IT help desk analyst Tier 1 interview

Comments

• ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @RockinRobin: Thanks. I am trying to keep a good outlook on things. :)

@MeanDrunk: That's the kind of input I was looking for. Thanks man! That will definitely help me for my meeting with him Friday. He said he was handling me different than he normally would others. Mainly because I am 15 years at my company, and with a family. He knows it would be a leap of faith for me. And it is, at least for me going there. Small company, and the description he gave me was vague at first. Sounds better the way you put it. I think my main thing with this job, is that I will come in, learn the software and equipment, get really good at my job (cuz that is me), and then in 6 months to a year.....would I be hitting my ceiling there. (learning things, getting more skills)

I guess that is where certifications can come into play and bridge the gap? Like if I was there, doing the networking type things that you said, then getting my CCNA would teach me more things I don't know....adding to the base I have built.....potentially for my next job?

Sorry if I rambled. lol

Oh and the pay would be really close or right at what I make now. Benefits are a mystery so far.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Chadius you are an inspiration man. You have remained focused and have not allowed yourself to get discouraged and give up. Whoever hires you will be gaining a great asset.
  • TheReceiverTheReceiver Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It was really difficult for me to find my first position in the IT field. I probably spent about 2 months before finally getting offered a position. Though to be fair it seemed like they would take almost anyone.

Im not sure if I missed it, but I didnt see any mention of a LinkedIn profile. If you dont have one, or dont have a lot of connections on it. You need to build connections on there. I just add lots of Recruiters all over the state and sometimes out of state as sometimes Recruiters fill contracts for positions that arent local.

Also, if this is to be your first official IT position I would look into Windows 7 70-680. Its what I did just so I can be attractive to migration positions which I have been doing for the last couple of years now. Though to be fair I have been working W2 contracts with benefits.

Also I applied to maybe about 150-200 positions over 2 weeks time and scored one position. Got to figure a 3% ROI when your marketing yourself, at least thats how I go about it...

Best of luck!
    I have a linkedIn profile. I had to make it private, because my boss is a connection on their at the moment. I can't let him know I am looking to leave, nor can I delete him. lol But yea, my connections are not great, due to the aforementioned reasons.

I have an A+ and Network +. I'm studying and labbing (that a word?) for the first test on the CCNA. After I would like to get the MCSA Server 20008/2012.

Granted, I live in Kansas, which is not known as the IT mecca. But there are tons of IT jobs here. I send my resume out on average of about 1-2 a day. Some more, some days less. (since October) I think I have been to 12 in person interviews, and had 6 separate phone interviews. I had to turn another two down, because one had no benefits, and the other wanted me to relocate. Actually there is a couple more phone interviews, I just can't remember to whom exactly.

I use Indeed, Craigslist, and Careerbuilder. Would adding connections from here (tech exams), help the connections? (on LinkedIn)

It seems I lose out to people with more experience, and contractors who were already working for the company. The way meandrunk explained the job I asked about yesterday, is that it would be good experience job to build more skills.

That would be another question for everyone: how long should you stay somewhere, before leaving for a better job? (for more pay, growth potential, etc) I haven't worked anywhere else for 15 years, so it is really different for me. Interviewing was stressful the first couple of times. Now I feel like a seasoned pro. lol
    @ Mooseboost: Thanks for the encouraging words!
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Chadius wrote: »
    That would be another question for everyone: how long should you stay somewhere, before leaving for a better job? (for more pay, growth potential, etc) I haven't worked anywhere else for 15 years, so it is really different for me. Interviewing was stressful the first couple of times. Now I feel like a seasoned pro. lol

To be honest, it would depend on the job and your ability to move up and learn more. If you feel like you cannot learn more, or move up into a better position in a year, that would be fine as well.

For most of my jobs, if I felt like I wasn't learning anything (like the first job I started when I moved here last year) I was there for 6 months before I left. That's not normal of me to do to be honest, but I felt like I was regressing in my career at that position and took it because it seemed like a lateral move with good potential to move up. Come to find out the opportunities weren't there after I started and the contractor had misled me about what the terms of the contract were and potential. But if I were lacking IT experience, I'd stay for at least 1 year and when you hit that mark, put out feelers again and apply to better jobs that have far more potential. Going for the CCENT and then CCNA is a great path to go on. There are some major IT firms here in the area and great potential to really advance your career. Right now the biggest key for you is to gain that experience and to move forward in your IT career. This sounds like the perfect opportunity to do this. I wouldn't expect this job to start out as very high level, and there may be a ceiling that you'll hit within a year. You've shown in your adult life that you aren't the type to jump ship easily and you'll need to market that you are dedicated to the right company and desire to learn and grow in your career.
    Thanks for the advice. :)

I've marketed the length of service thing to interviewers, which most liked. Dell did not. They said you have to fluid in your career, and move with the
    experience. Kind of shocked me to hear a company say that. I should have my CCNA by mid summer at most.
    The global energy company hired someone else. I only had the phone interview with them.

Dell says they are still trying to figure things out.

