Options

IT help desk analyst Tier 1 interview

ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have an interview with a large company, for IT help desk tier 1.
I went thru the online assessment, phone interview, and now I am onto the in-person interview.

Going to be a big change if I get the job. I work at a group of companies with 300 people. This job has 8k-10k employees.

What kind of questions can I expect? The interview is with the hiring manager and a couple team members.

Any insight, ideas, advice is appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    What is in the job description?

Most likely a lot of the questions will involve troubleshooting and pc diagnostics. Even if you don't know an answer like... "What do you do if someone cannot get to the internet today, but yesterday it worked fine?", try to troubleshoot it. Worst answer would be "I don't know". Even if you don't know exactly how to figure it out (check the network cable, the ipconfig etc) give some ideas of what you could try.
  • Options
    Provides technical assistance and support to end users (via phone, email, chat, or other identified means) of delivery systems hardware, software, and network (voice, video, and data) to resolve end-user computing problems. Work directly with end users of computing resources, quickly building rapport, providing guidance on effective use of delivery systems products and services, and being able to elicit problem details from the Help Desk customers. Utilize their own knowledge and experience and/or a knowledge management database, or other available resources (like the Internet) and follow documented company standards, policies, and procedures to diagnose and resolve end-user computing problems. Need to have the ability to expand their knowledge of appropriate software and hardware products used and supported by Information Technology. Candidate needs to have the ability to quickly ascertain when the customer's issue needs to be dispatched to another group or level for support. Work with the end-user to determine the appropriate business impact of a given computing issue, and/or correlate numerous issues into identifying potential broader issues. Perform remote fixes at the desktop level, including installing and upgrading software, installing hardware, implementing file backups, and configuring systems and applications as required. Assist other Help Desk analysts when needed.

• Windows Operating System experience required. 7preferred
    • MS Office Product's- Email Outlook/Exchange
    • Customer Service/Support Experience preferred
    • Need to possess a working knowledge of personal computer networks, hardware and software.
    • Need to be able to understand and apply the related terminology, problem solving techniques and appropriate diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting a customer's issue.
    • Should be able to demonstrate and consistently apply customer service skills.
    • Need to confirm with the customer that the fix applied has solved the issue to the customer's satisfaction.
    • Need to be thorough in documenting all steps taken in attempting to resolve a given customer issue.
    Ability to work off shifts as needed.

That is the job description. So don't say I don't know, always try and find an answer. Got it. I assume there is times when they want me to send the tech problem up the chain of command? (to a Tier 2 or 3 help desk person)
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Expect it to be more personality and customer service based as it's a tier 1 position. They'll want examples of times you have had to deal with a difficult or angry customer and what you did in that situation. What would you do if you had a customer with an issue and you weren't able to find the answer to it, what would you do next? There will be some technical, but most of it will be your communication and person skills.
  • Options
    Yea looks ordinary so be outgoing and personable. They like documentation and KB articles so mention that.
  • Options
    Ok got it. :)

Be personable, expand on ways I have helped customers, document everything. :)

They have a Tier 2 position open as well. I was hoping I could interview for that position, but I don't think that is an option.

Much difference between Tier 1 and 2?
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ask if you can interview for the tier 2 spot, I cant count how many times I have received something that should be "impossible" simply by asking. Often the interviewer may not even think of it and will like that you are looking for a more difficult job.

For tier 1 work I always put emphasis on the ability to be a customer facing person more so than a technical wizard. Being able to easily talk to anyone is a big+. Striking up a conversation with an end user while you are waiting for a tool to run or a scan to complete or while you are rebooting your laptop for 5th time because your remote management software keeps crapping out....all of that will get you better reviews in the surveys that are (most likely) sent out afterwards, which is a big measurement in your performance.

The technical support portion of your job will most likely be fed to you through a knowledge base or a flow chart of sorts. Even if you know the solution to a problem you will still have to work through the "approved solution"....my point with this post is to focus on your people skills with everyone you meet during the interview process. Small talk will be ​big!

Tier 1 is going to be 100% "did you turn it on/off yet?" "Is the cable plugged into the monitor" "your new password is _____, you will have to change it when you log in. The complexity requirements are _____".

