Options

question about interviewing

Is it possibile to wear a suit or white collar shirt and tie to an Information Technology interview?

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should wear a suit and tie to an IT interview.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    You should wear a suit and tie to an IT interview.

Unless you have an interview for a company who aren't into suits like Google icon_wink.gif

Good luck on the interview!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    webgeek wrote: »
    Unless you have an interview for a company who aren't into suits like Google icon_wink.gif

That's true :D Seriously though, the only way I would not wear a suit was if they told me not to for the interview.
  • Options
    programmer24programmer24 Banned Posts: 122
    what if I came in with a tie and white iron pressed cotton shirt and iron pressed pants would I still get the job
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    That's true :D Seriously though, the only way I would not wear a suit was if they told me not to for the interview.

Maybe that would be the first test...I would do some research on the company. I've been rejected before for not dressing down when told to early in my career since I thought, they are probably joking, but sure enough everyone, including the CEO, was in shorts and sandals.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    because a lot times I did some research on the company before I go to interviews and I asked recruiter about one company about the dress code and she told I just have to wear button shirt tie and pants and that was for a software developer/data analyst role
  • Options
    because a lot times I did some research on the company before I go to interviews and I asked recruiter about one company about the dress code and she told I just have to wear button shirt tie and pants and that was for a software developer/data analyst role

For any general interview, suit and tie is fine. Good luck!
  • Options
    to me I feel like if you are going for a position it field for a company I feel as you should be presentable by wearing a button up white collar shirt , pants and shoes only time you only need to were a suit if you are going for a position in the accounting, finance field, etc. like I don't see the point of wearing a suit to a it interview. plus when I do go to these it interviews for a software developer role (java) I tried to look professional by wearing pants, button up white shirt and tie or polo shirt and shoes
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    to me I feel like if you are going for a position it field for a company I feel as you should be presentable by wearing a button up white collar shirt , pants and shoes only time you only need to were a suit if you are going for a position in the accounting, finance field, etc. like I don't see the point of wearing a suit to a it interview. plus when I do go to these it interviews for a software developer role (java) I tried to look professional by wearing pants, button up white shirt and tie or polo shirt and shoes

Have fun not getting a job.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options

icon_scratch.gif ok all joking aside...just wear a suit if you want the job
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes wear a suit for sure. I just recently had an interview and wore a suit as well. I do prefer a blue collared shirt over a white though. Also a navy blue suit over a black suit
  • Options
    CorrstaCorrsta Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I always wear a suit for interviews and any follow-ups... But, then again, I like wearing them, so it's not really a chore for me to get all jazzed up.
    webgeek wrote: »
    I've been rejected before for not dressing down when told to...

Were you seriously turned down for a job because you overdressed? That seems a bit... Unprofessional...
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Yep, suit up unless specifically told not to. Err on the side of caution.

Interesting fact: I work for a Google-esque type company. We have two big groups equally represented: sales and devs. Sales tend sto dress more business-like while devs look like they are mowing the lawn. We do flip flops and shorts when the weather is nice. Normal day is jeans, t-shirts int he lines of "I don't always test my code, but when I do, I prefer to do it in production", etc.

I was told the other day that this one guy was not offered a position because he thought he new our culture and came in to the interview wearing a t-shirt and jeans. Someone with veto power did not like that. Takeaway here is that you should not assume anything. If in doubt try to contact them or go with the more professional option.
  • Options
    IT_NerdIT_Nerd Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For what it's worth, I haven't dressed up in a full suit with a tie for any of my interviews. I have not been turned down because of that. That said though, I feel a collar shirt (White or blue) with dress pants, black socks, and dress shoes are necessary. Shirt must be tucked in and not have any wrinkles. Make sure to be well groomed too. Hair should be neatly done, face cleanly shaved and nothing distracting. Take a good look in the mirror before walking out.

*edit*

Granted that was my own personal experience, after doing research it seems most would agree to wear a suit. Better safe than sorry. I will be wearing a suit from now on as well.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The only IT interview I ever wore a tie for was my first out of college, and I'd say that's fairly typical. Experienced folks applying for IT positions tend to know the dress code, and dress-up just a little so they look good but also kinda fit-in. Demonstrating this skill becomes more important if your role involves customer interaction or presentations.

> Were you seriously turned down for a job because you overdressed? That seems a bit... Unprofessional...

I've seen it happen and it seems quite professional to me. First, he did not follow the instructions given for the interview. Second, someone who wears suits and ties may not fit in with the corporate and/or customer culture.
  • Options
    > came in to the interview wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

Yikes! That would be problem for me.

> I feel a collar shirt (White or blue) with dress pants, black socks, and dress shoes are necessary.

I would consider IT Nerd's suggestion--a collar shirt, dress pants, dress socks, and dress shoes--fairly safe where I live. Of course, if you received feedback from your recruiter or interviewer, follow that instead. :)
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I'm going to go against most suggestions here and say if you're most comfortable with a button up shirt and dress pants then go that route. It depends heavily on the position but for a software developer a suit and tie really are overkill. Adding the stress and uncomfortableness of a suit and tie(If you're not used to them), can definitely make you come across as strange and cost you the job.

