Options

The WGU Challenge - Finish in 1 term

Comments

• Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I'm scheduled for thr DFV1 exam this tuesday. I'm very nervous myself. I've gone thru the book,uCertify and Learnkey. I read that uCertify was about useless for this exam. What I've done to help prepare is I created a test that includes all the book questions and testbanks along with some uCertify questions(almost 300 questions) and plan to be able to understand the material behind those.

I do have some programming exp in java(beginner ability) but hope that will prove to be useful.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    vishusveevishusvee Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck kgb..keep us posted.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Time for an update.

I submitted my Tech writing assignment on last Monday, first thing in the morning. I received my work return notice Friday afternoon. All I have to say is WOW. These graders are amazing incompetent. I was counted off for several items that were included in the document. I received a 1.00 for the coversheet because I didn't include all the items, even though they were there! So I went through and made a separate section for every single item listed in the assignment: Intro, review of other work, deliverables, milestones, objectives, etc. Each have their own heading so that maybe they will be able to find them. I did make one mistake in that I misread the competency matrix requirements and only included 5 instead of 10, so they didn't even grade that part. They also only gave me a 3.00 on review of other work. While that is sufficient to pass, I went ahead and reviewed 3 other articles to boost that up to a 4.00.

Today I finished up the deficiencies and submitted both my tech writing and capstone documents.

I had my last 2 Cisco tests scheduled for this Wednesday at a testing center 2 hours away. Friday I decided to check and see if anything closer had opened up and there is a testing center only an hour away that has an opening on Friday, so I rescheduled. I hate putting it off even further, but I really would not have to pay for the gas and my time off of work to drive 2 extra hours for no reason.

As of right now, I am totally ready for ICND2 and about halfway ready for IINS. With this holiday weekend, I don't think I will have any problem getting ready in time. Even If I fail one of the two tests, I still have time to take it once more before my term is over.

I'm glad to see others pushing themselves to get finished with their degree quickly. I want to say again how this method isn't for everyone. I have a lot of real world experience and had to actually learn very little in the entire program. If you don't have the experience, slow down and learn it, you will be happier.

Also, don't let DFV1 let you down. It's the toughest class. That MS book is just not written as an intro to the material. If you can, put it off until your last programming course. That way you will be able to get the basics of programming down before being thrown into VB. I would even do the Java courses first if I had to do it again.
  • Options
    Good luck on your exam swild. My courses so far are all certifications, so I have not yet experience the writing portion of WGU. Though I am proficient in writing, I heard all kind of stories about grading. I just hope they do better so you can finish up on a positive note.

DFV1 did let me down, after utilizing all the materials; either the resources did not prepare me well enough for the exam or I'm missing something, but I will figure it out. I was told the MeasureUp resource was better than uCertify. Does anyone have thoughts on that? I would have to purchase though..which is a bummer.

I actually thought about what you said swild about postponing DFV1 and continue with COV1 (CIW Web Design) and BOV1 (JavaScript) before I retry DFV1. swild, would you recommend that for programming newbies as myself?

Thanks, Vee.
  • Options
    If you are able to, I would recommend it. Just make sure you are able to finish it before the end of your term. The web design course doesn't get very in depth into any programming, but I would say that the Javascript class could help prepare you. I think that the first Java class would be even better.
  • Options
    swild, thanks for the update. DFV1 has already hindered this term; but I may try COV1 first to get me back in the passing streak, hit java and conquer DFV1. I was doing fine until they drop this programming on me.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Humm thanks for the update on the dreamspark/msdnaa. Used to be two different programs. Now MSDNAA is considered dreamspark premium. Woo free software! And yes getting vmware is tough, have to email the mentor to get access.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    swild wrote: »
    If you are able to, I would recommend it. Just make sure you are able to finish it before the end of your term. The web design course doesn't get very in depth into any programming, but I would say that the Javascript class could help prepare you. I think that the first Java class would be even better.