Tier 2 will more hands on (if it was like my tier 2), more unusual problems or unique issues that dont have a KB article to fix. Some advanced work with other "teams" that may not be on site but need someone technical to try X or setup things like example B.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are questions like 'Is it plugged in?' really the extent of Tier 1 help desk? I turned down a job that was a lot of those type of questions, in a suit nonetheless. If it is, I may just stop applying for tier 1's and apply at just NOC's and MSP's.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have worked Tier 1 call center type support twice in my career and it mostly consisted of:

"What color are the lights and what are they doing?"
    "Have you power-cycled the device?"
    "Have you rebooted your computer?"
    "Have you disconnected and reconnected the cables?"
    etc....

Once I was promoted to tier 2, I got into heavier troubleshooting in Windows. Tier 1 was quite repetitive and boring.

When I worked for an MSP as a sysadmin, the tier 1 helpdesk team was often doing thorough Windows/desktop troubleshooting, and even a bit of server troubleshooting.

Of course every company is different, and YMMV.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Did this very basic technical experience help obtain more technical roles?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The tier 1 call center stuff that I described above didn't help me to land a better position in my area. I obtained my first real technical job (MSP) by knowing a senior network engineer who worked for the company. He put in a good word for me to upper management and I received a phone call randomly to come in for an interview. The whole "who you know" concept goes a long way.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tier 1 could be a foot in the door and allow for other positions in the future. A large number of people I work with have started off there as contractors.
  • Options
    I was at a tier 1 interview today and it was basically critical thinking questions, like "What would you do if a client calls in with a problem you can't solve?" and "A client calls in unable to browse the internet, what would you do?" things like that. I answered these, follow company procedure such as escalate to tier 2 and for question 2 I went into ipconfig/ifconfig and ping ip/dns. They said the first one was correct, for the second they wanted me to ask if the cable was plugged in and if so escalate it. If on the job tier 1 troubleshooted the latter issue would that get them in trouble?

I really hope all tier 1's aren't this way, this is only the second interview I've had and have another tomorrow. I'll post what sort of questions were asked.

True tier 1 is a foot in the door and looks decent on a resume. If someone is aiming to work with networks, studying for cisco certs, is only looking to grow in the network field and the job's only potential growth is to higher tiers is it worth taking a 6 month contract or decline and look elsewhere?

I understand the higher tiers could be helpful for people aiming at sys admin but seems irrelevant for future network positions.
  • Options
    ElementaryOSElementaryOS Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What certifications do you have Chadius? I'm wondering. Just A+?
  • Options
    A+ and Network+

Currently studying for MCSA 2008/2012. (thru labs, reading, etc)

I'm also in the VMware class thru Stanley.
  • Options
    *Update*

I sat around for an hour at the interview. There were two things that made the hiring manager not show up. Company wide printer and network issues. Confusion on the date and time of the interview. They hire an outside firm to schedule things for them. (not used to that) A positive from the sitting around part: a lady came to the receptionist with a simple pc question, and I answered her, fixing the problem. (more of a band aid) The receptionist told the hiring manager on the phone, that I was helping a lady from payroll with her pc problem. The receptionist said he was pleasantly surprised. Not sure if that helps or not.

The scheduler guy did tell me that I can ask to be interviewed for the tier 2 position if available. Just to tell the hiring manager.

So now I wait for the call to reschedule the interview. I emailed once on Friday, and the scheduler guy told me when he hears from the hiring manager, I will hear from him. How long should I wait? I wasn't nervous before, but now I am. If the pay is there, this could be a game changer for my career in IT and for my family moving forward. (obviously it will be a bit harder, as I am sure I make more than they start at) (so a bit of pay cut)
  • Options
    From what I've seen, tier 1 work starts at about 12-15/hr in this area, tier 2 can go up to about 18, and desktop support you should be looking at around 20/hr.
  • Options
    Hmmmm. Well if that pay scale works as you say, then this interview could end up being disappointing. In the other thread, Speedy Cash is hiring for their NOC. They told me the pay is 17.25 to 19.23 starting and DOE. They say a bachelors degree is preferred, but think they are flexible. No one wants to work 2nd or 3rd. lol
  • Options
    I've also seen a few help desk positions tier 1 at $17 starting.

