Options

Amazon AWS Interview, Network Engineer

2»

Comments

• Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Just curious, how much experience do you have with the above listed?

Everything except the new 7009 chassis (drolls, also "new" is subjective), but I've worked a lot in IOS, IOS-XE and NX-OS. I've done mid level implementation and operation of MX, SRX and ISG devices as well.

Everything else? Very strong experience.

@ Everyone thank you for the support and encouragement, this forum has been extremely central to my career success.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is the compensation like, if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Big congrats! Definitely going to look amazing on your resume and be a great experience on its own. And yes, if you don't mind, salary details would be great.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Big congrats! Definitely going to look amazing on your resume and be a great experience on its own. And yes, if you don't mind, salary details would be great.

Interviewer: So, what kind of compensation are you looking for? (This was during the 1st interview, so I was cocky "nothing to lose" mode, first question)

Me: I want 110k USD / year.

Interviewer: *Grins* do you want a hefty bonus as well per annum?

Me: 20% would be good. I'm humbled to be here, so compensation is the least of my concerns.

Interviewer: (Writes down notes on a notepad) Alright, log into this nexus 7k and walk me through vPC, what does it do, why do we use it, I'll explain the context of the customers requirements as we go along...

That became my offer.
  • Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    Congrats man. I would love an opportunity like that. How do you go about getting experience with that many different platforms? I mean I touch all the Cisco stuff listed Nexus. I work with the ASR (IOS-XR) stuff a lot instead of Nexus, but then to have juniper and F5 experience as well, that's a pretty broad base.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    "log into this 7k and walk me through vPC"

Must be nice to just have a 7k laying around for interviewees to futz with. Only slightly jelly. Congrats!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new job!! icon_thumright.gif

I will second that as well that the TechExams forum community is amazing. The support and encouragement has been extremely helpful to my career success and moving up progressively. icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Darkerz nice work you hot shot! I mean that in a good way and you're 24? (if memory serves me correctly) Need advice asked Darkerz he walks the walk not just talks it.
  • Options
    mpathak2mpathak2 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi Darkerz,

I chanced upon the same position. Its going to be my 1st phone screening. Would you be sharing your experience?
  • Options
    mpathak2 wrote: »
    hi Darkerz,

I chanced upon the same position. Its going to be my 1st phone screening. Would you be sharing your experience?

When I saw your thread, I KNEW this has to come up. In fact, I can google "Amazon AWS Interview" and this is on the top of the page. Really spooky.

My experience, without breaking any sort of "unspoken trusts", is the technical phone screens are technical. I want you to read and note the RFC's listed in the description, write them down on a piece of paper.

I would then recommend a good read on Routing TCP/IP Volume I, Second editions and Volume II. Flash card the concepts, I would recommend knowing TCP, IP, ARP, SSL, OSPF, BGP, HSRP, VRRP, GLBP and the nooks' and crannies in the middle very well. If its on the description, like any job, known it. If it's on your resume, you better be an SME at it by this point in the game. My guess is a mixture of theory, application but mostly "Are you faking it with manufactured GNS3 & book experience or not" - I prefer that approach.

Yes, there will probably be a second or third phone screening but I can't say, everyone's experience will differ, obviously. Yes, it will be technical in nature, the recruiter will clarify this for you.

The leadership principles - incorporate this into your answers, it's taken really seriously over there. I know a few guys at Amazon, we're pretty close, it's not just fluff. Frugality, especially. Are you used to a generous CAPX and OPEX? I hope not for long.

So,

Feel free to ping me with any questions *within reason!*. I'm sure plenty of people have gotten far into the process, and to be honest it was and still is (trust me, it really is) extremely difficult to resist the addiction to AWS, their various groups and very persistent recruiters. Only time will tell whether my own personal long term career path will continue where I am currently, or down the Seattle' campus path.

Good problem to have I suppose.

N2IT wrote: »
    Darkerz nice work you hot shot! I mean that in a good way and you're 24? (if memory serves me correctly) Need advice asked Darkerz he walks the walk not just talks it.

Reading, studying, labbing, flash carding / raw memorization and way too many "Network Nerd" media's (podcast, youtubes, cbt's, etc) consistently for 5 years really does wonders. I guess the trick is don't be comfortable, don't do 1 year of experience 10 years over. Some really smart girl on this forum said that once, I believe.

Being hansom helps as well. /Shameless plug