My CCNP Route thread

Comments

• blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    I am not enjoying the writing style of Odom which made me feel like maybe some parts of routing didn't hold my interest as much as I thought it did... until I picked up the Route Simplified book the other day and as I'm reading through that, it's really sticking. Plus it seems like that book has a LOT more detail and a lot more practical labs so I'm having more fun with it. I'm trucking through Odom this week because I've already read 16 chapters so I might as well finish the damn book but I can tell already that I am going to get the majority of my information from the FLG and Route Simplified books.

I didn't really like the CCNA Security stuff as well. It seemed a bit lightweight and dull so I'm hoping the CCNP Security books are better. I already purchased the book set and I'll start after TSHOOT. I always saw networking and security as going hand-in-hand so I'm learning both so I have dual disciplines.

If you find his writing style to be obscure, pedantic and dull now, wait until you read his CCIE book.

Honestly, I think reading Routing TCP/IP volume I may be the way to go for CCNP Route.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you find his writing style to be obscure, pedantic and dull now, wait until you read his CCIE book.

Honestly, I think reading Routing TCP/IP volume I may be the way to go for CCNP Route.

Glad it ain't just me. It's a good read, but confusing at times. And it really shouldn't be. But to be fair, that book has a rather big job to do - to cover all topics in one tome? It's a big ask, and in general I think it does that very well, but at times I just want to throw it out a window :)

Be glad once I've got the written done out the way so I can crack open the bigger books. I'm keeping my scope small for the time being to enable quick clearing of the written so I can book my lab attempt (expensive lunch date) asap.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Alright... I set my new goals for the FLG. I'm going to read the FLG for the 2 hours before work I have to study and the hour lunch during the week I take. The Route Simplified guide I will read during the evenings and plan to have it done by the time I'm done with the FLG. The following are my reading goals:
    Chapter 2 - 120 pages (24 pages a day) - Finish by 8/9/13
    Chapter 3 - 125 pages (25 pages a day) - Finish by 8/16/13
    Chapter 4 + 5 - 130 pages combined (26 pages a day) - Finish by 8/23/13
    Chapter 6 - 111 pages (22.2 pages a day) - Finish by 8/30/13
    Chapter 7 - 94 pages (18.8 pages a day) - Finish be 9/6/13
    Chapter 8 - 194 pages (27 pages a day counting weekends) - Finish by 9/15/13

If I keep those goals in mind, I'll have the rest of September and October to lab, watch Trainsignal, and review notes/flashcards. My goal is to take the exam in the last week of October or the first week of November. Then I'll tackle TSHOOT and finish that by the end of the year which would meet my 2013 goals.

You will find yourself getting through pages much faster than that in FLG. FLG has a lot more diagrams than OCG and breaks up the reading a lot better. On top of that much easier to follow. You can seriously finish a chapter in 2 days. I just read through 10 pages in 25 mins, granted it was a bit heavier 10 pages of diagrams but the norm isn't much of a reach from that. You will love FLG compared to OCG. Wish I would have made this decision sooner.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Here are my notes for the OCG guide. Not the best notes I've done because I was rather bored with the material but it's 91 pages so it's pretty easy to review:
    https://app.box.com/s/zdcip0up7qcv0macbgy5

I'll add my Route Simplified and FLG as I finish the books in the upcoming month

Thanks for the notes. Jump in on the pop questions threads, I see a few stickies coming.
  • BigD5XBigD5X Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Iris, for give me for not understanding, why did you turn down the job at Cisco ? I thought that would be the awesome place to work for.
    I say that because I'm trying to get in at Cisco in North Carolina. And in addition to that, I'm not working right now.
  • blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Glad it ain't just me. It's a good read, but confusing at times. And it really shouldn't be. But to be fair, that book has a rather big job to do - to cover all topics in one tome? It's a big ask, and in general I think it does that very well, but at times I just want to throw it out a window :)

Be glad once I've got the written done out the way so I can crack open the bigger books. I'm keeping my scope small for the time being to enable quick clearing of the written so I can book my lab attempt (expensive lunch date) asap.

