Options

30 Days to a CCNA

joesmithjoesmith Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

This thread’s purpose is to document my studying habits in my 30 day sprint to a CCNA.

Here, I plan to post the resources and methods I use during my journey, gain insight and advice from the community, keep myself motivated with progress updates and hopefully inspire others on their path to their CCNA.

The plan is to study at LEAST a solid 3 hours daily using the materials listed below (Updates Regularly)

Resources:
-Books
SYBEX CCNA Study Guide by Todd Lammle (The book is 14 chapters, I plan on averaging at least 3 chapters a week.)

If anyone has any tips or support please post a response I am eager to be instructed.

The date I have set for set for testing is February 2nd 2011

Let the adventure begin!!

Comments

• Options
    Day 1, January 03, 2011 23:50 CST USA

Today I went out to Borders and bought Todd Lammle’s book for 21.69! (I had a coupon, and some borders bucks)
    I read the introduction and am nearly finished with the 1st chapter. I took the quiz at the beginning of the book to test the reader’s starting knowledge and missed 6 out of the 33 questions. Although I understand much of the material in the book I need to really KNOW it, I am only using it to refine what I know; my main study will be practice tests and labs.

A friend of mine who has a CCNA said he could get all the Cisco packet tracer labs, and let me use his other Ucertify license that he bought when he was studying, when I get hold of the material I will update the resource list.

I won’t be able to use any live equipment while studying (although I have messed with IOS on routers and switches before) but I do plan on trying to implement some virtual routers, I have heard of Dynanips? But I need to look into the best solution to run virtual IOS, if anyone has recommendations and more information I would appreciate the input, conserving time is one of my main priorities. I do own a 48 port 3550, but using one switch isn’t much good, its currently unused as I upgraded to a layer 3 HP 48 port gigabit switch for my home network, if I can find a way to incorporate the switch I will try, any suggestions?

In case any of you are wondering I have no legitimate IT experience except for a couple of months working as an “A+” tech for a small business earlier this year, that stuff is child’s play compared to Cisco.

All of my knowledge comes from curiosity and self study through various exploits. (I mean that in every sense of the word) :p

Well today I failed to meet my baseline studying goal, I was out running errands so I could clear the rest of my week for studying.
    Thanks for reading, I look forward to your replies and help. I'll post back tomorrow.

-J
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i like this.... I have no real cisco experience either, and this summer I may try a similar experience
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    I thought this thread was about the 31 days before your CCNA Exam by CiscoPress. Which is a pretty great book if you have the extra money.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Why the rush? Take your time and know the material inside and out. I would have been hard pressed to pass the test(s) in 30 days with years of actual experience.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    pitviper wrote: »
    Why the rush? Take your time and know the material inside and out. I would have been hard pressed to pass the test(s) in 30 days with years of actual experience.

If you have no job and not too much in the way of life responsibilities, it can be done...I've been studying two weeks longer than the OP and I will have been studying only 6 weeks when I take the ICND1....well sort of. I did the first half of Cisco Networking Academy in 2004, but I'd forgotten almost everything.

To the OP: Are you taking the ICND1, or the ICND1&2 combined on February 2nd? The combo exam in a month sounds improbable, but I'm rooting for you dude.

Just in case you haven't seen it, check out Free CCNA Workbook it will really help.

Also how are you with binary > decimal, decimal > binary? https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1803 << loads of fun! (in case the link doesn't work google "cisco binary game")
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    ehnde wrote: »
    If you have no job and not too much in the way of life responsibilities, it can be done...I've been studying two weeks longer than the OP and I will have been studying only 6 weeks when I take the ICND1....well sort of. I did the first half of Cisco Networking Academy in 2004, but I'd forgotten almost everything.

To the OP: Are you taking the ICND1, or the ICND1&2 combined on February 2nd? The combo exam in a month sounds improbable, but I'm rooting for you dude.

Just in case you haven't seen it, check out Free CCNA Workbook it will really help.

