Options

"Do you have any questions?" question

alpha6romeoalpha6romeo Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been seeing a lot of articles saying that you should have questions for the interviewer when they ask if you have any questions for them. My question is, has this happened to anyone here? And if so, do you prepare questions related about the job you are interviewing for or questions about the company?

Comments

• Options
    Valor85Valor85 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is a good question. I thought long and hard about this one before my interviews and came up with several questions beforehand. It's important to know that questions you think of beforehand may be answered during the interview while they are discussing the job with you. I know I prepared several and several were answered as they explained job descriptions, etc.

One good question to ask, especially if you are in an entry-level/intermediate type of role is whether or not you'll eventually get to work on roles outside of the listed job duties. For example if you were applying for an entry-level help desk job, you could ask something like, "Will I eventually get the chance to work on other stuff other than our primary job duties? I know our primary job is to answer the phone and provided tier 1 support to our end users, and that will be my primary concern, but will I eventually get to work on (fill in he blank here: tier 2 support, jr sysadmin tasks, etc). I'm asking this because the opportunity to work on higher level stuff is a great learning opportunity and I hope to gain the knowledge necessary to eventually take on more technical tasks and advance in my It career."

This will show that you have ambition. This works very wlel, especially for entry level jobs. This shows the employer you're serious about your IT career and are looking to learn. Don't be afraid to mention your career end goals. If you eventually want to be a sysadmin, say it! The hiring managers know that the good ones don't want to be there forever! Be sure to highlight that you want to learn and advance, this lets them know you're not just there for the paycheck and will work hard to prove yourself and advance in your career.

In my opinion, this is a great question because it most likely will no be covered in the interview.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I usually ask several questions (adapt to your situation).

1 - How do people normally go to lunch (that is, do they normally stay at desks, or do they normally leave the office -- do they eat together, or do they eat alone-- weird question, but it's something probably unexpected, and that's the reason I ask it.)
    2 - Specific questions about reporting/management structure that weren't obvious from viewing the company site, asking around, or the interview
    3 - Specific questions about the role, based on the type of questions you've been asked during the interview
    4 - When do I start? (I like asking this question. A less aggressive variant is When could I expect to hear from you again?)
    5 - A specifically researched question about a problem the company has that you could possible solve (try to have two or three prepared) ... this way, you position the interview from the standpoint of being an opportunity to sell your wares to them as you have specifically researched how you can address issues for the company.

Above all, whatever you ask, be yourself. For example, my personality tends toward the more direct side, where I don't beat around the bush as much and just tell it like it is. That is, if I feel that something is wrong, with all due respect, I let them know that something is wrong. It's perfectly fine if they don't like your personality and decide to not go with you. This way, you avoided an incompatible situation where you would have been unhappy anyway.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My question is, has this happened to anyone here?
    Of course. At most companies, one or more interviewers will ask this.
    And if so, do you prepare questions related about the job you are interviewing for or questions about the company?
    An interview is a two-way street. They want to know if you're a good fit for their role and team. I want to know if their role and team is a good fit for me! I ask whatever questions I need to to be assured of that. Sometimes that's very many, and other times that's very few. I ask my interview questions whether or not they invite them because they're important.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Always bring a note pad with whatever information you have, a space for notes during the meeting (and names of your interviewers if you don't already have them), and a few pertinent questions. I usually include the address, phone number, written directions and a small map if I haven't been there before.

What should you ask, you ask? Whatever is important to you. I usually ask if the position is new or is a replacement, some infrastructure/ environment questions, the desired schedule for a candiate, any clarifications of job duties that came up during the interview, ect. You will need to decide what is important to you - and write them down before the interview. Equally important is to write down the answers as they are given so you don't forget them.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Always ask some questions if you are asked - make sure to prepare a few beforehand. If you do not ask any questions it is generally perceived that you are not interested in the job.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Even if you already know the answers from what you researched before, ask some questions like:

What is the companys vision for the future? How does it plan to stay competitive in the market?

Are there opportunities to cross train with other departments?

How did the company get its start?

