essentials: The Exam Facts You Need" ISBN-10: 1849283990 | ISBN-13: 978-1849283991

is not available since last 2 months. Is there any other place or way where I can buy this book instead of Amazon?

Please help.

Thanks and regards,
    Pravin Goyal
  • Options
    Hi Pravin

The book is available from IT Governance (the publishers) direct - the UK site is here: ITIL Foundation Essentials: The exam facts you need (Softcover) but they also have a US presence - I'm not sure where you are located.

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    Hi Claire,
    Thanks for the reply. I am based out of India. I hope they can ship it to me here.

Thanks and regards,
    Pravin Goyal
  • Options
    Hi Claire,
    I got both the book on Friday. My exam is scheduled on Jan 20. I hope I can get both the certifications cracking! Thanks for all your help so far.

Thanks and regards,
    Pravin Goyal
  • Options
    Hi Pravin

Good luck with your exam!

Claire
  • Options
    Hi Claire,
    I passed the exams today with below scores:

ITIL Foundation = 98%
    ITSM Foundation = 88%

I felt ITSM foundation exam was much tougher and twisted than ITIL. Anyways, your guidance helpmed me a lot. Thanks a ton for all the assistance you provided.

Thanks and regards,
    Pravin Goyal
  • Options
    Hi Pravin

Amazing scores! Congratulations, have you got any plans for further ITSM training or are you taking a break?

Claire
  • Options
    Hi Claire,
    I am information security domain expert. I currently hold below certifications:

RHCE | HP-UX CSA | VCP | MBA | CISSP | GISP | CCSK | CloudU | CompTIA CE | ITIL-F | ITSM-F

I just wanted to do ITIL and ITSM foundation to make sure I know about these areas as well. I do not intend to go further in ITIL domain. Most probably, I would not do any more certifications and probably go for a Ph.D. :)

Do you suggest any more certifications or courses that would be of value looking at my profile?

Thanks and regards,
    Pravin Goyal
  • Options
    Hi Pravin

That's an impressive list! I think the service management qualifications will stand you in good stead - if you don't intend to go any further with ITIL or service management then that's really outside the field of my experience.

We're working with emerging service related methodologies like OBASHI and COBIT 5 right now - you could take a look and see if they are of interest to you but they may not fit with your current profile.

Good luck with the Ph.D!

Claire
  • Options
    Thanks Claire. I have extensively worked with CobIT Compliance and I must say I like it. But, as of now, I am not looking to get certified on it. I shall keep you updated if I want to make any progress in this areas.

Thanks and regards,
    Pravin Goyal
  • Options
    Hi Claire,
    I went through OBASHI introduction material and seems it is interesting to learn this. But, the training for this is not available in India currently. Will the below book suffice to learn the OBASHI methodology and clear the exam:

APMG-Business Books ~ The OBASHI Methodology

Also, the exam seems to be paper based only as of now. I am not sure if it would be available in India as well until it goes online. At this point, it seems, I shall wait until things become matured.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks and regards,
    Pravin Goyal
  • Options
    palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire
    Is the sybex book for ITIL foundation good enough?How much preparation time does it take to clear the ITIL Foundation exam?And from where do I book my exam..Pearsonvue?
  • Options
    Hi Palit

I'm not familiar with the sybex book so I can't comment on that one - is it licensed as an ITIL Foundation product?

The syllabus for the Foundation recommends 18 hours of study - you may need more or less depending on your level of experience.

You can book an exam at Pearson Vue, Prometric or online through Loyalist Exams and other examination institutes.

Good luck!

Claire
  • Options
    Hi Claire,
    Requesting a reply for my query as well above?

Thanks and regards,
    Pravin Goyal
  • Options
    palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The name of the book is ITIL Foundation exam guide by Liz Gallacher and Helen Morris [ ISBN 978-1-119-94275-7 ]...how do I figure out if it is licensed as an ITIL Foundation product? Please help!
    Hi Palit

I'm not familiar with the sybex book so I can't comment on that one - is it licensed as an ITIL Foundation product?

The syllabus for the Foundation recommends 18 hours of study - you may need more or less depending on your level of experience.

You can book an exam at Pearson Vue, Prometric or online through Loyalist Exams and other examination institutes.

Good luck!

Claire
  • Options
    @Palit

If it's Liz and Helen's book it is licensed and it is excellent - both the authors are well respected and experienced ITIL trainers.

@Pravin

Sorry, I had missed your question on the previous page! OBASHI is extremely interesting and seems to be getting good global recognition, but the training is a bit sparse at the moment. My company will be offering an online course in March/April this year so hopefully that will make access to training more easy. The exam is available online but at the moment only via a training organisation, I don't know if this will change in the future.

If you sign up for the newsletter on our ITIL site (http://www.itiltrainingzone.com/it-training-zone-newsletter) we'll be sending out an update when OBASHI goes live, we'll provide some free introductory material too to help you decide if it's right for you.

The manual is certainly worth a read as well, it has some great clear guidance.

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    Thanks Claire. I have subscribed to newsletter. Please do keep me updated about it. I sometime might miss to check this thread. If possible, a mail @ pravingoyal101@rediffmail.com would help.

Thanks and regards,
    Pravin Goyal
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Hi Claire, I am currently working in Service Management and starting my Expert Training in March.
    Any suggestion for topics that I can read up before hand to help? not sure I will have too much of time between work and attending classes every other week. I have both ITIL V3 and ITSM Book from Van Haren, I am planning to look through these once
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    Hi Pumbaa

The best resource for pre-reading is going to be the ITIL core volumes - all of the ITIL intermediate courses suggest you do some additional reading in these in addition to your studies with a training provider.

Download the course syllabi from the ITIL Official Site and you'll be able to see the chapter references for the courses you are studying.

ITIL 2011 is the latest version of ITIL which replaced V3 - V3 resources are still okay to use but be aware there have been some changes since then.

Enjoy your studies!

Claire