Also how are you with binary > decimal, decimal > binary? https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1803 << loads of fun! (in case the link doesn't work google "cisco binary game")

i hate when that happen i did my ccna in may 2010 and i already forget a few things especially the theory i am studying ccna security now but still i must re-study some parts of the ccna because next month i will send my cv to cisco partners i am seeking job so they will make me a "exam" so i must be ready
  • Options
    XtendXtend Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm planning to take the ICND1 exam in 1 or 1 and a half months of study also. I believe it's doable since i do not work, finished university last year so i basically will have at least 6-8 hours of study/day. I also believe, that to take the composite exam 640-802 in only 1 month of study w/o prior knowledge is taking it to the limit a bit, but hey, everyone has his own way of study
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    i hate when that happen i did my ccna in may 2010 and i already forget a few things especially the theory i am studying ccna security now but still i must re-study some parts of the ccna because next month i will send my cv to cisco partners i am seeking job so they will make me a "exam" so i must be ready

That's exactly what I'm afraid of....especially if you go through your CCNA studies really quick and don't have a day-to-day job experience to reinforce your new knowledge. This is why I'm going to start working on CCNA:Security immediately after passing ICND2.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I agree with PitViper. What is the point of gaining the certification if you just forget everything you've learned a week or so afterward?

If it were me, and it was at one time, I would take my time and thoroughly learn the material.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    If you have no job and not too much in the way of life responsibilities, it can be done...

Doable, maybe, but probably not advisable. 30 days for the CCNA (with no experience) isn't nearly enough time to A) actually retain enough information (long term) and B) give you enough exposure (and the confidence) to pass a technical interview (assuming that the main goal is employment).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    joesmith wrote: »
    This thread’s purpose is to document my studying habits in my 30 day sprint to a CCNA.

OP's original intent for this thread == THWARTED

icon_wink.gif But in all seriousness......dude, I did exactly what you're doing. I tried to crash study in 31 days using the (albeit incredibly awesome) Cisco press book mentioned before. I have years of experience. I dedicated a LARGE majority of time during those 31 days to studying, above and beyond that day's topic.

I subsequently failed the 640-802. (barely, but still....) Take the advice of someone who's tried that - even if you get the lucky with your questions, its always worth it to take your time and soak it up. Take the same passion and energy you were planning on putting into a month, and stretch it out into at least 6. You will PWN.
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
  • Options
    YahelYahel Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is so much material, lab's and theory... and it makes it impossible to read in that time period... and I just say READ !!! not to learn.
    Also u must consider, things like ACL, SUBNETING, NAT, and the list goes on ....things which u can't get in the first read.

So... even if u read 6 hours a day... u can't make it, unless your final plan is to use ****... if that's so... than u can do ccna in ONE DAY !!!!

Mine point, isn't to discourage you... it's advice, take it easy a make sure to understand all, it will probably take more than a month :)
    CCNA = Passed (01-02-2011)
    NEXT : CCNP ROUTE
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mierdin wrote: »
    OP's original intent for this thread == THWARTED
    I don't know if it's been thwarted, but this thread seems to have turned into a street corner where everyone wants to hang out.

Don't make me say, "Shouldn't you kids be home studying?" icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    I am trying to read the thread, if you say you don't have experience I would follow everyone's advise, I would do practice on physical lab or GNS3, it will make your cramming easier, goodluck!
  • Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmm I think it's possible but you would probably be studying so much everyday that you wont even have time to take a ****/shower or eat xD

Atleast 3hrs/day wont cut it. probably 10hrs/day.

If I were to attempt the CCNA in a month I would probably:

1st week: Read the book. + Compile a list of resources

2nd week: Do some practice exams ( Don't try to memorize answers. Just understand why you got it wrong) Note what areas you're weak at. Read the book again but this time, use a network simulator to follow up on the stuff on the book.

