Options

Why not A.A.S?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Look into transferring your AAS to University of Maryland online. Your AAS will transfer by class, so you could possibly transfer in all 60 credits.

As the previous poster mentioned, AAS does have cert classes which dont usually transfer but the BS program at UoM does require cert classes. Which can be transferred in or waived.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Alas, to each his own young one. Do I have a degree you wonder? Unfortunately a very expensive one. Maybe after you achieve your amazing degree you will be able to read between the lines of what I wrote.

Education does not equal a "degree", think on that

Alas, I do not care if you have a degree. I'm well into my forties. I have read your dehumanizing and insulting posts and other than it being a fine indicator of the hobgoblin that is a little mind and there is little room for misinterpretation. Really, your opinions are about the last thing I would pay attention to and as you think back upon the many times you applied the term "worthless" to another person, just look in the mirror. Now, I bid your verbal rubbish...farewell. Any reply should not be on this thread or public.
  • Options
    DoctorYikesDoctorYikes Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Another one of those Old Dudes Doing an AAS here (38 ). Trying to make the transition over from healthcare. Really enjoying the program so far, and it seems pretty marketable -- at least in my area. It's an InfoSec AAS, and there are some 2+2 programs with a local 4-year state uni.

They do pack quite a few certs into the material. By the time I'm done, I'll be looking at CCNA Security, Sec+, Linux+, LPIC-1. Getting to do a good portion of the coursework online, as well, which is a must for my current job (Doing about 50 hours a week).
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Another one of those Old Dudes Doing an AAS here (38 ). Trying to make the transition over from healthcare. Really enjoying the program so far, and it seems pretty marketable -- at least in my area. It's an InfoSec AAS, and there are some 2+2 programs with a local 4-year state uni.

They do pack quite a few certs into the material. By the time I'm done, I'll be looking at CCNA Security, Sec+, Linux+, LPIC-1. Getting to do a good portion of the coursework online, as well, which is a must for my current job (Doing about 50 hours a week).

You present another scenario that I forgot about that I think is a reasonable use of an IT AAS. If you already have a 4-year degree in something else and are changing careers, and need a education "bridge" into IT. If I were in that situation, knowing what I know now, I am pretty sure I wouldn't sink my money into ANOTHER 4-year BS degree. I might would go master's after a couple of years in IT though... depends on the end goal.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    hixantumhixantum Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think 1 thing people fail to point out in this thread is the fact, that most useful certs, unlike degrees, can be easily obtained with a $250 fee & a braindump, thanks to the internet.
    I remember reading that a degree especially a quantitative one (STEM), shows that a candidate is trainable, & for the most part can obtain almost any cert legitimately if given the right resources.
    Here in Maryland, A.A. in Comp Sci & Information Systems, & maybe even Engineering, certainly do hold weight, but certainly not over work experience. If one eventually eventually wants a job outside the industry, as they grow older, I know a quantitative degree will hold more weight than high level certs.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hixantum wrote: »
    I think 1 thing people fail to point out in this thread is the fact, that most useful certs, unlike degrees, can be easily obtained with a $250 fee & a braindump, thanks to the internet.

The thread is about AAS degrees, so why even bring up ****? You can **** via **** and you can **** with your degree.

That said, getting my AAS was a good decision for me, as it transferred into WGU, saving time and money.
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »

That said, getting my AAS was a good decision for me, as it transferred into WGU, saving time and money.

Same here. My AAS took out a nice chunk of credits at WGU. Because of it, I was able to finish in one term.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    hixantumhixantum Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ah my bad, I was only familiar with AA & AS What is the difference between Associate of Science and Associate of Arts Degree AA all the way for an eventual bachelors of science degree.
  • Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ah my bad, I was only familiar with AA & AS What is the difference between Associate of Science and Associate of Arts Degree AA all the way for an eventual bachelors of science degree.

