Options

LinkedIn co-op

124»

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Same reason why some people post their whole life publicly on Facebook .. Either they want it, or they just don't know better ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    RaystafarianRaystafarian Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yzT wrote: »
    I've been randomly watching some of you and I don't understand one thing: Why are you making everything publicly available? You are giving out a lot of information that may be used against you. At least I think that work experience, education and profile picture are better off the public profile.

I have several online identities. This particular one can be linked pretty quickly to who I am in the first place, so I try to keep everything with it professional. The more professional linkages I create, the less likely it is that something unprofessional will show up. The idea being that if I create the footprint I want with this one, the less likely it is that it will turn around to bite me. For more personal things, I keep to other screen names.
    Hit me up on LinkedIn - just mention you're from techexams.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been randomly watching some of you and I don't understand one thing: Why are you making everything publicly available? You are giving out a lot of information that may be used against you. At least I think that work experience, education and profile picture are better off the public profile.

I keep many things private. Having an online identity for professional reasons will do more good than harm, I believe.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Same reason why some people post their whole life publicly on Facebook .. Either they want it, or they just don't know better ..

There is a very big difference between having a public professional profile and having public pictures of you puking in the swimming pool from having one too many mai tais. I don't even have a facebook. But I have no objections to having my LinkedIn profile public.
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339

This seems a bit excessive? Any particular reason why you feel that work experience, education and a profile picture could be used against you?

I posted earlier in the forum and pointed out that people are listing some pretty specific information in their work history. Specific OS/Hardware used by company, numbers of equipment owned/used by the company, etc. That kind of thing seems like information you would want to remove as it allows recon for attackers looking to target the company.
  • Options
    mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□

If its private then only your connections can see the profile. I have a custom link and set mine to public. All my certifications on my profile link to the official website to check them and in the description I give the information needed to access them in event the link does not work. I give out my linkedin address when its useful to do so and I don't have to worry about the person I gave the information to ignoring my profile because they cannot see anything and it wants them to sign up to view it.

BTW, my facebook is private and youll never see any personal information from it.
    LinkedIn says my profile is that of an all-star but I wouldn't mind seeing what you guys think: Kris Barton | LinkedIn

How'd you manage to get an all-star? I seem to be stuck at Expert. Could it be Endorsements that push a profile into all star range?
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @mokiaba mine is 'all-star' as well, not sure what the difference is either.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□

I keep mine public, because i dont mind recruiters(corporate or 3rd party) reaching out to me for job opportunities. I use linkedin as another tool in trynig to get a new job. i'm not worried about anything i saw on here because i dont say anything crazy....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    I keep mine public, because i dont mind recruiters(corporate or 3rd party) reaching out to me for job opportunities. I use linkedin as another tool in trynig to get a new job. i'm not worried about anything i saw on here because i dont say anything crazy....

I agree. At least I try not to say anything too crazy or provocative. While the information provided on LinkedIn can be used against you, to a degree, it would also require enough other pieces of information to be really useful. Now, if you happen to be really good, you can get anything on anyone you want, as long as you are willing to pay the price and take the time necessary to do so. The information you provide on LinkedIn isn't going to be so critical that it is the deciding factor in an identity theft case, in my opinion.

Now, having said all of that, I still try to be reasonably cautious in what I put out on the WWW. And that includes Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Blogger, etc. Too many folks just toss any and everything onto the web with little to no filter in place. That is why you read about people being fired for posting things to Facebook.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yet I don't understand why are you doing that. LinkedIn profiles are public to other LinkedIn members, so if someone wants to look at your profile, he can do that, and you'll see the notification about X viewed your profile.

However, putting everything on the public profile is equal to open Google and search "Jane Doe LinkedIn" and view all the information without leaving any trace.

And to whom said that education and work experience isn't relevant on social engineering... ok, if you say so..

About the picture, if you use an ID-type picture, you're giving an attacker a perfect picture to be used on false ID cards.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Nowadays to use almost every service out there, sharing personal information is required. Every business seems to gather it(although IMO a large amount of them don't need it). If someone really wanted that information, he would get it. It just won't be from you.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Yet I don't understand why are you doing that. LinkedIn profiles are public to other LinkedIn members, so if someone wants to look at your profile, he can do that, and you'll see the notification about X viewed your profile.

They typically cannot see much if they are a 3rd connection to you and if its a 4th, the profile will show nothing until you add them when set to private. Having it public for all is a way to allow them to see what you have listed and then make the determination from there if they want to add you to their connections.
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's the point, isn't it? If someone is a 4th degree connection, he doesn't have anything related with you (professionally speaking), so why bother? After all, LinkedIn is for networking with people within your field.
  • Options
    That's the point, isn't it? If someone is a 4th degree connection, he doesn't have anything related with you (professionally speaking), so why bother? After all, LinkedIn is for networking with people within your field.

I've had my own coworkers marked as a 3rd and 4th connection to where I couldn't add them until I used their work email or see the profile until connected. Linkedin does not always work as intended.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□

However, putting everything on the public profile is equal to open Google and search "Jane Doe LinkedIn" and view all the information without leaving any trace.

And to whom said that education and work experience isn't relevant on social engineering... ok, if you say so..

About the picture, if you use an ID-type picture, you're giving an attacker a perfect picture to be used on false ID cards.

paranoid much????

anywho....if you have your profile private, some pplz won't be able to find you at all, or wont be able to see anything on your profile other than your name & location. and it wont matter if they're 2nd, 3rd or no connection at all to you.

do you though, and do what works for you....i'll continue to keep mine public, and not worry about who see's what on my page, since I'm using it to promote myself so i can possible get a new role at a new firm anyways...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just recently took my profile serious, probably a mistake waiting so long...but I will throw mine into the pile. Im a novice at linkedin, I need to spend some time in this thread to get some ideas....

Chris Ray | LinkedIn
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938

Do you want to make a name for yourself in IT or hide in the shadows? LinkedIn is about networking which involves revealing some information about yourself.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »

I am stealing/paraphrasing a portion of your summary, the wording is fantastic.
  • Options
    SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm primarily a lurker on TE, but interested in input! Let me know your thoughts!

Alex Ramos | Linkedin
    LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!
  • Options
    sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi nice profile CarlSaiyed

very well worded, I can say mine could be better
    Yaroslav Trofimov | LinkedIn
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    aderon wrote: »
    Evan Dingman | LinkedIn

Any feedback would be appreciated!

You have your profile locked down, I cant view it.
  • Options
    fivestardayfivestarday Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□

Alex, yours is locked down and we/I cannot view it.

I will throw mine out: Justin Pickering | LinkedIn

Any critiques appreciated.
  • Options
    Hi Justin

Impressive accomplishments,

Can you feedback mine please. Thank you
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    fivestardayfivestarday Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can you feedback mine please. Thank you

1. In your experience section I didn't understand the TECHNICAL EXPERTISE=========PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE section. Which one are trying to highlight?

2. You can probably take out the line: SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR, Touro College, Brooklyn, NY 1998-Present. LinkedIn puts this information right above it.

3. I would put a line underneath:
    HELP DESK / TROUBLESHOOTING: to make it match up to SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION & PC HARDWARE CONFIGURATION.

These 3 suggestions are more to make a clean design on your linkedin profile. Also add a picture. You will get more responses. 16 years at one place is a long time! Get that CCNA and move on up. Best of luck to you.

• Options
    TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The link to my public profile is in my signature. I appreciate any constructive criticism.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am still a rookie when it comes to LinkedIn so the critiques might be useful at this stage.
  • Options
    @Fivestarday I did as you recommended, my picture is there.
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    shawnx715shawnx715 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□