Options

Do you encrypt your personal data?

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
As I'm migrating my data to a new laptop and taking backup to an external hard drive, I was thinking of encrypting my data in case my laptop (or external hard drive) got stolen.

I don't have any sensitive data, just random ebooks/pdfs (can be found online for free) and some personal photos, that's why I was not very protective of my data in the past.

my questions to you:

1) Do you encrypt your personal data (on your personal laptop/smart phone/backup external hard drive) ?

2) What encryption software do you use?
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only a password folder. I'm not that interesting.

truecrypt
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Though I should, my personal stuff is not encrypted. At work we use Checkpoint's encryption and thus far have been really happy with it. It has the advantage of not using a ton of resources and you can shut down the laptop during the encryption process. You just have to let it hit 1% and then you are good to go. That being said, it only takes about 24 hours to fully encrypt a drive.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    I only encrypt things I need to keep private. I'd rather not encrypt pictures and stuff because the risk of losing access to the data due to to a small drive issue where I could otherwise retrieve it is greater than the risk of the wrong person seeing my schoolwork.
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My laptop is fully encrypted with TrueCrypt.

My desktop, only some folders with sensitive stuff (financial, bank statements, etc).
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I encrypt everything :D Most of the stuff, I don't really need to but I am always paranoid when it comes to privacy and stuff like that. Everything sensitive and totally worthless gets encrypted. As far as software - mostly TrueCrypt.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I don't use encryption software since I have nothing on any of my machines that is sensitive but TrueCrypt with CPU-accelerated encryption (only available on the recent CPUs) would be the way to go. The crappy thing about on-board hardware encryption like what you'd find in the latest SSDs is that it requires specific hardware and software support in the BIOS and you won't find those outside of a few Enterprise-grade products.
  • Options
    hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    I got my password manager and TrueCrypt for all my business records.
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    If you're responsible encrypting only what you need can provide better security because it's encrypted while you're doing other things with the computer. Someone else needs to check their email on your laptop? No problem, your sensitive files are still encrypted. Traveling and need to use the computer? Again no problem, if the computer is lost or stolen while it's asleep your files are still encrypted and secure. With OS encryption any use of the computer decrypts your files.

If you do this you have to be careful to make sure your temporary files are also safe. I installed portable open office in my truecrypt partition to address this issue, and use that to open sensitive files, not a program installed on locally on my machine. I'd guess you could install two OS, one for sensitive material and one for everyday use, but that could be a bigger headace that it's worth.
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I encrypt my personal data in case my laptop or usb drive is lost. I use on my usb drive truecrypt and on my new laptop windows 8 pro bitlocker.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I am similar to most everyone in the thread. I use BitLocker with a USB key on my laptop and for anyone who considers the same; I would suggest creating a recovery agent on a desktop. It has saved my ass twice now. My desktop is not encrypted with the exception of external backups. Anything that could "disappear" will be encrypted, private or not. I see some of you use third party apps, but I don't see the point for my data. Nothing is confidential, so an in-house solution serves as the deterrent I look for.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used to until I realized I don't really have anything important in one spot.
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use an encrypted true crypt partition to hold sensitive stuff like my tax returns. That's about all I put in there though.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been using Cobian which has AES. Works very well and I also program it to automatically run differential backups.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate your input :)

Decision taken: I will use Truecrypt

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Naaa more of a trouble than it's worth. Like tpatt mentioned I don't have much of value except some databases and spreadsheets.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have gone back on forth on this in my head, and ultimately keep coming to the conclusion that it's not worth it. While there's some private data, there's nothing incriminating and passwords and credit cards can be changed. Realistically, if someone steals my laptop they will wipe it and resell it before they'll use any of my data.

If I had something particularly sensitive that someone might target, I'd have TrueCrypt on in a heartbeat. Since I don't, I don't.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    I just finished encrypting my data using TrueCrypt, it's very easy and convenient I like it!

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Naaa more of a trouble than it's worth.

^^ That ... I don't bother. Don't have anything worth protecting really. I once encrypted a whole external hard drive. Something went wrong, don't remember what (forgot password / lost key / got corrupter - don't remember) and got stuck with lost resume / music and whatnot lol ..

So no, nothing worth protecting ..
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I just finished encrypting my data using TrueCrypt, it's very easy and convenient I like it!

It's a good product indeed .. work laptops are encrypted using it.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□

Yeah TrueCrypt is very easy to use. Creating a secure container is just some clicks away. Also if you have a USB drive you can encrypt it with TrueCrypt too.

TryeCrypt has some advanced features such as encrypt and hide a full partition with an OS inside which even could avoid forensic examinations (to some extent).
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    I've read about those features, very interesting. I didn't encrypt a whole partition, I just create a 500GB file called Data and mounted and copied my data there. Next I will buy a new backup USB external hard drive and I will encrypt it :)

• Options
    ok guys quick question:

now to backup my encrypted data, I can just copy the encrypted file that contains all my encrypted to an external hard drive. no need to create an encrypted volume on the external hard drive and copy the data, right?

• Options
    michellepintomichellepinto Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No,why would one want to encrypt their personal data? It's not like there are nuclear launch codes
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ok guys quick question:

now to backup my encrypted data, I can just copy the encrypted file that contains all my encrypted to an external hard drive. no need to create an encrypted volume on the external hard drive and copy the data, right?

Right. All you need is that file, your key file and / or password and you are golden. I used to backupthe encrypted file to dropbox .
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    No,why would one want to encrypt their personal data? It's not like there are nuclear launch codes

Speak for yourself.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Portable truecrypt on a USB stick is good.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    Speak for yourself.

Wait.. are you saying you have nuclear launch codes or are you saying that you disagree with michellepinto's stance on personal data encryption??
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    He definitely has the launch codes.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    I'm a dangerous guy icon_cool.gif

• Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Wait.. are you saying you have nuclear launch codes or are you saying that you disagree with michellepinto's stance on personal data encryption??

I prefer not to answer that.

The first rule of Launch Codes is you don't talk about Launch Codes.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I should encrypt my stuff.... but I don't. icon_sad.gif

I need to organize my stuff before I encrypt it.