I would avoid asking any questions about benefits/schedule/pay/leave/meals etc until you actually get an offer. Questions like "any chance I can work 9 hour days and take a half day friday?" are turn offs in the initial interview. If that kind of thing is important to you at least wait until you know you are their first pick.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    MiikeB wrote: »
    I would avoid asking any questions about ... leave/meals etc until you actually get an offer. Questions like "any chance I can work 9 hour days and take a half day friday?" are turn offs in the initial interview. If that kind of thing is important to you at least wait until you know you are their first pick.

I differ on this, but only slightly. I wouldn't ask the question above. However, I do ask multiple employees about their schedule--how many days do they go to the office, what hours do they work, and how do they handle meals. By the time they're ready to make you an offer, you may only have access to the manager, who often won't give you the full scoop on this.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I find questions regarding the company tricky as they expect you to have researched the company. So asking specific questions could be a step back . I usually ask

1. What are the expected working hours
    2. Is on-call to be expected
    3. Am I replacing one or is this an additional role (high turnover?).
    4. What progression is possible
    5. Is professional training offered
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I always ask questions. I don't think there is a general pattern to the type of questions because the positions are different but the fact of the matter is that I never miss an opportunity to ask. I must say I have received a positive response every time up until now although I probably do ask a lot of stuff :D What I'd like to point out is that you should think about what you ask not just ask for the sake of asking. I'm saying that because a friend of mine knows it is good to not only be on the receiving end of the questions but throw a few yourself. However, he asks the dumbest things that are certainly not in his favor only because he wants to ask something.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I usually ask questions about their current environment.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I can't suggest specific questions, however I can suggest a specific practice that I employ during an interview that has worked out well. Come up with 5-6 questions ahead of time and write them down. Bring them with you to your interview, if during the course of the interview they are answered, make a show of checking them off your list. That way if you get to the end, they've answered the questions you had, and they ask if you have any questions, you can give a legitimate answer that they've answered all your questions.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I always ask questions in interviews. Learned a long time ago that this is a great way to show interest in the company.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Questions that should be asked but often are not is "Is there a bonus structure, how does it work, manager's discretion, target based etc"

Also, good to ask exactly what a normal days work will look like for the role you are applying for. I know it should be obvious, but I've taken jobs before where the actual role was very different to what had been explained on the advert. Which meant having to go through the whole process of looking for another job.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    Always bring a note pad with whatever information you have, a space for notes during the meeting (and names of your interviewers if you don't already have them), and a few pertinent questions..

writing down names is a big one for me, I'm terrible at remembering them at first

and I always ask questions, I think it's a really make it or break part of the interview. It gives the interviewer a chance to see your personality and how your mind works
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There is one question I always ask. You should always ask, however you feel it should be worded, about the sucess criteria for the role for which you are interviewing... 6 months out and 1 year and beyond. You should legitimately be interested in how to achieve success if you are interested in the position, and they will love that you are interested in being successful. It's kind of an open-ended thing that could also give you a warning flag if they don't know how to answer the question.

You can also ask about the initiatives that are currently important to the company on the whole. You can even ask the interviewer what THEY like and dislike about said company, if you feel that the rapport is there and feel comfortable asking that.

There are certainly things that are not appropriate to ask, but don't be too bashful, especially on the second/third interviews. It is to your benefit to find out as much as you can about the place that you could potentially be spending a majority of your precious time.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    I usually ask if there are any specific projects/initiatives that this position will be working on.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    success criteria for the role for which you are interviewing... 6 months out and 1 year and beyond. You should legitimately be interested in how to achieve success if you are interested in the position . . .

Excellent, excellent advice! I've always asked some variant of this question - and it has almost always provided important insight into the organization.
  • Options
    EasyMac308EasyMac308 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One question that can be good, especially if you're getting some squirrelly vibes from the interviewer, is to ask what happened to the previous occupant of the position (tactfully, of course). Even if they don't tell you anything directly, their body language can tell you quite a bit about what's going on and how people are feeling.
    Currently Reading: A cereal box
    BS:IT student at WGU - 81/120 CU done as of 6/2016
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    There are a lot of great answers here and hopefully I will be coming back to this thread soon as my job search is starting this week. These two are related and obviously need to be tweaked depending on the the situation:

Are there new projects coming up? Will I be part of them?
    Is this more of a maintenance role or will I work on building/initiating new ideas and projects?

