Man for the life of me I can't leave a FTE position for a contract even 1 year

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,754 ■■■■■■■■■■
Anyone else struggle with this?

There is ~12,000 more to make annual and the place is a gold mine, but it's contract right to hire and with kids and all this vacation time it's tough to leave. In my previous life I would of jumped in a heart beat but now with 3 kids and a wife who is staying at home for another 2 months until she resumes work (She makes as much as me when working) it's tough to even consider, even with that much more pay.

Thoughts on leaving FTE for contract work?

If possible I would like to read some experiences.

Comments

• LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Too risky IMO.

I'm sure the reality is that if you do a great job they will hire you, but with bills, kids and a family why would you risk it? Maybe after a year they are going to hire you buy then the hiring manager quits, or there is a recession?

I've been approached by a lot of recruiters wanting offer contract to hire positions. I always tell them it's not worth the risk. If i didn't have bills and a family it would be a great opportunity to maybe move up and try something new, but once established and in a FTE position it's not worth it IMO.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What are you doing now and what are the benefits you get from your current role minus the vacation time??

Currently I am working a contract job that ends soon, but it depends on if the contract work has benefits, will your wifes job have benefits when she goes back to work in 2 months? also if she makes as much as you when working then I would take the Contract if you feel you will grow and benefit from the increase in money.
    Will your responsibilities change? Are you going to deal with different technology or learn anything new? Also what are the benefits that you have NOW compared to the benefits from the contract (if any). In the end you have to talk with your wife about this.... we can only offer suggestions but since you have a family its best to make sure you and your wife talk about it before you make a decision.

What are the Pros that your current job has VS the Pros of the contract.... the only pros so far is more money, and its a gold mine.

Does the contract job have benefits? if so what are they?
    Does the contract job say its good for a year? If so will it be up for renewal?
    Does your current job meet your financial needs?
    Does your current job have benefits?
    Does your wives job have benefits?
    If your wife goes back to work do you really want to take the contract job?

Most of all... above everything else....

What does your wife think?

What I have learned in life... to make a decision one must first weigh the pros and the cons. If the pros outweigh the cons.... then you can decide on a option.... if the cons outweigh the pros then you can stay where you are.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Your situation should always dictate the amount of risk you are willing to take to make more money. I don't think the risk is very high in your case since its contract to hire. However, there are some things to consider: your wife's feelings/thoughts, are the benefits better or worse at the next place, will your current employer pay out your vacation hours to you?, and are you hurting for money?

If your benefits cost more at the next place of employment you may only end up with a fraction of that 12k, not to mention the increase of taxes. I jumped 25k/year from my last position and only ended up making an extra $1,200 a month after taxes, resulting in only in a 14k/year increase. I thought I would be making a ton more, but the higher you go, the more they take out of your paycheck. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Contracts were meant for childless people.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,754 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Really do appreciate the input, I'll have to review and weight my options. Great points from all who replied, thanks!
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Remedymp wrote: »
    Contracts were meant for childless people.

Perfect. With children and a wife whose benefit situation is blurry at best. Keep the benefits and paid vacation until such a time you can take a larger risk. This is a penny wise, dollar foolish risk from a HR/benefit perspective.

Contract to Hire or CTH still means: "no workee - no payee". So, for some reason you needed to take a couple of unexpected days off because someone in your family is, God forbid, hospitalized or sick or whatever, would have enough of a financial cushion now to comfortably get by for a few days? A few months?

When your wife has better benefits than you, as you can't double health benefits anyway, it may make sense to take a contract or CTH. I will warn you though some people fall in love with contracting as it may become habit forming learning new TPP everyday. Others prefer to sit in the same cubical for years. Contracting is generally high risk - high reward.

Emphasis on risk.

- b/eads
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Usually contract money is seriously higher than FTE money for senior level folks. Depending on a contract length it could be 1.3-2 times higher than this same position pays as FTE. Also, when you get hired they usually offer you less than you've made on a contract on the same position. Considering this I'd pass, 12k/year bump for FTE->contract is too low.

I left FTE in the past for a 6-month contract position that was extended twice, but my salary almost doubled, I went from ~80k base no bonuses ~15k worth of benefits for ~155k/year (provided that the contract lasts as much) with shitty benefits worth of ~6k/year, no bonuses. If they offered me an FTE position they'd pay me less than I make with them as a contractor, I'd estimate it to be 120-130k plus bennies. I have a stay at home wife and two kids, so risks are pretty high.

