Options

Initial phone interview dreaded "So what type of salary are you looking for question"

Hey guys well I was called about a Techical Services Manager position in the WDC area. The phone screening process went well, and I think she thought I was a strong candidate. Once it came to the salary, professionally and poloitiley I chose not to devulge that infomation. I had said, I am happy to come in for an interview if you all think I am a strong candidate and if an offer is extended we can talk about salary. I also mentioned salary is only part of the compentation package. I think I did well she kinda hinted I wouldnt be considered if I didnt indicate a salary, which I am perfectly fine with that. If they get me, they will get their moneys worth. I go all in :) I didnt say that but thats how I approach my work. I hope I get chosen for an interview, we will see. I will keep you all posted. Got to say thanks to you all but I got tips from the forum about this subject.

Comments

• Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's to lose? I would say that you should have at least given them a ballpark. In a phone interview, the hiring company still has the leverage. You don't want to lose out on a chance for an in-person just because you didn't feel comfortable disclosing pay.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why is this a dreaded qustion? People should know what they are willing to take as payment for their services, at least a range. I never understand these slary games people play. What happens when you get deep into the interview process and find out they only want to pay half what you want to make? Everyone's time is wasted.

Good luck with the job though!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed w/ networker. I don't find this part of the process bad, I actually like it. Why? Because I've had companies interview me..I'm talking 2 interviews with TEAMS of engineers..diagrams, etc..only to offer me 20% less than I am willing to take. It's a waste of everyones time. Had they asked me upfront, we could have saved everyone's time.

OP, you are absolutely right that salary is only part of the compensation package- and that's something I make clear everytime I talk salary with a prospective employer. I'm never concerned with my base salary (obviously it has to be in a certain range), I'm more concerned with other forms of compensation..training, vacation days, opportunities for experience, etc..
  • Options
    holysheetmanholysheetman Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Right. I'm agreeing with the above posters about the fact that you should already go in knowing what you are worth. Don't cut yourself short either. Measure up what you currently make, and add in the scope of your job duties (yes even those pesky duties that are out of your scope and you don't necessarily get paid for).
  • Options
    Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    I cant commit salary when I dont know the entire benfits package. Im not going to do that. She wouldnt even give me their salary range. So how I am playing games?

Salary is only part of the entire package, health care, vacation, retirement, heath wellness etc. If all this is disclosed then I could understand but to ask salary is just a portion. Nah been there dont that.

I have nothing to loose, so I leveraged it and we will see what happends.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Heny- one thing to consider, may be giving them a "ballpark" salary with the caveat that you ultimately would like to see the entire package before settling on a number. This allows you flexibility with regards to salary, and gives them a rough number to work with. Just a thought. Good luck though- let us know how it goes (hopefully well!)
  • Options
    Honestly I don't have a problem going through the process, interviewing etc. If it's something I want I'm going for it, plus it's always good to do in my opinion, interviewing I mean. You get better each time and your negotiation skills get better, you look for certain things that you may have forgotten about or you weren't aware of, until you all ready commit. You'd be surprise what you could of got or not, just by not knowing or not asking.
  • Options
    @Mrock4, thanks I hope they call me. But if not oh well.
  • Options
    Agree with Mrock4. Even not knowing the whole package I'm sure you have a ballpark in mind. Even if its a ~$20k range or so at least see if you are capable of playing ball. You can't tell us you have no idea what kind of salary you are looking for...
  • Options
    @networker050184 I agree, I did have an idea but once she wouldnt say the range for the position. I chose not to say what I am looking for. Thinking this in my mind, we had a polite conversation which went well. But I wasnt going to box myself in on salary when I didnt know the range for they were willing to commit to. All water under the bridge now.
  • Options
    I like the dialogue were having icon_cool.gif.
  • Options
    I've been interviewing a lot of people lately and I'll tell you what, they better tell us what they want to make or we'll just move onto the next guy. We've already wasted time with a couple people that end up asking for outrageous salaries once it gets down to the job offer phase. We already have a range set by HR. No matter what you say or how well you interview it isn't going to go any higher or lower.
  • Options
    I agree, I guess my resume was going in the trash bin @networker050184 icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Yep you're doomed to work at McDonalds the rest of your life!
  • Options
    Yep you're doomed to work at McDonalds the rest of your life!