So should I contact the scheduling guy or would that be too pushy and put him off?
  • Options
    Chadius wrote: »
    I've also seen a few help desk positions tier 1 at $17 starting.

So should I contact the scheduling guy or would that be too pushy and put him off?

It probably wouldn't hurt as long as you aren't calling them every day as they could get annoyed. But if it's been about a week (or close to it) it may be worth a shot to give him a call.

True, there will be some helpdesk gigs here that will be a bit higher starting pay than what the "norm" is and those are good ones to shoot for. I know Cox seems to be hiring quite a bit for those roles here as well.. Not sure of the pay, but they should be in that range.
  • Options
    I got a call from a recruiter this morning. He told me to update my skills section of my resume, with skills that more match what I have worked with.
    He said he has a company that would like to talk to me. He thinks I can get a position higher than a tier 1 help desk or desktop support (the latter is what I sent my resume for) So I guess I'll give it a shot. lol The company is a network service provider thru the midwest. :)
  • Options
    so the manager didn't at least come out and talk to you and say sorry for the mixup or anything? I would take that as a red flag for sure. No matter how busy they are, they could have taken 2 minutes to stop by and say sorry etc etc and we will be in touch here is why it wont work today. Foot in the door position for 6 months at most. I would email the scheduler back and see if there is any update.

Honestly you have to value your time as much as they value theirs. You took time out to go to this interview and they don't even show their face. Sorry one of the things I hate most is when people don't value other peoples time and should seriously be a huge red flag for this job.
  • Options
    He was stuck in another plant, which this business covers miles. (think Boeing in Wichita Ks big) He told the receptionist he is sorry and that he is looking forward to our rescheduled time to meet. The scheduler guy called my home phone this morning. He is town from Boston until tomorrow, and said they have openings Friday and next week. Problem is, my 15 month old daughter "hid" my home phone. I guess he called that number instead of my cell because he isn't around his computer or work phone? He is supposed to call this afternoon. If he doesn't get a hold of me, he said he will call from his "home" office in Boston tomorrow.

Yea it really bummed me out last week. I took part of the day off to go to it and then him not showing up.....sucked. I have only interviewed for 2 jobs since I have been at my current employer. (I started in 2000)
  • Options
    Interview is at 3 pm on Friday! YAY!

Hope the after interview process doesn't take forever. lol

The other job I got a call about, has these positions available:

Security Systems Engineer

NetCare Engineer

Cisco Route/Switch Systems Engineer

IT Sales Account Manager

Microsoft Design Architect

Obviously I don't meet the requirements. lol But I will eventually.

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Have you applied for the NOC position at Speedy?
  • Options
    Have you taken a look at NetApp as well? They seem to have alot of openings, of course it seems most are 2nd/3rd shift types of jobs. Good luck with your interviews! Hopefully all goes well for you.
  • Options
    I sent them my resume, then I got an email asking me to come in for an interview. First thing the lady asked was if I would be able to work 2nd or 3rd shift, because those are the only shifts available. I told her I will check back soon. Kind of like to obtain a 1 st shift job if possible. (like spending time with my daughter before bed. She's 15 months old) But if I have to, and there is no other jobs, then I will interview for it. lol
  • Options
    She sent me the benefits package, pay scale for starting, etc. I didn't realize Speedy Cash was that huge of a company. 3900 stores. O.o
  • Options
    Net App is right down the road from where I work now. Used to be LSI logic I think. Yea, their openings seem to be more software or engineer based. I haven't looked in to deep, but I would assume Comp Science people. I'll look again. :)
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Understand. Working 2nd or 3rd shift is what I had to do to get an entry level IT job. Started off help desk, NOC, System Administrator, and Manager. 11 year journey.
  • Options
    I guess working 3rd wouldn't to bad. What is the duties of NOC technician anyhow?

On a side note, I have that interview tomorrow. But yesterday I got a call from a bank chain, asking me if I would interview for a network admin position. What should I do? lol