Options

WGU BS:IT/Software (starting Nov. 1st 2013)

Comments

• Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Waiting on Taskstream to grade both tasks for CDP1.

I'm having a rough time deciding what topic to use for TJP1. I really want to get these gened projects out of the way so I can get back to IT stuff. I'm not looking forward to TCP1, so I'll probably do that after TJP1. After that, smooth sailing until tech writing and capstone :-/
  • Options
    CDP1 results are in, both tasks passed first attempt. I've put in several hours today on my presentation for TJP1. I'm doing an informative presentation on network neutrality and the Tom Wheeler clusterfook. I'll probably wait for task one results before recording my video.

Tomorrow, I'll try to crank out task one for TCP1.

Outta my way, cause I got no brakes :)
  • Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Congrats on the pass!!!
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options

TJP1 (application of effective communication) task one passed today, so tomorrow I'll record the video, then dig in and wrestle with TCP1 (research paper/English II).
  • Options
    Recorded, cut, and submitted the video. To my surprise, it passed a couple hours later. Next up, English II. I think I'll do the research paper on driverless cars. Aiming to finish by Friday, then study for Javascript and SQL.

Seven classes left.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What classes do you have left?
  • Options
    mGvA6TM.jpg

Just that, the other 3 are database fundamentals which I'll be skipping.
  • Options
    Task one for English II submitted. I can't wait to be done with this class so I can get to the fun stuff. The cert stuff will go super fast, and while I'm sort of dreading the tech writing/capstone, I know it'll mean I'm done, and I'll force myself to get it done. It'll be easier once they're the only two classes left on the board :)

Before I can get to any of that, I have to hope they pass my annotated bibliography (doing a paper on autonomous cars) so I can crank out the real paper. Goal is to finish it by Friday, and schedule the CIW database and javascript exams by the 23rd. After that, Project+ by the 30th, and Software II (Perl) by the middle of June. That gives me a whole month to write the last two papers, and I might push hard and aim to finish earlier than mid-July.
  • Options
    The CIW exams for Database I and Web programming are pretty basic. I'm excited for you. You mentioned once you are done with this BS program you are jumping in the software development program after right?
  • Options
    Yes, I hope the program will be ready so I can accelerate in for free. They let you take two classes of a new program for free, then a third if you pass those two, if you graduate with 90 days or more remaining in your term. Most folks use it to accelerate into a masters, but I'd much rather have the softwre development degree. I can't wait to do the data structures and software engineering classes.
  • Options
    Do you already know once you are done with your current program and transfer the same classes in (if they allow that) how many classes you will have left in the new program?
  • Options
    Nope, all I know is I'll have at least the required 30 CU to earn a second degree, so I haven't worried about the specifics. If I take the three free classes as part of my current term, it should leave me with a manageable class load so I can finish in a single extra term. That would leave me with about $10k in student loan debt and two degrees, which I'm totally OK with since I have no other debts and I plan to pay it down as quickly as I can.

edit: Editing to save on space: TCP1 (English II) task 1 came back for minor revision. Done and submitted. Hopefully I can finish the actual paper tomorrow and Friday.
  • Options
    OK, TCP1 (English Composition II) task one passed. Gotta write the paper now. It's tough to get motivated to do busywork, but I know it needs to be done.

In other news, I started an unofficial WGU IRC channel on freenode. There's only about 6 regulars so far, but it's growing fast and everyone is friendly, so if you're going to WGU or just want to chat about the school or coursework, stop in and say hi :)
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    In other news, I started an unofficial WGU IRC channel on freenode. There's only about 6 regulars so far, but it's growing fast and everyone is friendly, so if you're going to WGU or just want to chat about the school or coursework, stop in and say hi :)

Great idea! I will look at joining up this weekend
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    TCP1 (English Comp II) passed. I spent all day and half the night yesterday writing the paper, and it passed first try. Next up, Javascript and Database I. Aiming to test on the 23rd. I'm taking a day off from school tomorrow to deliver flowers for the shop I was working at before I started WGU, mostly just to get out of the house and do something :)
  • Options
    I just signed up to take the CJV1 (Database I) exam on Monday morning. The CIW materials are pretty mind-numbing, just big walls of text crammed into pdfs and sprinkled with low-res diagrams. I need to power through the rest of it and get this done with. That's why I signed up for the exam. I think I work better under pressure. Is that weird?

I did go through the whole introductory database course on Lynda, and while informative, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to align well with the end-of-chapter quizzes in the CIW material. I do find databases interesting, it's just a shame WGU couldn't provide better materials. Oh well.

After this one, Javascript, then I need to decide whether to do Perl or Project+.
  • Options
    Overstudied again. Passed the CJV1 exam (CIW 1D0-541/Database I) with a 98%. I'm pretty sure I know which one I got wrong. Spent somewhere around 60 hours preparing for this one, and it was probably too much, but I wanted to focus on understanding the material, not just passing the test. SQLZOO and Animated DataBase Courseware were awesome non-WGU resources for this one.

Javascript is next, and I think I will spend a bit less time studying. I'd be happy with an 85% or so. The CIW exams I've taken so far have been almost trivially easy, so while I'd hate to underestimate one, I don't really see that happening.