One other that just occurred to me, is this position part of a team or will I be going solo? If it's a team, what are the overlaps? Are there 4 of you that all do the same job, or is there specialization within the group?
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    EasyMac308 wrote: »
    One question that can be good, especially if you're getting some squirrelly vibes from the interviewer, is to ask what happened to the previous occupant of the position (tactfully, of course). Even if they don't tell you anything directly, their body language can tell you quite a bit about what's going on and how people are feeling.

This is another good question, and one that I would want to know. I think the way I have asked this in the past has been to inquire if this is a new role/position in the department, and then ask for some historical context if it is not a newly created position.

The thing about the "Do you have any questions for me" question, is there are several non-filler type questions that you SHOULD be asking for your own benefit, outside of the feel-good stuff that we think the interviewer wants to hear. Perhaps a mix of both types of questions is key.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ill ask the interviewer(s) how long they have been at the company? What attracted them to the company? Did they start at their current position and if not how long did it take them to work up to it?
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like Bokeh's questions...I always ask a question or two. It shows you're listening (bonus if you ask about something they talked about earlier in the conversation), and it shows you're interested in learning more about the opportunity/company.
  • Options
    alpha6romeoalpha6romeo Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses guys, got me thinking a lot. For the people who said to take notes during the interview, when do you take out your note pad? Do you take it out nonchalantly, or do you ask if it is ok if you can take notes?
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have a folder that I keep relevant information in, extra resume copy, reference lists, etc. In that folder I have a legal pad, just open the folder once the initial formalities are done and if you hear something relevant, jot it down.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I always ask the interviewer how they got where they are and what their specific role is. (unless its HR)
    People love talking about themselves and they'll usually give you something to work with.
    Like they may bring up the military or a previous employer they had, and you may be able relate to that.
    You can also brown nose easier when they are talking about themselves and not you.

I hardly ask about the job itself.
  • Options
    z3r0coolz3r0cool Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    There is one question I always ask. You should always ask, however you feel it should be worded, about the sucess criteria for the role for which you are interviewing... 6 months out and 1 year and beyond. You should legitimately be interested in how to achieve success if you are interested in the position, and they will love that you are interested in being successful. It's kind of an open-ended thing that could also give you a warning flag if they don't know how to answer the question.

You can also ask about the initiatives that are currently important to the company on the whole. You can even ask the interviewer what THEY like and dislike about said company, if you feel that the rapport is there and feel comfortable asking that.

There are certainly things that are not appropriate to ask, but don't be too bashful, especially on the second/third interviews. It is to your benefit to find out as much as you can about the place that you could potentially be spending a majority of your precious time.

Going for my 2nd interview with the manager today and I want to prepare some variant of this question. I want to make sure my wording doesn't come off as odd or off putting:

"in the short term, what metrics would you use to measure the success of the person awarded the role?"

In other words, how can I exceed expectations?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I always ask about the culture and environment. Anything to slow I want no part of and anything chaotic the same. So I would ask the questions you really want to know and look at their facial expressions to make sure this is a good fit.
  • Options
    z3r0cool wrote: »
    "in the short term, what metrics would you use to measure the success of the person awarded the role?"

As asked, it sounds okay. I would interpret it as an attempt to understand expectations rather than an intent to exceed them. (Which is totally fine, since the start of brown-nosing is where I'd end the Q & A portion of the interview.)

Ask whatever is key in deciding whether you want to work for this employer.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    z3r0cool wrote: »

In other words, how can I exceed expectations?

To me, that's a little formal, but I am a pretty laid back, conversational kind of guy. I'd go with something like, "Are there any formal ways you measure success for this position?"
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    "Are there any formal ways you measure success for this position?"

That does flow better. :)