Options

Free Meraki AP with 3 year cloud license

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I got a crappy Meraki Z1. My friend got a MR16 and Zoo got a MR12. Looks like they're just giving a variety of them out.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I have a client who is going to buy a Meraki MX90 firewall. I am looking forward to setting that up for them.
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This will sound shallow but...

I like the way they look.

Very sexy everything.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    ZoovashZoovash Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is no Cisco logo on it. I'm guessing they are leftover devices before Cisco bought them and are now used as a way to promote the new Cisco-Meraki products.
    Just my two cents.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I got a Z1 as well.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We are moving to Meraki, so I'm all for getting one to play with...
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I simply used my student email address, attended the webinar and gave them a call and they are sending me one :)

BTW, how do they ship them (UPS ground, FedEx, etc.?)
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    We use these on all of our main and remote sites and it really makes things a snap! Can't say enough good things about them! Their iOS app is pretty nice too! I haven't used their firewalls or switches yet, anyone have any good/bad things to say about them?
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There's a lot to be said about being able to access these devices from anywhere and they've certainly done a lot to idiot proof them.
    However I'm not ready to place my confidence in a device that is capable of doing packet captures of the inside of my network through the cloud.
    Just my personal view.

If I was responsible for managing thousands of devices, and was allowed to do so from a lounge chair in Hawaii , my view would be different.
    There's always that balance between security and convenience that varies from environment to environment.
  • Options
    phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We're a Meraki partner and I'm the main Meraki guy at our company, so I thought I'd chime in.

When we first thought about signing up, I took the Meraki webinar and got the free MR-12. I work at an MSP, so it seemed to be a good fit. We became a partner shortly thereafter and I went for their training program (Certified Meraki Network Associate = CMNA). It was a free 1-day/8-hour training session where they had a number of instructors do technical training on their switch, firewall and wireless products. Upon completion, you get a free MR-24, MS-22 and MX-60, which is like $4000 MSRP in hardware. Unfortunately, I see that since Cisco bought them, the CMNA hardware offering isn't as good and there are more restrictions for who can go (whereas before, any partner could). In our class it was 50+% Cisco employees trying to get familiar with the new products.

Over the past 9 months or so, we've sold and implemented many Meraki wireless systems. Anywhere from 1 to 14 APs. From a management perspective, it's a walk in the park. I can configure a typical system in about 10 minutes and even a more complex one in <30. Ongoing monitoring and support is very nice. The hardware is OK. We've had a ton of problems with their outdoor models, but the indoor ones seem reliable. The feature set is awesome, but the range/power/etc. is about mid-range for this class of hardware. One issue I have is that they are a bit too dumbed down. What I mean by this is that they take away a lot of fine tune control to make them simpler to use/install. This is a good and bad thing. The ongoing costs are high, but the upfront cost is a bit less.

FYI - The MR12 is crap. Even Meraki says so. The MR16 is much better (and more expensive). The MR24 is even better but almost double the MSRP of the MR16.

Sales/support wise is a mixed bag. I've had some good experiences and some bad ones.

Overall, I like Meraki. Time will tell how the Cisco merger affects them.

But yeah, get the free AP if you can. I have an MR24 and MR12 in my house (one on each floor), and it's very nice.
  • Options
    BTW, can you configure basic AP settings locally such as setting the WPA key, SSID, etc.?
  • Options
    When you mean locally, are you asking about directly on the AP without it having Internet access? If so, no.

Outside of LAN information (ie: static IP, VLAN, etc. - basically what it needs to get online), everything else has to be done through the cloud controller. While you can set what they do in the event of an Internet failure (to allow them to still function to provide LAN access to clients), any configuration on the wireless side needs to be done through Meraki's dashboard. Without a license and connectivity to the controller, they are 100% useless.
  • Options
    That's what I meant, thanks for the answer. That's a shame, I guess that's an incentive for people to keep paying for a new license.
  • Options
    Yeah, they built their model around people paying for licenses perpetually. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's something to keep in mind.

One useful feature the APs do offer is when you are associated to them, you can go to Meraki. From there, anyone can run various tests, including a speedtest directly to the AP. I've found that quite useful during troubleshooting. It helps to identify a WLAN versus LAN/WAN connectivity problem.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Just got an email telling me that my Meraki Z1 has been shipped. I was hoping for at least an MR12 but that's fine. I'm going to give it to a client to use anyways

Interesting, they shipped me an MR12
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    dacetodaceto Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They sent me an MR12 as well.
  • Options
    Been about a week, no shipping notification email yet.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can't wait for mine. Thanks for sharing Iris
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This thread seems dead, but i was curious whether you guys are enjoying your Merakis?
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really enjoy mine, and they delivered it quick.
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Haven't had a chance to play with it yet but here's a Meraki next to a standard Cisco AP:

http://i.imgur.com/6vtaGt5.jpg
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Question, I got my MR12 the other day but didn't see a license included. Is it somehow tied to the device's serial #?
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Haven't had a chance to play with it yet but here's a Meraki next to a standard Cisco AP:

http://i.imgur.com/6vtaGt5.jpg

the smiley face is what sells it for me :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dont really like Meraki but its true that smalley face is really cool hahah
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone else's APs cutting in and out? I had a period of about 3 and a half days of the AP being down, with no reports from Meraki. I only noticed when I tried to log in and failed to get to the splash screen. Rebooting the AP fixed the issue, but it worries me if I'm going to use this in a commercial environment.

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    @MSP-IT - I haven't had any issues with Meraki yet. My sites were running without issue between Dec 1st through 4th. I have about 40 sites connected that all have Meraki APs and I haven't had any network outages that weren't related to network LAN issues as of yet.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wonder what kind of service checking they do for connectivity of the AP to the Internet. I was able to log into the management site and it was reporting that the AP was functional. I guess I should've done a little more digging before I rebooted the router and figured out the cause of the issue.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I never received mine
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm suppose to get mine in the next 7 days. We'll see...

Edit: Got mine and promptly put in on eBay since I have new AC wireless router. What can I say, seeing what it was going for on eBay was just to much for me.
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    Can someone provide me with the URL to register the 3 year license?

I lost my documentation. I have the order number though.

THanks,
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.