Options

What are the odds of starting a career in IT w/out a degree?

2»

Comments

• Options
    perljavageekperljavageek Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Basically the dilemma I face is this:

I recently moved to Redmond/ Seattle, WA with the intention of going back to school. Currently I have a Mon. - Fri. job that pays a decent wage and has benefits, ( Very BIG corporation, $16+ and hour, employer payed medical, dental, optical) The problem is that I have a 2 hour commute each way, and this isnt a career, its a job. More than likely this job wont be around in 9 months, so I need to get out, soon.

I was hoping to get an A+ cert. and a N+ cert, then find an entry level job in the IT field somewhere closer to where I live. I dont expect to end up with all the benefits I have now, I am just looking for something to pay the bills, ($15 an hour or so). I intend on going to school once I have secured a position that didnt require 4 hours of drive time per day.

If you're looking for an answer on what exactly to do, I don't think you're going to find it. In the end, the best answer depends on your needs and your situation.

One thing I *can* say is that you should figure out a true equivalent wage for a nearby job. When you figure how much you're spending in gas and the wear and tear on your car (which is real - it may not yet have had an impact on your wallet, but it will), you may be surprised. I would do this before setting a number on what you're willing to accept.

You may be making a mistake by saying "I need to make x dollars". That kind of short-term thinking can lock you into a more-limited-opportunity job that seems decent now, but won't look so good later.

You should get a degree. More and more it's just expected, and you'll benefit. I don't work with too many people that don't have degrees (even though that definitely doesn't make you smarter). And I can tell you from experience that delaying your college education is generally not a good move, because with the passage of time finishing that degree just gets more and more difficult.

Again, www.wgu.edu could be a great fit. At least check it out.

Cheers!
  • Options
    BaredorBaredor Member Posts: 99
    Just chiming in here:

I have a 4 year degree, granted it's in business administration and not in Computer Science, but thus far, I have yet to encounter anyone that cared about it (except the military). Of course, interviews have been few and far between too, but my point is don't think that if you have a degree that everything will instantly be wine and roses.

If you go through school and come out with a high GPA from a major college with good internships and experience, you'll start out better. But for those of us that have tried to enter the industry in less than ideal circumstances, things are slightly more diffcult and opportunities are harder to come by unless you know someone really that's very well connected.
  • Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    A lot of folks say a degree is neccessary, but up here I find that extensive experience and product knowledge with certifications always takes the cake. I was offered a job with the Government and the ad specifically stated a degree is required, but I only have a college diploma. I guess 7 years of experience in the required fields (deskside support, server admin, web technologies, reports and databases) with certifications to prove my knowledge is what got me in. Actually, I know it because the hiring manager told me outright, "sometimes you get lucky and someone comes along who is so perfectly qualified for your position, it doesn't matter if they meet the "paper" criteria". The key is it has to be reflected in a very obvious manner on resumes and cover letters, to pique their interest to hear more and get them excited about you.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    so i was a little crabby ..... do what you want with you're life.
    see how far a path takes you..... if not change .... lets play nice

and I will complete my degree in the near future.
    I 've got a 5 and 8 year old and ccie is path I've chosen for now.
    rm -rf /