I feel bad for the youth of today

At my company we are currently interviewing for an operations assistant/entry pc tech and we are looking to recruit from a local tech school in our area and I'm astounded how terrible these resumes are. Every single resume just looked progressively worst. From the tone of the resumes they all sound like real young candidates for there sake I hope they are. Its like no one knows how to write a resume or formulate a sentence and these are the top contenders the career advisor has for us. One of them mentioned that they like to listen to trance and ambient elevator music.

I feel there should be a mandatory business writing or life skills class in H.S. because these young kids seem to be thrown into the real world clueless. I can't even say that the people attended tech/career training schools are incompetent or dumb because I attended one of those training schools and met a lot of smart people who advanced into systems/network admin positions.

Ok I'm done with my Rant

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I read resumes for senior engineers with 10+ years experience and most of them can't form a sentence either. I don't think it has much to do with the youth today.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The English classes today in this country are efficient enough to teach the children (Except for maybe Mississippi. Their education system is terrible). The problem comes between three thing primarily: Parenting, the general public's influence for being as lazy as possible, and a lack of motivation. Personally, you get out of public schooling what you put into it. The end.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I completely agree with everything you've said here. Not only are the resumes that I receive at work absolute garbage but even the ones from intelligent close friends clearly need a lot of work.

I've actually been considering getting a website spun up dedicated to technical resumes that not only shows how to write an effective resume, but also the impact that they have on the selection process. Even pointing out a few common mistakes seems to make a world of difference among those that I help with.
  • redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    (Removed)

That being said, I've seen (even had, once upon a time) pretty horrible resumes ("hobbies: horseback riding"... Thanks, didn't ask). I am a huge advocate of PAR format (Update Your Resume).

With the wealth of resources available to people, I don't feel that there's a good excuse for a bad resume, whether it is at junior, mid, or senior levels.
  • LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    It is all in the sig...

"Let me apologize in advance if punctuality and spelling is incorrect. I mostly respond on my samsung galaxy 2 when im free and fixing little details are a pain.""
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
    Maybe people are writing their resumes on their tablets too!
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I've said it before, IT attracts some of the biggest losers you will ever come across. Lazy and incompetent = 60% of IT "Professionals".

As far as "youth", I expect the attitude of "I have a BA degree and I deserve a high paying salary based on that" attitude coupled with all the other entitlements.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Found this picture somewhere.
    jB10Eznh_oQ.jpg
  • The TechnomancerThe Technomancer Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't know about you all, but I was fortunate enough to have some great mentors early in my professional life. I've always taken the view that if my younger peers are doing it wrong, it's an opportunity for me to mentor them if they'll accept it.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I've said it before, IT attracts some of the biggest losers you will ever come across. Lazy and incompetent = 60% of IT "Professionals".

As far as "youth", I expect the attitude of "I have a BA degree and I deserve a high paying salary based on that" attitude coupled with all the other entitlements.

Yes. Lazy, incompetent, unprofessional, of questionable personal hygiene, quasi anti-social, and frankly weird.
    Man, Packet, you've been in the game too long. You're jaded. Go on a cruise, get a massage, whatever centers you - just try to relax a bit. You're always attacking the younger generation. They aren't perfect (hell, I'll agree that many aren't even good), but did you start out perfect in all your soft skills or did you have a mentor somewhere along the way?

The betterment of the IT community isn't about angst, whining, and attacking the next generation of IT workers, whether or not they have an overgrown sense of entitlement based on mediocre "accomplishments", like the same four-year degree that everyone else has.

I didn't want to put in time on help desk and I didn't want to put in time on administration. Nobody does. Those jobs blow. Expecting people entering the workforce to be happy with help desk and administration jobs is ridiculous, because we weren't happy with them either.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @redz Well I did type those two paragraphs rather quickly but you have to be kidding me if you are going criticize a forum post. This is an open forum and as informal as it gets. There is no need to be stringent with every sentence. I am talking about professional resumes which employers use as a first impression.

