Options

How to get to 100k by 30?

Comments

• Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    How about 90k in a month? My uncle owns an IT security/Hippa training company and he makes that much.

100k a year? peanuts lol.
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Params7 wrote: »
    How about 90k in a month? My uncle owns an IT security/Hippa training company and he makes that much.

100k a year? peanuts lol.

A BMW 5 series with max options every year?

Yes We Can.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Some employers definitely care, and a history of frequent hopping can be harmful. However, it won't necessarily hurt you overall. Getting the pay raise, new experiences, and new responsibilities can easily make it worth it. I've done well with 1.5-2-year stints, myself.

What people don't get is that if some employers care, it doesn't matter at all. Why? Because it only applies to people who were able to land multiple advancements in a row, the group of people being affected are only those with a string of successes. The way it impacts those people is it lowers the pool of jobs they have a chance of getting at that higher level. However, this is completely irrelevant. You're ability to find jobs and apply for them is unlimited, if you get turned down you can apply somewhere else instead. This notion of job loyalty is outdated, any company will fire you without thought regardless of how long youve been there if they have a strong need to. People who work 15 years at a place are forgotten about 2 weeks after theyre gone. It's all an illusion.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    pert wrote: »
    What people don't get is that if some employers care, it doesn't matter at all. Why? Because it only applies to people who were able to land multiple advancements in a row, the group of people being affected are only those with a string of successes. The way it impacts those people is it lowers the pool of jobs they have a chance of getting at that higher level. However, this is completely irrelevant. You're ability to find jobs and apply for them is unlimited, if you get turned down you can apply somewhere else instead.
    While this may be true in lower level jobs, if you're very specialized and looking to stay in a single area then there may only be 10 companies around that fit the bill. If 4/10 of them are unwilling to hire someone who has job hopped that much then you may be losing out on some really good long-term positions. The fact is that high turnover hurts companies and often times the best places to work are those that encourage their employees to stay within the company and advance.

While I agree that in most cases it's not that big of a deal, to say that it doesn't matter at all isn't true.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's all relative when I hit 100K it really didn't feel any different than 75-80-95.....

You could join the military, get a clearance and hit that amount depending on the area you live in. Then you can find out you might not get anywhere near that amount in the private sector depending on your experience level and skills.

Work environment is a big part of it also. I would take a pay cut for a 10 minute work commute and family friendly benefits like my wife has at the university she works at where she gets 40 hours per year to use for our son's doctor's appointments or sick days so she doesn't have to use her own sick days.

Instead of worrying about hitting a number, focus on figuring out if you can find other jobs making that number if you lose the job that pays six figures.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    Here's how I've done it:
    1. Become an expert in highly sought skill.
    2. Be great at selling yourself. This is in resume and interview.
    3. Switch jobs.

This was how I did it as well.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So I've understand the whole thing about becoming an expert at a highly sought skill but I'm having a hard time deciding what to specialize in. Right now I'm a JOAT type of sysadmin. This is question is very vague and I expect to get only vague answers but how do I figure out what to become an expert in? How exactly did you guys do it? Did you seek it out or did you somehow end up with those duties at work? Or would this be some sort of soul searching quest where I meditate in a Tibetan monastery while training my martial arts fighting spirit?
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    This is question is very vague and I expect to get only vague answers but how do I figure out what to become an expert in? How exactly did you guys do it? Did you seek it out or did you somehow end up with those duties at work? Or would this be some sort of soul searching quest where I meditate in a Tibetan monastery while training my martial arts fighting spirit?

Hard to become an expert in something you dislike.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Quit your job. Sell drugs. You will make 100k this year. It will also be the last year you make 100k.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    pert wrote: »
    People who work 15 years at a place are forgotten about 2 weeks after theyre gone. It's all an illusion.

What a great point! This certainly applied to me.. I put in 16 years and was fully loyal to the company. It got me no where. One day I decided to leave... I was quickly forgotten.

I think it is good to move around and find another job from time to time. Not just for more money, but to improve ones skills. My past employer did not care / want employees to be certified. My new employer does... thanks to this - I'm pushing myself again. Learning again. Growing personally for the better.
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • Options
    wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was obsessed about making loads of money when I was younger, but all I want now is to make enough so I dont need to worry.

The other day I came in at the weekend, got a beer switched on the tv sat back to watch Breaking Bad and realised that was all I needed hah!

But other days I want a Ferrari! Would I be happier? Maybe a little, but Id probably have a more stressful job so its swings and roundabouts!
  • Options
    tier~tier~ Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here's how I've done it:
    1. Become an expert in highly sought skill.
    2. Be great at selling yourself. This is in resume and interview.
    3. Switch jobs.

I think the hardest part of this equation is #2. Selling yourself is a tough thing to do or I find it to be anyway.
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tier~ wrote: »
    I think the hardest part of this equation is #2. Selling yourself is a tough thing to do or I find it to be anyway.

