Options

IT interest fading; stuck at help desk

Comments

• Options
    FortKnightFortKnight Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're right. All this time, wondering what I wanted to do, I was settling for less, being afraid of change.

The spark is starting to come back. I want a job I can't wait to go to in the mornings, as well as my own place, in a safe neighborhood. One thing will lead to the other, I suppose. Looks like I got something to work toward.
  • Options
    Sorry to double post, but I've went through some good things over the past couple months. One of them being me paying off one of my student loans. It doesn't sound too exciting, but it's good for me.

I've found a couple job postings that I qualify for (Support Engineer), so I'm going to apply for them. Certifications weren't required for these particular positions. I still have just A+, but now plan on getting both Network+ and Security+.

I've studied half the Network+ book so far. Some of it has been easier than I thought it would be; I've seen the stuff everyday for the past two years in Help Desk. Then, it hit me; I didn't hate networking; I hated my current job.

I'll schedule the Network+ exam for early April.
  • Options
    SurgeSurge Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    FortKnight wrote: »
    I've studied half the Network+ book so far. Some of it has been easier than I thought it would be; I've seen the stuff everyday for the past two years in Help Desk. Then, it hit me; I didn't hate networking; I hated my current job.

This is spot on in my opinion. It is easy to get caught up in the 'drama' of work and get caught up in everything that has nothing to do with you and what you want.
    Once you take work drama from the picture and focus on you there will be time to find what you fully want to pursue. The beauty is while you grow yourself you will find your path. Start with the network+ as you seem interested in going that route and see where it takes you. I promise it can only help you.

Jump over if you haven't yet to the network+ side of techexams, get involved and soak in the knowledge there to aid your studies. Having others around you with the same goal helps a lot.

Just my opinion as I have been there, hope this helps.
  • Options
    mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So, the number one priority is to find my interest? Well, I am interested in security. I haven't done any classes, but I have a couple books and access to videos. The Security+ material seemed more intriguing than the Network+ material, but the two go hand in hand, I assuming.

Perhaps I should focus on Security+, but do I have to get Network+ first?

These are free training videos on Security+ . They should help with learning the material.

Professor Messer's Free CompTIA SY0-301 Security+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training

Also, some inspirational words from Mr. Jones: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/98413-don-jones-powershell-mvp-career-rant.html

Nope, there are no prerequisites for either certification. Security is my passion as well, I can say that I would spend some time researching your certs before you buy the books and labs for that cert.

CompTIA certs are great to start out with such as A+ and security+ but I don't feel they offer much else worth taking. There are several threads on here where members advise focusing on other certifications besides CompTIA as this allows you to specialize in an area such as Microsoft or Cisco etc.

Personally after my Linux+ and CASP I will not be taking any more CompTIA certs.

I disagree with the CompTIA exams are worthless and time should be better spent on others type of statements. The trifecta (A, network, and security) is a wealth of knowledge that greatly helps you in completing other certs. Knowing how networks work (connections and topologies) combined with basic security knowledge will only help you when taking Microsoft or Cisco certs. Knowing best practices greatly assists you when you need to setup your windows servers to be secure.
    I consider CompTIA certs (at least the trifecta) to be the equiv of an Associates-degree level of information. MCSA and CCENT/CCNA are also Microsoft and Ciscos Associate-degree level info to me as well. However, CCNP and MCSE are Bachelor-degree levels of information. Basically, everything has its value and to ignore even the smallest one could hurt you in the highest ones.
  • Options
    neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    Congrats on paying off one of your school loans. Always keep learning. I am like you at my current job. But looking for another job as well and within the IT field. Use your experience to springboard you to your next position. Your getting experience which will help you in the end. Good luck.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
  • Options
    KeroseenKeroseen Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I supervised a help desk of over 50 people at one point... The average burn out time for most help desks is 9 months. It's not uncommon to feel the way you do. In some respects, help desk is the best entry job you could have, because it presses you to strive for more... To further educate yourself. If you don't, you'll remain in help desk purgatory. You don't want to be that guy. I know that guy. He's single, approaching 40, and still living with his parents.
  • Options
    Thanks for the ... support icon_cool.gif.

Speaking of which, I found a couple positions at a tech company, for support engineer. I went and applied for it last week. The initial phone screening went well, and I now have a technical phone interview coming up Monday.

The job description seemed similar to what I'm doing now, but the company seems to offer a lot more options for IT career advancement. Hopefully, the interview goes well Monday. I just wish it were in person, rather than over the phone.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    here is the thing u may try which worked out for me......when i first got interested in career change couple years ago, some wise-butt told me to start off with MCITP 2008 server.....as he suggested, I started studying & got overwhelmed cause things were a little more advanced than i could handle....so i took a long break & started my expedition in 2013....started with very basic.....bought a Network+ book & read the entire book twice & watched some training videos on pluralsights.com . they r only $29.00/month & it works awesome.....passed my test within 2 months...then went on to Security+ & passed it in 2 months also.....then started CCNA part1 (ICND1)....now, that took me 4 months cause there r lot to learn in it.....after passing ICND1, it took me 1&1/2 months to pass ICND2 test & got my full CCNA (R&S)......Now I'm going for my MCSE 2012 Server.......

