Options

Have you gone to Mechanical Keyboard yet?

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
I've been using this Mechanical keyboard for a little while and I can tell the difference.

I don't get fatigued while typing as I did - It feels almost effortless to type. Using the keyboard at the CLI, and typing up two sets of notes (Don't ask) it's pretty awesome. I should've done it before!

...Although, I wouldn't recommend the mechanical keyboard I have. I don't like what the internals look like :P

Does anyone else use a mechanical keyboard?
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Interesting. I wasn't aware such a thing existed until I just googled them. Very interesting, but also expensive.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I keep hearing how awesome they are and I have been tempted but I don't want to spend that kind of money for work which is where 99 percent of my typing is done lol. I have heard they are nosier but at home I type more on my iPad touch screen than a keyboard.

I think I have to try one first hand though to see if it is worth it.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i never left

i still use my old dec keyboard with no windows button
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    is it really worth the money?
    what's wrong with a normal keyboard? O_o
  • Options
    You could always buy it, if you don't like it, return it!

Bestbuy and now walmart carries the Razer Blackwidow. If you don't like it, but like the typing feel - you can return it and get a different mechanical keyboard. I hear "Ducky" are what's the top of the line in terms of quality.

It doesn't feel like I'm putting as much pressure to type, for me atleast. It's not tiring and my fingers don't hurt after hours of labbing.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I switched to a mechanical keyboard and I love it. It's a lot more comfortable to type on for hours on end than my old keyboard was. I related the mechanical keyboard purchase to when I worked on an automotive plant floor. The one tool I used 100% of the time was my boots, so I would never wear a cheap pair of boots that were uncomfortable.

After using many different mechanical keyboards I found my favorite to be the following:
    Das Keyboard: The Mechanical Keyboard That Clicks
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I don't have one myself, but you can buy an inexpensive mechanical keyboard @ monoprice for cheap...
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    krjay wrote: »
    I switched to a mechanical keyboard and I love it. It's a lot more comfortable to type on for hours on end than my old keyboard was. I related the mechanical keyboard purchase to when I worked on an automotive plant floor. The one tool I used 100% of the time was my boots, so I would never wear a cheap pair of boots that were uncomfortable.

After using many different mechanical keyboards I found my favorite to be the following:
    Das Keyboard: The Mechanical Keyboard That Clicks

WOW! That just screams NERD! LOL No keyboard labels? Love it...
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a small stack of these in my basement. They all have DIN-5 plugs though. I guess I could get an adapter if I wanted. They're kinda loud and obnoxious. The beige color has gone to a strange beigy-yellowy color. Pretty ugly. Wonder if I could sell them on eBay. They are mechanical.

Ahh... what is old is new again. Been there, done that. I'll pass this time around.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's hard for me to justify the $100-$130 for a keyboard. I have not spent money on a personal keyboard since, well, ever. I purchased a Gateway desktop in the year 2001 and I am still using the keyboard that came with it.

I definitely like what I'm seeing as I read about them, but are they really worth it? I've never noticed typing fatigue from gaming -- only from extremely long (6+ hours) writing or coding sessions.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    I'm willing to spend the extra buck for something I use all the time. Monitors, Keyboard and Mice. Keyboard wise, If this razer keyboard breaks (I'm counting the days), I'll be buying another mechanical keyboard.

Apparently you can add silicon to make the typing feel smoother by disassembling the switch.

Graphics, CPU speed... it's not used 100% all the time so I find it's hard for me to shell down big bucks for something like that all the time. It's why as much as I'd like to, I can't find myself buying a 3D monitor. I'd rarely use that feature.

I've used a lot of different keyboards, most of which being the dome's. I don't know what to say, you really do need to try it and see.

I've done a little research though, the blue switches are great for typing. Razer's have cherry mx blues (blue topped).

• Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Reseven wrote: »
    I have a small stack of these in my basement. They all have DIN-5 plugs though. I guess I could get an adapter if I wanted. They're kinda loud and obnoxious. The beige color has gone to a strange beigy-yellowy color. Pretty ugly. Wonder if I could sell them on eBay. They are mechanical.

Ahh... what is old is new again. Been there, done that. I'll pass this time around.

