Options

Starting the route towards CCENT / CCNA...

riahc3riahc3 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello

I graduated a year ago as a software engineer but really never wanted to do it. Programming generally sucks IMO.

Ive always had a intrest in networking and in the CCENT / CCNA exam but not much of a studier. BUT.......I guess Ill have to gain cash somehow (programmer just doesnt cut it)

So, lets start off: I know labbing is very important which is something I personally love but studing Ive read is important for this too. I dont like reading books at all but Ill give it a shot.

I do want to make something clear: My point of getting the CCENT / CCNA exam is to pass the exam. I have no intrest in knowing the material in and out. Illl problably stop at CCNA without intrest in CCNP.

OK, now that thats done: What material would you recommend? Like I said, I dont like books so I perfer some good videos or manuals....

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    Your approach seems a bit odd to me. You don't like programming and only want this cert for the cert and not the knowledge? To each their own though.

I would not attempt this with videos only, I would recommend reading and understanding the books.

Books -
    Todd Lammle
    Wendell Odom
    Cisco Press ( I liked these the best, but read all three)
    Videos -
    CBT Nuggets
    INE
    TrainSignal
    Labs -
    GNS3
    Cisco Packet Tracer
    Both have many searchable and downloadable labs
    Also, get physical equipment if you can, many examples on the site for equipment to purchase

Good luck to you!

J
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    So you don't want to do networking as a career? The only way to get good at it is to probably understand it, most of us here want jobs as a network engineer
  • Options
    JasonIT wrote: »
    Your approach seems a bit odd to me. You don't like programming and only want this cert for the cert and not the knowledge? To each their own though.
    The cert intrests me in someway but before knowing it, comes the cash.
    JasonIT wrote: »
    I would not attempt this with videos only, I would recommend reading and understanding the books.

Books -
    Todd Lammle
    Wendell Odom
    Cisco Press ( I liked these the best, but read all three)
    Videos -
    CBT Nuggets
    INE
    TrainSignal
    Labs -
    GNS3
    Cisco Packet Tracer
    Both have many searchable and downloadable labs
    Also, get physical equipment if you can, many examples on the site for equipment to purchase

Good luck to you!

J
    Ive seen CBT Nuggets.

Do you recommend I start books then videos or first videos than books (for someone who does not like to read)

gbdavidx wrote: »
    So you don't want to do networking as a career? The only way to get good at it is to probably understand it, most of us here want jobs as a network engineer
    No no, I dont want programming as a career. Big difference between programming and networking. I like network which is why I want my CCENT / CCNA.

Please, lets say on topic on the route of starting CCENT / CCNA :)
  • Options
    dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    I found the CCENT for Dummies book an easy read and have just ordered a hard copy of it from Amazon.
    Watching the Videos alone is a no go as someone else has said.
    Maybe try the Testout lab sim for CCNA. They advertise that as a standalone system for passing.
    Whether it is or not though is another thing entirely
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • Options
    wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not good with books either but I can read e-books... I think its the having my head down part? Yes I'm strange! I bought Lammle's CCNA study guide (kindle), I like having it on the screen in front of me because I can use GNS3 or Packet tracer easier (I have dual monitors).

Honestly, CCNA is pretty hard, knowing the content inside out is pretty important, most of the exam questions will be scenarios so you need to know why things happen etc...

I agree about programming, I am a Web Developer by day and I want to get out of it too!
  • Options
    I agree about programming, I am a Web Developer by day and I want to get out of it too!
    I program and I web develop; Its even worst than being a web developer alone....
  • Options
    Hmm, Im actually thinking now of doing Network+ before.......A lot easier and will give me a good base for Cisco (and if I want to continue onto Cisco)

Is there something even easier than Network+? It says you should have at least 9 months expirence but I dont have any in networking.

Opinions?
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    riahc3 wrote: »
    I do want to make something clear: My point of getting the CCENT / CCNA exam is to pass the exam. I have no intrest in knowing the material in and out. Illl problably stop at CCNA without intrest in CCNP.

Well, then what's the need of going for CCNA? it is a very basic certification which won't come to any use in profession level if you try to use in the way you describe.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    On a second thought, memorize each & everything to pass.
    Hope that works our for you.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    d6bmg wrote: »
    Well, then what's the need of going for CCNA?
    Money :)
  • Options
    dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    Money :)

A lot of people wont like that answer. icon_lol.gif
    Its the same with me. But it comes down to what I can earn money doing that doesnt bore me to tears.
    Thankfully a lot of the Cisco stuff is pretty interesting:)
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    riahc3 wrote:
    Money.:)
    dazl1212 wrote: »
    A lot of people wont like that answer. icon_lol.gif
    Me? I love the answer. It's a key reason people pursue certifications. The thing is, a certification you can't defend is generally worse than no certification at all when it comes to passing interviews, and rarely leads to the more money you desire. Employers looking for a "CCNA" are looking not only for the certification but more importantly for the basic knowledge that comes with it.

