The Next "HOT" Cisco Track?

shirazirshirazir Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Over the last little while, I've been hearing a lot about the Cisco Voice and Cisco Wireless tracks as the most promising in terms of job security, salary, etc. Now that these technologies are no longer bleeding edge, but rather more mainstream, what do you guys see as the next big thing in respect to Cisco certs and careers.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Storage and virtulization are currently hot.

That being said, by the time you catch up to the 'hot' thing it probably won't be hot anymore. Technology moves fast and cutting edge only lasts so long.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • shirazirshirazir Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You're absolutely right, plus sometimes certain technologies are too hot and companies don't really understand the need for them yet.

The IT world is quite funny in that sense.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I was about to say the same thing.Probably by the time you get a cert in that hot thing it will be outdated again icon_lol.gif
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • NetworkDropoutNetworkDropout Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well if you get your Voice Cert, you may as well go and get the CCNA Video as well :)
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Even the hot thing like the Sun gets burned out eventually. We only have 5 billion years left. icon_lol.gif
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Even the hot thing like the Sun gets burned out eventually. We only have 5 billion years left. icon_lol.gif
    My Hydrogen+ certification will be worthless then.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Storage and virtulization are currently hot.

That being said, by the time you catch up to the 'hot' thing it probably won't be hot anymore. Technology moves fast and cutting edge only lasts so long.

There is 'storage virtualization' which is very hot.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I think if you go the data center track and can prove you know what you are doing in a virtual enterprise environment you are pretty valuable currently. Stack on solid route/switch background you will not be going hungry.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The problem is with "hot" tracks is who defines what "hot" is anymore? I have been booked up SOLID on R&S gigs as well as Data Center gigs lately..does that mean R&S is hot? Data center? Likewise, our Voice and Wireless guys are also busy as can be...

I guess what I'm saying is, defining "hot" is pretty much impossible to do, so there's no point chasing it. Do what you do, and do it well, and you will likely always be in demand (assuming you keep up to date with your skills and change as necessary)
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    The problem is with "hot" tracks is who defines what "hot" is anymore? I have been booked up SOLID on R&S gigs as well as Data Center gigs lately..does that mean R&S is hot? Data center? Likewise, our Voice and Wireless guys are also busy as can be...

I guess what I'm saying is, defining "hot" is pretty much impossible to do, so there's no point chasing it. Do what you do, and do it well, and you will likely always be in demand (assuming you keep up to date with your skills and change as necessary)

I agree the all the data guys busy in general. I think what he is asking is what is paying the most right now and I feel like a good network guy who can also do UCS and 1kv crap can cash in big currently, just my humble opinion.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
    Absolutely, but it's hard to say "what pays the most right now" when engineers generally don't fall into one nice category. Even if they do, since all engineers are different, it's tough to compare them. I know a couple of R&S engineers who are making $200k-250/yr- but I wouldn't say R&S is "hot" because of those numbers..those engineers are highly skilled with 20+ years of experience. Likewise, I know voice engineers (voice has been "hot" for a few years) who make $80k/yr (not bad at all..but not $200k).

I guess all I'm saying is it's hard to quantify when a cert is "hot" and then associate accurate salaries without comparing all of the many variables..location, industry (defense positions which require clearances generally pay more than private sector employment), experience (a 1 year CCNP: Voice is different than a 10 year CCNP: Voice), negotiation, employer..etc. Not being argumentative, just pointing out for those who don't realize it that there are many, many factors to that question.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104

I concur, R&S for some odd reason seems to be undervalued by soooooooo many people. A solid R&S engineer is much more valuable IMO than a Voice, Security,Wireless one. R&S is the foundation of it all and for some reason is undervalued by so many

I mean, to each his/her own but R&S is and will always be "hot".
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
    Being good at your job is hot. I think that's the best advice you can give.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin

My Hydrogen+ certification will be worthless then.
    But your Helium+ cert will be in HUGE demand! icon_lol.gif
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod

This +1. Better to be good at what you do and love it than to chase after the latest trend only to find out you have no taste for it or aren't good at it.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□

That is so true! Good post.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271

This is my view.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Better to be good at what you do and love it than to chase after the latest trend only to find out you have no taste for it or aren't good at it.

Or you can make your own trends, like me. At first, people looked at me weird when I racked gear without pants, but now I think it's really catching on.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Picture or it didn't happen, Mrock ;)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Well doing it isn't the problem, it's getting my coworker to take the photo! There's always security cameras..
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    100% have to agree with being good at your job. My personal comment would be, Learn your foundations really well as they never go away. What's "hot" is normally gone in 12-48 months, those who can quickly adapt are those who have a solid foundation of knowledge and you will be able to decide for yourself if something is *worth* your time, This will give you the confidence to tell your boss it's a P.O.S and to not invest.

At the end of the day, I.T. will always be made up of foundational Technology and then all the fluff Managers and Vendors want you to think is the new sexy, worth your money and time.

For example: Mainframe & Thin Clients -> Fat Client's & Client/Server -> Visualization & Thin Client again -> Cloud = Swings and roundabouts especially when organizations don't do things right it ends up costing more and you never see the real benefit.
    Or you can make your own trends, like me. At first, people looked at me weird when I racked gear without pants, but now I think it's really catching on.
    Just read an article in CIO magazine about the benefits of co-ed pantless racking. Could be revolutionary.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Interesting thread! I attend Cisco Webinar on Data Center technologies and they say this is the next "big thing". Where I live, there are too many R&S folks so the market here is saturated and this is why I'm gearing towards this track and the fact that I enjoy virtualization. As Mrock pointed out, there are so many variables to consider and for me, location is key. Consider emerging markets for example, you will be in demand whether you do R&S, Voice, or Security, etc.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pigfarming will be future - you heard it here first ... :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187

lol. That was not the case for Sun Microsystems.
    Non-native English speaker

You can be the best at something but if there is no demand for it you aren't going to get many job opourtunities.

While I agree being good at what you do is very important, you want to align what you do with trends in the industry. I'm not a fan of chasing the next big thing, but if you don't follow the technology you will be left behind.
  • WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    You can be the best at something but if there is no demand for it you aren't going to get many job opourtunities.

While I agree being good at what you do is very important, you want to align what you do with trends in the industry. I'm not a fan of chasing the next big thing, but if you don't follow the technology you will be left behind.

+1. This is why I was promoted 10 months after joining the company and the people who were there for 4-5 years demoted because they didn't move with the technology.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • pertpert Member Posts: 250
    Dont understand all these people saying you should focus on doing what you love. If I only did what I loved I'd be home right now in my boxers eating cereal and playing video games. You don't need to "love" your job. You just need to not actively hate it and be committed to doing it and doing it right.
  • shirazirshirazir Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pert wrote: »
    Dont understand all these people saying you should focus on doing what you love. If I only did what I loved I'd be home right now in my boxers eating cereal and playing video games. You don't need to "love" your job. You just need to not actively hate it and be committed to doing it and doing it right.

+1

I do want to enjoy my job without a doubt, but making sure I don't despise it and that it puts food on the table is paramount.

Everyone has different motivations and as Pert said, ensure you don't hate it and commit yourself to doing it right.
    pert wrote: »

You are kind of taking it to the extreme. Not to speak for everyone else, but I believe everyone is suggesting you do what you enjoy within the field of IT. Most core IT functions like networking and systems aren't going anywhere though you have to stay on top of the emerging trends.