Options

IT positions in Miami are tough! Do I have to relocate?

I been trying to land a basic IT position with my A+. I know it does weight too much but I cant get at least a interview anywhere I apply. Might I have to relocate? any tips? I work at a hospital and had an interview for a IT position and gave it to a outsider. I tried craigslist and dice but very little luck.
1776 is the answer to 1984!
«1

Comments

  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    I can't speak to the IT job market in Miami but I would ask, how's your resume look and how polished are your interviewing skills? I think I would look at improving both of those (if needed) before considering to move elsewhere for opportunity.

    I've had a lot of luck with indeed.com, and I hear linkup.com is also a good one to check out. Never had any luck on dice.
    Ideally, you want to try to network with people you know, or meet new people that might be able to help you get an interview or recommendation. I last read that only 1% of jobs are filled from online job postings (though it has been a while since I read that) I think the point is, you are targeting the least effective way to land a job by only applying online.
  • Options
    tecketecke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you have any IT experience? If not your goal should be experience by any means necessary. Meaning you should look for volunteer work, craigslist ads, going to repair shops and asking for work, so on and so fourth. Be creative and get at least 6 months of experience along with your A+ cert, and this should up your rep a bit. "grave_digger" Think about your competition; I mean know your competition by going on social media and finding the profiles of folks at job positions you have applied for. Also keep trying, improvise your approach and you will get results! To be frank I don't think relocation would be necessary unless you have minimal time to build your career and need quick money but anywhere in the US you really cant expect much pay with only a A+ cert. Good luck !
  • Options
    grave_diggergrave_digger Member Posts: 127
    BGraves wrote: »
    I can't speak to the IT job market in Miami but I would ask, how's your resume look and how polished are your interviewing skills? I think I would look at improving both of those (if needed) before considering to move elsewhere for opportunity.

    I've had a lot of luck with indeed.com, and I hear linkup.com is also a good one to check out. Never had any luck on dice.
    Ideally, you want to try to network with people you know, or meet new people that might be able to help you get an interview or recommendation. I last read that only 1% of jobs are filled from online job postings (though it has been a while since I read that) I think the point is, you are targeting the least effective way to land a job by only applying online.

    thats the thing though EVERYWHERE you have to apply online its insane. I rather go in a suit but they ALWAYS tell me " oh you have to apply online" its ridicules.
    1776 is the answer to 1984!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I said it the other day, Florida complaints are piling up like crazy.

    It is what it is. If you want to be considered you have to play the "let's fill job applications online with apps that suck" game. This is the new standard and it will not change any time soon. This is also why you really have to decide which positions are worth your time and effort. Always have a plan for filling these out and factor in anywhere from 5-20 min. per application. Also make sure your resume is flawless and you customize it for each potential job. At this point whatever you have been doing has't worked so you'll need to step up your game. It may be inconvenient yet necessary. Good luck!
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    I got a question... how was it to apply for a job back in the so called days?? Wasn't it just as much as a good ole boy club as it is now, or for any other industry for that matter??
  • Options
    j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was looking on dice at jobs, and Miami is the second lowest average paying IT job market, which I found surprising. #1 was Kansas City... =(

    I would assume its because of the over abundance of qualified IT people for fewer jobs so it is more of an employers market.
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I would suggest also looking into taking the Windows 7 exam. It will look good with the A+ because then you show you have OS skills and Hardware.
    Otherwise only thing I would say is do what is suggested above and just keep applying. Check K12JobSpot and see if anyone is looking for help in schools around the city or in the city.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I said it the other day, Florida complaints are piling up like crazy.

    The saying down here is that we get paid in sunshine. But yes, Florida does pay a good bit lower for the same jobs as elsewhere. I've been getting hits for jobs out of state paying up to $100k long term contract W2 and the same types of jobs and qualifications down here were only offering $65-75,000 W2. And you said what I always say, it is what it is. If I get tired of it I'll go to Atlanta.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm in a CCIE R&S boot camp right now.

    The gentleman sitting next to me was offered a 100K network admin job. He only has CCNA, some CompTIAs, a bachelors and 10+ years of experience. I think the ace in the hole is he's bilingual.

    I live in Tampa and the DoD contractors here make it seem like the pay here isn't too great. Not the same for the GS side of the house. I hear Miami is much worse.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    The IT Helpdesk for Assurant is usually hiring down that way, and they hire just about anyone who is a half decent candidate. As long as you don't bomb the interview, I'd put your resume on their website, and call around to some staffing agencies and ask if they work with Assurant - most of the new hires that come in start out as contractors but Im not sure which agency the Miami location uses.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    There are plenty of positions available in the Florida market, but unfortunately there are even more applicants. In today's market you must have a resume that presents you a step above the hundreds of other candidate entries that they have received.