Also, consider if the market is hot for your skillset. If so you'll be able to land a job quickly if your contract doesn't get prolonged. I personally didn't bother much as I'm both okay to move and my skillset is in high demand.

Also, consider if you are willing to move and how many jobs your area has. If you aren't and the area is so-so -- don't leave FTE unless the offer is FTE as well or at least pays twice higher so you can spend half a year looking for a job.
    I've been weighing my options and it looks like the FTE is the way to go. I've been here nearly 2 years already and it feels good, my reputation is high and my precieved value is equally as high. The pay is light relative to the contracts, but to be honest I don't have the IT skills like most on here. I'm strictly database, reporting, some BI with the new SSAS tool set and visual studio and that's about it.

You high level architect and engineers have more leverage and a much high earning power than a master data guy....

All great information, this will be coming home with me tonight when I talk to my wife. In fact I'll use it as a reference. Thanks!
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would never leave an FTE for a contract. I have been in some of those contract to hire roles and it doesn't always pan out. For instance the company downsizes during your time as a contractor, they cut budget, reorganize and so one. Too many factors in todays market to risk a stable job for uncertainty. Look for another FTE position. If you are in the Dallas area I know of some new NOC positions that came online and are full time positions perm with the company.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I look at contract-to-hire and straight contract as different things. If it's up to 3 months contract to hire, more of a try before you buy, that's not the same as a year+ long contract where you might never get hired. Seems more and more companies are doing contract to hire, it's annoying.

As the others mentioned, it all depends on your risk tolerance, how badly you need benefits, etc. My wife is career changing and her hours are going to an "as needed" type of schedule, so she can pick and choose when she works, there is plenty of work to pick from but she'll be paid hourly. She'll rely on my benefits and isn't concerned. If I tried to switch to that schedule and she was unemployed it would be another story entirely.
    Honestly if your spouse works.... then talk with her about it and see what she thinks. If it is just YOU working and your spouse does not work, then stick with the FTE and avoid the contract.
    It is good when you have a spouse that works... it gives you an extra buffer to wiggle around with. Me personally my SO doesn't work... so it is all on me to bring in the money.
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Too risky. Stay put.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    Wait till your wife goes back to work and so you can switch over to her health insurance before going into consulting. Another thing, 12K increase is not worth it to go from FTE to consulting.
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    not for 12k. not worth the risk
  • sschwietermansschwieterman Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dhay13 wrote: »
    not for 12k. not worth the risk

Not to hijack the thread but...

I am in a similar situation. Wife and kid with another on the way. Have a pretty nice sized emergency fund saved for a rainy day. Have an opportunity to change from 'IT Technician' (FTE, $40k) to 'Network Engineer' (Contract-to-hire, $60k).

Does this change any opinions? I feel like this could be a great opportunity to move forward in my career.

I am in a similar situation. Wife and kid with another on the way. Have a pretty nice sized emergency fund saved for a rainy day. Have an opportunity to change from 'IT Technician' (FTE, $40k) to 'Network Engineer' (Contract-to-hire, $60k).

Does this change any opinions? I feel like this could be a great opportunity to move forward in my career.

In my experiences Contract to hire jobs are better than Contract jobs. Contract to hire gigs allow for a probation period so to speak... you work for the contractor for 3-6 months then get hired on by the company as a FTE.
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□

I have been in this situation and it doesn't change my opinion. Especially with a kiddo on the way. Benefits and stability are more important. Plus the move to contract may set you back in your career if it never goes perm. You could end up in a worse situation. I know I had it happen. Stay perm and continue to compete for perm jobs. Here is what I would do find out what company the job the contract is going to be at if you have not interviewed. This may take some prodding. Once you get the company name tell the recruiter you will think on it. Then call the next day and say you are not interested. Then go straight to the companies internal hiring recruiter, usually found on Linkedin :) and hit them up and tell them he heard they have a job open that you interested in. I have done it and it does work and work well. Never mention the recruiting firm, most tech jobs are listed as bounty jobs or listed with a bunch of recruiters. Now go get a perm job with your dream company.
    I have been in this situation and it doesn't change my opinion. Especially with a kiddo on the way. Benefits and stability are more important. Plus the move to contract may set you back in your career if it never goes perm. You could end up in a worse situation. I know I had it happen. Stay perm and continue to compete for perm jobs. Here is what I would do find out what company the job the contract is going to be at if you have not interviewed. This may take some prodding. Once you get the company name tell the recruiter you will think on it. Then call the next day and say you are not interested. Then go straight to the companies internal hiring recruiter, usually found on Linkedin :) and hit them up and tell them he heard they have a job open that you interested in. I have done it and it does work and work well. Never mention the recruiting firm, most tech jobs are listed as bounty jobs or listed with a bunch of recruiters. Now go get a perm job with your dream company.

