Options

IT help desk analyst Tier 1 interview

Comments

• Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Phone thing went well. I have to take two tests online at Prove It. If I do well, then it recommends me? Then an interview twice. It is a pay cut if I can get higher in the range she gave me. Also third shift. Prolly should ask the wife about that part. lol :P
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Chadius wrote: »
    Phone thing went well. I have to take two tests online at Prove It. If I do well, then it recommends me? Then an interview twice. It is a pay cut if I can get higher in the range she gave me. Also third shift. Prolly should ask the wife about that part. lol :P

Good luck! Hopefully it all goes well for you. I didn't have to do that, but since I've had more IT experience it's probably more geared towards those newer into this career path.

And to your prior comment, yea it's hard to do especially with older kids who wouldn't quite grasp that concept of having to take a step back temporarily to be able to move forward and losing something that they are used to having. Just keep in mind that the pay decrease will be worth it in the long run as you'll be able to prove yourself and move forward and further ahead than you are currently.
  • Options
    The tests weren't too difficult. The first test had a lot of networking questions, about TCP/IP stack, command line, etc. Second test was a breeze. It was more support type questions. But I am waiting for her to tell me yay or nay.

My hope, is that if I came in at position and wage below what I am used too, that maybe my experience and smarts would get me promoted with a raise. She said that she thinks I could do that, and the only reason I would doing the support thing, is because the other positions above that are full. My background is more suited to an IT Tech position they had listed last month. My thought also, is if I could get promoted to Network Tech, and I will have my CCNA soon, that all of that together with hard work and determination, I might be on the fast track to learning from the net engineers. Be in a good spot to work on that CCNP after a couple of years.
  • Options
    Got an email from the company that made me take the Prove it IT tests. Did well on them. So now I'm on to a panel interview next Tuesday. Dell had another position open up. I applied for it and had a phone screening today. I have an interview Wednesday next week. This time it's one person and two people on conference call. I'm ready for the tech part this time. No over thinking for me. Lol

On a side note, when companies say they will do a background check, what does that mean? My credit is kind of jacked at the moment. Medical bills post baby, ruined us. Will that keep me from getting an offer? I have no criminal or anything like that. Just credit report drama.
  • Options
    Anyone have any information on background checks? (post above this one)
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have bad credit and you're asked about it, I think the best route is to just be honest about it.
  • Options
    If asked about the credit part, be honest. Anything criminal that is a felony definitely mention. If the form asks for misdemeanors add those as well. (Likely doesn't apply to you, but honesty is the best thing and be up front about it if asked.

As far as credit reports go, I wouldn't worry much about it unless you make it a habit to never pay a single thing and you have nothing but creditor after creditor after you. I've had a bankruptcy in the past and it hasn't affected me one bit with job opportunities (and I've fixed the problems I had in regards to that and have recently purchased a home 4 years after the fact with a great interest rate).

I wouldn't fear the credit report to be honest. If it's really just the one item, that's not a big deal. And fun fact of the day, if you owe medical, if you set up a payment plan with them (or just mail them something like $20 every month) they will generally not report any payment issues even though it may be considerably more that they want.

But mostly when they do the background checks they'll check your credit (low influence) and verify if you did get a degree if you said you have one, as well as contact your former employers. (They'll skip current ones because they understand the consequences of giving your current boss/company a heads up that you are looking). I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never had issues with this, even working for the government and getting a clearance.
  • Options
    Cool. I will be upfront if I get to that point. I have no criminal or anything bad.

Two interviews this week. One is doing interviews this week, and making decisions the next. (Dell) said they are looking for someone and need the

process done soon. Works for me. lol
  • Options
    Interview went well. Three person panel. Part of the interview was technical. (What is RAID, What is AD, What is NAS, how do you trouble shoot a printer, etc) They said if I get chosen for the next interview, it is with the CIO. The recruiter told me the wrong schedule for this job. It 10am - 7 pm, Monday thru Friday. YAY! She had told me 3rd shift, Tuesday thru Saturday.

Tomorrow is the onsite interview with Dell, for the Field Tech Senior Associate interview. They said that will be the only interview.

