Anyone ever had their mind blown by a salary offer? (in a bad way)

Comments

• JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The company I worked for previously pay their Network techs just a smidge above 40k, like 41k. For the title, I think is mind boggling, but they misnamed the title and it should be helpdesk support instead because all they do is fix PC hardware and push programs to computers, that is ALL THEY DO. A person with an A+ cert could do the job.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    12.50 is a atrocious. I've never met anyone in IT who made that little ever. Even on the help desk peoplemake around 15 - 16 an hour, 22 if you are a vet. 12.50 is laughable.

This is in the midwest, not the coasts. i'm sure out there the rate is even higher.
    @ GEForce

No proven data or direct correlation that shows certs = dollars.

Not saying they can't help but gaining a glutton of certifications is a poor strategy imo.
  • jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have seen system admin job near nyc for 30k. I laughed. They probably find someone willing but will leave them as soon as they find something better.
  • nsternster Member Posts: 231
    30K in NYC? McDonald's probably pays more. Might as well be an internship
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Someone here messaged me and actually interviewed for the same job I was talking about and also turned it down. Crazy small world.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    @ GEForce

No proven data or direct correlation that shows certs = dollars.

Not saying they can't help but gaining a glutton of certifications is a poor strategy imo.

But, but... certs man!!!! They'll make it better!

Actually, I think they help get you to the interview and then you sell yourself and your desire wage.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
    But, but... certs man!!!! They'll make it better!

Actually, I think they help get you to the interview and then you sell yourself and your desire wage.

T - spot on. Certs have value no question but after a while...................

BTW gratz on the degree!
  • SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recently was in the market and I think I only heard from one company that was low balling, I think they were talking 50k. Honestly I don't have an issue taking a minor pay cut if the position is right, but most companies have been willing to at least meet my current salary. I just wish more companies posted their range on the postings. I think I understand why they don't, but it makes things very annoying.
    'm a-bit off topic, but that is why I have working on numerous certs. I realize that wireless and security fields are always important, mostly to the federal government. My goal is to get PMP, CISM, and the other flavors off CISSP, including other pen testing certs and finish this never ending DBA. It just my view, but my goal is to be a Security IT PM against the progression of ever-growing security threats (and continue to learn because it never stops).

You're likely setting yourself up as overqualified. Depends on GS vs contractor, but on the contractor side, CISSP and a few years under your belt is enough to get you a PM position. For the GS side, i'd be surprised you aren't having interviews hurled at you.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
    Saw this in the local market today:

Desired Qualifications:
    ·Current MCSE 2003/2008 certification OR equivalent experience/knowledge
    ·Minimum of 2-3 years of experience
    ·Excellent communication skills
    ·Must be self-motivated
    ·Excellent problem solving skills
    ·Impeccable work record required
    ·Reliable transportation and insurable driving record

Desired Technical Knowledge:
    ·Extensive knowledge of PC hardware and software
    ·Expert ability in Windows operating systems (2000 / Windows XP / Vista / 7/ icon_cool.gif
    ·Ability to manage wide variety of printers
    ·Expert knowledge of server operating systems (Windows 2003 / 2008 / 2012)
    ·Complete understanding of LAN / WAN technologies
    ·Ability to deploy, manage, and troubleshoot e-mail systems (Exchange 2003/2007/2010/2013)

compensation: Pay range from $30K - $40K depending on experience; 401K/profit sharing; health

Guys, I think I might be done with IT.
    Well, to be fair, if you take out "Expert" and "Complete understanding" and replace "current certification" to "Windows Server knowledge", this would describe my job pretty well and salary-wise it is the range I am getting paid as well.

Knowing the some exaggeration is normal in job posting these days, seems pretty standard for me. Ofc, it depends on the location
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Outsourcing to India and Eastern Europe, clouds and automation kill jobs and lower salaries in IT, especially for entry to medium level positions that don't work with hardware. And there's nothing to do about it but adapt.
    30 - 40k Wow that is just harsh.
    I'm assuming they wold hire someone who did 2 years helpdesk and has an A.S. degree in which they touched Windows Server. 35-40k would make sense in that scenario no?
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    nster wrote: »
    I'm assuming they wold hire someone who did 2 years helpdesk and has an A.S. degree in which they touched Windows Server. 35-40k would make sense in that scenario no?

Who knows, but one should perhaps not take an ad that says "Complete understanding of LAN / WAN technologies" very seriously.
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    nster wrote: »

I work Help Desk/Information Assurance with 3 years experience and an AAS degree and I make 51k. The salaries I have seen on this thread are atrocious. Where I live (Northwest Florida), all entry level DoD jobs pay decent. Though, then again, all these jobs require security clearances.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
    https://www.dice.com/jobs/detail/IT-System-Administrator/RTX19163b/wspos982218?src=27&rx_medium=cpc&CMPID=AG_IN_PD_JS_AV_OG_RC_&utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=Aggregator&utm_content=&utm_campaign=Advocacy_Ongoing&rx_source=Indeed&rx_campaign=Indeed18&rx_group=85

I had a phone screen for this job today. We discussed salary requirements and I asked her for a range on the position.