Good article and it pretty much states what others have talked about in the thread.
    However, it is strongly recommended that a student who is seeking to transfer to a four year institution at a later date, make an appointment with a Transfer Counselor at the Community College for the pros and cons of AAS transfer as well as more detailed information

Hatch
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365

Certification is not a replacement for a degree.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ^^^ Certifications will complement your degree and the experience you have.
  • Options
    tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in a similar but yet different situation. I, too, went straight to university after graduating from high school. I graduated with a double major in History and Political Science and then went to graduate school for library and information science (in which I don't regret either choices but my timing was poor). On top of volunteering and interning in libraries since my graduation 3 years ago, I have been working in as a AT&T Wireless Customer Care contractor (yes, I'm one of the people you dread calling) providing end user call tech support (cannot make calls, send or receive texts and data and basic operating system support) along with answering general account, billing and rate plan questions. This brings me to my question: would this experience along with a little volunteer and personal experience would be enough or a entry level help desk job? Also given my experience would it be wise to go back to my local community college and get an Associates not because of the coursework but because the internships and networking or would I just be better off studying for the A+ and Network+ and go from there?
  • Options
    tjb122982 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar but yet different situation. I, too, went straight to university after graduating from high school. I graduated with a double major in History and Political Science and then went to graduate school for library and information science (in which I don't regret either choices but my timing was poor). On top of volunteering and interning in libraries since my graduation 3 years ago, I have been working in as a AT&T Wireless Customer Care contractor (yes, I'm one of the people you dread calling) providing end user call tech support (cannot make calls, send or receive texts and data and basic operating system support) along with answering general account, billing and rate plan questions. This brings me to my question: would this experience along with a little volunteer and personal experience would be enough or a entry level help desk job? Also given my experience would it be wise to go back to my local community college and get an Associates not because of the coursework but because the internships and networking or would I just be better off studying for the A+ and Network+ and go from there?

@tjb122982,
    One of my Masters degrees is in Library and Information Science (along with history and another humanities). I don't regret it at all but, as you know, it's tough. A good degree or post-Grad certificate to complement it is health informatics. I come from a family of physicians and it's a good way to enter into medical librarianship but also be equipped to utilize it beyond librarianship. Take advice here with a grain of salt. I imagine your program, like mine, gave you a firm grasp of researching and if you research your question, you will see that (generally, of course) with an MSLIS, an Associates will help given it relates directly to your goal and target industry.
    You're doing a good thing with internships and your experience is good. Now, I taught for years and my intent was to use this as a good way to get into intructional/information literacy librarianship. Yet, as you know probably, the MSLIS market has become terrible in academic libraries. Step off campus and in the biz world folks tend to see "library" and forget the "information science" aspect of our Masters. Highly technical but the old stereotypes exist. Records mgt. is good if you get some courses in Electronic Records Mgt/Content Mgt (see AiiM's website for this).
    Better forums for those with our degree as this one is mostly WGU related (not knocking WGU) and a quite diverse range of opinions regarding degrees. Certs will complement education/training.
    Whatever path you choose, networking amongst those in your target field is always a good idea. Knowing people on the "inside" is always a positive. You can do both certs and get an Associates or any other additional "add-on" degree as it can only help those with an MSLIS.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    @tjb122982,
    One of my Masters degrees is in Library and Information Science (along with history and another humanities). I don't regret it at all but, as you know, it's tough. A good degree or post-Grad certificate to complement it is health informatics. I come from a family of physicians and it's a good way to enter into medical librarianship but also be equipped to utilize it beyond librarianship. Take advice here with a grain of salt. I imagine your program, like mine, gave you a firm grasp of researching and if you research your question, you will see that (generally, of course) with an MSLIS, an Associates will help given it relates directly to your goal and target industry.
    You're doing a good thing with internships and your experience is good. Now, I taught for years and my intent was to use this as a good way to get into intructional/information literacy librarianship. Yet, as you know probably, the MSLIS market has become terrible in academic libraries. Step off campus and in the biz world folks tend to see "library" and forget the "information science" aspect of our Masters. Highly technical but the old stereotypes exist. Records mgt. is good if you get some courses in Electronic Records Mgt/Content Mgt (see AiiM's website for this).
    Better forums for those with our degree as this one is mostly WGU related (not knocking WGU) and a quite diverse range of opinions regarding degrees. Certs will complement education/training.
    Whatever path you choose, networking amongst those in your target field is always a good idea. Knowing people on the "inside" is always a positive. You can do both certs and get an Associates or any other additional "add-on" degree as it can only help those with an MSLIS.
    Good luck.

Well, I would look into record management and course management but all of my coursework and intern/volunteer experience points to public service/reference and instruction types of roles (which I still want to do in the end). Basically another way to put my question is would I be better off working on certs or start off at a community college (in order to build up my "advanced personal knowledge" into practical and marketable skills and also use going to school to land internships and volunteer experience) or just work on certs and start sending my resume to staffing firms. Besides being a librarian, I would say my second preference is landing a IT gig in a library, college/university, or a non-profit setting.
  • Options
    Well, I would look into record management and course management but all of my coursework and intern/volunteer experience points to public service/reference and instruction types of roles (which I still want to do in the end). Basically another way to put my question is would I be better off working on certs or start off at a community college (in order to build up my "advanced personal knowledge" into practical and marketable skills and also use going to school to land internships and volunteer experience) or just work on certs and start sending my resume to staffing firms. Besides being a librarian, I would say my second preference is landing a IT gig in a library, college/university, or a non-profit setting.