Swild,

Is your reason for this so you become familiar with object-orientated programming principles? For example, someone that understands, loops, classes, methods and can follow the logic in simple (well, not crazy complex) methods/classes would have the skills that are missing from the overall DFV1 courseware provided?
  • Options
    Exactly. I learned in C++ all the programming basics. Java, like C++, is strongly typed so you have to actually learn more fundamental structures and how they interact with each other. Javascript is a weakly typed language and is much easier to learn if you already know a strongly typed language. VB is not my cup of tea, but if you know how to wrap your head around programming in general, you can really learn any language.

I really think that it would be easier to learn everything you need if you started with Java, but at WGU the Javascript course is a better course for learning in my opinion. I really didn't like the books included with either of the Java courses. So I think if you went Javascript > Java 1 > VB(MTA Web Dev), you would be the best off. Java 2 is pretty tough and really much more in depth than any other course save Cisco.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm glad to see others pushing themselves to get finished with their degree quickly. I want to say again how this method isn't for everyone. I have a lot of real world experience and had to actually learn very little in the entire program. If you don't have the experience, slow down and learn it, you will be happier.

Thanks for the advice. I totally agree. You have to find the right balance between getting a good ROI (by finishing earlier than expected), and actually learning the material. It may take some time to find the right balance, but stick with it we must.

Good luck on your final items.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    You get out what you put in

If you know it already your already a step ahead
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Last night, right before bed, I checked my email and had a work returned email from Taskstream. This is obviously a different grader than the last one, since I got lower scores on some sections than last time, but they still didn't read my paper. After specifically making a bold section head foreach section for Timeline, Milestones, Deliverables, Goals, they still said that the material was not included in the submission. I expanded each section and resubmitted. If they give me a 2 in each section that they said isn't included, it will still be enough for me to get a 3.00 overall. I don't know why they are being so different for the writing assignment than for the programming assignments. I guess they are graded by different departments. If I don't get a pass this time, I will have to file a complaint. Both capstone and tech writing have been resubmitted.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so when is your deadline for the 6 months to wrap it up in one term?
  • Options
    June 30th. I have plenty of time, even with Taskstream being idiots.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yup, more then enough time. When i enroll im going to use your approach and TRY to get it done in one term since i will be paying out of pocket. Ill have cbtnuggets on stand by for the mta classes if i run into difficulties. You are by far a huge inspiration.
  • Options
    LayOffPayOffLayOffPayOff Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck dmarcisco, unfortunately there's no nugget program for 98-363(DFV1) so you'll be at the mercy of the book. My plan this week (fingers crossed) is to finish the book, go back over the Learnkey videos, and get started on ucertify. If i can get this completed by next week I will be a happy man.

Speaking of nuggets, I was looking around the internet for resources for DFV1 and found 70-515 (.NET 4 Web App Development). The 1st half of this set sounds very similar to DFV1 to me. Is my frustration making me crazy to think that?

Microsoft Programming .NET 4 Web App Development 70-515 Video Training Online | CBT Nuggets
    WGU BSIT-Network Administration: March 2012 - Jan 2013
    -Courses Completed: ORA1, WFV1, COV1, CQV1, BNC1, MGC1, TPV1, DFV1, CUV1, BOV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1, SBT1, RBT1
    -Courses Transfered: AXV1, CPV1, CSV1, CTV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, DHV1, CWV1, QLT1, DEV1, BVC1, IWC1, IWT1
  • Options
    After 3 revisions, I finally received a pass on Tech Writing, 3.33 out of 4. It should have been a little higher because the grader gave me a 3 on a section where it wasn't applicable but a pass is a pass. I submitted my Capstone at the same time and still waiting to hear back on that one.

ICND2 is scheduled for 10am and IINS is at noon. I spent nearly 40 hours just this week studying for these 2 tests. The LearnKey videos were easy to get through, but when I loaded up the practice exam that came with the OCG, I could only answer about half the questions. I'm not sure what exactly to expect on this exam but most comments on this forum indicate that it is a fairly easy exam.

