Options

Infiniti G35 2008

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
Random question, anyone own this car? I want something luxurious but I don't want to be paying a **** load if something break, ie more then 300-400 dollars if i have to replace something

Comments

• Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Seriously? I remember your threads where you often complained how difficult your life is and how you are underpaid. Do you want to add owning a luxury car to the list of your problems? :)
  • Options
    boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    I own a 2005 coupe the repairs and basic maintenance is very expansive. Both my door windows have stopped rolling down at one point (almost 2 years apart) repair cost at a shop was ~$400 the second time i did the repair myself and the cost of the part (non oem) was $200 ($40 deposit). The 100k tune up will cost 1.5k at a dealership around $800 dollars everywhere else. Tires cost almost 300 each and you'll replace them every 3 years. Breaks at a shop can run up to $500 for all tires, if you buy the pads from the dealership oem ones are ~$130.

I think my door locks on both side need to be replaced.. they sometimes do not lock. Lots of electronic problems with the car all of which started happening after 100K miles and 6 years. Oh and the light that tells you what gear you are in near the shift stick no longer lights up for me.

Also consider the insurance it's very expensive!!! Get a quote for the insurance before you buy the car i think the price will surprise you.

And after listing all these problems, would I buy the car again? Yes :)
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    My Dad rocks one, if your worried about cost this isn't the car for you. Its nice, and fast, but you pay for that premium
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Whatever you do, don't put a louder aftermarket exhaust on. G35/350z exhaust note sounds like garbage.
  • Options
    well, my fiance just got a new job, i currently make 48k a year and pay about 500 a month for utilities, she pays the mortgage
  • Options
    I own a 2005 coupe the repairs and basic maintenance is very expansive. Both my door windows have stopped rolling down at one point (almost 2 years apart) repair cost at a shop was ~$400 the second time i did the repair myself and the cost of the part (non oem) was $200 ($40 deposit). The 100k tune up will cost 1.5k at a dealership around $800 dollars everywhere else. Tires cost almost 300 each and you'll replace them every 3 years. Breaks at a shop can run up to $500 for all tires, if you buy the pads from the dealership oem ones are ~$130.

I think my door locks on both side need to be replaced.. they sometimes do not lock. Lots of electronic problems with the car all of which started happening after 100K miles and 6 years. Oh and the light that tells you what gear you are in near the shift stick no longer lights up for me.

Also consider the insurance it's very expensive!!! Get a quote for the insurance before you buy the car i think the price will surprise you.

And after listing all these problems, would I buy the car again? Yes :)

thank you for this, it will help me put this in perspective, how much do you pay for insurance if you dont mind me asking? and how old are you?
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a 350 when they came out tons of recalls on the early years. At 5 years these things fall apart except the motor gorgeous cars though.

I wouldn't buy a 8 yr old sports____car,tourer,etc) it's guaranteed to be beat on.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ GAngel agreed. My old boss had a M5 and use the terrorize that car. We would make left hand turns and he would rip the car sideways all the time. I just laughed but I guess if you have the cash why not.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    This is typically the type of car you don't buy if you're worried about the cost of repairs. Is there anything else that interests you?
  • Options
    the style, it was either this or a bmw but i also don't like the repairs on those either, maybe i'll just get a Volvo...
  • Options
    opinions on 2007 Volvo S60 2.5T?
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    They are good looking cars. I like the way the grill and headlights look as they fade away in my rearview mirror.

I did a quick search in my area for 2008 G35 and found an average price of $19,500. The reason I buy used cars is to let someone else take that initial depreciation hit so I can save money and get a bit nicer car. However, at that price, you are in a decent new car price range or a used/off-lease car that is only a couple of years old. Those vehicles will still have warranties and better financing options. Features that made a car a 'luxury' model in 2008 have trickled down to be standard (or at least common) features - automatic climate control, rain-sensing wipers, heated seats, sat nav, sat radio, aux audio input, extra airbags, traction contol - all can be found in base models or one trim level up. Some, like traction control and tire pressure monitors, are required by law now. Examine the features you like in the G35 and see if you can't find them elsewhere. You can always find a deal on a sports car when someone realizes that a car seat won't fit in the back of a Camaro.

I sold cars for a few months after the dotcom bust, and one of my reasons to do so was to learn how to buy a car. Cars are an emotional item, and an expensive one at that. It's easy to get caught up in the moment and make a financial mistake. The best thing you can do is decide on a monthly payment that you think you can afford. Loan calculators will take the price and rate and give you a monthly payment. Then make that payment to a savings account for 6 months. That should be enough time to even out any month-to-month budget fluctuations and you will see if you can really afford that payment. If you struggle, change your maximum price target to match what you can afford. Don't assume that you will make more money soon and be able to handle the payment, additional expenses are more likely to appear in the future. You now know what you can afford and have some cash to take with you. You should have enough to cover the Tax, Title, and License fees - so you don't finance and thus pay interest on taxes - plus a little something to put down. Maybe even enough to go up a trim level and keep the same payment.