Three exams and two papers left :)
  • Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Wow you are going to be done in a year for sure.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    I need to be done by the end of July so I can accelerate into a second degree program for free :)

edit: Screw it, scheduled BOV1 (Web Programming) for Thursday afternoon. I already have a webserver running on a CentOS VM, I already know the syntax, and I'm going to put in three 12-16 hour days. I'll be ready in time.
  • Options
    Nailed BOV1, 95%. Perl is scheduled for next Thursday. I expect it to be a bit tougher than Javascript, so I gave myself a whole week. If I'm not ready, I'll just reschedule, but it should be enough time. CIW materials are very poorly written, but I've found that if you just power through the reading, they give you everything you need to pass, and then some.

On the CIW exams I've taken so far, the questions have all had two very obviously wrong answers, one pretty obviously wrong answer, and the right answer. It's not challenging, and it doesn't even feel like they're really testing your knowledge, more like they are testing if you read their crummy materials. I enjoyed my Oracle and Comptia (and WGU, for that matter) exams way more than anything from CIW. Sorry, just wanted to vent a little :)

Thankfully, Perl is the last of the CIW exams. After that, Project+ (goal date 6-10-14) and the tech writing/capstone. I've got 16 CU to go.

edit: I'm actually enjoying the Perl material. I wonder if it was written by someone else.. I actually look forward to this exam, and I might even bump it up to Tuesday or Wednesday. Will decide on Monday.
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ratbuddy,

Awesome progress man. Your thread gets me motivated to go ahead and schedule a couple of the CIW exams and get started on my Bachelor's degree as well. I wish you the best of luck on getting done by the end of July and getting into the new degree program.
  • Options
    Thanks, biggene.

WPV1 (Software II/CIW Perl) done. Passed with a 94%. The exam was very easy in typical CIW fashion. Each question has two obviously wrong answers, and of the remaining two, one with a not-so-subtle error, and one that's right. No ambiguity at all, which is nice. If you read (and understand) the material, you will pass CIW exams. You might see them try to trick you with = vs == or !~ vs =~ on the coding exams, but if you know the language, such tricks won't work.

Next up, Project+, then the final two papers. I've bumped my graduation date goal to the end of June. Gonna rock it out.
  • Options
    Good Job ratbuddy! I'm on Project + now and its painfully mind numbing. Wish I just had that and the 2 papers I still have Linux+ 2 exams to contend with then the 2 papers. Good luck on Project+.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea, Project+ can be a bear. I had to literally punch myself to stay awake lol.
  • Options
    I scheduled it for next Thursday to force myself to study :)
  • Options
    WGU just updated the program page for the new B.S. Software Development track. Now it says accepting enrollments starting in September. That screws me over - I will only have two months left in my term, while WGU requires 90 days remaining if you plan to accelerate into a second degree for free. Really hope they can make an exception, I want the software degree before I go job hunting.
  • Options
    TPV1 (Project+) passed with a 900/900. I'm actually pretty surprised by this - I guess you don't need 100% of answers right to score a 900, because I did have to make an educated guess on a half dozen questions or so, and I can't have gotten them all right. I did find that the formulas people seem to dwell on are not that important. I only had to use the whiteboard once, for a bit of basic math. If you know the concepts and abbreviations, you don't need to memorize the actual formulas, because they all make sense in the context of the questions. Learn what EV, PV, and AC stand for, and you won't need to memorize the formula, you'll know what they mean and how to solve problems involving them. Know what CPI and SPI stand for, and know that they are good when positive and bad when negative, and you can work out the rest on your own.

Usual study regimen: 12-16 hours a day of videos and reading. I watched every Pluralsight Project+ video twice, and the material was perfectly aligned with the exam. I highly recommend Pluralsight for this course. You can get a 90 day free subscription through Dreamspark, or if you already used yours, go ahead and spend the $30 for a month. It's absolutely, 100%, not even a question, worth it.

The WGU practice tests (ucertify? I forget, barely used it) were way out of line with the material on the actual test. Like, they asked stuff way beyond the scope of the exam. I guess overstudying could be beneficial in some cases, but not this one: just ignore the WGU materials on this one, they are not very good.

I've already spoken to a course mentor about the tech writing and capstone subject, and I'm good to go. Planning to have tech writing done by Sunday or so, then capstone as soon as tech writing is accepted.

Super excited, I can't wait to get started in the real world of software development.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, that's impressive man! I only got like an 800 on that test. You're one of the few people I know that can study for that amount of time and retain everything you studied; that's a great trait to have. Good luck on the tech writing and capstone.
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Keep pushing on. I have 5 classes left and until the end of August to finish. I am dreading the Tech writing and Capstone.
  • Options
    Thanks anoeljr and 100k.

Get that dread out of your mind. It's not going to help. Tell yourself that you are going to fully apply yourself to the task at hand, then do it. Don't put the tasks off when the time comes, and start thinking about project ideas while working on your other remaining classes. There is really nothing to be gained by delaying. You just need to dig in and get it done. I'm not kidding, own that sh*t.