And the network technician role (the one the last page or so talks about in this thread), we set a date to meet again, and he ended up busy.
    Said he was busy all last week as well. SO I'm hoping we meet this week. If it is a good opportunity like Meandrunk says, than I would like to know sooner than later. :P

Otherwise, indeed has dried up recently around here. There have been a bunch of low wage pc tech positions, or really high senior type jobs. Craigslist has turned into spam city recently here.

Should have my CCNA during the summer. So maybe that will help. (especially if I get that network tech job or the Dell position)
    Well, WSU just released for the summer, so that may dry up some of the more entry level jobs for those working the summer before school starts up, or they graduated and entered the market. I'd expect that jobs will open up in more places come the beginning of June. Just keep pounding away. It took me 4 months of searching to find this job, and I'm a seasoned IT guy on top of it.
    I'm keeping on it. lol Been actively at it since late October. Damn those fresh grads!
    Dell went with other candidates today.

That was the last interview I went to. I haven't been getting much in the way of phone or Face 2 face interviews.

I changed my resume recently, maybe that is why. I am still supposed to meet with that network tech guy, but he is always busy.

Hard to not get down, when I have been at this since last October. Koch has tons of IT positions, but I can't get a call back from them, to save my life.
    Dell went with other candidates today.

That was the last interview I went to. I haven't been getting much in the way of phone or Face 2 face interviews.

I changed my resume recently, maybe that is why. I am still supposed to meet with that network tech guy, but he is always busy.

Hard to not get down, when I have been at this since last October. Koch has tons of IT positions, but I can't get a call back from them, to save my life.

If you ever interview with Koch, keep in mind that their interview process is very long, minimum of 4 hours. And when you do hear back from them it may be a month later. I wasn't exactly sold on them when I interviewed and was able to answer any and all questions thrown at me and I felt like I nailed it. When it comes to breaking in, you gotta just keep at it. Eventually you will get that opportunity. Things should start picking up for job openings in June, so keep working at it. You'll find something.
    Dell got back with me. My missed some questions on my technical interview part. As I said back then, I knew I over thought some things, and it screwed me.

Now, I noticed they post the job back on Indeed. So my contact at Dell, is going to ask the lady that was the lead in my panel, if I can re-apply. I told her to ask if I could get a second chance at technical questions, since I brain farted on two or three of them. Basically I thought they were asking for really high level answers, and it was really do you know what this acronym means, which Windows 7 flavor could this pc have, what is the active directory forest, etc.
    Never mind. The HR lady said that is not a re-post, but the same position but with remote. Would need even better tech skills than the other job. and since I blew my tech part, they won't extend me 2nd try. First impressions thing really is bigger than I thought in life. lol

Keep on trucking. @ meandrunk, yes I am looking forward to June. I hope it is a good month. Check your pm's.
    Checked and replied. Personally, I wouldn't sweat the Dell position at this time and keep on looking. Have you been using LinkedIn and indeed to scour for jobs? Those are 2 that I used rather heavily myself. Also, don't forget that Netapp has a rather big presence here as well, but many of those jobs may seem high level, but they do have some entry level positions quite often (which I wouldn't ever qualify for with my experience). I'd also look at Cox and see if they have any open helpdesk positions as well here. Via Christi may be another place to look as well, but not sure how much of their IT staff is here now (They were bought by ascension healthcare and moved a bit to Detroit, but not all).
    Dell is replacing Via Christi's IT for all sites in Kansas. The only jobs I ever see for Cox, is tech support people. (where you call in and tell them my cable is out) Is that their version of help desk?

I use Indeed, Career Builder, and sometimes LinkedIn. What do you type in, to get the jobs your looking for? I just type in IT.
    Yep, that's basically their tier 1 helpdesk. Usually rather easy work, but it is IT experience and one could always move up to the next tier, or get on the server team after working hard. Also check out Dice as well. Jobs there tend to be more "IT" based.
    They (Cox) contacted me for an interview last night. The pay for that position is 12 per hour. I make considerably more than that now, so I politely turned down the interview.

Supposedly I am going to meet with the owner of the company offering the Network Technician. I'm to the point now, where I will take that job,
    if the pay and benefits are even sort of close. At least I could do that for awhile, and add it to my resume.
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They (Cox) contacted me for an interview last night. The pay for that position is 12 per hour. I make considerably more than that now, so I politely turned down the interview.

Supposedly I am going to meet with the owner of the company offering the Network Technician. I'm to the point now, where I will take that job,
    if the pay and benefits are even sort of close. At least I could do that for awhile, and add it to my resume.

I know that you've heard it on here, but only because it's really true: Don't lose hope! I know that it feels like you're slaving away and nothing will ever change, but it does! I relocated and went a year working at a horrible place before I landed a job that pays for my certification tests and has a great environment! I'm doing work that I love and am spending time strengthening my experience and training for the next role!

