New Job

13»

Comments

• SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    At my current job that I'm leaving, it's based on overall performance and aptitude. It's decided by the higher ups. I got my full bonus last year but because I had transitioned from a consultant to a FTE in the middle of the year, it was the full bonus based on the total I made for half the year.

I'm just curious, how does one get consulting jobs? Is it from a recruiter, specific job sites or through word of mouth? On your consulting gigs, did they include medical/dental and was it a typical 9-5? What's a typical consulting job setup and terms like?
  • CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    Congratulations. You and others on here are my online IT role models! :D
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Sounds like an excellent opportunity.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    SixtyCycle wrote: »
    I'm just curious, how does one get consulting jobs? Is it from a recruiter, specific job sites or through word of mouth? On your consulting gigs, did they include medical/dental and was it a typical 9-5? What's a typical consulting job setup and terms like?

Consulting I can say there is no 9 - 5 unless you are in a NOC role at a consulting company.
    Some days will be 9 - 5, some days will be much much longer.

As for how to get in, If you are looking to do networking go to Cisco's partner website and just search to see who is in the area. Look if they are hiring and if not apply anyway. Other times they do put in requests with recruiters as I have been contacted with them before.

Now there is consulting and consultant.
    Consulting I worked for a company that did consulting. Had medical/dental/ all of it

Consultant(contractor) I was working on a contract and received horrible benefits and no paid time off.

The job varies company to company.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod

When I was using Onforce, it was more random and so were the hours. It wasn't very good pay but then again, support jobs aren't usually. When I originally started as a consultant at my current job, it was through a recruiter. It was 8-5 on average but I often worked overtime and change orders after hours. The crappy parts about working a consultant were a) no taxes taken out of your check so you get a BIG tax bill at the end of the year, b) no overtime - you are billed hourly the same rate whether you work 40 or 100 hours a week, c) no insurance - buy it yourself and d) zero job security
    The pros of working as a consultant are that you get paid a lot more on average. I was starting off in networking with a six figure job ($50/hr as a consultant) and there was no WAY I could have started off that high anywhere else. I interviewed for similar positions as an FTE and I was being offered $70K at MOST. Some of the other people who worked as consultants were getting paid even more. One guy was making three times what I was making and another guy was making $75/hr plus having his hotel paid for during the week when he was at work. It all depends on the consultant job
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I was using Onforce, it was more random and so were the hours. It wasn't very good pay but then again, support jobs aren't usually. When I originally started as a consultant at my current job, it was through a recruiter. It was 8-5 on average but I often worked overtime and change orders after hours. The crappy parts about working a consultant were a) no taxes taken out of your check so you get a BIG tax bill at the end of the year

I'm a consultant and I run payroll for myself once a month. All taxes are taken care of when I run payroll. Also you can make quarterly estimated tax payments so you don't have a big tax bill when you file your taxes - Federal and state. Always good to pay as you go; or you may incur penalties and interest for delinquent tax payments.
  • joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    @pramin

just curious, but how do you do that?
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats awesome to hear Congrats! Onwards and Upwards icon_thumright.gif
    @pramin

just curious, but how do you do that?

I have my own corp. I'm an employee of the corp. You can use a payroll service such as ADP or Paychex. I use ADP. I call in my payroll once a month. They handle payroll. Take money from my corp check acct and direct deposit the net check into personal check acct. ADP pays all taxes. I pay monthly fee to ADP. They issue me a W2 at the end of the year. This is easiest and seamless.

My bank institution also offers payroll service but I have to do more stuff on my own.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the new job and the bump in pay.
    pramin wrote: »
    I have my own corp. I'm an employee of the corp. You can use a payroll service such as ADP or Paychex. I use ADP. I call in my payroll once a month. They handle payroll. Take money from my corp check acct and direct deposit the net check into personal check acct. ADP pays all taxes. I pay monthly fee to ADP. They issue me a W2 at the end of the year. This is easiest and seamless.

My bank institution also offers payroll service but I have to do more stuff on my own.

Don't you have to pay taxes for that corp? What about the cost of having a corp compared to an LLC? Where do you deduct the business expenses, the W2 or the corp?
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new job! Are they offering any educational support?
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
    Don't you have to pay taxes for that corp? What about the cost of having a corp compared to an LLC? Where do you deduct the business expenses, the W2 or the corp?

I have an S corp. Net income/loss for corporation flows down to personal taxes. Corporation gets paid X amount. Y amount is wages. Z amount is expenses. The expenses are deducted from my gross income on my corp tax return - the benefit of being incorporated :). I do pay corporation wage taxes based on what I claim for my wages (Y).

I fund my own retirement. Until this year I was doing SEP-IRA. There is another retirement option called solo 401K that I'm considering. It allows you to fund the 401K as both an employee and an employer.

I have never compared S corp vs LLC.
    These are very useful info for those looking to go into consulting down the road. Thanks to those who shared.
  • SfostSfost Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Excellent news- well done!
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the new job Iris. The detail and honesty in your posts is quite inspiring..... icon_thumright.gif