Typing quickly so I apologize for any typos right off.

I have been on three search committees for various "public service" positions in academic libraries. First, it has been about three years since I left librarianship (for now) but keep up with the hiring trends. You have several things that are, at least in my view, assets: Your MSLIS is not more than five years old. Even when the overall economy is great, the opportunities in academic librarianship are not. I will write a PM to you later in more detail as I don't have a lot of time at the moment. Yet, you can pick up (if you wanted to) records mgt certification (perhaps one of the most difficult certification exams I have ran across and it's comprised of six different exams...well worth it but no degree in it is required) and the various certificates from AiiM are quite nice and very respected and inside and outside of academe.
    IT roles will vary considerably by institution (due to budget, type of institution as the needs of, say, a large research university with several branch libraries will be different from a community college) but some general skills are always needed (not mentioned in the ads) and that would be knowledge of web design, basic networking and troubleshooting (always good to have someone nearby to fix someones "uh-oh" rather than call the IT dept, really, it wouldn't hurt to have A+ and Net+ but you will not see it in the ads particularly those listed on ALA's website and the Chronicle of Higher Ed. Honesty, by the time an ad reaches the Chronicle, they already have someone in mind: Networking with people will be the key above anything. The ads don't mention certs but you can see the skills and match them up.
    Having classroom teaching experience, as an adjunct in any subject, will help since Reference folks will probably be called upon to teach the info literacy 101 (or something akin to this) at some point. Best option is keep your IT skills up-to-date so you can work in special libraries as so many different opportunities are there under the aegis of "non-profit." Project Managment (CAPM or, if you have the experience, the PMP would be a gem for your CV/resume...project+ is worth considering since most applicants will not have it or the others), and in academe any cert you have probably is unknown to those on the hiring committee and this allows you to really market yourself regarding IT skills.
    I have to do more research but for a degree, in academic libraries, an Associates or higher will not hurt. Downside: Beyond the ivory tower, the more degrees one has, you'll get the "overqualified" label but it all comes down to realizing and accepting (you can fact-check this just to ensure that I'm accurate): Most jobs are never advertised so you absolutely must network with people, in our field the most qualified are not always or even statistically, the ones that get hired. Lots of paraprofessionals have degrees (Associates or higher) in IT related fields and the Deans will always push for any manner to cut costs and hiring skilled para's is exactly what's happening.
    There are certain areas that really need people and lack of experience (with an MSLIS) shouldn't be as big a problem and this is why I mention health informatics. It gives you the "health related" degree required along with the MSLIS to get into med/healthcare librarianship but, also, health informatics can stand on its own so that is an area needing people.
    "Advanced personal knowledge," you can do on your own but if you keep up with the IT skills you learned in your program, what will help in a library science job interview: Public speaking....if you can dazzle them in an interview, you will have a good chance of landing it.
    This type of interview is like a Broadway play, the committee was drafted and most don't want to be there, if you get to the interview stage, that's a big step. I've been in the room after an applicant leaves and, honestly, they're really just wanting someone they feel they can work with everyday and get along with, have the skills required and if you have something "unique" like project management...you're going to be ahead of many others. I'll write you later. Feel free to send me a private message. This is an area that only other MSLIS people will understand fully. Regarding specific degrees, I'll do some research and PM you later.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Typing quickly so I apologize for any typos right off.

