Certs in Email Signature

2»

Comments

• OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Mike7 wrote: »
    Even if you do, you may not want to list them unless you want to drive home a point.

Yeah, I think in effect this is where it is most useful. If you need to reinforce, subtly, that you are actually qualified and do know what you are talking about.
    it's kinda of show-off.

I think it's kind of sad that this is the case. I think it can be useful to know about people, and it isn't boasting as much as stating a fact. But most cultures tend to encourage some level of false humility.
    For emails with customers, listing the appropriate certs gives you some credibility.

Yep, this is where I've used it most. And also where I've appreciated when others have used it. If you are dealing with a customer, partner or external vendor, it can be a great way to short cut the "how much does this person actually know" guesswork that goes on when you are trying to write to the appropriate level or gauge trust or need to invoke some authority or whatever. Inside the office, people tend to have some idea of people's capabilities and position, so might be less relevant.

When I was an MSP, I never put my certs in a signature until we lost a client to another company who was "more qualified" (there were other things going on, naturally, but still) where in fact they weren't. Sometimes humility doesn't pay.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't list any in my signature block, but I'm in a position where I'm largely in charge and don't need/want to be that boss who has to tell you how smart I am. :)

Still, for folks that work for me, I very much encourage they pursue certifications that will help them learn or help them showcase what they've learned. I don't think any cert is too low to include... when my most junior folks earn their A+ it's a proud moment, and I think it's great if they want to include it in their sig. Ditto as they progress. It also sometimes spurs some fun/helpful competition that I think is healthy/useful. All within reason, of course.

All that said, I do sometimes make mention of my certs, especially when I'm encouraging others to earn theirs. I feel it gives me a little credibility when I tell a young tech that earning their A+ or Net+ is absolutely helpful.

Just my 2 cents.
    Joe
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't list any, I don't actually use a sig file at work either though. The employees are maybe 50/50 on signatures in general and the only person who lists any certs is my director who puts his CISSP, I have that, the other ones he has, and a few more, but I just don't see a point in listing them out. I work with a few CCIEs, they don't list theirs either.

I know people have different reasons for doing it, trying to make a point, showing their level of expertise, etc, just not my style. I'm going to assume you know what I'm talking about, if you don't, then ask, but I wouldn't judge someone's level of understand by whatever certs they hold so I don't bother listing my own either.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I see it done both ways, one co-worker has a master degree, CISSP and five GIAC certifications and list none of them on his email signature. Another co-worker has one GIAC certification and proudly lists it on his signature as a link you can click on to see the details.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • 80hr80hr Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Almost Everyone I work with has an MBA,MS,CISSP,PHD ..... nothing special in the work environment.
    Have: CISSP,CASP,MBA,ITILV3F,CSM,CEH

2017- NEED PMP
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nope. My boss had asked me about my online name (PC509) one time as he kept seeing my name pop up in various forums answering questions, etc.. Had a link to my website and all that. He was very impressed with my dedication even after getting the job there. Now, I'm doing a lot more work, but technically have the same title. It's fine, though. Getting a ton of great experience.

I don't put anything in my email sig at work, though. I'm doing the work and people just want things to work, they don't care about my credentials.
  • RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you put all of your certs?
    Most of them, I would put all but my manager get jealous so I don't put the ones that he doesn't know I have... it makes my life easier on day to day
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have many certs, but just list the CISSP and CRISC since they are the higher level ones and are relevant to my line of work
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm proud of the work I put into my certifications and degrees. I have always included my certs in my signature. It has come back to bite me and given me more work however. I have CCNA in my sig and get email requests from networking guys asking me to look over log files o_O
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    80hr wrote: »
    Almost Everyone I work with has an MBA,MS,CISSP,PHD ..... nothing special in the work environment.

Wow! You work at Lawrence Livermore? j/k

That's actually really impressive to me.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • SoftwareGuySoftwareGuy Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ummm... MCSE and MCSD is the highest level of certifications that Microsoft offers... So you guys are saying that wouldn't qualify for an e-mail sig mention when it's the hardest/longest path you can get in Microsoft Certification?
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't have any certs listed in my sig. We were just notified of our new email sig convention and it mentioned certs and where to put them but until others list theirs then I will leave mine out.
  • jcp1856jcp1856 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All I have currently is what's listed here and that won't cut it . MY personal opinion is that you should put only one cert in your sig block and at that it should be your most advanced level one. I see a few CISSP sig blocks bumping around the DoD, which is fine imo. Just don't be that guy who puts sec+ a+ net+ otherwise 'l have to make fun of you
  • coffeeisgoodcoffeeisgood Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i list my certs in my e-mail signature

CISSP, CISA, CISM

CISM - passed test, application in (so it's not on my signature yet)
    These certs are just a part of my work culture.

now when I pass the CEH, will I add that one? nope, was not planning on it
    it will be on my LinkedIn & thats enough for me
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    nope i dont want them in the signature. Sometimes i see "network+" in a signature and i chuckle "what couldn't get a ccna?" and almost now "what couldnt get a ccnp" of course im just humoring it. But honestly, i have them laminated on my desk wall (no joke), but they dont go in the email signature lol
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Ummm... MCSE and MCSD is the highest level of certifications that Microsoft offers

Some of these new MCSE's and MCSD's are a bit of a joke. You can get the MCSE Cloud Platform and Infrastructure by passing 3 exams. If you do the right exams, you will also get an MCSD Azure Solutions Architect (and an MCSA Cloud).
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • CIPHERSTONECIPHERSTONE Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've always felt it to be unnecessary. I don't have anything against someone who does. It's just not my style.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Advanced certs are ok.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used to list them out, but there are too many and I would rather have people guessing lol..
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't put any. If I were to put them, it would be CISSP, F5, and Palo related certs. If I ever do a PHD or DIT, I would probably put that.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Dr. FluxxDr. Fluxx Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Normally I thought it was rather cheesy to do that. Almost like a show off type thing where id roll my eyes.

HOWEVER,

a CCIE, OSCP, OSCE...i get it..because those certs are pretty hard to get and takes a ton of time and investment. Not to mention the failure rate its pretty high.

I totally agree
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    only the advanced/expert certs IMO, and choose only a few
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems