New Job

Comments

• FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Iris!
  • SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    Congrats and good luck on the new gig.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What's wrong with you? I mean, what the heck were you thinking, doubting yourself for a second? Of course you got a big raise and better responsibilities. And it's good to "count your blessings," but IMO you shouldn't think you were "lucky" for your current salary. Your current salary means that the people at the business thought you were worth that much, and realistically, if they thought you were worth that much, you're almost by definition worth even more.

Either way, great job. You've come a long way in a relatively short time.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    Congratulations Iris, good news for sure. Take some time for reflection; where you have been, how you got to where you are, and where you are going. If you do this, you will surely see you have paved the road for success, and now you are reaping the benefits. Excellent work indeed, and you have earned every inch of your way. Be very proud of yourself, you are an inspiration to many of us.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Heh... I guess sometimes I feel a little overwhelmed that I got this lucky. I do not feel like I'm special or better than anyone else but I did prove myself with this job and was extended an awesome offer because I worked so hard as a consultant. That time as a consultant definitely got my pay bumped up because the company was able to "try before they buy." I thought it was going to be a harder sell to jump right into an employee role somewhere else with only 2 years of networking experience so I was trying to have realistic expectations and not have an ego. On top of that, every time I glance through a CCIE thread, I'm reminded of how much I still don't know.

Sound to sound like I'm full of doubt, I'm certainly not. The next role I'm in is actually quite perfect for me and I'm looking forward to it. It's with a HUGE company that's going to open HUGE doors for me down the road when I put it on my resume and they're extremely supportive of certifications and training in a way most companies aren't.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • union122union122 Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great work, Congrads on the new job.. Good Luck
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Congratulations.

But you should start studying for the CCIE right now instead of spending a year on Cisco specific Nexus 7k DC tech that may or may not be relevant down the road :)
    I have a feeling the Nexus 7K will still be relevant for awhile but man... I cannot WAIT to get my hands on a 9K to play with. *giggity*
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Come on, let's deep dive into OSPF and IS-IS together!
    I like OSPF so sure! The closest I want to get into ISIS is Fabricpath :P
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Heh... I guess sometimes I feel a little overwhelmed that I got this lucky. I do not feel like I'm special or better than anyone else but I did prove myself with this job and was extended an awesome offer because I worked so hard as a consultant. That time as a consultant definitely got my pay bumped up because the company was able to "try before they buy." I thought it was going to be a harder sell to jump right into an employee role somewhere else with only 2 years of networking experience so I was trying to have realistic expectations and not have an ego. On top of that, every time I glance through a CCIE thread, I'm reminded of how much I still don't know.

Sound to sound like I'm full of doubt, I'm certainly not. The next role I'm in is actually quite perfect for me and I'm looking forward to it. It's with a HUGE company that's going to open HUGE doors for me down the road when I put it on my resume and they're extremely supportive of certifications and training in a way most companies aren't.

Never doubt yourself. I have that problem and it causes me a lot of issues. I said the same thing when I got my offer today I went "I am a new CCNP with about 3 years experience... And they are literally throwing money at me. Am I really worth this? I mean I must be doing something right". There is always room to grow but it is obvious you are doing something right as am I icon_biggrin.gif

Also TOTALLY gigitty over the 9k. I just got my hands on a pair of 7ks and 5500s and am still drooling.
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's great news! Good luck to you!
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good stuff! and major congrats!

That feeling you have with your current job, I am with you on that, I know exactly how you feel, been there myself. At least at the end of the day, you took control and decided to do something about it.

Best of luck! and hopefully there will be some more threads about your new experience :)
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey!

Super happy for your move, I'm glad it all worked out so well. You're one of the few folks on here that I try to emulate & follow in terms of "Getting it done" and career, education & cert advancement.

If you ever feel like taking a move to the west coast up in WA, my team is always looking for your type. The downside is "it's seattle, rain" but the upside is "we pay enough to retire by 40" if you catch my drift :)

Also, 7k's are fun & relevant - I had my luck on some prototype Nexus 9k's.

'Dem API integration, ACI features (still young) and code ev libraries are hot.
    :twisted:
  • fifrascofifrasco Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm sure it felt like you had so much relief off your shoulders once you did it.

I've always been curious how companies deal with bonus and incentives. Does that come only when projects are done before deadlines?
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, that is great news :)
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    fifrasco wrote: »
    Congrats! I'm sure it felt like you had so much relief off your shoulders once you did it.

I've always been curious how companies deal with bonus and incentives. Does that come only when projects are done before deadlines?

When I worked at a MSP the more money I made them the bigger bonus I got at the end of the year.

Now that I am a cost (work at a corporation) my bonus is based on my performance and how much money I can save them per year.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Awesome story...congrats on the move! Anyone who feels stuck in their current position should stop and learn something here. We are all in control of our own life/career/desitiny/etc. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll escape your current situation.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Congrats! Wish you the best
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
    fifrasco wrote: »

At my current job that I'm leaving, it's based on overall performance and aptitude. It's decided by the higher ups. I got my full bonus last year but because I had transitioned from a consultant to a FTE in the middle of the year, it was the full bonus based on the total I made for half the year.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,081 Admin
    So how will this impact your Goon status at DEFCON? You're still gonna be smacking people in the head with their own whiskey bottles aren't you, or has that bridge been burned?
    LoL. Well.... My former boss quit but we're both still friends. He and I are taking this year off of Defcon but I imagine I'll be back next year. Not sure if I am allowed to be goon though given the new company I'm going to. It might create some issues if one of their employees was spotted being a goon.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,081 Admin
    Well, good luck to you always. Make sure to sock some of the new income away for retirement.

And no fair not putting your employer's name on your LinkedIn page! Now I'm really curious!
    Sent you a PM of where I'm going. :)

I won't be updating my Linkedin for a little while
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and all the best for your new job
  • jeffgibbsjeffgibbs Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey big Texas Congrats from a Californian lost in Texas....
  • joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    speaking of which, may I connect with you on linked in ?
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
    Go ahead. I pretty much add anyone :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • LostpacketLostpacket Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the great new job.

Hard work pays off and you've earned it.

Nice work!
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats, it sounds like a lot of things are lining up for you.

Hope you don't mind that I sent you a connection invite on linkin.