Options

How Do You Guy's Study?

PD75PD75 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Do you read books over and over again while taking notes? Do you just lab until you cant lab anymore and not bother with a book? Or do you just watch videos like CBT Nuggets?

The reason I'm asking is because im starting out on the 70-640 (Active Directory) and the MS book is over 900 pages. I would like to learn AD as fast and best i can. I normally read a MS book and take notes then do some labbing but I seem to have less and less time these days to do that.
So basically any pointers would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    PD75 wrote: »
    I would like to learn AD as fast and best i can.

These two usually don't go hand in hand.

I use a mixture of the three you mentioned. Read, videos and lab. Not worth cutting corners just to save some time IMO.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I typically have done labs + reading + practice exams, occasionally with flash cards for trivia memorization. However, as I'm getting more focused on school and less (not at all) on certifications, I'm finding that taking notes is actually a big aid. I silently scoffed at the idea in the past, but I'm finding, inexplicably, the act of re-wording and actually writing content makes me learn and understand it better.

If you really, really want to learn AD specifically, at the very least you should plan to read that book cover to cover. Try notes on harder parts. Lab practical aspects, do practice exams, and consider videos if you learn better that way (I, for one, only get anything out of really great lecturers).

If you mostly just want to get some practicals figured out and pass the test, you should still do most of the above, but focus more on the MS-recommended areas. There's depth in AD way beyond what is covered in exam 640. At the end of the day, I truly believe that no amount of studying, even with extremely high intelligence, is going to match what experience will do for you. For all the studying of AD I've done, actually using it in production has been more valuable.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 on taking notes, using multiple sources, and labs
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I read & take notes, then review my notes. I lab until I'm firm on all concepts & commands. I watch videos when I need a break from studying.

I understand your time dilemna. I have it myself & know how overwhelming it can seem when when you see a book that's 900 pgs. long... but it just has to be done.

There is no way you can learn something well if you speed through it. Consider mentally breaking up the book into 2 or 4 parts instead of looking at it as 1 humongous 900 pg. block of text. This usually helps.
  • Options
    ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I always study the same, for me it's the best way to study:

1. Watch CBT Nuggets vids to get a good overview of what it actually all is about
    1a. Lab to practice what I remember and to keep me motivated
    2. Read the Official exam guide
    2a. Lab, this time more seriously
    3. Read Todd Lammle book. I usually schedule my exams after half way through step 3
    3a. Lab again to ensure I can replicate any topic I've read about
    4. Final exam prep. Study my notes, other sources, dig deeper in to topics I don't quite understand by now
    5. Take practice exams. I use Boson exams. If I hit 85%+ every time, I take the actual exam.

And don't forget to have fun. I love networking, although I'm quite new to networking. But if I can't stand the books and theory anymore, I just lab or play around with Wireshark and such. This keeps me motivated because I remember myself how cool the day will be when I finally can move from the systems team to the networking team.
    Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    official cert guide is great, i'll probably pick one up for the 2nd half of ccna along with chris bryants lecture's for 40 dollars

My goal is to get CCNA by September
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I do most of the things mentioned so far. I have been a speed reader for years so I will blaze through a book without the intent of necessarily understanding it. Then I am a firm believer in lab everything. Then I try to reverse engineer things and place them into three categories WHY; OK (but how come); WTF. At this point the real learning starts.

I then go back to the books or better still specifications or makers websites and flesh out the categories. I take my notes in Excel simply because I have used it before things like OneNote came along. Excel can be used to make great printable, searchable and sortable dictionaries with pictures and diagrams and clickable URL or file links. When 90 percent or better is in the OK category I generally have a very good understanding of a subject.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. Watch CBT/TrainSignal videos
    2. Read official exam book/guide
    3. Watch CBT/TrainSignal videos again
    4. Practice Questions/Lab.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. Some good advice there
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Focusing on my MBA curriculum.
  • Options
    HushLivesHushLives Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would love to learn how to speed read! My ADHD would probably thank me for. When I started studying I had no foundation, so that's what I worked on the hardest. So I read a lot, and I took a lot of notes. The way my mind works is if I can make a connection between a subject, then it helps the information stick more firmly. After I had felt like I had a decent foundation, I moved onto practice tests, where I just took and re-took tests. This helped strengthen my foundation, because I had to understand why the answers were like this, what the other answer choices were and why they were the wrong choice. Even with my basic understanding of what I was studying, I found that I had more working knowledge than most other entry-level employees at my company.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I look at the exam objectives,

Read about the objectives: From books, Online KB articles, other blogs/forums threads
    Watch videos: to reinforce the knowledge
    -Take notes as needed.
    Lab the objectives

Tackle each objective one at a time this way you don't have to worry about being overwhelmed by the sheer amount you need to learn icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Active Directory is a black hole, there's much more to it than meets the eye. You've got to be good at PowerShell too to be considered very good at AD. Other posters have posted some great advice, I'll chime in with my method of preparing for the MS exams.

- Watch the CBT Nugget for the exam. Watch it twice if needed. This gives me a nice overview (more than an overview actually).
    - Read the exam blueprint and read the corresponding topic on TechNet. TechNet it the most comprehensive resource out there for just about any MS exam. I may supplement with the Mastering Windows Server book and the Windows Server Unleashed books as needed. Usually the TechNet topics also help you build a lab. I just go with the flow and modify my lab according to the needs of the exam and the limitations of me home lab.
    - I keep labbing and reading TechNet till the material sticks in the brain. I make notes as I go, I write them down - takes longer but it really drills it in.
    - A week or two out I go through the notes again and lab up my weaker areas.