That is because he uses CCIE concepts and terminologies that weren't introduced at the CCNA level, making his efforts pompously a display of intellectual auto-eroticism.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'm sure Cisco is an awesome place to work for but I didn't go for them because:
    1) I wasn't ready to move up to Northern California yet. My spouse and I plan on doing that in 2015
    2) I still have plenty to learn at my current employer
    3) I want to have a couple CCNP's and a few more years experience under my belt before I work for them so I have the best leverage for the best pay
    4) Optionally, I think I might try to work at a VAR before jumping into Cisco so I get my hands into a ton of things and feel like I'm much more seasoned

The job was offered to me because I met someone at Defcon 2 years ago who's been pushing me to work for Cisco since he's a senior there and he submitted my resume without telling me. It was nice of him but I wasn't ready for that jump in my career yet
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    I guess I should update this thread. I'm halfway through Chapter 2 (Around page 100) and I'm enjoying CCNP Route Simplified. If I had to choose between two books, I'd pick Route Simplified for format and ease to read but FLG is still a great book. A previous poster mentioned that reading it is easy and you tackle pages really quickly. I would agree.
    I have two more tasks to finish of my last MSISA for the semester so as soon as I'm done with those, I'll have the rest of August to really dedicate myself to CCNP. I also picked up CCDP ARCH Simplified because I received a free Amazon giftcard so I'll probably tackle that test right after TSHOOT since it looks like an easier test.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Glad to hear it is going good! I think you and I will be battling to see who finishing the book first!
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    You'll probably finish before me, Daniel. I'm juggling my Masters classes and planning a wedding so my time is not as free as I would like it to be. I pretty much made this thread to stick to my guns and get through this exam but I don't probably finish the book until mid-September or be ready for the test before November.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    You'll probably finish before me, Daniel. I'm juggling my Masters classes and planning a wedding so my time is not as free as I would like it to be. I pretty much made this thread to stick to my guns and get through this exam but I don't probably finish the book until mid-September or be ready for the test before November.

I know the feeling of losing the spare time. I just now recently was able to refocus a lot of my study efforts.
    CCNP Route update: I'm almost finished with Chapter 2 of FLG. I should finish it tomorrow and then embark on Chapter 3 before the end of the week so I'm definitely ahead of my schedule on that book. I'm trying to get through the Route Simplified book at home and that's going as well.

Since design and architecture is interesting to me, I've also decided to do the CCDA and CCDP after I'm done with the CCNP. I bought the CCDA Simplified and CCDP Simplified books to help me out and since it would only be two light tests, why not? The only complaint I've heard about the tests is that the material is dry in the CCDA but gets much better in the CCDP ARCH material. Both books seem pretty light and easy to read so I'm willing to give it a shot and my boss is willing to pay for my certifications so I might as well. I think I'll knock both those tests out early next year before moving onto the CCNP:Security (My big cert goal of next year)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Also, I bought this book at Defcon: Amazon.com: The TCP/IP Guide: A Comprehensive, Illustrated Internet Protocols Reference (9781593270476): Charles M. Kozierok: Books

I'm not sure if it'll help build me up for the CCIE or not or just help refresh CCNP knowledge when I'm done but it has high reviews on Amazon and seems like a great resource. Next year, I'll be done with my MS degree so while I'm going the CCNP:Security route, I'll probably be reading through Network Warrior (again), TCP/IP Vol I & II, and reading through this TCP/IP guide
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    CCNP Route update: I'm almost finished with Chapter 2 of FLG. I should finish it tomorrow and then embark on Chapter 3 before the end of the week so I'm definitely ahead of my schedule on that book. I'm trying to get through the Route Simplified book at home and that's going as well.

Since design and architecture is interesting to me, I've also decided to do the CCDA and CCDP after I'm done with the CCNP. I bought the CCDA Simplified and CCDP Simplified books to help me out and since it would only be two light tests, why not? The only complaint I've heard about the tests is that the material is dry in the CCDA but gets much better in the CCDP ARCH material. Both books seem pretty light and easy to read so I'm willing to give it a shot and my boss is willing to pay for my certifications so I might as well. I think I'll knock both those tests out early next year before moving onto the CCNP:Security (My big cert goal of next year)

Good luck, I'm doing something similar with CCNP/CCDP. Trying to decide of I am going to knock out CCDA after SWITCH before going into ROUTE or just wait until after CCNP to start the design track.

When I have CCNP/CCNP Voice/CCDP/ITILv3 Foundations on my resume I'm done with certs until it's time to renew. I'm going to focus on a Business Management degree with Finance concentration if I do anything outside of work after this 2-3 year run of doing Cisco exams one after another.
    Also, I bought this book at Defcon: Amazon.com: The TCP/IP Guide: A Comprehensive, Illustrated Internet Protocols Reference (9781593270476): Charles M. Kozierok: Books

I'm not sure if it'll help build me up for the CCIE or not or just help refresh CCNP knowledge when I'm done but it has high reviews on Amazon and seems like a great resource. Next year, I'll be done with my MS degree so while I'm going the CCNP:Security route, I'll probably be reading through Network Warrior (again), TCP/IP Vol I & II, and reading through this TCP/IP guide

Great! You are making great progress! I myself just finished ch.4 in FLG and am beginning ch.5. I actually thought about going after CCDA as well after NP. I have a buddy in the NOC with me that has suggested the same. I've always been interested in design and wanted to always get into an implementation engineer position in the future.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□

It's also available online as-- Welcome to The TCP/IP Guide!