The way to obtain a basic CCNA level of knowledge and certification a.s.a.p. is to read one of Lammle or Odom and then gets some hands-on practice with simulated devices (NetSim, Packet Tracer). Optionally, take practice tests to assess your readiness and/or reinforce weak concepts with CBT Nuggets videos. Good luck on your path to networking. :)
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I have to say that in my experience there is much more money in programming than in networking. We are currently consulting with a programmer for some call scripts and paying $195 per hour with him. Full time Java programmers can make $70k a year without breaking a sweat.

That being said, the reason that the CCNA is worth anything at all is because the certification is a way to measure the level of knowledge of the certification holder. Having the CCNA without knowing the material inside and out will only devalue the cetification, IF you can acutally pass the exam without knowing the material inside and out.

I'm in networking because I hate programming. However, If I was only in it for the money, programming is a means to an end.
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We can do this without reading?? Wish someone would have told me that ahead of time. Been reading Odom's book, doing labs that point me to sites to read up on getting a deeper understanding of a topic. Last night I stayed up and read the RIP RFC. Glad I did to so I know the differences between RIP1 and RIP2. I bought a Cisco catalyst switch to mess around with at home and had to read that manual. I wanted to buy a router too and asked around a cisco irc channel. They told me to go read the product guides. The one thing I really learned from all my studying is that people point you to resources so you can read it yourself to get a better understanding. Research (aka reading) is part of the job as a network administrator. I'm taking the CCENT exam soon and from the practice exams I've taken, they seem very indepth. I don't see how anyone could watch some videos and pass the CCNA without hands on experience. Of any exam I've ever studied for, I've by far put the most time into this one.

I like the money motivator! lol I love to network. I have a passion for technology. I actually don't mind going to work and putting in long hours. If a company wants to pay me well for doing something I love to do, then go ahead and pay me! Personally, I'd never get into this field jsut for money. I can work long hours and put in a lot of time outside of work with studying and keeping up to date on things. It is mroe than a 40 hour work week. I wouldn't recommend networking to anyone unless they were passionate about doing it.

For videos, I found a guy on Youtube that runs a channel called danscourses. He has some great vids that are easy to digest. Also, there are alot of CCIEs that run their own channels and go over the concepts needed to pass the exam. They are free, so maybe try those first before buying videos. I have no experience with CBT or trainsignal videos.

Good luck.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Full time Java programmers can make $70k a year without breaking a sweat.
    That's possible in either profession. According to Glassdoor, network engineers average $67k while programmers average $60k. Many of us here (in both fields) make over twice those numbers. Which brings us to the general motto--do what you love, and the money will follow! (Warning: this applies to IT specialties, not philosophy or photography degrees, and doctors trump all.)
  • Options
    SkydivingcowsSkydivingcows Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hmm, Im actually thinking now of doing Network+ before.......A lot easier and will give me a good base for Cisco (and if I want to continue onto Cisco)
    Is there something even easier than Network+? It says you should have at least 9 months expirence but I dont have any in networking.
    Opinions?

Network+ is a good base for starting into CCNA. It's not difficult to pickup. I'd advise watching Professor Messer's video collection to get an idea of it. It's rather entertaining, efficient, and easy to understand. It's also free. I doubt there is anything easier that would qualify as a legitimate cert. Keep in mind the CCNA will change "permanently" after September 30th. So if you plan on taking CCNA and you want to do "the bare minimum;" then you may want to plan on taking it before this date.

If you truly want to pass while learning a small amount to get the CCNA and not cheating, aka wasting time, by doing brain **** (which will make you go icon_redface.gif in an interview) then look into in60days. By the sound of it this might be right up your alley.
    swild wrote: »
    I have to say that in my experience there is much more money in programming than in networking. We are currently consulting with a programmer for some call scripts and paying $195 per hour with him. Full time Java programmers can make $70k a year without breaking a sweat.

Programmers can really call their shots now. I work for a software development company and they are in high demand. Programmers rank as the top 3 most wanted position in the IT field (diff. languages) and #1 on Forbes list for 2013. They have so many fields to jump into that are blooming right now.
  • Options
    Ive been thinking about doing brain ****; Here, once you reach a certain degree of knowledge (such as a cert), a company is obligated to pay you a bare minimum. So even if I do a brain **** and get the cert, and even if I stay at the same company doing the same things, that same company is obligated to give me a substantial raise even if Im in the same job position!

