Options

Inter VLAN routing

2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
I'm having a problem getting Inter VLAN routing to work for me.

I created two VLANs on my switch. I also configured the 24th port of my switch as the trunk port with 802.1Q encapsulation. I've then tried to configure my router to route between the two VLANs, but my router doesn't give me the encapsulation command neccesary to turn on trunking on the fastethernet port.

As you can see, the only command I get that starts with 'e' from the subinterface f0/0.1 is 'exit' icon_cry.gif :
LAB_T(config)#int f0/0.1
LAB_T(config-subif)#e?
exit

LAB_T(config-subif)#e

I've thought about my IOS not supporting inter-vlan routing, but then I had a hard time figuring out the name of the feature and finding it in the Cisco Feature Navigator.

Any help would be appreciated

2lbs.
Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hate to tell you its your IOS, the option is encapsulation dot1q
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    That is weird. You are using a 26xx router right? I'd actually be suprised if there's a 2600 series router that doesn't support interVLAN routing. What is your IOS version?
  • Options
    Here's some related info about the 2620/2621, but I vaguely remember that you have a 2611, right? That page shows the supported models and IOS version. Assuming you have 12.x, and the IP Plus set, I doubt it's the IOS.

I can't find info about the 2611 and InterVLAN routing at Cisco.com...

<-- :o
  • Options
    I have a 2620XM and the IOS version is 12.2(icon_cool.gifT5.

Yeah, I'm also having trouble finding enough information about inter-vlan routing on the site.

What's the IP Plus? How do I know it's IP Plus or not?

And it's actually wierd because I also tried the same thin on my 2611...it doesn't work. I went to a friends place with a 2611XM...same thing. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    The page I linked to in my previous post should contain everything you would need for that model.
    For a complete list of Cisco 2600/3600/4500/4700 routers that support ISL/802.1Q VLAN trunking and the supported Cisco IOS versions, refer to Table 2 below.

As you can see in that table you need the IP Plus feature set. The Cisco IOS Software Selector shows only 12.2(13)Txx and 12.2(15)Txx as valid IOS version with the IP Plus feature set for the 2620XM. Is the 12.2(icon_cool.gifT5 the IOS version that came with the router?
    How do I know it's IP Plus or not?
    In my case, I have to search at Cisco.com, but if you post the name of the IOS image (i.e. show flash) I think one of the gurus here can determine it by that name.
  • Options
    Yes, the IOS came with the router.

Actually, the commands were pretty straightforward....but they're just not available. icon_lol.gif

This is the sofware image name of the 2620XM:

c2600-i-mz.122-8.T5

and the 2611 is c2600-i-mz.122-5d

However, it doesn't work on both of them.

I guess it's that IP Plus thing...but I'll try and see if I can get any information about whether those two images are IP Plus, or simply IP.

Ever run into this kind of problem? Or put another way, do you (or anybody else, for that matter) have any routers configured for Inter-VLAN routing?

2lbs.
  • Options
    Ever run into this kind of problem? Or put another way, do you (or anybody else, for that matter) have any routers configured for Inter-VLAN routing?
    The only real world experience I have is with cisco devices that didn't even have fast ethernet interfaces (25xx), the rest is from sims. So no I haven't ran into this problem. I discussed (PM) this with Kenny (ten9t6) a long time ago, when I was thinking about a TechLab for the InterVlan routing CCNA exam objective. Who also pointed out how straight-forward the config is. I started on VLAN and Trunking TechNotes for the BCMSN exam a couple of days ago, so I'm interested in (the solution to) your problem. I always assumed every 2600 with a FA interface support trunking. Good to know you need IP Plus.

Here's an overview of the Feature Packs available for the 2600XM series (doesn't include IOS version or file names).
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ok those 2 loads you quoted above are just IP

IP load is c2600-i-mz-...........

IP PLUS c2600-is-mz-........
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    FYI heres a usefull guide to commands

nomally madeup like so

ppppp-ffff-mm-vv

p= descirption so c3620 is for the 3620!

f= features

a=APPN
    a2=ATM
    a3=SNA
    b=Appletalk icon_confused.gif
    c=RAS
    d=Desktop (reduced ip set)
    f=FRAD
    g=ISDN
    g5=Wireless
    k8=IPsec56
    k9=IPdsec3DES
    i=ip
    i3=Reduced IP (no BGP, EGP)
    i5=IP VoFR
    j= Enterprise (lots of extras)
    n=IP+IPX
    o=Firewall
    o3= FW + IDS
    P=PLus
    s=Plus (Nat,IBM,VoIP,VLAN Encap)
    t=Telco
    v=VIP
    x=H.323

the m is the type

z= Zipped
    MZ/X= Mzipped
    W= Static

and V is the version so 12.4(1)

HTH
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    I guess it's that IP Plus thing...but I'll try and see if I can get any information about whether those two images are IP Plus, or simply IP.
    2lbs,

You do not have IP Plus and it's definitely that IP Plus thing. I did a software feature lookup at CCO on both of your IOSs, and they definitely do not support 802.1q encapsulation. The IP Plus version of your IOS does support it, however, you will need 48MB DRAM / 16MB flash for IP Plus 12.2(5)d and 64MB DRAM / 16MB flash for IP Plus 12.2(icon_cool.gifT5.
  • Options
    But how come nobody mentions this stuff anywhere... I mean, Lammle doesn't even give u a hint about the IP Plus feature.