3rd week: Pure subnetting and do additional labs from sources such as the "free ccna lab book"

4th week: Review the book, Do over practice exams (boson etc.)
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Subnetting alone has already soaked up much of my time (several weeks) just to understand and find a method that suits me .... frankly speaking, I can hardly complete ICND 1 in just 30 days, probably that's just me ... icon_study.gif
  • Options
    cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    Goodluck. Its a tough test. A lot of people will say that CCNA is tougher than CCNP test. I know I cant cover the whole CCNA in 30 days.
  • Options
    Day 2 Jan 4, 2011 23:45 CST USA

I have to admit the lack of rousing encouragement was a little off putting when I started to read some of the replies, but then I realized that perhaps I hadn’t adequately explained my experience with cisco devices, and the comments were based on an assumption that I was a complete novice. If that was the case then I would agree with all of you and say it isn’t advisable to attempt to study and pass the CCNA in 30 days an expect it to be of any value, I think that a person who knows nothing about cisco would need at least an EXTENSIVE 4 month studying period that mainly consisted of labs using live equipment, packet tracer, and other virtual IOS software.

When I said
    I have no legitimate IT experience
    I meant that I couldn’t put it on a resume and cite it; I should have been clear what I meant.

While I am not ready to pass the exam at this point, I am not completely without experience. I probably have around 100+ hours on live cisco equipment; I even have had some fun with ADTRAN once. I know that isn’t much but I am basically familiar with most of the technologies covered in the CCNA (except for SDM which I have never used and really don’t want to) I have configured (not extensively) to cite a few RIP, OSPF,EIGRP, NAT, and other ACLS (cisco ACLs in my opinion are a breeze compared to OpenBSD’s PF)

I think the best way to describe my experience level would be a glass that is about 60% full, I need to fill it all the way up if I am to pass.
    Unfortunately I think my glass was fuller last year!

Pitviper: The rush is that I have set a goal that I plan to fulfill, but more importantly I may have a decent job opportunity in the near future if I can affirm that I know networking by getting CCNA certified. The date is not set in stone, if I feel that I am not prepared I will change the date, my main motivation is to get pumped, I am tired of procrastination and I want to tackle this.

Ehnde: I don’t know if you’re indicating that I have no job or responsibilities, or if you do not? To clear it up I have a job I work 6 days a week 9-4, and I suspect I have the same responsibilities as any other adult who has to earn a living.
    Thank you very much for the contribution to my resource list. I have seen the free CCNA workbook and the binary game mentioned before but never looked into them, I had an opportunity to play the game a little over my lunch break, it was fun and got me thinking about binary again, it’s a shame I can’t run it on my phone.
    The suggestion about taking both exams instead of the one seems reasonable; I will take it under advisement and do further research.

Xtend: Good luck with your studying and testing hopefully this thread will provide us both with encouragement

Monkerz: Sound Advice, I won’t proceed to testing unless I feel that I know the material. It would defraud me primarily and future employer secondary if I did not know the material.

Mierdin: The book won’t be my only study resource, if anything it will be one of the minor ones. I am sorry you didn’t pass before, fortunately every failure provides an opportunity for success, the lesson is to just keep calm and carry on.
    Six months is not a feasible time table for me, good luck on your exam, I am sure you will be prepared
    By the way nice avatar I like that show :p

Yahel: I abhor braindumps, they allow the inexperienced to pass. I am making sure all the resources I use pass CertGaurd’s standard

BroadcastStorm: Thanks for pointing me to GNS3, once I get it up and running I will add it to the resource list.

impz: 3 hours a day is just my minimum I hope to average much higher.

Well that seems to address most of the replies, to those that did reply thanks for your input.

Okay now to what I studied today.
    That friend of mine really came through, he was able to provide me with the CBT Nuggets CCNA videos!
    I watched the first 4 videos and I thought it was a good review, what I liked most about it was how charismatic Jeremy is, the way he talks is engaging, I will see if I can get them on my iPod, I think they will be great for review and I plan on listening/watching to them, I won’t be devoting too much time to it though, only using it as a supplement, to reaffirm what I know.

I also got Packet Tracer installed, and was able to do some labs. WOW is that program cool.

Unfortunately I haven’t yet progressed in Todd Lammle’s book; I think I will start carrying it around so I can read during any downtime.

I think I met my goal today of 3 hours studying. Ideally tomorrow will be more productive, I hope to have some virtual IOS up by the end of the week.