Certain types of really old mechanical keyboards are selling for a ton of money on ebay right now. I was reading about it somewhere and I can't remember the brand or type of keyboard but I'll try to find the article.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Never heard such a thing until this thread
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    It's crazy to me that so many people have never heard of or considered mechanical keyboards.

Something like the IBM Model M, for example (likely the most well known of the 'clicky' keyboards that you could easily find on ebay).

I have the Das Ultimate Model S w/ Cherry MX blues. The only other keyboard I've been tempted by is the Mac Bluetooth one, but only for my second desk or to use at home (and with my iPad).
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The IBM Model M is still the best keyboard that I've ever used. My only wish is that I had the split version. There used to be a split version that sold for a short while. But these days I stick to the Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard. I can't type as fast as on the Model M and I miss that tactile feel but the shape of the newer keyboard fits me better.
  • Options
    benjaminallenbenjaminallen Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a 1987 IBM Model M - seriously, the best keyboard ever. Smooth, very fast - yet also very loud. It has this "buckling spring" stuff that makes it VERY clicky. I love the sound personally. If you can pick one up on ebay - do it, you will not regret it. If you want a newer version of said keyboard - you're in luck. IBM sold all of their stuff to Lexmark, who in turn sold their stuff to Unicomp. Lexmark changed stuff in the early 90's - so it's a little diffrent, but it has the same great feel and durability. From what I can tell they sell them for $79 and up. http://pckeyboard.com/
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    If you've had someone in the cubical next to you with a mechanical keyboard you would certainly not advise people to get them. It's torture!!! Clickity click click click....STOP IT!
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    They have quiet mechanical keyboards you know. They are all the rage. Just saying. Do your research before you buy and you will be happier than a Catfish at a rodeo.
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    I have a Filco mechanical KB. It was very expensive, was it worth it... I don't know!

It does feel extremely different than a normal Dell keyboard for example, so much nicer. When I had to go to college after using my Filco, my fingers would hurt lol.
    Now I only use my laptop and this. It is loud, but I quite like the sound and you get used to it.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Pffftt I use a Morse Code Keyboard
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I have been looking at switching to a mechanical keyboard for the last few days. I am eyeing the Monoprice one. What is wrong with your blackwidow? I have heard bad things about the quality of razor speaking of which.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have three Das Keyboards - one (Ultimate model) for home and two (Professional models) for my desk at work. I'm on a keyboard constantly and tactility makes a huge difference in my work experience. I've actually considered buying a fourth one for a second home workstation.

My co-workers apparently put up with it. The less I have to fight a keyboard, the smoother and quicker I can get things done.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    WOW, that just screams NERD! LOL No keyboard labels? Love it...

It's brilliant - using it for years now .. Freaks people out if I ask them to type stuff (i.e. passwords) ..

Biggest mistake you can make when using this : Look at the keyboard lol - I found when I look at the keyboard I "lose track" and have to look away to get the letters right lol ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I am surprised most haven't heard of these. But then again, they are popular in the PC gaming community because we're all about peripherals. ;)

However, I still use a Saitek Eclipse keyboard, mainly because I recently received one as a gift. And even an avid gamer, I am struggling having to drop so much money on either a keyboard or mouse. I use both the Eclipse II and Logitech MX518 both at work and home. Both mice are going 3 years strong of heavy IT work and gaming. Problem with Saitek keyboards is the paint on the keys rubs off within a year or less.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Pffftt I use a Morse Code Keyboard

Ahhhhhh, but is it a straight key or paddles? I prefer paddles.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I am surprised most haven't heard of these. But then again, they are popular in the PC gaming community...
    They are also very popular in the old fart community because we remember when those were the only types of keyboards available... icon_wink.gif I am glad the gamers are getting hip to how we used to do things.
  • Options
    kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm using a Adesso, and it's the best keyboard I've used in years. Nothing like that mechanical "click" when you press a key. Reminds me of the olden days. The typing noise bugs the crap out of my chatty female accountant cube mates. Until they learn to stop gossiping, they will continue to hear my keyboard. lol
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    For people that are thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard, but do not want the noise there are different types of switches. From the ones I have looked at the Cherry MX switches are the most common, and they come in a few different types. This post I found should cover all MX and others.

Mechanical Keyboard Guide

Edit: Another thing that I saw were that most people did not want to pay for the mechanical price, but they will last a lot longer than rubber-dome keyboard by a long shot
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle