Options

Initial phone interview dreaded "So what type of salary are you looking for question"

2»

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is something that always burned me about companies, just list the salary range you want to pay. That is the reason I like government and university jobs they'll give you the range of the salary. You waste everyones time when you get through the entire interview process, you want to offer them the job, and then find out what you wanted to pay was too low. At the same time, I always provide a range as to what I would like. My first job they strung me along (basically they had an internal candidate they thought they'd give it too and then he asked for a lot more then they wanted to pay). So when they called me six months later and asked if I was interested then asked the range, I upped it by $5k. When the Director said "last time it was this" I merely replied "that was last time." Yes a ballsy move, but I was entertaining another offer at the time that looked promising so I wasn't worried.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if you know the name of the company, you could always go on their website and check under benefits, if its listed.

and i prefer them ask what i'm looking for, this way, my time isnt wasted. if i'm looking for X amount, and they're tryin to pay less than that, i dont want to find out after 2 or 3 rounds of interviews.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I might give a range in that situation if I fully understand the scope and requirements of the position. If not, then I will not.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was once in the same situation ... If they don't want to give me the whole package then I usually give them an answer based on what I am on now and whether I want to stick with it ...

"My current salary is X and I'd like to exceed that by Y. Assuming there are now additional benefits I'd need to earn at least Z".

When people throw in "we pay up xyz bonus" I usually ask (mainly the recruiter at that point) if that is part of the contract. Knowing full well it a. isn't and b. usually takes a year to have full access to the bonus, meaning it may change until then or cut completely.. So I always based my salary on "no-bonus" rules :) - As I simply can't count on it.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Heny '06 wrote: »
    Just becuase a website may have what a position may pay. Doesnt mean they [the company follows], high or low. We all can agree on that

The point is, if they're not willing to pay you what you know you're worth, why would you want to work there? Salary discussions should be taken care of almost immediately. If the company isn't willing to divulge what they're going to pay in the description, then they should be willing to discuss this first. If they're not going to pay me what I'm expecting or what I know I'm worth then the rest is wasted time. People say it's not about the money, but if it wasn't then we'd all be working for free. Get it over in the first discussion. If a company is uncomfortable discussing it right away, then they don't have their head on straight. Avoid completely.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Maybe at first in your early job(s) you will feel this is kind of a wall you hit
    Personally when I first began working I just wanted a job, I didnt care about pay.

But after a while you know what you are worth and its correct and saves time for both party when both company who is interviewing you and you know each other's salary points.
    If they ask you, be straight, tell them what you want.
    meh
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Even if its a ~$20k range or so at least see if you are capable of playing ball.

I find this post very helpful because I never knew such a large range would be viewed as acceptable. It then seems as if it would be as simple as knowing what others are paid for your "title" when stating what type of range you find desirable.

(Salary newbie here - trying to figure things out)
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    This is an easy one for me. I usually add $5-10K over what I'm really looking for give the caveat that I would be willing to accept less if the benefits were right. It's a lot easier to negotiate down and it's expected but it's almost impossible to negotiate up after you've given a number. If they want you bad enough, they will counter your number. If they freak out about $5-10K more or don't negotiate, they weren't going to pay you anywhere close to what you wanted and you should move on unless there is another reason you want the job (experience, benefits, etc)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It doesn't matter what you think you are worth. It matters what the company thinks you are worth.
    You may be worth $50k to Company A or $100k to Company B.

As a hiring manager, I do agree with setting your salary requirements as early as possible during the hiring process. We have to play this game way more than any individual prospective employee. If you say you want X but are willing to negotiate, we know you will take Y. Making it clear that you will take no less than X will save everyone time and frustration.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    It's even worse when you're contract-to-hire, and you're told what the hire-on rate would be up front by RecruiterA.

You contract with the company 4 months, and then the company sends you in to talk to HR one morning, and the offer is 20K less than what was agreed to four months ago.

My response to HR: Give me 24 hours to make my decision.

Immediately after speaking to HR, I called a RecruiterB I knew, and asked him if he had another job paying what I wanted. He said yes. I made arrangements with him that evening.

I went in the next day, refused their low-ball offer, and put in my two weeks notice.

It really is a tragedy to waste the time of both parties like that.

A year later, RecruiterA is calling me, saying the company really wishes they had me, etc. LOL, it's ridiculous at this point. If they REALLY wanted me, they would have REALLY paid me.

