Options

What do you think was the greatest invention of all times?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Trifidw wrote: »
    Time didn't really matter in the sense of 10am until the invention (and use of) trains though.

I'm thinking something more along the lines of a tool that allowed things to be manufactured that weren't possible before. Maybe a Vernier scale?
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Time was no more invented than was gravity. Maybe clock for mesuring time accurately was a great invention but not time it's self.

Well according to history time was there from the very beginning, it obviously was never invented maybe god invented it but that's not the point, time can be measured in different sort of tools, in my post i wasn't being specific the tool that measures time like your time glass or the most commonly known tool, the clock and believe me there are many ways to measure time i was not sure which tool was the first and how did the idea develop or which measuring tool gave birth to what measuring tool, here in Africa they used to spit on the floor when they send you to the shop and they would expect you to be back from the shop before the spit actually dries up, if you got there when the spit is dried up then you were late, that's not an invention but it is a discovery and it measured time there probably could be more i just trying to make a catchy phrase and obviously when you say time what comes to your mind is the clock.

I think you guys are making sense of this post out of the replies you seeing here.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The scientific method.

Oh good one. A formalised way to purpose, and test ideas has been one of he biggest impacts on the rate of development increasing so signifently in the last few hundred years.

Logic is also another good on and is what he scientific method is based on.

These lead people to theorise that the motion of stars in the sky and an apple falling from a tree were linked. People started to see science as a logical system and not random. So the likes of electricity and radio could be harnessed and the explosion of inventions we have seen could happen.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    beantownmpbeantownmp Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    I am asking you out of curiosity because in my world I've never heard anyone who does, i thought it would be interesting know someone who does study rocket science, you know these terms about rocket science.

Well... I have worked with rocket scientists in the past, at a U.S. Army missile range in the Pacific. But this topic never came up LOL.

I still go with the Saturn V rocket. Millions of moving parts that withstood virtually every harsh environment imaginable, the cold of space and the heat of takeoff/atmospheric exit, and kept people alive throughout it all.

Jeff Bezos actually founf the F1 rocket motors on the ocean floor last March.

Amazon founder Bezos finds Apollo 11 engines on sea floor | Reuters
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Interestingly a 4 stroke combustion enginee has more moving parts than a basic rocket engine. Personal I think the curiosity rover is a far more amazing machine. Launched on a rocket that could shake most machines to peices. With a full laboratory bench full of instruments sensitive to the tiniest misalignments. With Intelegents to allow it to carry out a complex ballet of manovours including hovering in an unknown atmosphere while winching down the lander from a stable platform. All completely automonusly.

As a scientist I think it's incredible we can design and build such a thing and it works first time perfectly. SatanV was of course on of the machines that lead the way, but really it was a very manually controlled device. With little real computing power, for all its size it was glorified firework. Which takes nothing away fro the fact that firework put man on the moon and brought them back. But for complexity combined with reliability and autonomy, the current crop of space probs have it hands down.

And how about voyager, left our solar system this week, how crazy is that than man invented built and launched such a thing. So long ago and still working as intended. And it took this picture from 6billion miles away!!!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Pale_Blue_Dot.png
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    phdillardphdillard Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    Easy video games, nothing like sitting in front of your ps3 wasting time lol.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Easily, Green Tea, Coffee, video games, books and women :p
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    neo9006 wrote: »
    Easy video games, nothing like sitting in front of your ps3 wasting time lol.

Yeah i vote for that, don't mind getting paid doing that the whole day that's one of my best hobbies.icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    God....
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    God....

and Santa Claus
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The alarm clock.(it keeps me employed)
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with any answer dealing with paper or printed word.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    I don't know about "Greatest", but one of my favorites is Air Conditioning.

Also the refrigerator.
  • Options
    RouterroninRouterronin Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The computer....which was invented by the ancient Greeks. Antikythera mechanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say that
    the internet
    and also
    X-Rays
    would be up there
  • Options
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    Electricity would have to be way up there since it is the conduit for most other things being mentioned.

Or the cheeseburger. (I'm headed to lunch soon).

Didnt franklin invent electricity?
  • Options
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    Going back time and history from the first technological invention, in your own opinion what do you think was the greatest/best innovation that was invented in IT and abroad in technology?

-In my opinion i think, time was the best invention of all time, because it brought order and control of periods, if there was no time i would wake up at 10am to get prepared for work. What is yours?

Evilution created the greatest invention of all time: sexual reproduction. Before that life just wasnt worth livin.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I am not so sure that electricity was "Invented" so much as discovered...
  • Options
    ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    Birth Control
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
  • Options
    halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    Human Beings...