    I have colleagues in both Central and South Florida that are currently hiring in the 80-100k+ range and are having a difficult time finding qualified individuals. Just having a certification or listing a skill is not enough if you can't speak to it at the level they are looking for. Now if the position is an entry level job and they are asking expert questions... that's a different story!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am in the Ft lauderdale area, sunrise and i just started looking work (just migrated ) I have only what you have seen in the way of certs. I am also finding it hard to get interviews but i have one coming up on saturday for a network admin position. Also just got called for a Jr network engineer position but i didnt think i could manage the commute all the way to boca raton (no car) I am hoping my calls will pick up but if what you say is that bad i may have to look into relocating
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in Sunrise too but you'll be severely limited in options without being able to commute. :/
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I lived in Tampa for 20 years. I finally left for Dallas. Average here for IT work is 90+. I get calls all the time for jobs back in Florida and I tell them I would like to come back but they are 30k lower than Dallas. They usually agree and tell me to contact them if I reconsider. Its a flooded market with more applicants than available jobs.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    tjh87tjh87 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I finally left for Dallas. Average here for IT work is 90+.

    I second this...to an extent. I wouldn't necessarily say the OVERALL average is 90+. But many of the mid-level and above jobs are definitely seeing numbers close to this.
    Its a flooded market with more applicants than available jobs.

    This is definitely true.

    Edit: I read that second quote wrong. I originally thought you meant the opposite and were talking about the Dallas area. Here, there are more jobs available than qualified applicants. From what I am seeing, the job market here for IT certainly favors the job seeker.
    2013 Goals: /COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd CCNP, [ ] CCDA, [ ] VCA-DCV
    2014 Goals: [ ] CCDP, [ ] CCNA Security
    , [ ] CCNP Security
    2015 Goals: [ ] Finish BS in CIS,
    [ ] CCIE R&S Written
    2016 Goals:
    [ ] CCIE R&S
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    For Dallas, they are hungry for VMware guys. I see things come across my email and phone everyday. As much as I miss my home back in Florida, sometimes you have to go where the work is. I just fly back every couple of months and work remotely.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I been trying to land a basic IT position with my A+. I know it does weight too much but I cant get at least a interview anywhere I apply. Might I have to relocate? any tips? I work at a hospital and had an interview for a IT position and gave it to a outsider. I tried craigslist and dice but very little luck.

    As for tips, keep going after certs. A+ will barely get you in the door. Get Network+, security+, windows desktop exams. Consider going for CCNA. That will help you get to the helpdesk role.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    tecke wrote: »
    Do you have any IT experience?

    That, and more certs plus a degree. In the big cities, experience alone may not be enough, although it will be a factor.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    grave_diggergrave_digger Member Posts: 127
    j23evan wrote: »
    I was looking on dice at jobs, and Miami is the second lowest average paying IT job market, which I found surprising. #1 was Kansas City... =(

    I would assume its because of the over abundance of qualified IT people for fewer jobs so it is more of an employers market.


    crazy! not sure if I mentioned this before but at my hospital we start help desk at 12/hr while I know that University of Miami starts at 15.35/hr. Its a crazy contrast in pay.
    1776 is the answer to 1984!
  • Options
    grave_diggergrave_digger Member Posts: 127
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    The saying down here is that we get paid in sunshine. But yes, Florida does pay a good bit lower for the same jobs as elsewhere. I've been getting hits for jobs out of state paying up to $100k long term contract W2 and the same types of jobs and qualifications down here were only offering $65-75,000 W2. And you said what I always say, it is what it is. If I get tired of it I'll go to Atlanta.

    Damn the money sounds good but I not sure I can switch out Miami for Atlanta! lol
    1776 is the answer to 1984!
  • Options
    grave_diggergrave_digger Member Posts: 127
    ande0255 wrote: »
    The IT Helpdesk for Assurant is usually hiring down that way, and they hire just about anyone who is a half decent candidate. As long as you don't bomb the interview, I'd put your resume on their website, and call around to some staffing agencies and ask if they work with Assurant - most of the new hires that come in start out as contractors but Im not sure which agency the Miami location uses.