Does anyone know how I can practice using SDM? From what I have read it may be touched upon in the exam. Will running GNS3 allow me to use it?

As you can see I am chomping at the “bit”
    I am in the mood for some cisco groove

Don’t worry more bad puns will be forthcoming :D

I know this will be hard and grueling, but I am confident with dedication I can complete my goal or come close to it.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill
  • Options
    Anyway, all the best to your study plan !! :)
  • Options
    athompsonathompson Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm trying something similar to the OP, with the intent of taking the exam on the 17th (don't have many vacation hours saved-- 17th is MLK Holiday and no test centers open on the weekend).

My current training regimen consists of:
    Packet Tracer 5.3
    GNS3
    PrepLogic Audio Lecture
    Todd Lammel's 640-802 Videos
    Train Signal Videos
    Sybex CCNA Study Guide 6th Edition

I listen to the audio lecture when I'm on my way to work and working out. I plan on reading 2-3 chapters a night from the sybex book (currently midway through Chapter 3), and watching videos for a refresher.

I have some Cisco experience and I'm familiar with the CLI and equipment. Oh and i guess I'm shooting for the 17th because I went chasing after the CompTIA trifecta and nailed all 3, 3 weeks apart. CCNA won't be easy, but this ones got me hyped!!
  • Options
    joesmith wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I can practice using SDM? From what I have read it may be touched upon in the exam. Will running GNS3 allow me to use it?
    Yes. Blindhog.net probably has a video -- if not, the GNS3 Documentation page (which points to a lot of Blindhog.net and BrainBump.net web pages/videos) will probably get you pointed in the right direction.

The key with SDM is finding the magic combination of Java Version, IOS, Web Browser, and phase of the Moon.

As for 30 days.... if you're motivated, dedicated, and have a sufficient amount of neurons and time you can spare for studying then it is possible to EARN the CCNA. When you factor in some long weekends, it may average out to way more than 3 hours a day -- but lots of people have done it. Even networking noobs.

The key is taking good notes, lots of hands on lab time, and then lots of review and repetition. The notes (and the Cisco CCNA Reference Sheets) can be used for review after the exam to try and keep your knowledge hot for job interviews.

While someone who doesn't use their CCNA after earning it may lose their edge, someone who's used it to land that elusive "CCNA job" should hopefully get their knowledge and skills tested daily on the job and hopefully won't have to worry about CCNA Knowledge Rot.

Todd's book is GREAT for subnetting -- but Odom's Cisco Press CCNA Certification Library lays the foundation for a Cisco Networking Career. Todd's book would usually only be good as a single source for someone who already has lots of Cisco experience and just needs the refresh of the CCNA highlights.

Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    chopsticks wrote: »
    Subnetting alone has already soaked up much of my time (several weeks) just to understand and find a method that suits me .... frankly speaking, I can hardly complete ICND 1 in just 30 days, probably that's just me ... icon_study.gif

+1 there, I have spent a few weeks now also. lol
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    +1 there, I have spent a few weeks now also. lol

How is it going ? So far so good ? :D
  • Options
    jumezurikejumezurike Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Man if you can send replies to all these pple the way you did. I am 100% sure that you will ace CCNA. As a matter of fact I will try to beat you to it. I WILL hope to work along with you on this. Maybe we both can get it Feb, 2ND. I have studied CCNA on my own for some time now. I have not consolidated my effort to take the exam. I do have a family and a business to run. It could be hard but it is possible to do it in 2weeks even:Only if you can find the pattern of making it happen. You go friend!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Yes. Blindhog.net probably has a video -- if not, the GNS3 Documentation page (which points to a lot of Blindhog.net and BrainBump.net web pages/videos) will probably get you pointed in the right direction.

The key with SDM is finding the magic combination of Java Version, IOS, Web Browser, and phase of the Moon.

As for 30 days.... if you're motivated, dedicated, and have a sufficient amount of neurons and time you can spare for studying then it is possible to EARN the CCNA. When you factor in some long weekends, it may average out to way more than 3 hours a day -- but lots of people have done it. Even networking noobs.