I have been on three search committees for various "public service" positions in academic libraries. First, it has been about three years since I left librarianship (for now) but keep up with the hiring trends. You have several things that are, at least in my view, assets: Your MSLIS is not more than five years old. Even when the overall economy is great, the opportunities in academic librarianship are not. I will write a PM to you later in more detail as I don't have a lot of time at the moment. Yet, you can pick up (if you wanted to) records mgt certification (perhaps one of the most difficult certification exams I have ran across and it's comprised of six different exams...well worth it but no degree in it is required) and the various certificates from AiiM are quite nice and very respected and inside and outside of academe.
    IT roles will vary considerably by institution (due to budget, type of institution as the needs of, say, a large research university with several branch libraries will be different from a community college) but some general skills are always needed (not mentioned in the ads) and that would be knowledge of web design, basic networking and troubleshooting (always good to have someone nearby to fix someones "uh-oh" rather than call the IT dept, really, it wouldn't hurt to have A+ and Net+ but you will not see it in the ads particularly those listed on ALA's website and the Chronicle of Higher Ed. Honesty, by the time an ad reaches the Chronicle, they already have someone in mind: Networking with people will be the key above anything. The ads don't mention certs but you can see the skills and match them up.
    Having classroom teaching experience, as an adjunct in any subject, will help since Reference folks will probably be called upon to teach the info literacy 101 (or something akin to this) at some point. Best option is keep your IT skills up-to-date so you can work in special libraries as so many different opportunities are there under the aegis of "non-profit." Project Managment (CAPM or, if you have the experience, the PMP would be a gem for your CV/resume...project+ is worth considering since most applicants will not have it or the others), and in academe any cert you have probably is unknown to those on the hiring committee and this allows you to really market yourself regarding IT skills.
    I have to do more research but for a degree, in academic libraries, an Associates or higher will not hurt. Downside: Beyond the ivory tower, the more degrees one has, you'll get the "overqualified" label but it all comes down to realizing and accepting (you can fact-check this just to ensure that I'm accurate): Most jobs are never advertised so you absolutely must network with people, in our field the most qualified are not always or even statistically, the ones that get hired. Lots of paraprofessionals have degrees (Associates or higher) in IT related fields and the Deans will always push for any manner to cut costs and hiring skilled para's is exactly what's happening.
    There are certain areas that really need people and lack of experience (with an MSLIS) shouldn't be as big a problem and this is why I mention health informatics. It gives you the "health related" degree required along with the MSLIS to get into med/healthcare librarianship but, also, health informatics can stand on its own so that is an area needing people.
    "Advanced personal knowledge," you can do on your own but if you keep up with the IT skills you learned in your program, what will help in a library science job interview: Public speaking....if you can dazzle them in an interview, you will have a good chance of landing it.
    This type of interview is like a Broadway play, the committee was drafted and most don't want to be there, if you get to the interview stage, that's a big step. I've been in the room after an applicant leaves and, honestly, they're really just wanting someone they feel they can work with everyday and get along with, have the skills required and if you have something "unique" like project management...you're going to be ahead of many others. I'll write you later. Feel free to send me a private message. This is an area that only other MSLIS people will understand fully. Regarding specific degrees, I'll do some research and PM you later.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I think your idea is write: certs in libraries and in academia are either a non factor at worse or a plus in the fact the hiring committee won't have any prior knowledge so I can sell it. Also, you are right about networking. I think that may be part of my problem in two regards: knowing to where to begin and having time (I'm not trying to make excuses but working full time and volunteering every other weekend plus applying for jobs when I get a spare moment does take up a lot of my time). Right now I think I'm going to not take the either or approach I think I will do both. However personal issues are really compelling me to hold off because I'm tired of my current job (I love my boss and the people I work with but the hours and pay suck) along with some other issues are pushing me to apply for better paying gigs in a larger area--where I could see starting IT classes at a community college and working towards the entry level certs. I do want to expand my volunteer experience but the issue with this is that a lot volunteer programs ask for a 6 months stint and I really can't make that promise in good faith right now. This brings me to my final point: putting the horse before the cart. I'm going to sit down this week and make a new resume with some "omissions" with the hope when I apply for other gigs I hopefully be labeled "overqualified." Hopefully it will do the trick.

P.S. one last question: I have been told while my masters degree may or may not be a liability but my bachelors degree is still an asset. Is this still true?
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    A bachelor's degree is an asset. Tough to get a job without at least that nowadays.

Also. . . if you're already employed (IT or not), an AAS is better than nothing. I'm a big fan of stepping stones. One small step leads to. . . a bigger one. . . then a bigger one, etc.

Many folks don't have the discipline/can't find the time or the money to launch right into the quest for a bachelor's. For this, the Big 3 (Excelsior/Charter Oak/Thomas Edison) of credit acceptance colleges are fantastic. You can learn on your own, take CLEP/DSST exams, find transferable courses and boom! Finished associate's. After the associate's, you can either stick it out the rest of the way with those schools for your bachelor's or. . . go to one of the probably nine schools in the US that will give you a free pass for the third year if you transfer in an associate's (e.g. WGU). Voila, three-year bachelor's.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    A bachelor's degree is an asset. Tough to get a job without at least that nowadays.