You want to look and act like you fit into their culture and I really doubt your interviewers wear a suit and tie every day.
  • Options
    ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Definitely suit up.
    Although I'm against it. What's the point of it? We all know they only suit up because they have to. I'd rather see them walking in to the interview in an outfit they actually wear at work.
    Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How about a goatee?
  • Options
    Michael2 wrote: »
    How about a goatee?

I think IT Nerd addressed this already with, "Make sure to be well groomed too. Hair should be neatly done, face cleanly shaved and nothing distracting." This is nothing, per se, wrong with sporting a goatee at an interview.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Couple things:

1. To the goatee. . . you are best off looking clean-shaven. Hair and beard style adventures should be avoided.
    2. To suits: Work environments have changed dramatically over the last five years or so. Some places are actually offended or will worry that you're overkill if you suit up. You'd be surprised how many places you can do OK with just a button-up shirt and tie.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Now this is awkward, with all of the "good luck on getting a job hurr hurr" posts.

I have NEVER worn a suite and tie to any interview. Ever.

Clean cut, well shaved, dark-ultra nice button down shirt with clean pressed dress pants and my nicest leather shoes. Usually showing off my Omega Speed Master, the collar button undone and glaring confidence.

Not one company dinged me for it.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    overdresser.png

underdresser.png

Take it how you will, but I vote for a medium. Button shirt, slacks, tie; all clean and wrinkle free.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Michael2 wrote: »
    How about a goatee?

I sport my beard because you get what you pay for...and I come with a beard. Might as well let them know up front there's a man in their midst icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Corrsta wrote: »
    Were you seriously turned down for a job because you overdressed? That seems a bit... Unprofessional...

Yes, but honestly it was a favor....company went under icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You should pretty much always wear a suit, or something similarly dressy. I've seen guys where vests instead, which was definitely a suitable alternative, no pun intended.

However, do you have to? No, of course not. The reality is that most organizations are going to hire you on other factors, and whether you're in a suit or not will be very minor. There will be exceptions. Some prefer more casual, others prefer dressier.

I was given job offers for 4/5 of the interviews I went on, with the other being for a job for which I was grossly under-qualified. Call that anecdotal, but in my experience most organizations are hiring primarily on perceived merit and secondarily on personality, soft skills, and appearance, and suit vs no suit is a minor detail of appearance, not a major factor. Even organizations more interested in the appearance and soft skills of an individual are probably not going to disqualify someone who is well-dressed, but not wearing a suit.

I would recommend a tie though. Once again, no tie doesn't disqualify you, but I think it hurts your chances.

All that being said, I see no valid reason not to wear a suit and tie unless a recruiter or someone has said that's not the culture or you don't own one. If you own one, just wear it. With very, very few exceptions, it's not going to hurt your chances.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    ptilsen wrote: »
    All that being said, I see no valid reason not to wear a suit and tie unless a recruiter or someone has said that's not the culture or you don't own one. If you own one, just wear it. With very, very few exceptions, it's not going to hurt your chances.

I think this sums it up nicely. Wear the suit if you have one.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I always wear a least a shirt and Tie, things like should you have a beard or be clean shaven.. honestly it does not matter. As long as you look like you take a bit of pride in your appearance We have a gentleman here who has a beard down to his belly, but he keeps it well groomed and if anything it add to his appearance as you can see it is something that he takes time in, and not just he could not be bothered to shave that morning.

I think IT nerd has it when they said "Take a look in the mirror", honestly what ever you are thinking of wearing, step back, think about it from an objective view point. Do I look respectable, do I look professional, do I look like I can be bothered, do i look comfortable?

No one has ever lost a job because they wore a suit, if some one comes in as the most amazing engineer the fact he is wearing a suit when ever one at the company wears jeans n T shirt, he still going to get the Job. On the other hand you may be an amazing engineer, but if you look unwashed and scruffy and its a customer facing role then if the choice is tight and the other guys looks smarted then that may be the deciding factor.

So what ever you chose to wear, just look like you care and show a bit of respect to the people on the other side of the desk.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got to agree with most everyone here. Always err on the side of caution and at least put the tie on. I myself sport the bald head and goatee look and always make sure I am clean shaven.

On a funny note...I work out of my house 99% of the time and have for the past 5 years. Over the past 5 years I have interviewed at least 10 times and only one time was it at the employers office. Every other time has either been a phone interview or a Skype call. I made sure on my first Skype call that I had a tie on during the videoconference. Employer was impressed that I took the time to "Dress-Up" for a video call. Apparently his previous 3 calls had not gone well and even included someone who wore a wifebeater t-shirt and hadn't shaved in about 5 years. I didn't bother telling him that I may have had a shirt and tie on but was sitting in my boxers since he called me early.

Bottom line...Suit may be overkill but definitely bring the tie. Hiring manager may even tell you to take off the tie. I used to do that as a hiring manager. Used to break the tension a little for the interviewee. Always be clean shaven or trimmed (beard, etc..). Bring your OWN pen. Don't forget your resume and have at least 3 questions for the interviewer about the company and the position that don't relate to salary, insurance, benefits, etc... It will really show you did your homework for the interview.

Corey
  • Options
    Guys im talking about going to software developer interview with a shirt tie pants and shoes
This discussion has been closed.