Options

Which books shall I buy?

2»

Comments

• Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Thanks! will let you know how I get on
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    Liz GallacherLiz Gallacher Member Posts: 107
    Just to clarify - the "Sybex book" is the ITIL Foundation Exam Study Guide that Claire recommended above ISBN-10: 1119942756.
    (disclosure - I co-authored it ). It covers the syllabus with lots of practice exams, but it is 360 pages, so I advise taking at least a couple of weeks redaing it - a chapter every couple of days would be about right
  • Options
    RivkaRivka Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Claire -

I am a PMP with virtually (pun intended) little IT experience. Going forward, most companies want PMs today to manage "large infrastructure projects."
    Taking ITIL Foundation 2011 now. Will Intermediate Service management help me if I do not know IT?
    Also, I do not understand the whole setup for ITIL certs....one must pass all of Operation or Capability units to go onto MALC? Or can one do the "chinese menu" and take some of each, gathering enough credits for MALC?
    Thanks - love following you here....
    Rivka
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Rivka

Thanks for the kind feedback!

ITIL Foundation is a great place to start and will help you to decide if you want to pursue the intermediate level. The intermediate courses study the ITIL processes in more depth, so they can be of use even if you have little ITIL experience - for example if you take Service Operation you will understand Incident and Problem Management in much more depth which would be useful for a Service Desk role. You might struggle to put some of it into context, but your PM experience will be useful. Service Design or SOA Capability may be of interest to you as a PM.

You can pick and choose between the Lifecycle and Capability streams to ge to Expert - use the credit profiler here if you are ever in doubt: http://www.itil-officialsite.com/qualifications/creditprofiler.aspx

It may be useful for you to take one ITIL intermediate and then decide if you want (or need) to go all the way to Expert - most companies will offer you a bundle of training at a competitive price even if you already have one course.

Good luck!

Claire