Also. . . if you're already employed (IT or not), an AAS is better than nothing. I'm a big fan of stepping stones. One small step leads to. . . a bigger one. . . then a bigger one, etc.

Many folks don't have the discipline/can't find the time or the money to launch right into the quest for a bachelor's. For this, the Big 3 (Excelsior/Charter Oak/Thomas Edison) of credit acceptance colleges are fantastic. You can learn on your own, take CLEP/DSST exams, find transferable courses and boom! Finished associate's. After the associate's, you can either stick it out the rest of the way with those schools for your bachelor's or. . . go to one of the probably nine schools in the US that will give you a free pass for the third year if you transfer in an associate's (e.g. WGU). Voila, three-year bachelor's.

Would working as a front line AT&T Customer Care rep who does a lot of end user support such as troubleshooting no service, not being able to send or receive texts or data, or use voicemail (along with educating about how to complete tasks such as setting up a gmail or yahoo account up on a iPhone) count as IT work?
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I think your idea is write: certs in libraries and in academia are either a non factor at worse or a plus in the fact the hiring committee won't have any prior knowledge so I can sell it. Also, you are right about networking. I think that may be part of my problem in two regards: knowing to where to begin and having time (I'm not trying to make excuses but working full time and volunteering every other weekend plus applying for jobs when I get a spare moment does take up a lot of my time). Right now I think I'm going to not take the either or approach I think I will do both. However personal issues are really compelling me to hold off because I'm tired of my current job (I love my boss and the people I work with but the hours and pay suck) along with some other issues are pushing me to apply for better paying gigs in a larger area--where I could see starting IT classes at a community college and working towards the entry level certs. I do want to expand my volunteer experience but the issue with this is that a lot volunteer programs ask for a 6 months stint and I really can't make that promise in good faith right now. This brings me to my final point: putting the horse before the cart. I'm going to sit down this week and make a new resume with some "omissions" with the hope when I apply for other gigs I hopefully be labeled "overqualified." Hopefully it will do the trick.

P.S. one last question: I have been told while my masters degree may or may not be a liability but my bachelors degree is still an asset. Is this still true?

As you probably feel, only one that has completed an MSLIS and truly knows the courses, field, and the what makes this particular MS unique amongst other IT and non-IT Masters degrees can fully understand how any other type of degree will "look" when leveraged against the MSLIS. Your undergad degrees are similar to mine: I have a BA in history and a BA in philosophy (and an MA in both along with the MSLIS and many certifications from CompTIA to Microsoft to Cloud Computing....all certs I earned in the past 5 months and they help me, personally and professionally). Your BA's, like mine, are *not* a liability.
    Whether a particular degree is an asset or not is, like beauty, "in the eye of the beholder." You have a good, really...much needed broad foundation and were good choices for entry into an MSLIS program.
    Once you have an MSLIS, the "Information Science" aspect is what you must highlight and the BA's (since you've said your interested in a job related to or in LIS) will be viewed in a positive manner if you are being interviewed by people in the LIS field or have any idea what it entails. If you stick to library/info science and related fields, you'll not be viewed as "overqualified." This will happen if you go beyond library/info science fields. This is something that seems difficult to overcome but there are many ways to do it and the most important way to get the job YOU want is networking with people in your target field. Really, it's necessary and knowing people will often prove the deciding factor.

From one MSLIS to another, do *not* allow what others' opinions are completely dissuade you from your goal, you will only see later that if you want to be in any library/info related job, another BA, BS, certifications, etc. will not hurt you but only help you, keeping in mind to maintain and expand your IT skills.
    Your best advice will come from others with an MSLIS as we have a common frame of reference to understand what past and future experience will fit best with this degree.
    I cannot say, as I am merely human, that my word is going to be true for everyone. I do know what our MSLIS "means" in the world of graduate degrees and, since you want to remain in a field utilizing this degree (just as MD's "understand" other MD's in a way that non-MD's cannot)...I would not worry about "overqualified" because once you see the power of networking with people in our target field then "overqualified" is not an issue. A surgeon knows surgery. An MSLIS knows another MSLIS to a great extent. I'll private message you.
  • Options
    Would working as a front line AT&T Customer Care rep who does a lot of end user support such as troubleshooting no service, not being able to send or receive texts or data, or use voicemail (along with educating about how to complete tasks such as setting up a gmail or yahoo account up on a iPhone) count as IT work?