Ouch @networker050184
  • Options
    Sorry forgot my smiely :D

I'm sure its no big deal, but don't hold out too long. No point in wasting people's time as I said earlier.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with most peeps on this one, giving an idea is good. However, I do see it as a bit of a game. The last two jobs they asked me over the phone, just like you experienced. I wasn't super knowledgeable about the title and the company as far as how much they pay so i gave a random number that seemed to be pretty high in my opinion at the time. BOTH times, I ended up coming on the LOW end of what they were expecting to pay someone. What happened after that? They wrote up the offer with exactly how much I had stated.

Now, not all companies are like that but just be sure you put some thought into that number. The whole "ballpark" thing can be taking literally, even if you say it like "somewhere around_____". That number could be what they take and run with.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    I agree with most peeps on this one, giving an idea is good. However, I do see it as a bit of a game. The last two jobs they asked me over the phone, just like you experienced. I wasn't super knowledgeable about the title and the company as far as how much they pay so i gave a random number that seemed to be pretty high in my opinion at the time. BOTH times, I ended up coming on the LOW end of what they were expecting to pay someone. What happened after that? They wrote up the offer with exactly how much I had stated.

Now, not all companies are like that but just be sure you put some thought into that number. The whole "ballpark" thing can be taking literally, even if you say it like "somewhere around_____". That number could be what they take and run with.

I agree, especially in the DC area where you can pay very easy 3k+ a year in parking, didnt even get into communting cost. Most of the times this is told you on the FIRST day you work [If you didnt ask prior], oh after you agreed on your salary. So take 3k off that lets just say stuff like that it can easily add up. And also heath care cost and what not are usually shown to you untill your first day after you agreed on a salary, might cost more might cost less. It adds up, Im just saying. So far I wasnt told ahead of time oh yeah it cost this much do park etc here just a heads up before you say a salary.

Now we can say, well the employer is paying me to perfrom a duty, which I understand but these costs add up before I can even perform my duties I might be in a pickle. What you thought was a good deal might not be. Im just saying. Just my opinion, so this was why I didnt give them an amount expecially since they did give a range in which they were willing to pay for the position, all done politly and with respect to the lady and I think she understood. We didnt get into all this, the examples I just mentioned. It was just a brief dialog about salary expectations thats all.
  • Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    With regards to what f0rgiv3n said, how do you graciously recover from low balling yourself? I have seen several people take up positions well below the market rate (which at the time, the money that they were being offered was relatively a lot from what they were making) and then once they discover the true market rate of the position they try and renegotiate.
  • Options
    atorven wrote: »
    With regards to what f0rgiv3n said, how do you graciously recover from low balling yourself?

You don't. You do proper research before hand to know your value so you don't have to worry about that! Always be proactive not reactive.
  • Options
    Just becuase a website may have what a position may pay. Doesnt mean they [the company follows], high or low. We all can agree on that
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You don't.

This. Unfortunately, it's pretty rude in my opinion if you state one number and then go back and say "wait wait wait... I want 10k more". Because when they made the decision to hire you and write up that offer, they took the number you gave them into consideration as a portion of why they decided to hire you. No matter if it's high or low, that number is taken into consideration. If it's high "are they worth that much? Yes, absolutely" that means they REALLY want you. If it's low, "wow we could get this guy for cheap and even if he doesn't match all our criteria he could grow into it".