Well I guess that must be the problem, because I can't think of anything else. And since the commands aren't there, that kinda confirms it.

And where am I going to get 48MB DRAM? icon_rolleyes.gif man, I only have 32. Would it be possible to take some DRAM out of the 2500 routers just to test the thing?
  • Options
    I'm trying to download an ip plus image from IOS hunter.

Would I be able to swap some DRAM from the 2500's or are they incompatible? anybody done something like that before?

2lbs.
  • Options
    It is annoying that its not in books, but this inst the sort of stuff you leanr out of books, this is why I say hands on is the best. I get DRAM and Flash off a guy on Ebay,

2600 isnt compatable with 2500, infact hardly any mix 2500 and 3600 are the same, but 2600 and 2600XM are different again.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/32MB-DRAM-MEMORY-CISCO-ROUTER-2600-2611-2612-2613-2620_W0QQitemZ5803110200QQcategoryZ67292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

so its cheap and Ive had no problems with this guy
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    here's a link from the switch point of view

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/50.shtml
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    I don't know what type if switches you're using to configure your VLANs with, but if they are the older 1900 or 2900 series (2924 and below), you may be able to use the ISL encasulation instead of dot1q.
  • Options
    wildfire wrote:
    2600 isnt compatable with 2500, infact hardly any mix 2500 and 3600 are the same, but 2600 and 2600XM are different again.

I pulled a 32 meg piece from my 2611 but after I put it into the 2620XM, I got a DRAM incompatible error. I thought all 2600 series were compatible...? One difference that I did notice was that one of the sticks has SYNC on it and the other has EDO on it. could that be the problem?

I also got this IOS image: c2600-is-mz.122-4.T1

I rolled it in last nigh with only 32 DRAM and I got this funny error that the IOS won't fit into anything less than 48MB DRAM and 48 MB Flash. I guess I could go around the flash part because the file is compressed, right?

2lbs.
  • Options
    but 2600 and 2600XM are different again.

read that bit carefully ;) xm is different anyway I am running

(C2600-IK9O3S-M), Version 12.2(23)

with 16mb flash and 48mb of dram on a 2612 and 2 x wic-1t without any problems

Yes this image is on IOS hunter I checked. and yes it is Mzipped so it will squeeze into a 16mb

so just need to get yourself some more dram and you should be good to go.

If its any concilation I know what frustration your going through I like you learned all these things the hard way, but hey atleast your learing lots of real world stuff a Ciscopress book wont teach you
  • Options
    wildfire wrote:

I pulled a 32 meg piece from my 2611 but after I put it into the 2620XM, I got a DRAM incompatible error. I thought all 2600 series were compatible...? One difference that I did notice was that one of the sticks has SYNC on it and the other has EDO on it. could that be the problem?

I also got this IOS image: c2600-is-mz.122-4.T1

I rolled it in last nigh with only 32 DRAM and I got this funny error that the IOS won't fit into anything less than 48MB DRAM and 48 MB Flash. I guess I could go around the flash part because the file is compressed, right?

2lbs.
    If you're trying to match DRAM from a 2600 series to a 2600XM series, it won't work.

As far as the IOS you downloaded, CCO states that is requires 64MB DRAM and 16MB flash.
  • Options
    As far as the IOS you downloaded, CCO states that is requires 64MB DRAM and 16MB flash.

This is the error message it returns:
     Not enough memory in the system to run this image
     Required pmem/iomem: 41841125/4194304

I don't know what pmem or iomem means, but if that's equivalent to the dram/flash thing, then looks like I need 48 DRAM and the zipped file will save me the flash trouble.

Are you sure about that mem spec, cuz I need to get some ram (not buy, just borrow icon_rolleyes.gif ) and I want to make sure i get the righ quantity.