IT "work" can be, as we know since you probably had or certainly know of, "knowledge management." Reference desk work in post-MSLIS is considered IT work as you're applying the knowledge base of all those retrieval systems/databases and utilizing it. Again, this is MSLIS related and, since you're interested in remaining in this field, yes...it would count.
    On this, I like President Reagan's maxim of "Trust but verify." To ensure that your past AT&T experience will count as IT work in a job that requires an MSLIS, then I recommend contacting some folks and simply asking. Best way to find out is go straight to the source and ask HR people in your target industry. They usually don't mind to answer such questions.
    An interesting side note: A large academic library near my home has implemented ITIL training for both professional librarians and paraprofessionals. I have the ITIL v3 Foundation certificate. I've noticed it in some ALA-job board ads. Just crossed my mind. I would, if I were pressed for time and/or funding, probably research some useful certifications (i.e. project management...good, really) and you only need a book to study. Community college certificates are inexpensive and several are available that will be a good "add-on" to an MSLIS.
    While you focus on a particular path, I'd recommend picking up one Mike Meyer's A+ and Net+ books to read and decide once you've done more research if you think these certification exams will help YOU. I would.
    Hey, I'm in my 40's and went from history professor (and librarian) and have transitioned successfully, in less than 17 months, to a completely new industry. You can do it. That's not merely a motivational proverb. It's the truth.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have an A.A.S. and the last two jobs hired me because of my experience, not my education.

I also believe going to school gives you a strong foundation, which will help you in your career.

The question is, how much time and money do you have to spend on your education? I personally could not do online classes and didn't want to have to take out a loan to pay for school, so I went to a community college.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    As you probably feel, only one that has completed an MSLIS and truly knows the courses, field, and the what makes this particular MS unique amongst other IT and non-IT Masters degrees can fully understand how any other type of degree will "look" when leveraged against the MSLIS. Your undergad degrees are similar to mine: I have a BA in history and a BA in philosophy (and an MA in both along with the MSLIS and many certifications from CompTIA to Microsoft to Cloud Computing....all certs I earned in the past 5 months and they help me, personally and professionally). Your BA's, like mine, are *not* a liability.
    Whether a particular degree is an asset or not is, like beauty, "in the eye of the beholder." You have a good, really...much needed broad foundation and were good choices for entry into an MSLIS program.
    Once you have an MSLIS, the "Information Science" aspect is what you must highlight and the BA's (since you've said your interested in a job related to or in LIS) will be viewed in a positive manner if you are being interviewed by people in the LIS field or have any idea what it entails. If you stick to library/info science and related fields, you'll not be viewed as "overqualified." This will happen if you go beyond library/info science fields. This is something that seems difficult to overcome but there are many ways to do it and the most important way to get the job YOU want is networking with people in your target field. Really, it's necessary and knowing people will often prove the deciding factor.

From one MSLIS to another, do *not* allow what others' opinions are completely dissuade you from your goal, you will only see later that if you want to be in any library/info related job, another BA, BS, certifications, etc. will not hurt you but only help you, keeping in mind to maintain and expand your IT skills.
    Your best advice will come from others with an MSLIS as we have a common frame of reference to understand what past and future experience will fit best with this degree.
    I cannot say, as I am merely human, that my word is going to be true for everyone. I do know what our MSLIS "means" in the world of graduate degrees and, since you want to remain in a field utilizing this degree (just as MD's "understand" other MD's in a way that non-MD's cannot)...I would not worry about "overqualified" because once you see the power of networking with people in our target field then "overqualified" is not an issue. A surgeon knows surgery. An MSLIS knows another MSLIS to a great extent. I'll private message you.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try to talk to librarians I know. I'm also going to reach out to some of my friends who are working in IT right now and try to get a feel from them as well. I may just omit certain things from resume for a short time; I may not be able to any way because there may be "too many holes" without libraries.

Also, I may looked at Mike Meyers A+ and Network+ study guides which are good. My problem is I have trouble finding to study. Another problem is every-time I get ready to buckle down and focus on that and hold off on applying for librarian jobs for a while, I get a couple of interviews and my hopes up--and then get depressed. It's a vicious cycle.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try to talk to librarians I know. I'm also going to reach out to some of my friends who are working in IT right now and try to get a feel from them as well. I may just omit certain things from resume for a short time; I may not be able to any way because there may be "too many holes" without libraries.

Also, I may looked at Mike Meyers A+ and Network+ study guides which are good. My problem is I have trouble finding to study. Another problem is every-time I get ready to buckle down and focus on that and hold off on applying for librarian jobs for a while, I get a couple of interviews and my hopes up--and then get depressed. It's a vicious cycle.

My private message helped, I hope.