Although not ideal, in my current job, a brain **** might be interesting.

Thank you as always to all of you for your posts.
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    Ive been thinking about doing brain ****; Here, once you reach a certain degree of knowledge (such as a cert), a company is obligated to pay you a bare minimum. So even if I do a brain **** and get the cert, and even if I stay at the same company doing the same things, that same company is obligated to give me a substantial raise even if Im in the same job position!

Although not ideal, in my current job, a brain **** might be interesting.

Thank you as always to all of you for your posts.

We need a facepalm smilie on the board.
  • Options
    We need a facepalm smilie on the board.
    Well, could you please explain me why that is applicable to my post?
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    that same company is obligated to give me a substantial raise

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the HR office when you tell them that.
  • Options
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the HR office when you tell them that.
    Its a legal thing and Ive already told them that.
  • Options
    Well, could you please explain me why that is applicable to my post?

It makes a mockery of the entire certification scheme, and undermines all those who have put genuine hard work and effort, late nights, early mornings, lunch breaks in to legitimately passing the exam and gaining certification, hopefully for the better for them and their careers.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So even if I do a brain **** and get the cert, and even if I stay at the same company doing the same things, that same company is obligated to give me a substantial raise even if Im in the same job position!.
    Wow, thanks for that. I needed a good laugh this morning! I say walk in to your bosses office and demand the pay rise you deserve now! icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    It makes a mockery of the entire certification scheme, and undermines all those who have put genuine hard work and effort, late nights, early mornings, lunch breaks in to legitimately passing the exam and gaining certification, hopefully for the better for them and their careers.
    But you the way you said it; "all those who have put genuine hard work and effort, late nights, early mornings, lunch breaks in to legitimately passing the exam and gaining certification" All of that plus the money you paid on getting your certs, don't you think it you deserve a raise? That's what why legally here a company that employee's a (in this example) CCNA employee must legally give that person a raise depending on their qualification.
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Wow, thanks for that. I needed a good laugh this morning! I say walk in to your bosses office and demand the pay rise you deserve now!
    Um, I didn't demand anything; I told them that I was looking to get certified and pointed out that if I get certified in certain areas, they are legally forced to raise my currently salary. Obviously, by their look they did not like it but they mentioned that once I get it and present it to them, they will raise my salary as required by law.
  • Options
    Glyphic83Glyphic83 Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□

This is might be a good short-term plan to get a quick bump in pay, but it's a terrible long term plan that will eventually backfire. Going through brain **** to memorize material without understanding it might get you through the exam, but it will leave you lost when it comes time to work on a real enterprise network. Your fellow technicians and your management will pick up on this incompetence very quickly, and your career in networking will likely end up being short lived.
  • Options
    But you the way you said it; "all those who have put genuine hard work and effort, late nights, early mornings, lunch breaks in to legitimately passing the exam and gaining certification" All of that plus the money you paid on getting your certs, don't you think it you deserve a raise? That's what why legally here a company that employee's a (in this example) CCNA employee must legally give that person a raise depending on their qualification.

I did, and I moved jobs to get one. And I worked damn hard at achieving it.

Do you think you deserve a raise by cheating to gain an exam? What if you get hired on that basis, and are shown up to be clueless? Do you not think that devalues the exam, in that employer's opinion?
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    If you really want to make a lot of money then you should focus on learning the CCNA material inside and out and by becoming the go-to guy in your department. Even if its company policy to give raises for each cert earned, you will quickly find that the guy next to you that knows his job very well with or without certs will be your boss someday.
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    I did, and I moved jobs to get one. And I worked damn hard at achieving it.

Do you think you deserve a raise by cheating to gain an exam? What if you get hired on that basis, and are shown up to be clueless? Do you not think that devalues the exam, in that employer's opinion?

+1
    With an IT hiring manager worth anything I highly doubt that a paper CCNA will get a job offer touching company equipment
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    I have been working in IT since the late 90's. I learned early on that a piece of paper is worthless VS experience, commitment and discipline. I got my raises over the years by working hard and absorbing real world experience, and then applying that to everything I do today. That is what gets you a raise/promotion. I know this because I am also a hiring manager, and I have interviewed people with certs and I can tell whether you genuinely know the stuff or you "brain dumped it".

Do what you love, and the money will follow.

If you are in IT, just for money, then you will never be happy.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.