Options

70-461 Tracking Thread

123457»

Comments

• Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Monthly Plurialsight subscriber here and I love it. Such informative videos for SQL and you're not limited to just the exam material. You get others detailing certain sections of it, as well as them being labeled in order of difficulty.

If you don't have it... You're missing out.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Checking back in for a moment. Wow the studying is going SLOW. It's coming along but wow there is a lot of material in the book. I am going through the exam questions usually never missing more than one, not saying much since there are only 3 questions usually per section :) I am thinking in about 2 months I will be ready to book my exam. I just completed the 1st video on Pluralsight. Now I plan on ripping through some of the book and labbing.
  • Options
    Why did they add all this information to the certification like Statistics and Index's? It's weird that MS goes over the top on these certifications. Seriously this is crazy, I am thinking about skipping some of this material and moving onto updates and other element that I do use. I ended up just motoring through the Query Hint and Stats piece and moved into the DDL. This for me is more useful, I like the idea of certifications but if it doesn't add value to my position I have very little interest in learning about it.
  • Options
    Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
    Well, I've been following the thread for a bit. Guess I'll jump in with a question. N2IT, did you go through the T-SQL Fundamentals book and then are going through the 461 training kit? Or did you jump straight to the training kit?

I'm being kinda pushed into learning SQL for my job. And I'm looking at the quickest way to get up to speed with queries. This is totally new territory for me as I'm mostly a network/server/it-flashes-and-beeps-so-its-your-job-to-fix guy. But honestly the more I work with the SQL stuff the more I find it interesting.

Eventually I wouldn't mind taking the cert. but right now I'm just more interested in getting my hands dirty and getting the info. that we need.

I had started going through the SQL in a month of lunches which seemed like a pretty good book. I guess I should just pick a book and get to it..
  • Options
    I hit about 70% of the Fundamentals Book and rolled into Pluralsight on a month membership and the training kit. I'm about ~10 through the training kit and completely done with the 1st video set of 461. I plan on rolling into 461 tonight or tomorrow night.

To be honest the SQL isn't the hard part knowing what you want to do is the hardest or me and the certification doesn't promote much in those regards. I am still probably going to do it for resum e fodder.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Why did they add all this information to the certification like Statistics and Index's? It's weird that MS goes over the top on these certifications. Seriously this is crazy, I am thinking about skipping some of this material and moving onto updates and other element that I do use. I ended up just motoring through the Query Hint and Stats piece and moved into the DDL. This for me is more useful, I like the idea of certifications but if it doesn't add value to my position I have very little interest in learning about it.

DO NOT skip stats and indexes! These are crucial as you get into more complicated queries. I use these skills very frequently to troubleshoot queries. These are pretty easy, if you have specific questions I would be happy to help explain.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    DO NOT skip stats and indexes! These are crucial as you get into more complicated queries. I use these skills very frequently to troubleshoot queries. These are pretty easy, if you have specific questions I would be happy to help explain.
    Nothing really specific, I just don't get that down and dirty with the queries. We are in a small environment and to use those optimization queries are really pointless. I'll go through them eventually but I have to be honest I find that information somewhat interesting but overall rather boring.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't forget there is a PluralSight course on query tuning: SQL Server Performance: Introduction to Query Tuning - Online Training Course for Developers

Kim Trip also just released one on tuning ad hoc queries as well. These might be easier than just reading.
    SQL Server: Optimizing Ad Hoc Statement Performance - Online Training Course for Developers
  • Options
    Honestly I am more interested in the pivot function and items like that. It helps a lot when I build reports for the operational teams.
  • Options
    Carl not skipping decided to force myself to watch the videos again. Fairly basic nothing to complex once you review the material and actually repeat the features several times. Thanks for the follow up.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Glad to hear it.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    MS SQLMS SQL Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys! Just wanted to give a quick update. I just wanted to report that I passed 70-461 today! It feels great, especially considering the fact that I failed twice. For the people who are curious, the materials I used to pass were:

Transcender exams
    CBT Nugget videos
    Microsoft Training kit book.

I decided to pass on taking both the 70-462 and 70-463 in favor of 70-483(Programming in C#). I'll eventually take both the 70-462 and 70-463 after I pass the 70-483. Good luck to everybody!
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats, nicely done.

What materials are you using for 70-483 ?
  • Options
    MS SQLMS SQL Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Zorodzai wrote: »
    Congrats, nicely done.

What materials are you using for 70-483 ?

Thanks.

I'm currently using the following:

Introduction to C# Joes 2 Pros

Programming in C# Jump Start videos in the Microsoft Virtual Academy.

MCSD Certification Toolkit (Exam 70-483): Programming in C#

Pro C# 5.0 and the .NET 4.5 Framework
  • Options
    Back on the 461 train. Anyone want to join? It's been about two years since I took 433 and have had quite a bit more SQL experience since then. Lots of grouping sets, Windowing, aggregates etc. Now I am just filling in the administrative piece and XML. I should have this thing scheduled in a few weeks.
  • Options
    @N2IT - I'm actually thinking of squeezing in the 70-451 before it retires end of July so I get my MCITP DB Developer.....There is quite a bit in common with the 70-461, keep us updated.
  • Options
    Z sounds like a good plan. That would look nice on your resume and help fill in the knowledge gaps. Good luck!
  • Options
    Just re upped my Pluralsight subscription so I'll be hitting the 2nd part of 461 this time. I only got through the 1st part last time.

This should be extremely helpful. I am so close to pulling the trigger on setting this exam up.
  • Options
    Just to keep all posted

Wednesday is my last day at work and I will be focusing hard core on this certification. There will be more activity in this particular thread. I should be scheduling this exam within the next 3 weeks. TOPS.
  • Options
    All the best. Keep us posted.....
  • Options
    Yeah was up for 3 hours tonight building out temp tables and messing around with some scalar functions, stuff I already know but just trying it different ways.

Pretty much working with SQL I already know fairly well, but wanting to fine tune a few things and explore different ways of doing things. Buidling out some case statements with cast and functions. Not the most complicated code but far from beginner.

Something I was trying tonight was writing case when statements in the group by. I do some statistical analysis with variance etc, and instead of building out ABS in the select I started capturing it in the group by. It cleaner way to filter without having to create a seperate column. It lowers the cost of the query as well.
  • Options
    Up again for 3 hours, however tonight I am totally off topic. I am writing batch scripts to automate my SQL backups. I love coding, but I like to do what I want not what the book wants me to do.

Ever run into this? :) It seems once I start to follow the books path I go back downstairs and start watching TV or go outside and smoke a cigar lol