Options

Inter VLAN routing

2»

Comments

• Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    If I do go for lower versions (and actually I've download c2600-is-mz.120-4.T), i'm still getting funny configurations where all my interfaces are dealt with like they don't exist at all.

I've popped that image in a few hours ago and my sh ip int brief returned a blank screen. funny. icon_redface.gif

looks like i'm stuck on this one, eh icon_cry.gif . I'll probably just have to let it slide after all. Like the fox which declared the fruits too sour after not being able to reach them icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

thanks anywayz
    2lbs.
    When you get an IOS, you have to be sure that it not only gives you the features you want, but also supports your hardware configuration (i.e. any ethernet/fast ethernet/serial modules).

PM me a "show version" from your router(s) and I'll try to find an IOS that will suit your needs and DRAM.
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    OK, just for the sake of curiosity, I had this image around: c2600-i-mz.122-5d, and so I loaded it on the router and my sh ip int brief also returned that blank screen:
    Router#sh ip int brief
    Interface              IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

Router#

...geez, that router has a fastethernet port and two serial interfaces?? where'd everything go?

I was made to believe that the 12.0 versions didn't support XM versions or perhaps didn't support fastethernet ports, but that IOS I just loaded was 12.2.

Could this 'invisible interface' thing be caused by some other issues other than the IOS version?

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    forbesl wrote:
    PM me a "show version" from your router(s) and I'll try to find an IOS
    that will suit your needs and DRAM.

ok

i'm popping in the original IOS...so just hang on a sec.

thanks
    2lbs.
  • Options
    Now here's some good news on Inter-VLAN routing.

I finally managed to load an IP-Plus IOS into the router by combining the DRAMs of two 2610s into one machine. Now the 2610s come with 8MB flash only so the 11MB wouldn't fit, so I tftdnlded the IOS directly to the DRAM using the -r option. The total DRAM is 64MB and the IOS is now running on the router and the encapsulation command is finally there icon_lol.gif

Here's the sh ver:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IS-M), Version 12.2(4)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
    Copyright (c) 1986-2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Fri 26-Oct-01 00:05 by ccai
    Image text-base: 0x80008088, data-base: 0x812E7648

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

RouterA uptime is 2 hours, 39 minutes
    System returned to ROM by reload
    Running default software

cisco 2610 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x203) with 61440K/4096K bytes of memory
    Processor board ID JAD05260BZG (219483931icon_cool.gif
    M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    2 Serial network interface(s)
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

...and the encapsulation is available at the subinterface prompt:

RouterA(config)#int e0/0.1
    RouterA(config-subif)#encapsulation ?
    dot1Q IEEE 802.1Q Virtual LAN
    sde IEEE 802.10 Virtual LAN - Secure Data Exchange

Lot's of headache, but at least somethings working now. I'll finish the actual inter-vlan routing test and let you guys know if they are any more skeletons in the closet.

Thanks for the help everybody
    2lbs.