One helpful tip, DON'T LOOK AT ALL THE MATERIALS AT THE SAME TIME....PICK ONE & FINISH IT FIRST BEFORE U LOOK AT A DIFFERENT TEST......LOOKING AT ALL CAN OVERWHELM ANYONE........NEVER GIVE UP & BEST OF LUCK BUDDY....
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Study hard you can do it!! icon_thumright.gif

We all have hardships in life but keep your head up and push forward!! IT is an amazing field of opportunity with so many areas of diversity. I have my certification goals and what I want to accomplish on my refrigerator so everyday I look at it as a reminder to myself to keep motivated and remember what is important in life and where I want to go in IT. icon_cool.gif

I push myself physically and mentally everyday and I won't stop till I'm an IT Manager at a gaming company (SEGA, 2K Games, Capcom, Ubisoft, Namco Bandai, etc.) which is my dream job. I hope this passion and motivation keeps your spark alive!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can always look for another support position... You might find another company looking for someone more experienced, willing to pay a little more, and/or having additional, more advanced responsibilities. If nothing else, it could make for a change of pace.

Edit: I see you've already done that... :)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Good luck with the interview.

I also recommend Professor Messer's video training. He has A+, Network+, Security+, and some Linux+ all free on his website, and he holds study groups on occasion.

I'm reading through Darril Gibson's book right now. It's the most digestable Security+ book I've come across.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    stryder144 wrote: »
    To piggyback, in a manner of speaking, here are some recommendations, based on twenty-two years of military experience and a little less than one year of professional IT experience:

1. Remember how your boss treats you. If it is not to your liking, I suggest pinpointing why you don't like it and develop a plan to never treat others that way. You've got to know who you want to be when the time comes to be.

2. Identify the types of technology you are working with, such as Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, etc. Then go to the library or Amazon and get your hands on books that cover those techs. Study, study, study. Become the best password resetter while also expanding on that knowledge.

3. Consider getting books that cover Server+, Security+, Project+, Linux+, and Network+. Read them cover-to-cover. You don't need to take the cert exams for them, just get to know them. They will familiarize you with a broad spectrum of IT. If you don't like what you are reading, then that will help you to better understand what facet of IT you may want to avoid in the future. On the flip side, it may pique your interest in something that will eventually become your career focus.

4. Consider these three non-tech books: Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich (it will motivate you to figure out how to find your passion), Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People (it will provide you with critical people skills), and Stephen Covey's The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People (seven principles that will help you develop yourself personally and professionally). A bonus fourth book would be Ken Blanchard's The One Minute Manager.

5. If you haven't already done so, put together a blog and a LinkedIn page. As you are learning, post what you are learning to your blog. Then, cross post your blog to LinkedIn. That will allow future employers to get a better feel for who you are. It will also show them, if the blog is written well, just how motivated and trainable you are.

6. Last but not least, corral your dissatisfaction. You need to re-channel it into positive thoughts. If you dwell on the negative, you will become negative. If you dwell on the positive, you will become positive. Once you become positive, you will see solutions to problems and not just the problems. As that applies to your situation, it will help you to be patient in your current circumstance while also giving you the energy and drive you need to move forward with discovering your passion and purpose in life (and IT!).

Cheers

This is motivational upon itself. A good read. :)

Study hard you can do it!! icon_thumright.gif

We all have hardships in life but keep your head up and push forward!! IT is an amazing field of opportunity with so many areas of diversity. I have my certification goals and what I want to accomplish on my refrigerator so everyday I look at it as a reminder to myself to keep motivated and remember what is important in life and where I want to go in IT. icon_cool.gif

I push myself physically and mentally everyday and I won't stop till I'm an IT Manager at a gaming company (SEGA, 2K Games, Capcom, Ubisoft, Namco Bandai, etc.) which is my dream job. I hope this passion and motivation keeps your spark alive!!

Well said. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    Thanks for all your support.

The bad news is that the company did not hire me. Honestly, after doing the interview, listening to every word about the potential job, it seemed as if it would be a step backward (strict phone support there, versus 50/50 hands on and phone support here). I'd rather spend as little time as possible on the phone in front of a screen; I need action.

The good news is that I passed the Network+ exam this morning. Onward to Security+.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I remember this thread from January. Amazing to see the progress you have made in both your personnal and professional life. Even your attitude has completely turned around especially after being rejected! I'm proud of you. Keep your head up and stay positive, you are on the right track toward a more fulfilling carrer and life.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    consider yourself lucky to get this much support from the community :)
    good luck with your journey!
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great job on the Net+ and thanks for keeping us updated.
    As you have managed the Net+ you now know you can do it!
    Take a short break and pick your next topic. Don't let to much time go by because weeks become months very fast.

Good Luck
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Back then in my previous company, I wasn't learning anything much. That is a typical problem for most of the first job. Its easy, kinda low pay but you really need it for a starter. The idea behind is, you had to continue to upgrade yourself to the latest industry standards. I can gurantee if you don't start upgrading yourself and do something about this, your going to have a difficult career line ahead.