That's true. Although #1 isn't any easier as it's hard to predict what would be a highly sought skill by the time you master it and become an expert...
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    Quit your job. Sell drugs. You will make 100k this year. It will also be the last year you make 100k.

LOL..he might last a few years..but the outcome will probably be the same with him either dead or in jail.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Right now I'm a JOAT type of sysadmin. This is question is very vague and I expect to get only vague answers but how do I figure out what to become an expert in? How exactly did you guys do it? Did you seek it out or did you somehow end up with those duties at work?
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but I think I understand your dilemma. And I assume you are asking in the context of the OP's question on how to get to 100K if you are a JOAT and you don't know what to specialize in.

A few of the posters offered some valuable advice unrelated to IT specialization - for example - as @kenop said "Be outstanding at what you are hired to do". Although - I would vehemently disagree with @kenop's sentiment that you "Never, ever give ALL of your effort"

I don't personally think that you need to force yourself to specialize. If you like what you do - do it - and do it in the best way that you can do it. It's really all about providing value to your employers and contributing to the goals of the organization. If you can demonstrate value to your employer or future employer in a tangible manner, the compensation will come.

Of course, that value must be in a form that has limited supply versus demand. To use a crude example, there is value in having a clean toilets but a toilet cleaner is not likely to make a 100K since the supply of toilet cleaners are high and does not require skilled labour. The reason why many people believe in IT specialization is because there is limited supply which creates higher value.

For myself - I don't believe in specialization. I never have and it's partly based on my own personality. I enjoy and have a passion for technology and many things related to it. So I've worked in many areas and have a very broad experience set. That broadness in itself is considered valuable by many employers and I'm highly compensated for that experience. I never have specialized - instead I gravitate towards what interest me and where I perceived a gap existed at my employers which I felt needed to be filled.

I have worked in roles as varied as software engineering, embedded systems, network infrastructure, operations, training, sales support, legal support, security, software architecture, infrastructure architect, tools engineering, QA, etc. and a combination of all of them.

If you are a JOAT - do not despair - as long as you are focused, continue to persevere, and with a little luck - those opportunities will come.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tier~ wrote: »

Selling yourself at interviews is easy. When the interviewer ask basic questions, don't give the basic answers. You should give a detailed in depth answers.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Selling yourself at interviews is easy. When the interviewer ask basic questions, don't give the basic answers. You should give a detailed in depth answers.

I agree 100% from someone who's been in the interview process and someone who's given interviews, I can honestly say, showing that you understand the product in depth, really makes you stand out.. most IT people, in interviews have a hard time giving detailed explanations or in depth answers, no matter how clear the questions are.
  • Options
    Exactly.

Even if you're not knowledgeable enough about a certain subject to give an in depth answer you can still explain what parts you do know and how you would go about logically finding the correct answer. In a production environment leaving a problem at "I don't know", as many tend to during interviews, is completely unacceptable. This during an interview can be the difference in perception of you being someone who gives up easily vs. you're someone who is willing and able to learn what it takes to do the job.
  • Options
    icebeamicebeam Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    I don't personally think that you need to force yourself to specialize. If you like what you do - do it - and do it in the best way that you can do it. It's really all about providing value to your employers and contributing to the goals of the organization. If you can demonstrate value to your employer or future employer in a tangible manner, the compensation will come.

I'm glad to see the above can be the case. I find myself to be the IT guy that never says "no". For example we hired two QA testers that knew nothing about automation and I took it upon myself to learn "QTP" and teach them how to use it. I have a wide range of skills from developing in many languages to network design and I'm becoming a real expert in AWS. basicly, I like any task that involves a keyboard :).

The reason why I started this thread is because I don't know how to market this large skill set and I don't know if I should stay another year at my current job and hope for another pay bump. They have treated me well here. a raise from 39-50k in 6 months and a year later 50-60k and I don't see any reason why they would not do 60-70k in another year but I feel like I could make the jump now to another company and get 70-75k but I like my current job but I also want to reach my goal. I have a very good relationship with my boss and part of me feels like telling him my goal and asking could I do that here. However I don't know the professionalism on that icon_cool.gif

I really thank-you guys for all the information you have been posting here as I'm learning a lot. And for the some of you that said who cares about 100k... I do icon_wink.gif. I already hit 100k just barely when I add in my wife who just got out of school as a software engineer making 40k but this was always a personal goal for myself.

P.S some of you have made great point about shooting for how much you need to be happy and when I have done the VERY detailed math it's 150k which should not be hard between two people. It's enough to have a nice 300-400k house two nice cars and plenty of money to save (401k, Roth IRA etc) and eat out plus one vationan a year. Will I drive a ferrari 458 no icon_sad.gif (because I want to retire) but will I drive a nice 3-5 year old (because I can't stomach depreciation) S class... hell yea :D
  • Options
    @icebeam - it sounds like you are well on your way to your goal. I'm personally a big fan of setting singular and simple goals. Your own goal has all those attributes - a timeframe and a quantifiable measure.

Your description of your current situation at your employer seems ideal. You are valued (i.e. you got raises), you saw a gap and filled it (learning QTP), and you like the environment. These are all recipes for a great start. That's not to say that there will eventually be some plateau in your career at your current employer where you may need to move on. But as long as you share your goals with your management and they are respectful of your aspirations, there is no reason to move on. You don't necessarily need to tell your manager that your goal is 100K by 30. But you can infer during your meetings with your manager that you want to be a valuable part of the organization and ask your manager what is the organization's metric to continue on the growth path that you are already on.

Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I was 26, I was making $11/hr as a security guard. I turned 30 earlier this year and I have a six figure salary.

Become a SME in everything you can, especially relevant things that your peers are less familiar with. Be flexible and be willing to change your 5 year plan when a new opportunity presents itself. Get your degree. You may have the experience and the knowledge but many times, you can't move forward without specific educational requirements. Don't be afraid to change companies.

My story:

While I was a security guard, I earned my first Microsoft certification. It was *cough* *cough* for Vista... I was going to a community college to get my associates in network security. After countless rejected IT job applications, I was finally contacted by a recruiter who setup an interview for an entry level QA position for a software company. I was hired during the interview at $16/hr, a nice jump in pay from my security guard job.

Within six months of working in QA, I familiarized myself with a software solution that my fellow QA peers knew very little about. I became the "go-to" person in QA regarding this product. Soon after, my boss asked me if I would be willing to support this product full time at our customers office on the other side of the country. He offered to double my pay and cover all moving expenses if I could be there within 2 months. After sleeping on it, I decided to accept the offer. I had to withdraw from my associates during my last semester. Fortunately, everything transferred into WGU.

Fast forward another year, the customer that I was working for offers me a permanent job. Now, I have my dream job. I get paid to hack :)
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Doesn't this look bad to potential employers when you switch jobs often?

If you are working to reach a goal no. What you do is put contractor on the position even if it is a full time job. That way when the ask you why you are looking all you have to say is the Job was a contract job.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ...And then when they call your former employer, who tells them you were an employee, not a contractor, you don't get the job.

Lying about past jobs is generally unwise.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    100K, 200K... it's all relative. I make well over 100 and my wife is almost there and we still don't 'make it rain' everyday. The more you make, the more you tend to spend.

It probably doesn't help that you live in the "DC Suburbs" either :-/.
  • Options
    kenopkenop Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NovaHax wrote: »
    It probably doesn't help that you live in the "DC Suburbs" either :-/.

Totally true, sadly. Hello Loudoun County.

Deep six figures here and while I'm doing okay, I don't consider myself wealthy in the least.
    BVC1 CTV1 CUV1 CWV1 DEV1 DHV1 DIV1 WFV1 TBP1 EAV1 EBV1 EUP1 EUC1 CRV1 BOV1 DJV1 EUC1 CVV1 CJV1 TPV1 TXC1 TXP1 TYC1 TYP1 CAPSTONE BNC1 AGC1 CDC1 CDP1 UBC1 UBT1 CLC1 GAC1 IWC1 IWT1 RIT1 CIC1 CJC1 TCP1 TJC1 TJP1
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    ...And then when they call your former employer, who tells them you were an employee, not a contractor, you don't get the job.

Lying about past jobs is generally unwise.

Do what works for you... You can be a contractor and still be in their system as a full time employee... All they want to know is that you actually working where you say you are working and the date's you work there... I have friends that work in HR. plus they don't call the place you are working just in case you don't jet the job for what ever reason... They call your past job...
  • Options
    nestech wrote: »
    Do what works for you... You can be a contractor and still be in their system as a full time employee... All they want to know is that you actually working where you say you are working and the date's you work there... I have friends that work in HR. plus they don't call the place you are working just in case you don't jet the job for what ever reason... They call your past job...
    Being deceitful is no way to start a new job. Your friends in HR are not an accurate representation of all of HR as a whole. Many employers require verification with your current/previous positions.

If someone specifically told me they left a job because their contract was up and I found out it was for other reasons they would be likely get their offer revoked. I don't want someone that I can't trust working under me plain and simple.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kenop wrote: »
    Totally true, sadly. Hello Loudoun County.

Deep six figures here and while I'm doing okay, I don't consider myself wealthy in the least.

Small world, I too am in Loudoun County.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Being deceitful is no way to start a new job. Your friends in HR are not an accurate representation of all of HR as a whole. Many employers require verification with your current/previous positions.

If someone specifically told me they left a job because their contract was up and I found out it was for other reasons they would be likely get their offer revoked. I don't want someone that I can't trust working under me plain and simple.

For what I do there are lots of job out there with not enough qualify people to do the work... Take this as an example. The company I work for had security position that have posted for more then six months. I have interviewed a few candidate that was not a good fit. After six month the person that we made the offer to has know security experience he was a network Administrator. Call it what you want. Everyone have told a few lies in their career...
  • Options
    nestech wrote: »
    Everyone have told a few lies in their career...
    Don't include me in that statement. With over 25 years in IT, I've never had to lie about my career.