CCNA 5.0 Coming in June!

amcloneamclone Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Working on CCNP Switch.

Comments

• SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Good to see more IPv6 stuff. I'm not sure why they'd include all the other stuff like voice, wireless, dc... I thought that was the point of the specializations. I think they should stick with routing and switching and leave the other stuff to their own exams. I can see how that would make the tests harder though. With the IOS 15.x inclusion I almost feel the CCIE will follow suit here shortly! Must upgrade all my routers then!
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Good to see more IPv6 stuff. I'm not sure why they'd include all the other stuff like voice, wireless, dc... I thought that was the point of the specializations. I think they should stick with routing and switching and leave the other stuff to their own exams. I can see how that would make the tests harder though. With the IOS 15.x inclusion I almost feel the CCIE will follow suit here shortly! Must upgrade all my routers then!

I'm running 15.0(2)SE1 on all my new 2960S gear. It's running well so far

I also think it's insane that they throw so much Wireless, Security, Voice items into the CCNA. lol I mean, why? Leave the CCNA for R&S and keep the specialty items confined to their tracks.

The CCNA today is truly the equivalent of a mid 2000's CCNP, it used to be a "meh" cert as it was the "beginners" certification. I have to admit I have more respect for it now that I ever had knowing all the changes and reqs Cisco has for it now.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    I think it's pretty nuts how much stuff they try to cram into the base CCNA as it is! I'm glad I got mine when I did!

High roller there with the 2900s... my 3825s are running 15. wish i could get a few 2900s but they're all in production.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
    I think it's pretty nuts how much stuff they try to cram into the base CCNA as it is! I'm glad I got mine when I did!

High roller there with the 2900s... my 3825s are running 15. wish i could get a few 2900s but they're all in production.

Oh yeah, loving the stackable gear with 10GB

WS-C2960S-48FPD-L + Etherchannel = No can defend!

• linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    So what does that mean for us studying for CCNA right now? I plan to take the ICND1 in two months and ICND2 3-4months after that, which is after June. What if I already have ICND1 and want to take ICND2 after June?
    linuxlover wrote: »
    So what does that mean for us studying for CCNA right now? I plan to take the ICND1 in two months and ICND2 3-4months after that, which is after June. What if I already have ICND1 and want to take ICND2 after June?

Doesn't mean anything regarding your ICND1 but it certainly affects your attempt for ICND2 which will have this new curriculum by the time you take it unless you sit your ICND1 and pass it and schedule and sit your ICND2 before June.

• JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    I wonder how/if this will effect ICDN2 exams for those who have done ICND1 already?

We'll have to wait for more official info posted on Cisco.com site...
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    I would assume that they won't retire the current test right away, but I don't know how long they would give you to still take the older version. You should have a few months I would hope though.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Going to Juniper hahaha :)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • notheorynotheory Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have scheduled my ICND1 for April, will I still be able to get my CCNA by passing ICND2 any time after June? It gets harder and harder icon_sad.gif
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I knew this was going to happen as soon as I started studying! Wish there were more details about it, because May-June is when I'm planning to take ICND2. If there's going to be some sort of new title or something about the new CCNA that adds more value to having it rather than the current CCNA (since it will be 'more difficult'?), it might be worth taking an extra month or two to get the new one. Meh..icon_rolleyes.gif
  • geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    Generally the old test hang around for awhile. So if you are working on it now or plan to soon don't freak out. I asked Todd on Facebook for a ballpark of when he thought they would retire the current test. He said "end of year" So it is safe to say you probably have 6 months or more to pass the current CCNA..
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Do you guys think they will do this for the CCNP too?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't worry about it until Cisco actually comes out with the announcement (got to love the whole anonymous quote thing). From then they usually give you quiet a grace period to take the old exams you were studying for. Non issue for anyone currently studying IMO.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    Is this only for the CCNA exam...or are they changing the CCNA:S, CCNA:V, etc as well?
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Nytrocide wrote: »
    Is this only for the CCNA exam...or are they changing the CCNA:S, CCNA:V, etc as well?

They changed the CCNA Security exam not a while ago so that is going to stay a couple of years. The old one was 640-553 and the new one is 640-554.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Also waiting to see what's the deal. I was going to do ICND2 next year but may need to expedite it depending on specifics.
    Do you guys think they will do this for the CCNP too?

I'd have to believe they will get to it eventually.

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would assume that they won't retire the current test right away, but I don't know how long they would give you to still take the older version. You should have a few months I would hope though.

That is what I'm hoping as I started studying for my CCNA in January planning to take the ICND1 at the end of April and hopefully ICND2 in late May or June but may have to change plans. I guess we will have to wait and see!! icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    This is just a refresh to the course material, not a new version of the exam.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Yes, you are right about that. Though, whenever they announce a change of curriculum usually means a refresh on the exam as well. When CCNA v4.0 was announced, the exam changed as well. When CCNP curriculum changed to CCNP v6.0 the exam changed as well. But, what do I know. I don't work for Cisco. :)
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Adding IOS 15 will make it alot more expensive as the 1700s ($25) and 2600XMx ($50) will no longer be adequate. Routers that can run IOS 15 are a minimum of $225 and frequently don't come with 12.x installed instead of 15. I plan to finish my CCNA before June anyways and then possibly move on to CCNA: Security and then CCNP.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • getitngogetitngo Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    Adding IOS 15 will make it alot more expensive as the 1700s ($25) and 2600XMx ($50) will no longer be adequate. Routers that can run IOS 15 are a minimum of $225 and frequently don't come with 12.x installed instead of 15. I plan to finish my CCNA before June anyways and then possibly move on to CCNA: Security and then CCNP.

Just started to upgrade my lab by adding some 2800 and 1800 routers. I'm actually aiming to pass the ICND 2 before May...
    In Progress:
    Degree in Engineering
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I've started studying my Cisco stuff again. Hopefully I can get it all done before that expire the tests that revolve around 12.X, since that is what all of my equipment has on it.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is it just me or does the video (what happened to the video BTW...It's not on the link anymore) make it sound like they're going to go to 4 tests (2 for CCENT + 2 more for CCNA) with each test focusing on a specific area: Routing & Switching Essentials, Introduction to Networks, Routing Protocols, Switched Networks, Scaling Networks, WAN Protocols, Connecting Networks, etc...and that passing any 2 tests will get you a CCENT and any 4 a CCNA?
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    Patel128 wrote: »
    I've started studying my Cisco stuff again. Hopefully I can get it all done before that expire the tests that revolve around 12.X, since that is what all of my equipment has on it.

Same here, I am going to schedule for ICND2 this friday to get the ball rolling again.
    theodoxa wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the video (what happened to the video BTW...It's not on the link anymore) make it sound like they're going to go to 4 tests (2 for CCENT + 2 more for CCNA) with each test focusing on a specific area: Routing & Switching Essentials, Introduction to Networks, Routing Protocols, Switched Networks, Scaling Networks, WAN Protocols, Connecting Networks, etc...and that passing any 2 tests will get you a CCENT and any 4 a CCNA?

The CCNA v3.0 curriculum had four modules. First two modules were to prepare students to pass the INTRO exam and the last two modules were for ICND1 exam. Not quite sure if it is the same with v4.0.
    +1. Current cirriculum had four modules as well, but still 1 or 2 tests.
  • hydrogenslushhydrogenslush Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I need to get back on the ball. I'm going to be scheduling my ICND2 mid May. Although, it would be interesting to wait until it gets revised and then study and take the new one. What's everyone's game plan?

Thanks to the OP and everyone else who's contributed to this thread!