Options

What's your favorite piece of obsolete software?

13»

Comments

• Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    You obviously never played the awesomeness that was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis:

ss_4a566091505683752eb7d269578a84eb39a6b71a.600x338.jpg?t=1273615195

Oh, wow! What about Sam and Max Hit the Road? The five minute intro sequence is still probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

And there were those. . . Monkey Island? games.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @Paul78 - I see the 6502 was used in an Apple IIe - I used one in school with a green screen before I got my own 486 it's funny how these chips were even used in a Commodore 64 too and I never even knew. I also had a Commodore 64 clone with a tape deck before that which probably used that same chip too - I played Mission Impossible and Bionic Commando forever!
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    As Paul said, WordPerfect 4.2 - but really ANY WordPerfect with "Reveal Codes" was awesome. I didn't really care about the typing and formatting differences when I moved to Word, but man, I HATED giving up that feature.

Game wise, we had on the TRS-80:

Star Trek (my dad may have typed this in from a Byte magazine):

StarTrek-580-90.jpg

Atari 2600, Star Raiders:

Star-raiders-game-under-attack.gif

For the Atari 800, MULE (one of the best ever):

150386-m-u-l-e-atari-8-bit-screenshot-who-owns-what-s.png

And with all due respect to jibbajabba for bringing up Wing Commander, Privateer was the best from that franchise!

privateer_review1.jpg

Now I have to resist the temptation to get the old ROMs and play these all day...
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    C&C was a great game. we used to hook two ps1 up to play
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I still use sequoiaView, it was released in 2002 and still available for free download.

If you have no idea why the free HDD space is decreasing you will need sequoiaView.

ScreenSHSq1aL_01.jpg

Technische Universiteit Eindhoven: Info SequoiaView
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    For ms dos, I loved norton stuff, Norton Commander and Utilities. Then all the various MemMax tools, how about doublespace for hdd lol. windows for workgroups 3.11, and getting stuff connected with bnc connectors lol. Oh Mod4win and Cubic Player!

As far as games, Wolfenstein and of course Quake 1 ...then winquake and glquake and CTF nights over modem ! and running ipx.com in command line for quake etc. Terminal apps for dos and windows...BBS days with email access.

Oh I got one... WinSock dialer for windows
    Getting X working with your PC, having to modify the xf86 config files manually in older linux distro...thinking back early/mid 90s with Slackware :) That was fun!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Lotus Notes for me. You want to talk about doing things the hard way. Lotus Notes was a study of how to do everything wrong... They even have a Fan Page!

Lotus Notes can just die in a fire.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I almost forgot CivII and the networkable variant, CivNet.

As for Linux, I used to be a mod on a forum called LinuxJunior. I purchased a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse and it wouldn't work in Debian. I spent hours on the net, researching different xorg conf files before I was able to piece together a workable solution. That was in 03/04. One decade later and LinuxJunior is no more and it is a simple thing to just "plug and play" a wireless keyboard and mouse, regardless of which OS you are using. Man, I sure miss those days!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PEEK and Poke in the old Commodore 64 days. WildCat BBS was the best before Internet was Internet and Compuserve and Priodogy lol.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Haha love it...Red Alert was pretty awesome as well. My how the games have changed...only skirmish, skirmish online via 56k...those were the best because people could timeout and you could destroy most buildings before they came back!!
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    pwjohnston wrote: »

But for real, probably WinAmp. RIP.

I still use winamp. Old habits die hard. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    wes allen wrote: »
    Scorched Earth, anyone?

Scorched_Earth_gameplay.png
    Oh man this game was great!

I also miss TradeWars 2002 from the old BBS days.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327

I also miss TradeWars 2002 from the old BBS days.

I played a variation of that with my Atari 800 (computer, not console) and a 300Bd modem. I would map out the best trading routes, create macros to automate the trading and then run the macro X number of times until I ran out of something and the route was broken.

I kicked everyone's but on that board, but the sysadmin couldn't figure out why I would play and then just sit idle for 45 minutes. He broke in once to ask about it and I had to tell him that from his side of things I was idle, but from mine the commands were still running. Since I was at 300Bd I was waiting for the text to finish scrolling so I get a command prompt and go looking for another route.

The great things about 300Bd was that it was a really comfortable reading speed; the text could just keep flowing... I could try to keep up at 1200, but 9600 really screwed things up! icon_wink.gif
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sub7 Legends by Mobman. Granted it was a script kiddie RAT...had way too much fun with this until the AVs got up to speed.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I still use winamp. Old habits die hard. :)

Linux guy here and I'm not anywhere near ready to give up Winamps distant cousin, xmms.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Games: space quest series, descent, Duke nukem 3d (own on steam through) but used to play multi-player on Kali all the time, and oh... Hmm.. I was a big point and click guy so Sam N Max, Legend of Kyrandia, daedalus encounter
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Having been born as one of the first kids of the 90's I didn't really have much use of a computer until I was 9. ('99) so I missed quite a few games for a bit, but I do remember picking up at least zork Zork - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a bit.

Red Alert and Age of Empires were both amazing as well. I never really played much of FPS games.

As for software, I used 98 for quite some time, and really learnt a lot about Drivers (especially when I removed a crap load of .dat files one night to clean up my 2Gb C drive) The next morning when I turned it one was definitely a new learning curve.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wolf 3D
    Crystal Caves
    Night hunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuW0Dbjdzfo

LHX Attack Chopper

there also was this game similar to crystal caves with a Mars setting

All running on Windows 3.1 those were the days :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    edzyyyedzyyy Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Absolutely has to be Sonique music player. Those skins! A close second would be Windows 3.1. Best OS ever. I have a sealed copy.

I still use Sonique!