Have you gone to Mechanical Keyboard yet?

2»

Comments

• Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I saw that in my email this morning, and got one as soon as I got up. For $40 I can not complain.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This thread inspired me to purchase the DAS Ultimate keyboard, the one with blank keys. I typically go for free two-day shipping with Amazon; however I was excited for this one and purchased the one-day shipping and it arrived this morning. I went with Cherry MX Blue switches. I work alone in my office, so annoying others with sound is a non-issue. This thing ROCKS. It reminds me of typing on a typewriter, only with a more tactile feel.

A purchase like this also makes you much more aware of quality. This keyboard is solid as a rock, and using anything else at this point would feel cheap. I'm loving it so far. I may go ahead and purchase another with Cherry MX Brown switches for my home PC. My wife would probably go insane if I brought the super clicky one home, I'm a hard typist as it is.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One converter to the Mechanical way! Rep, Sir. Enjoy the bad-assery that is you.

Edit: Not Censored. Wee!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

The monoprice one I got just came in yesterday. I only used it for a few seconds, since my main desktop is down for repairs/upgrades. Even in the few keystrokes that I did the keyboard's switches felt great. I just love the sound of the clicks of the switchs. Even for a really cheap mech keyboard it seemed very solid. I guess we will see in a few months how it holds up.
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    YFZblu wrote: »
    This thread inspired me to purchase the DAS Ultimate keyboard, the one with blank keys. I typically go for free two-day shipping with Amazon; however I was excited for this one and purchased the one-day shipping and it arrived this morning. I went with Cherry MX Blue switches. I work alone in my office, so annoying others with sound is a non-issue. This thing ROCKS. It reminds me of typing on a typewriter, only with a more tactile feel.

A purchase like this also makes you much more aware of quality. This keyboard is solid as a rock, and using anything else at this point would feel cheap. I'm loving it so far. I may go ahead and purchase another with Cherry MX Brown switches for my home PC. My wife would probably go insane if I brought the super clicky one home, I'm a hard typist as it is.

Welcome to the club, you made a great keyboard choice. Learn from my mistake and don't let dust accumulate on/in it. I'm a bit of a clean freak but I was forced to take the keyboard apart to get the dust out, and it was not a fun process. It takes quite a bit of patience to get that keyboard apart without breaking it.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
    Another thing that I think is cool, is that if you have a mech keyboard that takes cherry MX switches and are standard size keys, then there are millions of keycaps you can switch to. Say that you do not like the escape key then buy this
    Red Cherry MX Laser Etched "Escape Sign" Keycap Row 4 Size 1x1 | eBay
    I think eventually I am going to start changing mine out. geekhack - Index also has a pretty good keycap vendor forum from what I have been told.
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • The_RiskbreakerThe_Riskbreaker Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So, if i'm a writer and not a gamer, I assume it's still good to get Cherry Red or Blue switches because they require the least amount of force. Two questions?

1. Is Newegg the best place to get these? I know they're good for tech in general, but should I be shopping a smaller or speciality site?
    2. Since I write all the time, and noise is not an issue as I live alone, I don't necessarilly need a quiet one. But I also don't need twenty or more extra buttons for the MMO's i'm not playing. Any recommendations on standard size models?

Edit: I am in the process of learning to type home row. So the Das Blank is not a good idea.

Thanks!
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cherry Blues are best for typing. Effortless.

I've heard "ducky" keyboards are the best mechanical keyboard. I don't know if you can get those at Newegg or not. As well as I haven't used them myself.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    So, if i'm a writer and not a gamer, I assume it's still good to get Cherry Red or Blue switches because they require the least amount of force. Two questions?

1. Is Newegg the best place to get these? I know they're good for tech in general, but should I be shopping a smaller or speciality site?
    2. Since I write all the time, and noise is not an issue as I live alone, I don't necessarilly need a quiet one. But I also don't need twenty or more extra buttons for the MMO's i'm not playing. Any recommendations on standard size models?

Edit: I am in the process of learning to type home row. So the Das Blank is not a good idea.

Thanks!

1. Newegg is where I've gotten my 4 mechanical keyboards, always had the best price on the particular model I've wanted at the time.
    2. I'd recommend Das Keyboard Pro (it has labels on keys). Of all the mechanical keyboards I've used I recommend Das Keyboard to everyone. I believe it's the best keyboard aesthetically, and functionality wise.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Razer blackwidow is what I use :) and I love it!
  • The_RiskbreakerThe_Riskbreaker Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Found out about those Ducky Keyboards. $150 or so. The Das Keyboard seems like a better deal, as Newegg sells it for $125 with free shipping. Here's to hoping it lives up to the hype.
    Here's the link for those who care: Newegg Link