Options

MCITP: Enterprise Admin title no longer retires July 31, moved to January 31, 2014

Microsoft has moved the retirement dates for at least MCITP: Enterprise Admin title from July 31, 2013 to January 31, 2014. Figured I'd give a heads up to the community about this, since some of us (namely me!) have had no life the last 2 months trying to get them done before July 31 cut off.

I have tried to get comment from MS about when they changed this and why, but haven't been able to.

See this for reference:

Windows Server Certification | Microsoft Learning

Edit: MCITP: Server Admin still retires July 31, 2013. However, the new title MCSA: Server Admin stays.

Comments

• Options
    kingrobkingrob Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This really cheeses me off!! I was rushing my MCITP certification & it costed me a ton of money.
  • Options
    InsspbInsspb Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you, thank you, thank you ;) I broke my head trying to do this cert before expiration.
    Got passed 70-640 only on jun 25, got passed 70-642 on jun 26. Rushing to do 70-643+70-680 next week. Almost no sleep at all :)
    And here is so good news. thank you. I am going to sleep now :)))))))))
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    I got confirmation from MS today stating that the cert has been moved to January, 2014. Of course, the rep I spoke with was probably just an Indian who read scripts, but I saved a transcript of the conversation just in case.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Trying to pick my jaw up off the ground right now.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just passed 70-648 today, good to know I don't have to cram and rush through them like crazy now!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Scorch1Scorch1 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Unbelievable! I was just about to schedule my exam this morning, but was going to wait until tonight so I could use my voucher (it's at home). They also extended MCITP Database administrator until January 2014. Well one of the tests has an expiration date and the other doesn't. I still may take this test by the end of the month, but it's to know that I don't have to. Thanks OP!
  • Options
    Scorch1 wrote: »
    Unbelievable! I was just about to schedule my exam this morning, but was going to wait until tonight so I could use my voucher (it's at home). They also extended MCITP Database administrator until January 2014. Well one of the tests has an expiration date and the other doesn't. I still may take this test by the end of the month, but it's to know that I don't have to. Thanks OP!

Ha, I take my exam on Friday. Lucky you! These case studies look like a pain in the arse!
  • Options
    HauntHaunt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you guys think it's possible to study for and pass the 4 MCITP: EA exams in 5 months time? I'm a WGU student and found out recently that MS extended the expiration dates so for my second term that starts in September, I'm shooting for taking and passing the 4 exams before they expire at the end of January.

I'm not currently working so I'm able to dedicate 100% of my time to studying for these exams. Do you guys think 5 months is still not enough time to prepare? Am I pushing my luck with trying to get all those exams done in 5 months time? I have experience with Windows domain environments so the material won't be new to me which should help I think.

What do you guys think?
  • Options
    CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Only you can really answer that question. Personally, I'd burn out. If you do go for it, best of luck.

That being said, there was a guy on here who claimed to have taken all three SA exams in one day and passed.
  • Options
    Haunt wrote: »
    Do you guys think it's possible to study for and pass the 4 MCITP: EA exams in 5 months time? I'm a WGU student and found out recently that MS extended the expiration dates so for my second term that starts in September, I'm shooting for taking and passing the 4 exams before they expire at the end of January.

I'm not currently working so I'm able to dedicate 100% of my time to studying for these exams. Do you guys think 5 months is still not enough time to prepare? Am I pushing my luck with trying to get all those exams done in 5 months time? I have experience with Windows domain environments so the material won't be new to me which should help I think.

What do you guys think?

I studied and passed 4 exams in 3 months studying only 4 to 6 hours a day (every day) so it is very doable. My scores averaged to the high 800s. If you studied 8 to 12 hours per day you could theoretically take an exam once a week. I know a guy who did this but he had 5 years of windows admin experience with 2003 and 2008.

Can you study 8 to 12 hours a day? Do you LIKE Microsoft products? If not then no possible way. I for example, could of never done a CCNP in 3 months time... too boring and mind crushing (to me).
  • Options
    HauntHaunt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I studied and passed 4 exams in 3 months studying only 4 to 6 hours a day (every day) so it is very doable. My scores averaged to the high 800s. If you studied 8 to 12 hours per day you could theoretically take an exam once a week. I know a guy who did this but he had 5 years of windows admin experience with 2003 and 2008.

Can you study 8 to 12 hours a day? Do you LIKE Microsoft products? If not then no possible way. I for example, could of never done a CCNP in 3 months time... too boring and mind crushing (to me).
    I think I can dedicate 4-6 hours a day like you. I think 8-12 hours a day would be too much for me, plus I'm not looking to rush and complete the exams in 1-2 weeks. I want a steady pace where I can really absorb and learn the material because I actually am interested in Microsoft products and really want to learn this stuff and earn the certification.

What were the 4 exams you said you passed in 3 months? I see your certs under your name but not sure which ones you're talking about. Do you guys think there's a possibility that Microsoft will extend the expiration date again once it starts getting closer to January 31, 2014? It says on the MS website that most MCITP certifications expire on July 31, 2014 so I'm hopeful that they'll extend the date again due to the cert still being relevant and desired.
  • Options
    Haunt wrote: »
    I think I can dedicate 4-6 hours a day like you. I think 8-12 hours a day would be too much for me, plus I'm not looking to rush and complete the exams in 1-2 weeks. I want a steady pace where I can really absorb and learn the material because I actually am interested in Microsoft products and really want to learn this stuff and earn the certification.