I'm sure that you'll be successful! Keep us all up to date!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever

I've been in positions before where I have taken a step down in pay just to get the experience that I needed and made the jump after 6 months-1year to another job that paid me back to where I was being paid prior to that first experience. But, keep it up, and yes, Cox is known to start pay low, but do offer good opportunities to move up if one can deal with the lower pay. Just for the experience, it may not be bad to go after something like that and pick up a part time job on the days you aren't working to make ends meet for the short term. It sucks, and is tough, but sometimes it's necessary to get that break.
    I get what your saying. But the difference in pay is about 18k less a year than what I make now. My wife would expel a brick out her back side, if you know what I mean.

I am willing to take pay cut, just not one that harsh. I think that is where I am running into problems. I am not sure employers want to take a person who has been at his/her job for 15 years. Some probably think there is a lack of motivation, comfort level, etc....and that might cause them problems, versus someone who has been going to different jobs gaining skills.

I had a phone interview yesterday for an IT help desk position. I told them my bottom dollar, and they said that was doable. But they said they would call me back soon for a face to face. Kind of admin/help desk/desktop support position.
  • jamesenglishjamesenglish Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is exactly the position that I'm looking to apply for. Tier 1 support. What certificates should I look into if I want to work at help desk support? An IT friend at work says he doesn't even have a degree and just made his way up the ladder getting certifications.
    A+ and Network + are two I always hear that are good for Help Desk and moving away from it. But at least A+ should get you in.
    Around where I live, the companies hiring for Help Desk have weird requirements sometimes. Some will want no degree, little experience, and will pay low. Other ads I see, ask for a bachelors degree and certs. lol

Just depends on the company.
    So I talked to the owner of the business needing a network tech. I guess us meeting, was kind of an apology for not having any time for me the last 2 months. He drove an hour to come meet me in my town and bought me breakfast. lol So he does security like I said in another post. Key card readers, ip cameras, etc. He is down and installer, and said he needs to hire one of those first, before hiring the network role. He isn't hiring me or anyone else for the network role, until after June.

I still haven't gotten the chance to speak about pay and benefits. Insurance price and coverage is a big deal to me. He had said he would pay me what I make now. But hopefully he remembers that talk from March. lol

Hopefully someone calls me in for an interview soon.
  • taylorb91taylorb91 Member Posts: 15 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just read through this whole thread and I gotta say, you're somewhat of an inspiration Chadius, relentlessly trying and trying thats awesome you don't let yourself get too down over it! I am so bad with that. Like you I am trying to find my first full time IT job as well preferably help desk with more advanced it positions within the company for when I want to move up. There seems to be a lot more it jobs available where you are compared to Las Vegas, hardly anything here that is considered entry level! Good luck man!
    Thanks. At first, I was just asking for interview help. lol

But then this has become my job diary. Someday, I will achieve what I have been working towards. :) I just realized last weekend, that I started applying and interviewing in July actually. Got turned down in July and stopped applying until late September. Since then I have been shooting my resume all over the internet. I hope if some people read this, they will understand that you can have an awesome interview, and still not be considered. (due to numerous reasons)

Funny thing I saw last week, and haven't noticed before. When you apply for a job thru careerbuilder, it will tell you a snapshot of your competition for that job. One job I applied for had 50 people applied, average degree was a bachelors, and 5 years experience. That was for a 3rd shift NOC position. Seems like I should put more effort into finishing this degree sooner than later. Or at least as much effort as I am in certificates.
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I remember when I was in your boat, Chadius. The lucky break that I got was because of the training I got in the Air Force Reserve. I was able to get a clearance, some hands on training, and the opportunity to prove that I had what it took to for that first job. I networked with some people I was working with while on active duty orders and they recommened me to an employer. I was able to land an interview thanks to the friends I made and proved my knowledge to the employer and got hired.

You have worked hard to get this far and your drive is admirable. Keep going and dont give up. You will get there and then the sky is the limit.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
    I do agree, I need to network more. Not sure how to do it. Everyone I know, is in Engineering or aircraft. Is it ok to add people randomly on Linkedin?
    I do agree, I need to network more. Not sure how to do it. Everyone I know, is in Engineering or aircraft. Is it ok to add people randomly on Linkedin?

I usually only add people I have worked with, or know me as well as I'll add HR recruiters for contract companies as well as the companies direct as well. Join some of the groups that are in the line of work that you are going in as well.
    *Update*

The large insurance company, who hired for their job internally. They had another position come open. (actually the same position) So I will interview with them tomorrow afternoon. (System Support Specialist 1) I had a scheduled interview with them before, but it got canceled and never re-scheduled.

Just now, I had a phone call for the job I did a phone interview for awhile back. (Help Desk Admin) They said the candidate they hired, didn't work out. So now they want me for a face to face to interview. That's next Tuesday.

I had another phone call this morning from a recruiter out of Atlanta. They apparently have a job with a client in my town. The job title is System Administrator. But the job description doesn't match up. The guy said it is 80% desktop support with 20% Network and server duties. (i.e. Active Directory management, etc) and some Cisco VOIP. He said I should be ok to interview for it. So he submitted my resume. I will hear back sometime I guess.

I will update after tomorrow's interview. I can post job descriptions if anyone wants to what I am going for.