• Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Good luck with the interview.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck man! Be confident and let them know you want the job!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    In person interview was today. I met with 3 different people and it went very well with all 3. I think I have a good chance of getting this job. It will depend on the experience level of the other applicants.
  • Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    vinbuck wrote: »
    Haha...true enough. I spent over a year and a half on the CCNP, so I like to think i'm not just a paper tiger, but after delving into the CCIE Blueprint, I realize how much I don't know and how far I have yet to go. Having said that though, working at a service provider has taken me from having just enough networking knowledge to be dangerous to designing and implementing a large MPLS core and all the fun access side stuff that attaches to it. Also, my troubleshooting skills are so far beyond where they used to be.

The biggest benefit though is that I learned how to learn networking. Now, I can digest and start applying a new technology more quickly after some testing and research because I have a very solid foundation built up from blood, sweat and tears.

I've been wrestling with it, but after touring the datacenter and seeing what a cutting edge network they have, I have no doubt that I'll get to play with the latest and greatest. I may very well return to the provider side, but I want to round out my design and operational experience and play in the data center a little bit instead of the CO.

I bet you have some good stories about the tears part.

let us know it.

after one month in my job I have had a few xD.
  • Options
    Going in for a second interview in the morning. Meeting with HR and the CEO of the company. I'm excited about this job and I'm really hoping I get it.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck and have fun
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Jackace wrote: »
    Going in for a second interview in the morning. Meeting with HR and the CEO of the company. I'm excited about this job and I'm really hoping I get it.

Can you reveal which ISP it is?
  • Options
    Can you reveal which ISP it is?

They have offered me the job, but nothing is official until Monday so I will be back once it is official and let you all know which ISP.
  • Options
    I have officially accepted the offer and will be putting in my notice today. The ISP is Syringa Networks.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Good Job!!!!!!!
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice one, mate! What's the average salary expectations of a network engineer at an ISP? I've seen postings anywhere from $50k to $110k. I suppose it's just down to location and what they're looking for, right?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    I would definitely say all about location. I've earned anywhere from 40K for Tier 1 NOC to 50K for like a level 3 role - but then again average salary in my area is 40K ... which means most jobs pay MUCH less then this :)
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Congratulations on the new job. icon_cheers.gif
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    I will not be a network engineer. It is a group between the network engineers and the NOC. I'm responsible for provisioning new circuits for customers and teir 2/3 support of the network. NOC has level 1 support and network monitoring. Engineers are building out the network (they are growing quickly) and teir 4/5 support.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not enough rep I can give for the amount of Win you've done, Jackace.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    I really thought I would have to leave the area to get a job in networking, but I lucked out on this one. It did take almost an entire year to find this job however, but it should be a great opportunity for me and I really want to make the most of it.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jackace wrote: »
    So I might have a chance to land a job with a small regional ISP in the area. My questions to all of you is what is life like working for an ISP. They have both a TDM/SONET network and an MPLS IP network. I would be tier 2-3 support so not front lines, but not design or high level support either. From talking with my would be manager it sounds like I would get experience with a lot of different networking technologies and it sounds like a great place to build a solid base of experience in networking. From those that have worked for ISPs what generally can I expect?

Update - I got the job and will be putting in my two week notice today. I'm pretty excited about the opportunity and it should give me a real jump start in networking.

Hey Jackace

A long time ago, in a far away galaxy I worked for a regional ISP. The pay certainly wasn't what I could make in the enterprise world, but I had a lot of fun. You will work hard & it's possible the environment is going to be more casual than formal. In my situation, my co-workers were truly passionate about IT & all of them unique individuals versus corporate drones. We worked long hours sometimes but it never felt like working. Not like coming to an office tower.

And yes, I agree with the others, no better place than to get full out exposure to networking. Hopefully you can wear jeans to work too icon_wink.gif.