Sorry, just blabbing now... lol.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Our company re-evaluated the pay for it's employees and if people were found to be underpaid, they brought them up to where they "should be". This didn't affect me but it did others.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't be afraid to find out what you're worth and ask for it. Why is this such a scary part? At some point during the process you're going to find out if the salary is to your liking or not. Might as well find out early.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    I dread the thought of getting this question, because I am just starting out. I don't know what to say.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To me it depends on when the question is asked whether I like it or not. When working with recruiters I hate that you have to agree on it before you are even submitted and really know what the job is. But having a minimum in place beforehand can help the process.
    Today I had a phone interview for an IT Auditor position. It was just a basic prescreen with the company's recruiter and she didn't know anything about the position. When she asked what I was looking for I replied that I really needed to know the full scope and expectations of the position to know what I would need and that I am looking more for the opportunity to learn than exact pay. However, I did give her the minimum I would need to leave where I work currently. I want to grow and learn new things, but I still have to feed my family.
    Also, I have been involved in interviews that were wasted over pay. I was subtmitted for a position at X salary. I did a phone screen with the owner. She liked me and I then went in the next week for the Wonderlic test. After that, the owner tells the recruiter that she was really looking for somone in the range $10k less than what I was submitted at. We negotiate for $5k less than my original submittal and I go in for a face to face with the owner (3rd week). A couple days later the owner decides I cost too much and is going to move forward interviewing someone submitted at $20k less than I was. I went through scrounging time off work over 3 interviews in 2 weeks just for the owner to say that I was too much after she originally moved forward at a higher salary. What a waste of time.
    To sum it up, I recommend a minimum early on without going to exact if you can.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    OP, what is your current salary? total compensation? how much would it take to leave?

When you are looking for a job, you should have already calculated what you need to make. For example, when i was looking i calculated my salary, bonus, and perks like company car, home internet, cell phone, parking, transportation.... and came up with my current overall compensation. Lets say that number is 90k for example. Then, i came up with what i would need in order to move jobs. Lets say i would need an overall compensation between 100-120k. You really should make this a range, with a minimum, and ideal number.

Typically, in an interview they ask you first what your salary is. When they ask, i have no problem telling them that my "overall compensation is 90k". You really shouldnt have a problem giving this out because they are going to find out what it is anyway, and they understand that you obviously arent going to switch for the same salary. Sometimes they want the actual salary in which case i tell them, then i mention what else i include as my total compensation.

Then they typically ask what you are looking for. Here, i would usually say im open to negotiate, as i am mostly focused on finding the right position and company. Rarely has anyone gone further to press me for a number after that until we are close to an offer. But if they do, give them the number on the high side of your range. Also helpful here is to do some research as folks have mentioned to get an idea of what the position might pay.

Once you get to that point let them mention a number first, but if they really press, again, give them the high point in your range. You may want to give a number somewhere in the middle even. Remember you will probably want to counter the offer anyway.

Really though, if you work this out before hand, you really should have no problem disclosing this early on if pressed about it because as others have mentioned it will only serve to prevent wasting time(yours and theirs).
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why is this a dreaded qustion? People should know what they are willing to take as payment for their services, at least a range. I never understand these slary games people play. What happens when you get deep into the interview process and find out they only want to pay half what you want to make? Everyone's time is wasted.

Good luck with the job though!

I Couldnt agree more! this happened to me recently where the salary negotiations happened at the end. This was after many interviews and even powerpoint presentations! They offered way under market rate and what i was asking. I went in high with the expectation to negotiate down but they were wayyyy down. Sadly, the person was not in a position to negotiate or offer me anything else salary wise (i have no idea how if you are interviewing candidates). Unfortunately, the role could not progress any further. Real shame as its a company i would have loved to work for. After that, i always got the impression that i came off badly in their eyes.

Moral of the story, always state your salary expectations early on!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Is this an ITIL heavy TSM job with a group thats in the Washington Navy Yard or working closely with it? If so let me know because I already talked to her (not at all interested due to other reasons) and she told me the salary cap (since I asked for more than it).

I generally ask for what I want, aim a bit high. If we arent in the same ballpark, well I don't care because I wouldn't take the job anyway, and if we are close normally they will let me know and we negotiate.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    No this isnt a gov't contractor, I do IT work in Law firms. I actually called her back and disclosed my current total comp. After hearing everyone thoughts I wouldnt want this to be the reason why we couldnt go further meaning the interview. So they atleast know how much I make now. The avg. most people leave is 10-15% so if they have that in their budget and I get the offer I will take it. Thats way down the line, I need to secure the interview first. So thanks everyone for your feedback I really enjoyed the dialogue, I hope this helps others as well.