question about interviewing

2»

Comments

• Options
    programmer24programmer24 Banned Posts: 122
    Its like i want to present myself in a honest professional way
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just put your suit on if you have one. What is so difficult about that? Unless you know or highly suspect the culture is anti-suit, put one on. There is nothing special about software developers that makes suits a bad idea. Certain software firms have an anti-suit culture, but unless you happen to be applying for one you should probably wear a suit.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    What if you a fresher from out of college and going to these interviews
  • Options
    Why would that matter? Novice or legend, a suit is ideal under the conditions we have already laid out.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What if you a fresher from out of college and going to these interviews
    Wear something nice and professional and stop worrying. I think we all agreed on a button-up shirt, dress pants, dress shoes, and being well-groomed. All those are safe bets slightly improving your chance of getting hired. We had some minor disagreement on ties, and some major disagreement on suits. Some wear suits unless they're aware it's an anti-suit culture, some don't wear suits unless they're aware it's a pro-suit culture. I'm in the latter category and I have had great success at interviews.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Then wear a suit.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Then wear a suit.

Or don't wear a suit. :D
  • Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think of myself as old since i am only 34 but I have noticed that most new grads don't really seem to care about impressing a new employer by showing up ready. Bottom line, if you really don't want to get the job then by all means, please show up in a ripped jeans and a l33t t-shirt. If you know for a fact that the hiring manager hasn't taken a bath in a month, then your appearance won't matter.

I have been around here long enough to know that everyone is trying to give you honest criticism and support. If you don't want it, just simply press logoff and go to your interview however you feel. Obviously we don't want to change you, but please don't try and change us.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Corey
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    cknapp78 wrote: »
    Bottom line...Suit may be overkill but definitely bring the tie. Hiring manager may even tell you to take off the tie. I used to do that as a hiring manager. Used to break the tension a little for the interviewee.

Agreed. It is a lot easier to make a joke about being overdressed and slip your jacket off than it is to explain why don't seem to care enough about the job to bother to dress to impress. Silly as it may seem, there is a perceived respect issue at play (see the story about the person who dressed in jeans and a t-shirt).

I'm in Tucson, Arizona and we almost never wear suits here. There are a maybe 2 restaurants in town where a jacket is expected and jeans are fine for almost any social occasion; this is a VERY laid-back city (as seems to be the case more and more as you move further west of the Mississippi), but slacks, not dockers; NICE dress shoes, not glorified black tennis shoes; a long sleeve shirt and a tie are still standard for external applicants. Someone wearing a suit might get a second glance, but it will not hurt their chances.

Actually, I take that back, if I were hiring for a Level 1 Help Desk position that was paying $10/hr I might think about it a little more, but then the person's behavior would also come into play and might help explain it.

Always be clean shaven or trimmed (beard, etc..). Bring your OWN pen. Don't forget your resume and have at least 3 questions for the interviewer about the company and the position that don't relate to salary, insurance, benefits, etc... It will really show you did your homework for the interview.

While I agree that clean shaven or trimmed facial hair is best, there are some people who sport the 3-day growth and it looks just fine - but it has to look intentional, not like you didn't feel like shaving.

I like a small leather folder that holds my resumes, a pen or two and has a pad of paper so I can take notes. It looks better than a manila folder, but it isn't as pretentious as briefcase.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    You're not going for a management role. I personally would not wear a suit..one reason being that I don't fit mine anymore *I've gotten smaller, and another reason is that a button up shirt, tie, dress pants and shoes are the norm for lower positions in my area. Would depend on the place of employment as well...a small business I interviewed at the hiring manager was wearing a polo and khaki jeans and commented on my tie like I was over dressed, I still got the job.

At an interview at school district I wore the same stuff, but the 4 people giving the interview were in suits. They offered me the position despite being dressed less than them.

It's up to you though.
  • Options
    I do want to get the job as a software/database developer dress in a business casual sense like i dont want to come to interview thinking that i am hotshot knowing darn well i just graduate from college with a year of exp
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I think the overwhelming theme here is:

1) Dress professionally unless they ask you to dress casually. Never assume

2) Be clean cut and well groomed

Personally, I always wear a suit - the female ballbusting version :) It's a comfort thing for me. I feel more in control of a situation the better dressed and professional I look in business situations but that might just be me
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    So basically to get an it job i got to wear a suit
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Are you even reading the replies? Not a single response has said that to be the case. It's not that cut and dry.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    But lets if someone comes to an interview wearing what i just mention before instead of wearing a suit would that person still get hired

I am reading the responses
  • Options
    If you're reading them, you're either not comprehending them or reforming the question because you don't like the answer. The answer has been beat to death at this point. There's no perfect consensus, but you have some opinions to choose from and some rationale along with most of those opinions.

Other than Dave, all of us have stated or implied that you can definitely get the job without a suit. However, a good portion of us strongly recommend a suit, period. Some don't think it's really necessary most of the time.

It seems you're fishing for the answer of "nah, a suit isn't really necessary for entry-level development positions." Most of us don't agree with that, but some do. It's not clear what more you can get out of this.
  • Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Someone please lock this thread already.

Corey
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Let me present this in a different way.

You NEED to be professional in your interview. If you personally can show this without a suit then go for it, but for a lot of people the suit helps. Either way look professional, act professional, and be professional. If you're unable to show this in an interview then you will leave them wondering whether or not they can count on you in areas of your job that require this level of professionalism.
This discussion has been closed.