Thanks
    2lbs.
  • Options
    just to prove to you that it works fine on my 2612 I have pasted the config

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IK9O3S-M), Version 12.2(23), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc
    2)
    Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Wed 28-Jan-04 17:48 by kellmill
    Image text-base: 0x8000808C, data-base: 0x812CE7A4

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

2612 uptime is 2 hours, 30 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c2600.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
    States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
    use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
    third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
    Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
    compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
    agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
    to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.
    A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
    http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
    export@cisco.com.

cisco 2612 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x101) with 45056K/4096K bytes of memory
    Processor board ID JAB033602MP (117993259icon_cool.gif
    M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    1 Token Ring/IEEE 802.5 interface(s)
    2 Serial network interface(s)
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102
  • Options

This is the error message it returns:
     Not enough memory in the system to run this image
     Required pmem/iomem: 41841125/4194304

I don't know what pmem or iomem means, but if that's equivalent to the dram/flash thing, then looks like I need 48 DRAM and the zipped file will save me the flash trouble.

Are you sure about that mem spec, cuz I need to get some ram (not buy, just borrow icon_rolleyes.gif ) and I want to make sure i get the righ quantity.

Thanks
    2lbs.
    "pmem/iomem" means processor memory and I/O memory. I/O memory uses a portion of your DRAM, but the message itself does not refer to the entire amount of DRAM required and not at all to flash memory.

Your best bet is to go with what Cisco CCO states you need for that IOS.

If you don't have the required amount of DRAM, you will get that message and your router will try booting in a continuous loop.

Here's a good link for you to check out:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a0080094ae0.shtml
  • Options
    wildfire wrote:
    2lbs is not using the same IOS you are.
  • Options
    Well I guess it's always good to stay with what Cisco says....but

wildfire: wha IOS are u running with that config?
  • Options
    forbesl wrote:
    wildfire wrote:

...yeah, that's what I'm starting to think. Different images will certainly have different implications.
  • Options
    (C2600-IK9O3S-M), Version 12.2(23), and yes it will do VLAN 802.1Q
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    wildfire wrote:

2lbs.

Cisco routers are basically computers just like any other computer. EDO memory is an unclocked memory circa the 80486 powerpc etc days. Extended Data Out i.e. wait for the data in a time frame and try to catch it.

SYNC is SDRAM and runs off the memory/motherboard clock pulse so that the memory subsystem knows for sure when the data arrives. This was the memory that we called PC66/PC100/PC133 in our normal systems. EDO and SYNC are not compatible in any application of any kind.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    forbesl wrote:
    wildfire wrote:

...yeah, that's what I'm starting to think. Different images will certainly have different implications.
    Wildfire is running c2600-ik9o3s-mz.12.2-23. According to CCO, his IOS requires 48MB DRAM / 16MB Flash. That's why he's not having a problem.

You are trying to use an "T" train IOS (c2600-is-mz.122-4.T1) . Wildfire has a "mainline" train; "T" trains often require more DRAM because they are trains for new features of the "mainline" trains. Mainline trains, such as 12.2, are parents of other trains, such as 12.2T.

Even though he has IPSec 3DES, F/W, and IDS on his IOS, it's not surprising that your IOS would need more DRAM because it is a T train.
  • Options
    aha. so the two IOS's aren't the same.

Now if there are so many IOS 'flavors' for just one 'train', why isn't it possible to find an IOS that consumes less memory and that supports trunking? ...i'm just thinking out loud there, ok, cuz I'm a bit reluctant about purchasing ram just to test trunking ;)

forbsel, u have a CCO account, perhaps u could look at ur lists and help us out here? because --heck-- trunking is a little feature and it requires so much work --trouble.

My switch supports ISL trunking too, would an IOS that supports only ISL trunking be less memory hungry than one that supports 802.1Q?
  • Options
    aha. so the two IOS's aren't the same.

Now if there are so many IOS 'flavors' for just one 'train', why isn't it possible to find an IOS that consumes less memory and that supports trunking? ...i'm just thinking out loud there, ok, cuz I'm a bit reluctant about purchasing ram just to test trunking ;)

forbsel, u have a CCO account, perhaps u could look at ur lists and help us out here? because --heck-- trunking is a little feature and it requires so much work --trouble.

My switch supports ISL trunking too, would an IOS that supports only ISL trunking be less memory hungry than one that supports 802.1Q?

You will still need IP Plus even if you only want ISL trunking.

You're not going to get any IOS (unless you want to go to 12.0 or lower) that supports ISL or 802.1q unless you increase your DRAM to at least 40MB (for some 12.1 IOSs). If you want 12.2 or higher you'll need at least 48MB.
  • Options
    If I do go for lower versions (and actually I've download c2600-is-mz.120-4.T), i'm still getting funny configurations where all my interfaces are dealt with like they don't exist at all.

I've popped that image in a few hours ago and my sh ip int brief returned a blank screen. funny. icon_redface.gif

looks like i'm stuck on this one, eh icon_cry.gif . I'll probably just have to let it slide after all. Like the fox which declared the fruits too sour after not being able to reach them icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

thanks anywayz
    2lbs.