I am not sure why anyone would list there hobbies on a resume. After reading today's resumes it looks like the preferred hobby is playing video games. Some of the resumes felt as if I was reading a dating profile.
    I wasn't criticizing your post. I laughed. It was ironic. I mentioned your signature IN THE ORIGINAL POST.

Edit: I was seriously not trying to attack you or anything like that. If you're honestly offended by that bit of irony, followed by mention of the signature and a smiley face, I'll delete it. Read it before playing "pile on".
    Alright boys and girls, let's keep it professional.
    @Redz its ok don't sweat it
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I think we all understand nobody is perfect but a resume is viewed as an example of your very best work. When the quality of writing in your resume is worse than the minimum I would accept going out to an external client then we have a major issue.
    I don't think its stressed enough that a good resume keeps it out of the garbage.
    Most hiring processes are tragic failures to begin with. I could write a book on that. I got one interview without submitting a resume - I copied and pasted the job posting into the plain text "resume" box. Neither HR, nor the hiring manager, bothered to read it before scheduling an interview, and didn't realize what I had done until actually conducting the interview (I didn't get the job).

I do agree that resume-writing should be taught, but I also have no remorse for those who fail, because all it takes is a Google search to find thousands of pages of tips, templates, et al.
    redz wrote: »
    Man, Packet, you've been in the game too long. You're jaded. Go on a cruise, get a massage, whatever centers you - just try to relax a bit. You're always attacking the younger generation. They aren't perfect (hell, I'll agree that many aren't even good), but did you start out perfect in all your soft skills or did you have a mentor somewhere along the way?

No, I just no longer have a tolerance for incompetence. There is a notable difference between someone who lacks knowledge but is willing and capable of learning and your "IT Pro" who has been around years yet lacks basic task management.

The betterment of the IT community isn't about angst, whining, and attacking the next generation of IT workers, whether or not they have an overgrown sense of entitlement based on mediocre "accomplishments", like the same four-year degree that everyone else has

I enjoy helping others and do so often, again I feel I am in the minority here as well.

I didn't want to put in time on help desk and I didn't want to put in time on administration. Nobody does. Those jobs blow. Expecting people entering the workforce to be happy with help desk and administration jobs is ridiculous, because we weren't happy with them either.

I was completely happy because I looked toward the future, it was my foot in the door and within 1-2 months I was off and working at client site billing. The problem is, few want to work hard and study to achieve but everyone wants to be a "Sr" position and get that "Sr" salary.

I am jaded about the "cart before the horse" mentality that runs rampid in IT. I'm just at the point to each his own, I will run over anyone in my way to my goals and i'm not stopping for anyone. As I see it, the field needs the lackies...I simply refuse to be one of them.

See above in bold

• beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Its OK we have sent the emergency "security unicorn" to Redz desk replete with coupons for a massage at a nearby truck stop and some of those Carnival Cruise Line pamphlets - just in case.

As for the start of the post. Yeah, been there - done that. Everything from l33t speak resumes to the worst of helicopter parents and the young man interviewing for an entry level position that fell asleep in my office. Maybe I am boring but never had someone fall asleep in my office - let alone in 10 minutes. No worries, I brought my boss down to see his candidate drooling away as he soundly slept for an hour and a half. I just had to find out for myself. Could go on and on but it'd probably sound much like I'm bashing myself in some odd way.

Now, about some rainbows and plushie animals for Redz cube. Hmmmmm.... Ahhh the delicious possibilities.

- B Eads
    A lot of the people who lack knowledge but are willing and capable of learning are the people coming into IT that you're thrashing, and the "IT Pro" who has been around for years generally isn't.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    As far as forming sentences, that is a skill that a student should have command of before leaving elementary school.
    The English classes today in this country are efficient enough to teach the children (Except for maybe Mississippi. Their education system is terrible).

I was born and raised in Mississippi. (Hah, save the jokes about how that explains a lot about me.) One big problem, at least in my county, was segregation. I told some coworkers about it, and they didn't believe me.

Segregation academies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Academies' Are Still Going Strong - Sarah Carr - The Atlantic
    The problem comes between three thing primarily: Parenting, the general public's influence for being as lazy as possible, and a lack of motivation. Personally, you get out of public schooling what you put into it. The end.