Buying a car is 3 separate transactions - selling your car, buying their car, and financing the car - do not combine them into one transaction. Go to CarMax (or someplace similar) that guarantees they will buy your car and get a quote. Go to your bank or credit union and get pre-approved for financing. The dealership may offer you more money or a better rate, but first you need a baseline for comparison. 0% financing isn't a great deal if $4000 worth of incentives go to the dealer instead of you, while you had a 4% rate offer from your bank. See if your bank has a car buying service. I used ours last year when I bought my wife her new minivan. I filled out a request, and they gave me their pre-negotiated price at an approved dealer in the area. I had a negotiated price and financing before we set foot on the lot for a test drive. The only thing left was to see if they would offer more for my wife's car than CarMax, and they did.

Cars last longer than ever so don't be afraid of a 72 month payment if you plan to keep the car that long. My car is paid for, I financed it for 60 months, and I plan on driving it for 8 years. We financed the van for 72 months because we knew we would keep it at least that long. If you are the type that likes to be in and out of cars every couple of years, you should consider a lease.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    opinions on 2007 Volvo S60 2.5T?

I wouldn't get a Volvo. I was a mechanic in my former life and man those cars have issues. My suggestion is get yourself a Subaru WRX or STI. Fast car that is fun to drive at a decent price. If you get a limited model it will have leather and heated seats and all the goodies.
  • Options
    just got a quote for insruance, he quoted me 154 a month or 929(6 months/full coverage) which is not that bad which also has my 1997 Honda on it too
  • Options
    thank you for this, it will help me put this in perspective, how much do you pay for insurance if you dont mind me asking? and how old are you?

128 a month and I am 27. This is with AAA and complete full coverage. I get a deduction for my engineering degree but I have high milage around ~30k a year.
  • Options
    thats not bad at all!
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    thats not bad at all!

I pay $105 a month for full coverage on a 2006 Subaru STI and a 2013 Honda Pilot and my wife and I are both 29. I would keep looking. Check out 21st century insurance and also if you have a Costco membership check there because they offer insurance to.

Also another thing I learned while shopping for rates is that if I put my wife as the policy holder and myself as the secondary driver the policy price dropped by about $30 a month. Nothing else changed but that.
  • Options
    i think 154 is an ok price for two cars
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    It is. I used to pay $110 for one old car and only had liability with average limits. It was in Orange County though. Now paying $35 for the same coverage in Nebraska.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ah, the Infiniti G35/G37...my favorite car. I want to own one of those some day. That and the GT-R =P
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    well, my fiance just got a new job, i currently make 48k a year and pay about 500 a month for utilities, she pays the mortgage
    And how much do you have in the bank?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Also the coupe is more expensive then the 4 door, in both insurance and maintenance.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I wouldn't really say a WRX or STi would be any cheaper to operate or repair. They're definitely a lot of fun but it comes at a price.

I'm really loving my Subaru BRZ as a daily driver lately, it might be an option if you're looking to buy new. They're going for ~23.5k new currently and your repair costs will be non-existent for quite some time.
  • Options
    currently 19000, will probably use 4000 as a down payment
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    A 2013 infiniti G37Xs hit me at work. She totaled out my 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo and did $18,000 worth of damage to her car. If you're looking for a nice car I recommend what I bought after that accident, 2013 Subaru Legacy Sport Brand new. It has a nice mix of luxury and sportiness. I wanted a G series car for a long time, but when I did the math between maintenance, price, insurance, and value it just wasn't worth it. I know you might not be looking at brand new cars but a Subaru Legacy brand new is the same price as the an infiniti g series used in your year range. So consider your options I guess.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    I think I'm gonna go w/ a used 2012 toyota Camry, seems to fit my bill more and they have a good reputation
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hey guys quick note on insurance quotes, it varies from metro area to metro area and even more from state to state.

Living in metro Detroit, we have rather high auto insurance rates even if you have good credit and great driving history. My wife and I are 28, and for two wranglers both with full coverage its $305/month. Thats the best deal we have been able to find, and this with our home owners added to it for the discount.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Claymoore wrote: »
    They are good looking cars. I like the way the grill and headlights look as they fade away in my rearview mirror.