I would suggest to try changing job, learn to sell yourself, probably asking for a fresh graduate degree pay and it will probably even pay better than your current one. Get the free time to buy a book to start, plan your path and certs and then dive your way to it.

In my first position at the MSS SOC, we had spare time. I end up learning Linux, Hacking, and subseuqntly took my first GCIH and GPEN. Got lucky and got promoted in 2 years and move up a good salary. Eventually I move to my second company with another good increment. Gotten my CISSP and a couple of certs, I am waiting for the offer of my next jump, which finally I found a US company who are willing to take me in and benchmark me according to my certs and relevant experience instead of previous salary.
  • Options
    Maybe I should rename this topic "How FortKnight got his groove back".

I plan on taking the Security+ exam by the end of next month. We have an intern who's in school currently, who's working toward CEH. It sounds very interesting to me, but I'd like to get Security+ first.

As far as my next move is concerned, I'm still not sure what I want to do next. The thing is my boss is a network admin. I thought that I wanted to work toward being a network admin in the future, but seeing what he has to go through on a daily basis (he gets calls on his cell phone while on vacation; ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO DO THAT?!?!), I'm not so sure this is what I want to pursue anymore.

But, then again, maybe it's the company. It's not that I hate networking; I just don't want to do it there. Without going into detail, there's just too much tension.

I went to USAJobs, and there are a ton of jobs close to home that I could do, and the pay is much nicer. Most of those jobs need a security clearance. Should I work towards that next? Is it even worth pursuing? I hear the process can take months.
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck on Security+ , go slow and make sure you understand all the topics. Then bring TE back a winner! Well you said earlier you like security, so you can keep down that road if its what you enjoy. There can be desktop and OS security, Network security, all kinds, find your niche and don't let go. Security clearances take a while to get and can cost them a bit of money, especially for a TS.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    mikelau13mikelau13 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am not sure if my opinion will be helpful or not... but I do suggest to go learn some programming language (I would suggest C++) or any cloud-based thing, so that you can apply your networking skills and make an simple console app to show case yourself - for example, a simple app to diagnose few very common networking problems that you have seen.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As far as my next move is concerned, I'm still not sure what I want to do next. The thing is my boss is a network admin. I thought that I wanted to work toward being a network admin in the future, but seeing what he has to go through on a daily basis (he gets calls on his cell phone while on vacation; ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO DO THAT?!?!), I'm not so sure this is what I want to pursue anymore.

I wonder if you did a show of hands here how many people have the exact same situation. Also consider the possibility of on-call work being involved as you move up the ladder. I know the environment of the job may just be kinda crappy, so i'm sure that plays a part. I know i've been at jobs that i've been unhappy with and it feeling crappy every minute of every day. Hopefully a change of scenery will you do well.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    ruppertkruppertk Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Always have gratitude, Thankful your mom is there and in good health, thankful the car starts, thankful to the house the shelters you, thankful to the job that pays you a wage, the more you see what to be grateful for the more you will appreciate. Remember the man that complained of having no shoes never met the man that had no feet.
  • Options
    A bunch of things have happened since I was last here...

First thing, I've passed the Security+ exam this morning. The topics were interesting, so much so that I think I may want to pursue security further.

A couple weeks ago, I went to Ohio to visit some family. When we weren't doing family stuff, we drove around Columbus. It is a pretty nice city (well, to me at least). I've only mentioned this city because, once the old resume is updated, I'm thinking of expanding the job search outside of Maryland.

But I guess that's another topic. The point is I'm feeling a lot better now than I did a few months ago. I shall keep pushing forward.
  • Options
    VikingWarlordVikingWarlord Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm thinking of expanding the job search outside of Maryland.

As someone who just moved to Maryland...do what you can to get out of here.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How are things progressing FortKnight? :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    How are things progressing FortKnight? :)

I almost forgot about this thread... lots of good things!

Since last posting, I have hit the job search hard, both in Maryland and in Ohio. While visiting Columbus a second time, I was able to land an in-person interview for a Desktop Support Technician. It looks like someone else got the position, but it was a nice experience, if only to brush up on my interviewing skills. Then, a couple weeks after I came home, two other places in Ohio called back wanting to schedule an interview. It's nice knowing that a city 400 miles away were willing to give me a chance.

Meanwhile, a government contractor got hold of my resume, and we did an interview for two positions; Desktop Support and Systems Administration. I was offered the job for Systems Admin! :D The issue is that it requires a top secret security clearance. I can't actually start working for them until I get it, but the company says they will pay for it. They say that for someone like me (no previous clearance, lived in MD since born, no foreign relatives), it shouldn't take as long as it usually does.

Looks like I need to wait just a little while longer, then the IT career can really begin. Can't wait!
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That is awesome news, FortKnight! Good luck!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bad A@@ FortKnight! Good luck on getting the clearance and starting your career. :)
  • Options
    cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good news there aren't really any "tests" for Gov't clearances. You just have to have a clean criminal record and you should be good to go! GL :)
    HAVE: A+
    Working on: N+, CCENT
    Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University