    I couldnt find anything. MAybe you can send me the link?
    1776 is the answer to 1984!
  • Options
    juicyjay36juicyjay36 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Northwest FL is difficult too. You either need security clearance and/or years of experience just to get help desk. Very frustrating! I have CompTIA trio (Yes I understand this doesn't go too far) and 7 years experience at an ISP doing tech support and have not got any responses the past few months. In the meantime I have been studying for CCENT until I can "get my foot in".
  • Options
    xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    Miami is really tough, your best bet would be going through a recruiter. I've tried for weeks when I was unemployed to just get an interview somewhere. I found a recruiter and they got me 2 interviews in like 3 days time. Maybe I was lucky but reach out to RobertHalf or KForce, they might be able to help you out too.
  • Options
    roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    While certainly the market (location) your in plays a factor, the major factor are the laws of supply and demand. Right now there is a greater supply of (out-sourced, in-sourced, and local) talent than there are open positions.

    Employers can be very selective these days as there is an over-supply of talent in the market with more coming on-line everyday.

    First and foremost they are looking for the right "fit". If the person interviewing you doesn't think you'll work out in their environment then nothing on your resume will matter. So sometimes it isn't our resume but us in general.

    It certainly was easier to get into the game back in the late 90's and early 2000's. These days you'll have to work at it using all the tricks in the book.

    If you went to university contact some classmates and see where they are at and can they get you in?
    In addition if you went to university contact a professor/instructor or two and see if they know of anything out there?

    You can certainly move to a hotter market but you'll have to do your homework first and see if you really want to live there. No sense in getting a job if you can't stand living in the town your working in. Seen that happen too many times.

    Hang in there man and keep plugging. Nothing worth having will ever come easy.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • Options
    grave_diggergrave_digger Member Posts: 127
    xocity wrote: »
    Miami is really tough, your best bet would be going through a recruiter. I've tried for weeks when I was unemployed to just get an interview somewhere. I found a recruiter and they got me 2 interviews in like 3 days time. Maybe I was lucky but reach out to RobertHalf or KForce, they might be able to help you out too.
    Dude how insane! Kforce called me thursday about fowarding them my resume and what I am seeking to work. I send them my info and said that they will try to get me in with terramark. Also on the same day Robert Half called and gave me a interview for monday! What are these companies about? Are they successful in getting you interviews? Do they help you land a good job with a good environment? What can I expect from these people? I asked alot of question and said am seeking minimum of 13 a hr job.
    1776 is the answer to 1984!
  • Options
    roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have experience with Robert Half, none with KForce but it may be similar. Robert Half is a recruiter/outsourcing company with offices all over the world.

    You work for Robert Half so that's who will take care of you check/benefits and such. You go to work at the client/employers location. It could be a contract, contract-to-hire/temp-to-perm. When they contacted you they should've specified what opening/position it was they were looking to fill.

    To answer your question directly, they can get you a job.

    Congrats on getting called btw. Some movement on the needle is better than none.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • Options
    grave_diggergrave_digger Member Posts: 127
    roch_greg wrote: »
    I have experience with Robert Half, none with KForce but it may be similar. Robert Half is a recruiter/outsourcing company with offices all over the world.

    You work for Robert Half so that's who will take care of you check/benefits and such. You go to work at the client/employers location. It could be a contract, contract-to-hire/temp-to-perm. When they contacted you they should've specified what opening/position it was they were looking to fill.

    To answer your question directly, they can get you a job.

    Congrats on getting called btw. Some movement on the needle is better than none.


    Oh man thank you so much! Just curious hows their pay rate? Does that come down to the job they offer you? whats the time frame they usually get you a job? Also what the catch to Robert Half? I mean if they get me a job do I owe them money?
    1776 is the answer to 1984!
  • Options
    roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No my friend, It's illegal for anyone/company in the US to charge you for getting you a job. The recruiters or staffing firms get paid by the employer, it's part of the contract.

    The pay rate is determine usually by what the market rate is in your neck of the woods, how much the client is willing to pay, and what the staffing firm is charging to put someone there.

    You need to first find out what position your being considered for. From there you can use the Internet to find out how much someone with that title and your experience makes, again in your neck of the woods.

    You should always go into a interview with a firm idea of what your worth.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • Options
    grave_diggergrave_digger Member Posts: 127
    Well i have zero history in IT but I am passionate about it! So any actual IT jobs i get offered would b great! But i personally would b satisfied with 14 bucks starting off
    1776 is the answer to 1984!
  • Options
    wguhelpwguhelp Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1 for experience. I had A+ Net+ Sec+ CCNA and still couldn't find a job with just certs and no experience. Thankfully internships like to take students though.
Sign In or Register to comment.