As long as I pass both of these today, I'm done with WGU. It's been a tough 5 months, but I have already been applying to jobs and from what I am seeing out there, I should be able to increase my salary by 50% to 100%. I'd say that's twelve hundred bucks well spent.
  • Options
    Best of luck to you swild.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    TRY to get it done in one term since i will be paying out of pocket.

New to this thread so forgive me if this question was all ready answered.

When I went through school, you payed for the first 12 hours and then everything after that was free for the semester. It was later changed to include a small fee per hour over 12 but it is still extremely economical to finish early so long as you are diligent and do not end up retaking classes. I finished 1 year ahead of the 4 year plan and saved myself a few sheckles and gain a years worth of salary.

Am I to assume this is also how WGU works?

I work with two people currently enrolled in WGU programs. Why is this such a popular choice for IT professionals to receive degrees from?
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    tprice5 wrote: »
    New to this thread so forgive me if this question was all ready answered.

When I went through school, you payed for the first 12 hours and then everything after that was free for the semester. It was later changed to include a small fee per hour over 12 but it is still extremely economical to finish early so long as you are diligent and do not end up retaking classes. I finished 1 year ahead of the 4 year plan and saved myself a few sheckles and gain a years worth of salary.

Am I to assume this is also how WGU works?

I work with two people currently enrolled in WGU programs. Why is this such a popular choice for IT professionals to receive degrees from?

WGU is a flat-rate for 6 month terms. There is no added fees for taking 12hrs or 150hrs in 6 months. The only time you will have to pay extra is if you fail a test 2 times, since they require you to start paying for the tests after the 2nd failed attempt.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    First off, good luck today swild. I hope you knock them both out.

Second, can you link a thread or give some info on how you got the term for twelve hundred bucks? I was under the impression is was something like six grand a term. Thanks.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    onesaint wrote: »
    First off, good luck today swild. I hope you knock them both out.

Second, can you link a thread or give some info on how you got the term for twelve hundred bucks? I was under the impression is was something like six grand a term. Thanks.

Its actually 3 grand per term. Maybe swild is referring to the amount he spent on outside study material?
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    Thanks Alif. That's the non subsidized rate? WGU just keeps getting better and better!

• Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    onesaint wrote: »
    Thanks Alif. That's the non subsidized rate? WGU just keeps getting better and better!

That's correct.

WGU Tuition and Financial Aid | Federal Financial Aid | Grants for College | Western Governors University Online
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck. Waiting for the verdict...
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    That's how much I had to pay out of pocket for tuition after Pell grant and scholarship.

Well the verdict is in and it sucks. I failed both tests. 703 on ICND2 and 733 on IINS. Back to studying.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    That's how much I had to pay out of pocket for tuition after Pell grant and scholarship.

Well the verdict is in and it sucks. I failed both tests. 703 on ICND2 and 733 on IINS. Back to studying.
    Sucks, but those aren't exactly easy exams. Are you going to have to take another term to get those last two exams?
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Thanks for the update and sorry to hear. You've still got the rest of June, right? The nice part is, now the two exams will be your only focus. Good luck!

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 891 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sorry to hear, Swild. But at least you have 20+ days to complete the two tests. I'd say focus on one at a time since you have a little time. Cisco tests aren't easy. The Security test is best taken after doing labs. If you can get your hand on the network academy lab book that might help.
  • Options
    fendralfendral Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ICND2 is a beast of an exam, even though there is less subnetting than ICND1, I would still recommend barfing up a subnetting chart to your whiteboard during the 'tutorial' part of the exam. Other good things to put on there is a quick multiples of 16, and the router boot sequence.
    B.S. IT - Security : Transferred|Required|In Progress|Completed
    LAE1 AGC1 BBC1 CNV1 AXV1 CPV1 DJV1 INT1 COV1 CQV1 QLT1 BVC1 (39CU)
    TPV1 CSV1 SBT1 RGT1 (17CU)
    KFT1 RIT1 IWT1 (9CU)
    CLC1 KET1 CTV1 WFV1 MGC1 CVV1 INC1 LUT1 CUV1 BOV1 DFV1 CJV1 BNC1 DHV1 IWC1 HHT1 GAC1 QBT1 (57CU)