The key is taking good notes, lots of hands on lab time, and then lots of review and repetition. The notes (and the Cisco CCNA Reference Sheets) can be used for review after the exam to try and keep your knowledge hot for job interviews.

While someone who doesn't use their CCNA after earning it may lose their edge, someone who's used it to land that elusive "CCNA job" should hopefully get their knowledge and skills tested daily on the job and hopefully won't have to worry about CCNA Knowledge Rot.

Todd's book is GREAT for subnetting -- but Odom's Cisco Press CCNA Certification Library lays the foundation for a Cisco Networking Career. Todd's book would usually only be good as a single source for someone who already has lots of Cisco experience and just needs the refresh of the CCNA highlights.

Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif

Mike, what is a reasonable amount of time to put into the ICND1/ICND2?
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    seekrit wrote: »
    I thought this thread was about the 31 days before your CCNA Exam by CiscoPress. Which is a pretty great book if you have the extra money.

Me too. I think I'll go buy the book soon. I've been looking at it a few times and I like how it's set up.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    The biggest thing that gets newbies to networking with the CCNA are not the specific topics, but the lack on networking background in general. Lacking networking background makes it take a lot longer to learn all the different topics, as they will simply be harder to understand.

If you have pretty good experience in networking like you indicated in your second post, I don't believe that 30 days is too short to adequately master what you need to for the test. It will obviously require a good amount of effort, but it is very doable.

Good luck staying motivated (my #1 problem with studying)!
  • Options
    Mike, what is a reasonable amount of time to put into the ICND1/ICND2?
    1 month is a rush job and you probably have to say goodbye to any part of your life that isn't work, sleep, or study related -- and your study time may have to cut into your sleep time.

2 months is more comfortable and lets you have a life (and one date night a week) and time to do laundry.

3 months is probably the "sweet spot." You still need to be focused on your studies and motivated, but you're not giving up your life.

4+ months is a slacker pace icon_lol.gif

The more knowledge, skills, and experience you bring to your study desk, the quicker you can go. I probably could have read Todd's Sybex book in a week and passed the CCNA exam -- but I'm still happy I did the Cisco Network Academy courses spread out over 2 semesters.
  • Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    1 month is a rush job and you probably have to say goodbye to any part of your life that isn't work, sleep, or study related -- and your study time may have to cut into your sleep time.

2 months is more comfortable and lets you have a life (and one date night a week) and time to do laundry.

3 months is probably the "sweet spot." You still need to be focused on your studies and motivated, but you're not giving up your life.

4+ months is a slacker pace icon_lol.gif

The more knowledge, skills, and experience you bring to your study desk, the quicker you can go. I probably could have read Todd's Sybex book in a week and passed the CCNA exam -- but I'm still happy I did the Cisco Network Academy courses spread out over 2 semesters.

Having an instructor talking in front of you is priceless. I tend to forget stuff faster when only reading books.

It's why Cbt nuggets is very popular these days because it's less boring to listen Jeremy's videos than reading a book ;) So both togheter is a great value and i do proceed this way for learning stuff.
    Book + Videos + practice + practice.

Netacad is a very good thing and i recommend it! I felt so bad for people in my classroom who just copy/paste questions to google from the Netacad exam and claimed they got over 90% just to pass the course. Well, today these people still have no CCNA ;)

Tom
  • Options
    Day 3 & 4
    I intended to post yesterday evening but I was experiencing difficulties with my connection so I just decided to go to bed and combine both posts, I usually post right before I go to sleep, lately it has been between 12-2 A.M.
    Based on the different forms of studying I have been experimenting with, I have decided to revise my plan and follow the suggestions of impz.
    I will stop doing labs, watching videos, and taking practice tests. I am going to take the next week and finish Todd Lammles’s book.
    The reason for the change in tactics is because I currently feel too stretched across all the different mediums of study, but more importantly because I have already started to put the book on the back burner and neglect it.
    Compared to the other exciting interactive ways of study the book is fairly boring. I think it will be best if I just finish the book in the beginning, then go back and use it for reference when I practice, and watch the videos to reinforce it even more.