I was told they were looking to pay between 25 and 30k a year. Initially she said 25-30, I said "per hour?" she said no.. per year....

Is this some kind of sick joke that I am not in on? Noted this for a non profit... but still?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Doesn't seem that far off for a help desk job in that area of GA to me. A little low, but not 'blow me away' low.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    That's not "System Administrator" job at all, it's like Helpdesk II, still seems really low though. Then again, here the minimum salary is like 21-22K so 25-30K is Helpdesk I
    Doesn't seem that far off for a help desk job in that area of GA to me. A little low, but not 'blow me away' low.

The position says it works with the help desk. So it's not the help desk. Probably like desktop support. Seems low to me. Potentially $12/hr you figure.

As for the MCSE, if I sat for 5 tests to get my MCSE, you better pay me more than $35k a year (which is like what, $16/hr? Not really all that much more than the guy who got a 1 day training course in how to put guac in your burrito at Chipotle).
  • aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    12.50 is a atrocious. I've never met anyone in IT who made that little ever. Even on the help desk peoplemake around 15 - 16 an hour, 22 if you are a vet. 12.50 is laughable.

This is in the midwest, not the coasts. i'm sure out there the rate is even higher.

I used to be paid $12 an hour for managing a Bank's servers and doing help desk...my official job title was Desktop Support Network Administrator Level 1.....

There was no Level 2....by the time I resigned, they were willing to bump me up by several thousand and change the job title to Systems Administrator.

The job market in the town that I lived in was horrible for IT positions, and most of the staff that I worked with all admitted to being underpaid. I've heard that is common for community bank employees.

What I found to be insulting though was that the CEO and Vice president of the bank asked me if someone who was in book-keeping would be capable of handling my job. They clearly did not understand the complexity of IT. They probably thought (and may still think) that IT people have an easy button that they press or something...
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Something that i think many of you are forgetting is that a job description and salary range many be in the hands of an HR person who has about as much technical knowledge as they have years out of college. I have only been at one employer that the IT manager/CIO/VP of IT/etc wrote the entire job description and the rest have had input but not much else. That being said, someone may say I want X, Y, and Z from a candidate and the Hr person tries their best to find another recruitment and pull the reqs there to make their own. Copy/Paste FTW.

My Two Cents is that if your out of the interview game and want to get experience, may as well waste their time while honing your skills for the job you really want. Money is not the end all argument for our careers. Yes its REALLY nice to have but in no way will Money trump a good company culture, fun environment and people we actually WANT to work with/for. Seeing a low ball offer for a job may make you cringe but it could lead to something in a really great company.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Got offered $12.50/hr at a NOC that required a CCNA (or to get one within 6 months of starting). Thought that was pretty crazy.

Sounds about right in here.
    meh
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973

That's very normal @ IN when it comes to entry level jobs.
    meh
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Over the years I've referred to this as the $50,000 CCIE later the $50,000 CISSP. Please point these people out and I will keep them as busy as they want/bill.

Usually illicits a chuckle for more senior recruiters. Newb recruiters just panic and tell me not to say that, etc. Then I guess, I'm the only one laughing.

Fact is it happens even when your a senior, veteran type of any industry. Now, can I have those ruby slippers as well?

- b/eads
    I'm just going to throw my final two cents out there.

Help desk, desktop support, NOC, etc. We've all done one of those (or more). If you think $12.50/hr for a job is acceptable when it requires (KEY WORD HERE) certifications and degrees, then that is your belief. I made $11.49/hr in college picking up boxes. No skill. No experience needed. No education or certifications. The sheer fact of requiring someone to have spent time in a class room to gain knowledge and paying them $12/hr is terrible. Some jobs are seriously entry level (especially true help desk jobs where you are just logging tickets). Just remember that burger flippers want $15/hr

Ultimately, it doesn't matter to me anymore. I was offered a new position this week with phenomenal pay, but I'll still vouch for the cause.
  • w00tw00t Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm making close to 27 an hour with just an A+ and A.S. in IT in the Atlanta Area with four years of experience. I sealed the deal and tied up all the loose ends. :D
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    <...SNIP>Help desk, desktop support, NOC, etc. We've all done one of those (or more). <SNIP...>

Not all of us, just sayin'.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    20,000 Philippine Pesos for a consulting team leader position. That's like $400. Thanks but no, thanks.
  • adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Even the help desk guys generally need some training or knowledge to do their jobs.

Where I work, I deal with Server Administration (GPOs, scripts, Exchange, etc.), some networking (AAA server, VPNs, FireWall changes, minor switch/router config), backups, and tiers I-III support. I've logged thousands of hours studying and learning, and make about a buck an hour more than the production crew who require no training or experience and do get the possibility of OT. I'm not jealous, as they'll cap out, and I actually enjoy my job (guessing most of them don't by the looks on their faces), but point being, I can't see how our jobs are worth so little to employers at times. I get it, supply/demand, but there's no shortage of laborers either.