We're grown ups now. People do forms of labor for forms of payment. It's that simple.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Bose4meBose4me Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well...did you ever hear back from them?
    Did the potential employer ever call you back for an interview?

btw, this is definitely helping me out.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ask them what the salary range for the position is.

And figure out what you're worth salary-wise. I like Robert Half's 2013 IT Salary Survey for starters.
  • Options
    BigMevyBigMevy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OP, what is your current salary? total compensation? how much would it take to leave?

When you are looking for a job, you should have already calculated what you need to make. For example, when i was looking i calculated my salary, bonus, and perks like company car, home internet, cell phone, parking, transportation.... and came up with my current overall compensation. Lets say that number is 90k for example. Then, i came up with what i would need in order to move jobs. Lets say i would need an overall compensation between 100-120k. You really should make this a range, with a minimum, and ideal number.

Really though, if you work this out before hand, you really should have no problem disclosing this early on if pressed about it because as others have mentioned it will only serve to prevent wasting time(yours and theirs).

Great advice if you're already employed but shopping for a new gig. On the other hand, if you're unemployed and a little desperate it changes things a bit. As some others have said, the same arguments could be made for a company simply listing the range they are willing to pay. That keeps people from applying if the salary is far too low and they would be wasting time.

The bottom line is if you don't disclose a salary range, whether you're the employer or potential employee, you're trying to get an advantage in negotiations. Both parties should be up front in my opinion.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wont lie I get asked this question constantly over the phone. It always makes me uncomfortable and I don't know why. I have made a habit now of telling recruiters upfront what im currently making, I have had lengthy conversations with recruiters only to find out they are offering half the salary of what im currently making, this is to weed out certain recruiters before having a lengthy conversation.
    Perfect example was a call from a recruiter for a NOC position with Cisco. We talked for a bit he liked my military background. I was getting kind of excited without showing it, the job would require a commute from where I live to Raleigh, NC. Which is about an hour from where I live. When it came down to it they were only offering 12.50 an hour. Head Scratcher. I politely declinded, but pondered how in the world anyone could afford commuting over an hour for that kind of pay, and why a recruiter would call someone who would have to commute that far.
    So from that point on when a recruiter asks me why Im looking I usually tell them that I always keep my ears up, the job is ok, but im looking for a high pace network enviroment, and what my pay scale is.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    Bose4me wrote: »
    Well...did you ever hear back from them?
    Did the potential employer ever call you back for an interview?

btw, this is definitely helping me out.

Nope I didnt. If a company keeps their cards that close to there chest then it probably wasnt going to work. Im glad I could help others on this subject, should be discussed more to better prep people. I just think this day in age where salary is only part of the compensation package. You shouldn't ask this question to a potential employee with out the entire package laid out then you make a INFORMED decsion. Examples, work from home, affoarable health care, profit sharing, bonuses etc. this factors in to your salary negotiations. You might take less or might need more based on thier benefits but with out this information you never know and its not really fair. Its stupid to force me to say how much Im willing to make when 1.) No salary range is given or doesnt want to be discussed. Please its 2013!

Keep the dialogue going, I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts.
  • Options
    Blackout wrote: »
    It always makes me uncomfortable and I don't know why.

You are uncomfortable because you got a salary in mind and you are afraid that this is the reason you won't get an offer ; because you know your expectations are above the average, you gamble or simply because you undervalue yourself.

All the above should not stop you from being honest as eventually, if / when you agree to a lower salary, you are leaving for a better paid job.
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Know what your worth and your bottom line. If your currently making 80k looking for another gig and they ask you for salary range, I would tell them 95-115 but make sure your happy with these numbers. Sometimes the job description and title helps. It doesn't make sense to ask similar compensation for a helpdesk job. When I was getting into the IT field, these small companies would ask me about my current salary and match it. I got a bit smarter and told them how much I was making by increasing the number to 20% to get what I want.

Where I work, HR has a policy that requires the minimum to be paid, the range is advertised but there is always another range on top of that which is hidden and requires CEO signature if the hiring manager thinks your special. Make sure to do your research and know how much your worth. If I decide to change jobs in the future, I'll make sure the pay is 25% more because I know how much my skillsets are worth.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    What bothers me more are exactly those ranges advertised. If I am on 60k and the ranges given are 40-70k - naturally I want 70k - for some reason though, companies want to pay you max. you current salary rather than the obvious "raise" everyone wants. So most people advertise their salary higher to begin with, to get that higher range - which then in turn makes you uneasy to talk about your current salary as you never know if it back fires.