What were the 4 exams you said you passed in 3 months? I see your certs under your name but not sure which ones you're talking about. Do you guys think there's a possibility that Microsoft will extend the expiration date again once it starts getting closer to January 31, 2014? It says on the MS website that most MCITP certifications expire on July 31, 2014 so I'm hopeful that they'll extend the date again due to the cert still being relevant and desired.

All the MCITP: Enterprise Admin exams except 83-640 which I took several years ago.

70-642 end of may, 70-647 mid july. About 3 months start to finish for 4 exams.
  • Options
    roseebroseeb Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    no life indeed. Thanks!
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I wonder if Microsoft extended it because there was a influx in person going for the certification? - Microsoft realized people dislike 2013 like the plague and wanted to milk 2008 for all it's worth.....

that's just my theory, but most people in IT can contest, teaching a user-base how to use a Windows Operating system without a start bar (that users have used for 20+ years) and a graphically different OS in every manner possible is a freaking nightmare! - I feel Microsoft is finally admitting it and extended this certificate for this reason alone...

I heard a survey on Tom's Hardware that people are still insisting on Server 2008 R2 over 2013, sales of 2013 are the wost of any NOS in history....

food for thought people....
  • Options
    Given that there is no such operating system as Windows 2013, I would say it's safe to assume its sales are the worst of any OS in history.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Given that there is no such operating system as Windows 2013, I would say it's safe to assume its sales are the worst of any OS in history.

I dunno, it probably will outpace ME.
  • Options
    Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's a little depressing that they extended the MCITP:EA until January of next year. I was going to upgrade my MCSE 2003 by taking the 70-649 and instead opted for the 70-648 because I thought they were retiring the MCITP:EA as of July 31st. I passed the 70-648 last weekend. Is it still possible to get the MCITP:EA? And if so, what path do I need to take? Or should I just get the MCSA for 2008 by taking the 70-646 and not worry about it?
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
  • Options
    You just need to take 70-643 and 70-647. If you think you can knock both out in five months, I say go for it.

The 649 essentially includes 643 as a third set of questions, and in fact you were probably better off taking it separately anyway.
  • Options
    So, in order to get both EA and SA for MCITP, I would need to take 643, 646, and 647?

• Options
    That's correct, but there is absolutely no logic in getting 646 and the SA. It is essentially meaningless next to the EA, and both yield the MCSA 2008 title in addition to their MCITP titles. I would just take 643 and 647.
  • Options
    The reason I was thinking about just going for the SA is because the MCSA 2008 title is just that (Solutions Associate) not Expert. How are people able to distinguish the EA and SA after they retire in January?

• Options
    The SA in MCITP:SA stands for Server Administrator. The SA in MCSA stands for Solutions Associate. The EA title comes with MCSA, so you still get that title.

The MCITP title is the only way to distinguish SA from EA. EA doesn't grant any additional titles other than EA itself. In fairness, you could simply take 646 and be done with the 2008 track. If MCSE Server Infrastructure is your goal, you will get there faster by doing this. The reason to go for EA would be to leverage and demonstrate higher skill in the 2008 R2 components. If you haven't actually looked at the 647 or 643 material yet, you may well be better of just completing 646 to get MCITP:SA and MCSA 2008.
  • Options
    Okay, thanks for clarifying things! :)

• Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    The SA in MCITP:SA stands for Server Administrator. The SA in MCSA stands for Solutions Associate. The EA title comes with MCSA, so you still get that title.

The MCITP title is the only way to distinguish SA from EA. EA doesn't grant any additional titles other than EA itself. In fairness, you could simply take 646 and be done with the 2008 track. If MCSE Server Infrastructure is your goal, you will get there faster by doing this. The reason to go for EA would be to leverage and demonstrate higher skill in the 2008 R2 components. If you haven't actually looked at the 647 or 643 material yet, you may well be better of just completing 646 to get MCITP:SA and MCSA 2008.

That is probably the best clarification I've heard to date!
  • Options
    Completely incorrect

Achieving MCITP: EA grants MCSA: SA as well.

MCITP: EA is a vastly superior title as it focuses on design and "consulting" in the 647 and the 643 is a very difficult exam. 5 exams versus 3 (if not upgrading) is going to set you apart in interviews.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    thank you for posting this!
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I'm still on the fence about this.

The extension is nice...I am 2 exams away from the EA, one from SA...both give you 2008 MCSA, one more exam (70-417) earns the upgrade to 2012 MCSA, then 2 more exams from there for 2012 MCSE.

Decisions, decisions.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As far as I'm aware the MCITP:SA is from tomorrow no more, it's only MCITP:EA left available with MCSA 2008 being given for taking either 70-646 or 70-647
    Microsoft wrote:
    The MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 certification will be retired on July 31, 2013. The MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008 and the MCITP: Virtualization Administrator on Windows Server 2008 R2 certifications will be retired on January 31, 2014. You must meet all of the requirements for a certification prior the certification retirement date in order to earn that certification.
  • Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the MCITP:SA is from tomorrow no more, it's only MCITP:EA left available with MCSA 2008 being given for taking either 70-646 or 70-647

it's been extended til Jan 31st 2014.
  • Options
    Looks like the same folks who write up the exams come up with the deadline copy.