I feel that parental involvement is HUGE.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Final_Parent_Involvement_Fact_Sheet_14732_7.pdf
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158

I don't necessarily think people with college degrees are entitled. Rather, since people are taught the value of a college degree since elementary, they end up putting way to much value on it after they graduate with one. Many do not even know what direction to go with that degree other than what was taught to them in college.
  • SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    I strongly dislike when people make general statements such as "today's youth." Now, I know many of my peers who do have a sense of entitlement. However, every generation seems to be blind to their own problems. There have been hardworking and lazy people since the beginning of time. Our "youth" eventually become older and wiser (hopefully).

I do agree that high schools need more training with regards to the "real world." Topics might include money management, interviews, resumes, networking (not switches/routers), and maybe even some real life experience speaking with people who are successful or have lived long lives. I have personally learned quite a bit from working with elderly people (70-100+ years old) in the past. You realize that the only difference between them and you them is some number of years. Experiences like this really show us young folk that life is finite, for lack of a better term. Some of these kids (and adults alike) need to hear that what is stressing them out today will not even be a consideration 5, 10, or 20 years from now. I can think back to stressful situations 10 years back that make me laugh these days.

Okay, I went a bit off there, but understand that us "youth" are all individuals and not a homogeneous group.
  • PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I don't necessarily think people with college degrees are entitled. Rather, since people are taught the value of a college degree since elementary, they end up putting way to much value on it after they graduate with one. Many do not even know what direction to go with that degree other than what was taught to them in college.

While its another generalization this forum tends to not respect higher education at all. I don't know why.

Higher ed is undoubtedly the number one recruiting pool for the top tech companies.
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    This actually is a sensitive subject for me, as English is not my first language even though I was born in the states and most of my schooling has been state side. You'd never know from talking to me as I do not have an accent of any kind. I do try and make an effort but I cannot always identify an incomplete sentence.(That's what my wife is for :).)

As far as resumes go, I will admit, I don't put the best AwesomeGarrett out there.

Once I talk tech though, people seem to suddenly forget to how bad my grammar or spelling may be from time to time.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Everyone single resume I have ever seen in person has been laughable. We literally save them and laugh at them and have inside jokes about resumes.

However I don't think it has anything to do with IT or youth.
    Ive seen poor resumes from all ages.
    I rewrote most of my family members and friends resumes for them and explained why they need to take it seriously. And I don't consider myself to be a good resume writer either...
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Everyone single resume I have ever seen in person has been laughable. We literally save them and laugh at them and have inside jokes about resumes.

However I don't think it has anything to do with IT or youth.
    Ive seen poor resumes from all ages.
    I rewrote most of my family members and friends resumes for them and explained why they need to take it seriously. And I don't consider myself to be a good resume writer either...

I want to know what exactly do you find laughable. Poor grammar? Spelling? Over selling their skills? Hard to read?
    This actually is a sensitive subject for me, as English is not my first language even though I was born in the states and most of my schooling has been state side. You'd never know from talking to me as I do not have an accent of any kind. I do try and make an effort but I cannot always identify an incomplete sentence.(That's what my wife is for :).)

As far as resumes go, I will admit, I don't put the best AwesomeGarrett out there.

Once I talk tech though, people seem to suddenly forget to how bad my grammar or spelling may be from time to time.

I sincerely hope you don't put "CCENT, CCNA, CCNP" on your resume. lol

• olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I want to know what exactly do you find laughable. Poor grammar? Spelling? Over selling their skills? Hard to read?
    It seems most people miss the point of having a resume. Many people got jobs without using a resume (from friends, military, online job applications that dont require resumes etc) and when it comes time to move on they do not know where to begin on writing one.
    Many assume the resume is something extra.

What I find laughable about the ones I read (I don't do the hiring btw, Im just a low level pawn) is what people choose to include. Random facts about highschool sports teams, video game preferences, things they don't want to do, "Objective- to make money", colorful fonts, headshots (I love these), unrelated skills, grammar. The list goes on...