I did a quick search in my area for 2008 G35 and found an average price of $19,500. The reason I buy used cars is to let someone else take that initial depreciation hit so I can save money and get a bit nicer car. However, at that price, you are in a decent new car price range or a used/off-lease car that is only a couple of years old. Those vehicles will still have warranties and better financing options. Features that made a car a 'luxury' model in 2008 have trickled down to be standard (or at least common) features - automatic climate control, rain-sensing wipers, heated seats, sat nav, sat radio, aux audio input, extra airbags, traction contol - all can be found in base models or one trim level up. Some, like traction control and tire pressure monitors, are required by law now. Examine the features you like in the G35 and see if you can't find them elsewhere. You can always find a deal on a sports car when someone realizes that a car seat won't fit in the back of a Camaro.

I sold cars for a few months after the dotcom bust, and one of my reasons to do so was to learn how to buy a car. Cars are an emotional item, and an expensive one at that. It's easy to get caught up in the moment and make a financial mistake. The best thing you can do is decide on a monthly payment that you think you can afford. Loan calculators will take the price and rate and give you a monthly payment. Then make that payment to a savings account for 6 months. That should be enough time to even out any month-to-month budget fluctuations and you will see if you can really afford that payment. If you struggle, change your maximum price target to match what you can afford. Don't assume that you will make more money soon and be able to handle the payment, additional expenses are more likely to appear in the future. You now know what you can afford and have some cash to take with you. You should have enough to cover the Tax, Title, and License fees - so you don't finance and thus pay interest on taxes - plus a little something to put down. Maybe even enough to go up a trim level and keep the same payment.

Buying a car is 3 separate transactions - selling your car, buying their car, and financing the car - do not combine them into one transaction. Go to CarMax (or someplace similar) that guarantees they will buy your car and get a quote. Go to your bank or credit union and get pre-approved for financing. The dealership may offer you more money or a better rate, but first you need a baseline for comparison. 0% financing isn't a great deal if $4000 worth of incentives go to the dealer instead of you, while you had a 4% rate offer from your bank. See if your bank has a car buying service. I used ours last year when I bought my wife her new minivan. I filled out a request, and they gave me their pre-negotiated price at an approved dealer in the area. I had a negotiated price and financing before we set foot on the lot for a test drive. The only thing left was to see if they would offer more for my wife's car than CarMax, and they did.

Cars last longer than ever so don't be afraid of a 72 month payment if you plan to keep the car that long. My car is paid for, I financed it for 60 months, and I plan on driving it for 8 years. We financed the van for 72 months because we knew we would keep it at least that long. If you are the type that likes to be in and out of cars every couple of years, you should consider a lease.

There are pros and cons to new/used. For one, the idea of buying used is fine if you are willing to sacrifice warranties or what the REAL vehicle history is. Third party warranties are a joke and CarFax doesn't tell you everything. Also, depending on the vehicle and incentives for the newer version...you give up a ton to save a few bucks. I just bought a 2013 F150 and it will cost me about the same month to month as it would for one that is a few years old and had up to 50k miles already. No point in that. Also, know that older vehicles carry higher finance rates and shorter terms. Oldest ones usually top out at 36 months. Put as much up front as you can because it will feel weird paying $300-$500 a month on a much older vehicle. Take any used car you want to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. ~$50 for this can save you headaches in the future and bring peace of mind if everything checks out.

Also, I took Ford's credit for 1 big reason. An extra $1500 shaved off the price. On top of all the other incentives going right now (including +$1500 trade in). Leasing would have been downright stupid in comparison...at least for this vehicle. The 6.85% rate is nasty as expected, but I plan to refinance to 2.8% in a few weeks through a credit union. Ford won't get a single payment from me and I win in the end. Dealers are aware of this too and will tell you that you *must* make 3 - 6 payments. Baloney. That's so they get their bonuses. Anyone with 10 minutes to research online should be doing this if they are in the market for a new vehicle.

As for Carmax, while I haven't used them...their feedback online is extremely mixed. Also no haggle? Why sacrifice that? I nabbed $900 in accessories for my truck to close the deal. That was after the salesman went back to his manager a few times.

Good advice on making payments to a savings account. Simple and effective strategy.

New or used, buying a car can be pretty stressful. You really need to do your homework to make sure you don't spend anymore than you need to do. And don't get screwed on things you never needed.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    Hey guys quick note on insurance quotes, it varies from metro area to metro area and even more from state to state.

Living in metro Detroit, we have rather high auto insurance rates even if you have good credit and great driving history. My wife and I are 28, and for two wranglers both with full coverage its $305/month. Thats the best deal we have been able to find, and this with our home owners added to it for the discount.

Holy cow! My wife and I pay 720 total every six months full coverage for a VW CC and Jetta and we live in the Ann Arbor area.