It's a well-written and handy guide. I've turned to it very occasionally to refresh my knowledge of standard protocols, especially when the scope lies slightly outside the domain of my routing/switching library. I recall particularly enjoying their section on RARP/BOOTP/DHCP, because they described the historical progression and the packet formats.

Vastly more readable than an RFC when you have a choice between sources. :)

Glad your studying is progressing well. You totally have this!
    Finished Chapter 2 of FLG. Onward to OSPF (again!)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Making progress into OSPF. 50 pages into Chapter 3 of the FLG and working on CCNP Route Simplified OSPF Chapter from home. I am actually enjoying the Route Simplified book more but both the FLG and Simplified series are EXCELLENT and easily explain enough to get through Route. I am thoroughly enjoying this a lot more than the craptastic OCG that I struggled through for the last month and a half
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Iris, would you recommend using the FLG and Simplified and not using the OCG ?

I'm currently looking into gathering material, hope to start studying for CCNP in September. Don't want to wait till last minute.
    Yeah, I definitely would say to skip the OCG. I loved Odom's CCNA/CCENT guides but I didn't like OCG for Route at ALL. Very dry and missing TONS of information
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Yeah, I definitely would say to skip the OCG. I loved Odom's CCNA/CCENT guides but I didn't like OCG for Route at ALL. Very dry and missing TONS of information

I agree as well. I did half the OCG and picked up the FLG (just finished EIGRP on-to next section). <-- Wish I read faster

Anywho, the FLG is soooooooooo much better to me at least. Because when they explain things like what happens when a route goes down and how it prevents loops and shows step by step with pictures and routing tables my brain soaked it up easily.

Made MPLS summarized easily also.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanx for the tips Iris and Kohr-ah :)
    Continuing on with my thread that seems to never end....

Chapter 3 (OSPF) of the FLG was completed this week - 120 pages or so. Also completed Chapter 3 (OSPF as well) of Route Simplified after work this week - about 180 pages. Feeling pretty strong about OSPF and EIGRP now.

I'm going to be spending most of this weekend finishing up my last class of the semester for my MSISA but after that's done, I'll be spending all next week tackling Chapter 4 (Manipulating Routing Updates) and Chapter 5 (Implementing Path Control) of the FLG and Chapter 4 (IGP Route Filtering and Route Redistribution) of Route Simplified. These were subjects that I was rougher with when I was going through the OCG but so far, these two books have been WORLDS better so I have faith that it'll go better through these two books.

I can't wait til I'm completely done with the MSISA (one more class next semester and a capstone + oral defense). Studying for certifications on TOP of school and a more-than-fulltime job takes a lot of discipline... and a little bit of insanity
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I can't wait til I'm completely done with the MSISA (one more class next semester and a capstone + oral defense). Studying for certifications on TOP of school and a more-than-fulltime job takes a lot of discipline... and a little bit of insanity

After completing the MSISA, I was able to finish the rest of the CCNP within two months. School work does take a lot of time. You're going to have a lot more free time in your schedule when you complete!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    Good to see you study efforts are streaming along well as usual. You are moving into my least favorite topics. I'd suggest pairing up a bit of labbing as you do read through Redistribution / Path Manipulation topics. There is a lot of new stuff in this as I'm sure you know already having read the OCG book. I am finally becoming more excited myself with these topics as I further understand them.
    Finished Chapter 4 yesterday. Will finish Chapter 5 by tomorrow. Finished all my homework for this semester of my MSISA so I don't need to do anymore classwork until Sept 1th. Going to start hitting the Route Simplified guide harder since I'm a little behind on that book compared to the FLG. Moving along. :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    I admire that you can read three books for one exam. Do you supplement with videos at all?

I always read only one book and pick the best one by reading opinions here and on Amazon. I retain information better from videos and labs than I do from just reading.
    I probably shouldn't have bothered with the OCG. I'm reading the FLG and Simplified books because I felt the OCG was just so weak.

I usually supplement videos and my notes when I get to the labbing portion of my studies. I'm a little different. I read EVERYTHING, take tons of notes, and then lab after with the notes and videos
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Finished off Chapter 5 this morning. Instead of reading further into FLG today, I'm going to focus the rest of the week and weekend on getting further in Route Simplified since I'm a little behind in that book due to working late every night this week.

Overall... PROGRESS! I feel like I'm really getting along and cementing this material. I'm also having to deal with PBR, GRE tunnels, and fun stuff like that at work this week so I'm reading the material and then as soon as I put down the book, I'm doing it. It's fun when life works out like that!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Iristheangel so do you recommend not touching OCG at all? I'm starting and liking FLG more but wondering if I should supplement that with OCG once I'm finished.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore