Options

Value of CCNA in market

2»

Comments

• Options
    new2netnew2net Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Was reading thought this thread from a while back...

Is this what the CCNA is still viewed as (an easy 1 week cert)?

I have been working toward it and completed most of the studies, however I don't think it could have been done in a week.

It seems that getting a CCNA now has become much harder. Has it gained recognition? I don't work in the IT field right now, so I'm not quite sure how it is viewed.
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    new2net wrote: »
    Was reading thought this thread from a while back...

Is this what the CCNA is still viewed as (an easy 1 week cert)?

I have been working toward it and completed most of the studies, however I don't think it could have been done in a week.

It seems that getting a CCNA now has become much harder. Has it gained recognition? I don't work in the IT field right now, so I'm not quite sure how it is viewed.

Certs are keywords on a resume. When I’m sifting through 100+ resumes – you have a much better chance of making it through “round 1” if you have the right keywords on your resume.

Stack of resumes…

Highlighter…

Big yellow pages on the top of the stack, and working down until I find a few good ones. :)

CCNA looks good to someone with a Cisco gear – assuming the hiring manager is somewhat knowledgeable. I can tell you it’s the end all, but if the person doing the hiring doesn’t know what it is… well… :)

I say get it, get as many certs as you can if you enjoy IT. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
    2005, this is old enough... I'm too sad when I see an IT who doesn't value wat he was passing through, sadly there are many right now.... 1 week?! Be it, I hear alot who mention this 1 and 2 weeks, showing off, try to act as genuis, or try to frustrate others... Watever is the motivation, I don't believe this! And if does exist, this is the biggest reason that IT will be a disrespected filed in near futur, when some of those will bring the SHAME to all of us, when they will be asked and can't answer even the most basics, or can't fill their positions, or even screw up a whole network to it's knees!

I personally advise anybody thinking this way to try seeking another filed and work, this field is not for u dude! Naive enough, this field is not something u read, memorize (brain ****) and then put on papers and end of story... A well versed Pilot's position whom a company will entrust on the souls of passengers is not more critical in position than an IT for those who understand... According to this 1 week, then I can drive a Boeing 777 300ER with only reading a book and flying about 5 hours, insane?! I doubt that this dude can defferentiate between a Transistor and a Capacitor! Or even know who runs the other, does the software exists to run hardware or the hardware exists to run software?

I do remember the times when I started the Network+ and every line in a book I was dreaming with just to put points over each other and interlink them, and why this exist and y this not... And when I start reading basics hardware, and found out that a processor can't access the memory directly or any other piece of hardware but through the MCH, I never knew this before, and I said to myself there is some kind of flow in the design, the Memory Controller should be stick in the Processor, and this MCH should be gone forever, it's a bottelneck, it's too old, and using a Bus Topology, a point to point can be implented now, esp for the growing need of robust computers.... Then a few months passed, I saw the I7CORE, Intel's New Implementation, which copied my same thoughts Exactly... After that I knew that AMD and MIPS and other Processor's vendors made it before Intel, but the point is that while I'm studying I thought of it and it took me much time thinking of it, not just memorizing facts and absorbing things... The point is that ur studying the hardest part in the IT field, Communications! if u ate without chewin well, u get a stomach ache, but in IT, if u learn without chewing well, u become IDIOT AND OBSOLETE!!! Take it from me, and don't feel bad...
  • Options
    NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    Let's see, go and do a search for entry level networking jobs (even admin jobs based on MS) and CCNA is required or desirable more often than not.

1 week? No chance. If you are inexperienced with networking in general and CCNA like I was when I started studying for it, it is a difficult cert. The exams include sims now and are written to test your knowledge, not how good you are at memorizing factual snipets.

The time it takes you depends what you do for work, how much time in the evnings you can study, how much knowledge you already have etc. Don't worry about how long it takes others because everyone's situation is different. I started CCENT at the start of the year but due to working full time and having a life it took me 3 months to prepare and take the exam. I took a few months off and am back doing ICND2 now and taking the exam in roughly 4 weeks.

I like to study the curriculum properly too, CCNA is worth something if you actually learn for the sake of learning, not just for the sake of passing. If you do that it will also take longer, but that is a good thing.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Neeko wrote: »
    Let's see, go and do a search for entry level networking jobs (even admin jobs based on MS) and CCNA is required or desirable more often than not.

1 week? No chance. If you are inexperienced with networking in general and CCNA like I was when I started studying for it, it is a difficult cert. The exams include sims now and are written to test your knowledge, not how good you are at memorizing factual snipets.

The time it takes you depends what you do for work, how much time in the evnings you can study, how much knowledge you already have etc. Don't worry about how long it takes others because everyone's situation is different. I started CCENT at the start of the year but due to working full time and having a life it took me 3 months to prepare and take the exam. I took a few months off and am back doing ICND2 now and taking the exam in roughly 4 weeks.

I like to study the curriculum properly too, CCNA is worth something if you actually learn for the sake of learning, not just for the sake of passing. If you do that it will also take longer, but that is a good thing.

Yea I don't think there's any way to pass the CCNA in 1 week unless you have quite a bit of experience directly (I mean dead on) related with the CCNA topics or you brain dumped it. I spent 2 months studying on average 5 hours every single day to pass the CCNA. Even then I already had most of the basic CCENT knowledge or theory at least before hand and some of the more advanced topics. It takes a good week or more to get subnetting down every which way by its self lol.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Believe it or not, I've been working on my NA off and on now for 6 years. Had a couple of stabs at the 640-607 and 640-801 exams but failed. The materials I used were not up to date. I put the stuff down until Cisco introduced the 2 exam approach so ordered new books, invested in a simple home lab and managed to pass the 640-821 INTRO exam. I'd joke to people I finally had the "CC" part but needed to pass the "NA" part. Got delayed again until Cisco was going to retire that version of the exam so I crammed and missed on the ICND exam, retook it 3 months later and failed again with an even lower score as I was trying to rush before that exam was retired.

Now, with my valid INTRO exam expiring this summer I picked up yet again all new Cisco Press books and wrote (and passed) the 640-822 ICND1 exam. So at least now I do have a Cisco cert. I'm about halfway through the ICND2 material and will likely write that exam in another 30-40 days.

I take a much more deliberate approach to studying and practicing the material now. I really wanted to solidly learn the fundamentals since everything else builds upon that.

I've worked both the tech and management side of IT. Even the management jobs are requiring PMP, BCP or ITIL certs.

Saw a job posting the other day for an office admin - but they had to be a "certified meeting planner".
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Listen all I been in the field for over 15 years and I can tell you that I been a Microsoft / Linux guy for a few many years. I worked on some routers and switches and the Cisco exam is going to be one of my harder exams. I been studing a little over a month now and feel got subnetting down to a point and cisco IOS and the OSI model down. I am still completing my lab but I think I am going to take the CCNA exam as a whole before Christmas and then CCNP
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    luberguilarteluberguilarte Member Posts: 112
    Kadshah , after I see your post here I always say , well if I finally get into networking or not with my ccna at the end I can say that my certification have great value to me , so heck with the people who say that ccna is ****.