Athompson: Best of luck with your exam! It seems like you have a formed a good plan to get certified.
    The preplogic audio sounds like a great way to study. While the CBT Nuggets videos are informative to watch, listening to them isn’t as helpful because much of the instruction relates to the onscreen slides. Congratulations on completing the Comptia exams!
    I too got certified before the end of the year. I took the three of them two weeks before the end of December; I only studied one day before each one using the free practice tests, in the end I passed all three with an average of mid 800s. I know that the CCNA will be much more difficult and the exams aren’t really comparative at all. I had always planned on getting the Comptia certs but never really bothered because I don’t put much stock in them. When I found out that they were changing the lifetime status to 3 years, I decided to just take them, so the next week I did. I also wanted to take the “easy” exams before I did the CCNA because I wanted to get familiar with the facility and develop a sort of comfort so I wouldn’t be stressed when the time came for the CCNA. I was even able to take all of the exams on the same workstation, and the nice lady at vue said I could take the CCNA on the same workstation again! I really enjoy when things like that work out :D

Mikej412: Thanks for all those wonderful tips, I haven’t looked into to them yet as I am not going to try SDM until late next week. The knowledge rot hopefully won’t happen; I plan on attempting CCNA S, CEH, MCITP, and maybe the CSSP (if I can get them to let me) this year as well. I agree it is a “rush” but I am confident with dedication I can persevere, already I am "feeling the burn” of studying, mostly sleep deprivation.

Jumezurike
    : That is very impressive, I have great respect for those with such responsibilities, let’s hope that both of us can finish strong. It is an inspiration to know that you too are working hard.

Heero: Staying motivated is the hardest thing, already I have wanted to just slow down and not try as hard. It isnt so bad when you get to configure the labs, although the repetition gets boring fast.
    That’s why I plan on just knocking out the Sybex book first because I find it the dullest out of all the ways to study. If I don’t come at this with a plan of action I am afraid I will just put it off and life will get in the way, too often procrastination leads to complete resignation.

tomaifauchai: It’s hard to believe that someone who is paying for netacad would defraud themselves in such a way. The friend who I have cited several times and contributed greatly by letting me borrow his study materials was in the academy 2 or 3 years ago, I am very fortunate to be able to borrow his resources that he purchased to prepare himself.

Well that wraps up the replies, thanks for all your input, you have defiantly helped me on my path.
    Tomorrow I promise I will update the resource list.

Since I last posted I have only read to chapter 3 in the Sybex book, I neglected it in order to do packet tracers, which are 10 times more fun. I have been doing ones from the academy that my friend saved, I really like how they have a completion percentage. Yesterday I was doing one and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why my route summary was wrong, I stared at the binary I had written down for nearly 10 minutes until I realized had to borrow another 2 bits for the mask!! LOL
    I have been doing all of my “work” on a 12” dry erase board, I think it will help me become proficient and comfortable for when I take the CCNA.

I started using Ucertify practice test, I like the interface and used the free practice ones when I was practicing for Comptia. The downside is I doubt the questions will be very similar to the CCNA, but hey anything helps. Ucertify has a pretty sweet policy that if you buy their software and fail the exam they will refund the price of the testing software, now that is a company that stands behind their product! Furthermore they are constantly having sales and promotions some of the software can be purchased for as much as 60-40% off if you just wait for the right time to buy. I am really glad I read about not reading the answers to the missed questions, I wouldn't have thought of that, I just look at the questions I missed and look up what the answer is, that way I wont memorize the answers and skew the results.

Additionally I have watched another 6 CBT Nugget videos. I'm halfway done converting them so I can watch them on my phone, I think that will be really beneficial so I can view them when I am out.

In closing I want to leave you with a something I have learned that most of you already know.

NEVER try to study while sitting on your bed unless you have amazing resolve and focus, I got home from work and I thought I would just try to do a little studying and be comfortable. IT DID NOT WORK, I was asleep in 10 minutes. icon_redface.gif

Once again thanks for the support, the community really helps keep the motivation and morale up.
    -J