Like SteveO86 mentioned, take it one topic at a time so you dont get overwhelmed by the volume of the material. You want to be good at Active Directory for the test, but more importantly for your job. No point in having the cert if you cant troubleshoot group policy issues at work, for example.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I read (books and/or Technet) and rely on work experience. I don't lab or use practice exams.
  • Options
    halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    Claymoore wrote: »
    I read (books and/or Technet) and rely on work experience. I don't lab or use practice exams.

Wow! Nice collection of certifications you have sir. How many years of experience do you have?
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    halaakajan wrote: »
    Wow! Nice collection of certifications you have sir. How many years of experience do you have?

Starting with summer jobs in college, 20 years now. I'm not saying that labs aren't necessary for everyone, I have just never relied on them.
  • Options
    CorrstaCorrsta Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I usually go through a video training program like Professor Messer or CBT Nuggets and take notes through the lectures. While I may not go back and study the notes later on, the simple act of putting pen to paper helps to build an understanding. I also read through study guides like Exam Cram and transcribe my handwritten notes to Word in order to create a study guide PDF that I can share with others.

Edit: I've only been preparing for CompTIA certifications... I understand that doing labs is VERY important if you want to pursue certifications through Cisco, EC-Council, etc...
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Read a lot of pdfs, any books available, take bunch of notes, and ask bunch of questions. Can't lab the stuff I'm studying for.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I usually buy the official books and I read a lot of technet for MS tests. I also do a ton of labbing based on the exam blueprint. I am pretty good at memorizing things, so I am able to retain pretty well.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't study I get home from work and play video games and do a bit of bedtime reading :) I need to get the spark back and get motivated I have a huge interest in Linux and stuff but become easily demotivated and distracted.

Someone needs to give me a kick up the **pants** or inspire me to put the controller down haha
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Essendon wrote: »
    - I keep labbing and reading TechNet till the material sticks in the brain. I make notes as I go, I write them down - takes longer but it really drills it in.

I hate to say it, but this has been my biggest help recently. Read (or listen to lectures), write my notes, then review my notes while I type them up. Beyond that, I try to lab as much as possible. It may not be needed for some people because they work with the topic all day as it is. Because I am trying to move into the field I am reviewing, labbing is essential to understand the applications, commands, process, etc.

Above that, I try to know my limit and give myself a little bit of time off. I may stalk YouTube for a bit while waiting for software to install on my VMs or just take a few minutes to read an article so I don't start drooling all over myself while giving the million mile stare.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How you guys take the initial study plunge and get motivated what I mean by this after a day in the office hitting the books is the last thing I want to do when I get home any inspirational tips or methods you use i.e do a hours study then chill as a reward.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    ally_uk wrote: »
    How you guys take the initial study plunge and get motivated what I mean by this after a day in the office hitting the books is the last thing I want to do when I get home any inspirational tips or methods you use i.e do a hours study then chill as a reward.

Better to take an hour break after work before you study. As for motivation, money's a good motivator. Getting a certain cert /= more money, but the knowledge you gain + the cert will help you get there.
  • Options
    ally_uk wrote: »

Look up Eric Thomas on YouTube and get motivated. Especially his video "Eric Thomas- The Truth"
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My typical method is to watch the CBT Nugget on half my laptop screen and have OneNote up on the other. I pause and write down all the white boards and then I fill in the gaps. I watch 2-3 nuggets at a time taking notes. After that I cross reference the sections I have watched with Technet or a book if I bought one.

Since I can't usually get a couple hours of dedicated study time I have VMware Workstation on my work desktop and spin up a couple of VMs in a host only vSwitch to do labbing of the concepts I learned. Host only is important if you're messing with DHCP, etc.

I just bought a Galaxy Note 10 so I am currently planning to change my style to handwriting my notes and then copying them into OneNote. Since it does split screen I can do it on the device itself if I want to.I think hand writing makes it stick more and heaven forbid I use pen and paper!
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know I'm bumping this thread but I'm curious on how many of you guys actually take notes when studying for certs?

Also - does it change depending on difficulty of the cert? Sec+ vs CISSP?
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1. Read Official cert guides (Cisco Press)
    2. CBT Nuggets videos
    3. Youtube (amazing free examples online!)
    4. Labs
    5. Practice questions (End of Ch questions, cisco press provided quiz exam simulations, Boson simulations)
    6. Online Forums (cisco and networking forums)

Usually takes me 3 months per exam when I am dedicated and focused. If i procrastinate and take my time or have distractions it takes me 4-6 months.

No notes as I usually study with PDFs.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    theanimal wrote: »
    I know I'm bumping this thread but I'm curious on how many of you guys actually take notes when studying for certs?

Also - does it change depending on difficulty of the cert? Sec+ vs CISSP?

Taking notes (hand written) is a very important part of studying. The motor skill involved helps you remember.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Agree with dave330i. I hate writing notes, but I will go out and buy a notebook for every certification I start. I will hand write my notes on the first pass through the video/chapter. I will then go through and type what I wrote during my notes review sessions. After that, I will watch the video/read the chapter again and lab it or just watch/read to ensure I didn't miss anything important while I was taking notes.

It is a long and slow process, but I remember a lot that way... he said having just missed the 70-680 yet again.. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Something weird that works for me when I read is to pop on my good headphones and listen to some heavy/progressive music that I normally wouldn't listen to outside of the gym..stuff like BTBAM, Periphery, Animals as Leaders, etc. For some reason - it seems like the louder it is, the more I focus/the more I recall. icon_cheers.gif