Im going to do this as well.... im in the market right now (contract is about to end) and I want a Perm job.... not another contract.
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□

If a recruiter sends you a job description, you can usually just google a few sentences from there and find the original ad.
  • sschwietermansschwieterman Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□

The recruiter gave me the name of the company, and thank you for the advice but... This seems like a good way to burn some bridges. Not that I particularly care about the recruiting company, but seems like I would look untrustworthy to the employer as well.
    The recruiter gave me the name of the company, and thank you for the advice but... This seems like a good way to burn some bridges. Not that I particularly care about the recruiting company, but seems like I would look untrustworthy to the employer as well.

But if you don't tell the recruiter that you applied directly with the company how will the recruiter know? The Employer only wants to know 3 things

1. How you heard of them and the job opportunity
    2. What you know about the company (sometimes they do not even ask that)
    3. Can you sell yourself to the company.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would never leave a permanent job for a contract job, no matter how much money they are paying, because you're there one day and gone the next.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wife and kids? Stick with FTE for sure.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As much as stability is important... my longest job, nearly 5 years, was a contract job (now I was W-2 for the company I worked for with full benefits). And there are people that bounce from non-contract job to non-contract job all of the time. I could see someone being just fine. It all depends on your work patterns and risk tolerance, though.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
    danny069 wrote: »
    I would never leave a permanent job for a contract job, no matter how much money they are paying, because you're there one day and gone the next.

This is a bit of a stretch. No company wants to go thru the process of a background check (10 days bare minimum) to fire a person the next day of hire. It just doesn't work that way. If you're a high value asset, they're trying to vet you as much as possible and utilize you as much as possible because they're paying for it and they need it.

The only way a person would be let go that quickly is if it was critical to the line of business. (lied on your resume about knowing how to code or you're CISSP and lied)
    Contract to Hire or CTH still means: "no workee - no payee". So, for some reason you needed to take a couple of unexpected days off because someone in your family is, God forbid, hospitalized or sick or whatever, would have enough of a financial cushion now to comfortably get by for a few days? A few months?

They're (dept of labor) actually trying to reverse this in several states for this very reason you mentioned. If a resource works 90 days or more, then that resource will be allowed to a certain amount of hours of paid leave. One year would equal 40 hours of paid leave.
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If no wife/kids OK otherwise don't do it ! Lets say the contract or contract to hire is 6 months, 3 months in something changes within the company or they drop whatever your working on. You are gone ! I have witnessed it twice
    Addition to that you have no benefits, no holiday pay, day off means no pay
    Again appreciate all the input. Wife an I decided to stay put. Even though I am foregoing ~12k in pay, the 24 days off and benefits are to hard to overcome especially with a 1 month old baby. The agency said they could extend the vacation days from 6 - 10 but I literally recieved a message saying that they could only go 6 that was final and he was sorry.

The more I deal with this agency it seems like I am dealing with a sleezy salesman. I'm staying 100%. Thanks all.

One thing to mention I work for a fortune 500 and it feels good to be a part of a successful business model. I really like that....
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Again appreciate all the input. Wife an I decided to stay put. Even though I am foregoing ~12k in pay, the 24 days off and benefits are to hard to overcome especially with a 1 month old baby. The agency said they could extend the vacation days from 6 - 10 but I literally recieved a message saying that they could only go 6 that was final and he was sorry.

The more I deal with this agency it seems like I am dealing with a sleezy salesman. I'm staying 100%. Thanks all.

One thing to mention I work for a fortune 500 and it feels good to be a part of a successful business model. I really like that....

Good decision. Wait a yr or so. Recruiters are car salesmen. They will bend you over for a buck and could careless about you. I used them on bothing sides, hiring and that I needed him to get me a job. When I used him to find me guys, he was my best friend, when I needed him to find me a job, it was like, yea I will keep my eye open but got to go, we will do lunch and never heard from him.
  • DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in about the same boat, but I have a high risk tolerance I say if its an opportunity go for it, YOLO!