I was suppose to have a phone interview at 2 with Wolters Kluwer. She hasn't called yet. (Application support)

Overall, I am optimistic. I told the people today, (when they asked why we should hire you) You should hire me because I am driven. I have been going to school mostly full time for a long time, while raising a family and working 6 days a week. I want this, and I think I am knowledgeable enough and willing to learn anything. So there is hope. lol This position is IT support analyst-application support. They made it sound like growth will only be there for me if I do two things (mainly): Finish my bachelors and be the go to guy in support. If I show them something, they will be more open to promoting me. I finish my degree next spring. (unless I can get thru a bunch of hours this term)
  • Options
    Good to hear about that. Sounds like you are pretty positive on the interview, and that's a good thing for sure. That's even better with the hours not being 3rd shift, as that's a hard one to adjust to. (I'm still adjusting after 7 months.)

Can't say I'm exactly shocked about Wolters Kluwer and them being late (if at all for the phone interview) as I've had issues with them in the past being punctual. Keep up the hard work and I'm sure you'll see a good payoff soon enough.
  • Options
    Dell interview went well. (I think) I think I did way better on the technical part this time. A couple of things I didn't know, but overall I think I did good. I would just say, better than my last one with them in March or April.

Fingers crossed for both of them. :)
  • Options
    The place I interviewed at yesterday, just emailed me saying that with much thought they have decided to move forward with other applicants. I did my usual reply....where I ask the for feedback and things to work on. I haven't been getting feedback lately when asking. Which sucks because it would be nice to know if I am saying or doing something that is keeping me from being hired.....if it is something other than experience or skills. I.e. something I said, wrong answers to tech interview questions, etc.

I'll see if wolters kluwer calls me for in person interview. Never heard back from the June interview that is still open. And Dell said they should know something next week or so.

I take time off from my job which hurts my pay and then nothing comes from it.
  • Options
    I have an interview with Walters Kluwer Monday afternoon. They do it a little different than I'm used to. First hour is normal interview and the second hour is me shadowing a person doing the job I applied for. Different but could be ok.
  • Options
    I had an epiphany the other night. When it comes to situational questions during an interview, I need to have some thought out before hand. Instead, if I am nervous at all, I stumble thru those questions. The questions are the same and always come up. You know the ones.

If you have ever seen reservoir dogs, I am meaning practice my answers like the under cover cop is doing. But I wouldn't be lying, the point would be to know the stories really well, so I could fluently speak. lol
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I know it is hard NOT to be nervous, but do try to smile alot, have a firm handshake and ask alot of questions. Better yet, bring a professional notebook with you. I used to keep all my interviews with the questions/answers in it. It sucks to be in the interview process ( I used to joke that I should bring my own desk and chair with all the interviews I had been on).
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    True that! Would it be appropriate to write down scenario and tech questions? Seems like that would add a bunch of time to an interview, while making them wait. I haven't been nervous most of the time. I might look away from them while thinking of the answer. Yea I lost about 5 hours of work this week, for the two interviews. I will lose 3 on Monday. Sucks because I am working OT, and it is mandatory for me. So I have to work Saturdays all day to make up hours and get OT in.
  • Options
    Yes, it would be appropriate.
  • Options
    Well then Monday I will have a professional looking Notepad thingy with me. ;)

I guess I could always ask if they cared or not.

Dell told me today, that they are just finishing up the interviews. They also expect feedback early next week. So if you all cross your fingers.....jk
    I wish I knew people in the IT community around where I live. It would be nice to know someone and get in because of it. :P

By the way, have you guys heard of an N.A.S? It was one of my technicial questions Tuesday. What about PST and OST files? That question came from the tech portion Wednesday. (with Dell) I have heard of the second term before, but couldn't say what the acronym stood for. The first one I had no idea at all. Not even a little.
  • Options
    Network-attached storage. I have one at home..I backup my local drives to that.
    NAS systems are networked appliances which contain one or more hard drives, often arranged into logical, redundant storage containers or RAID. Network-attached storage removes the responsibility of file serving from other servers on the network
  • Options
    I believe PST files are the file type that Microsoft Office uses to save email archives. If a user wanted to free up some space in their email account they could create a .pst file.
  • Options
    Well now I know. I help people setup outlook archives at work, but never looked to see what file type it was. The storage question I get now, just never heard it called that. Oh well. The nas interview I didn't get anyway.

I'm really getting tired of never getting any feedback from interviews. Kind of annoying. You get that nice email about how you were up there but passed over. So why not give me some pointers to help me in the future? Only received feedback twice in 16 interviews. Can't wait to get my ccna.

I retooled my resume today. Two places days out was misleading this week. Both thought I had my bachelor's already. So now I have in progress in bold. Never heard any other place day that in all of this last year.
  • Options
    I can't remember where I heard it, but awhile ago I remember someone telling me that the reason a lot of places won't tell you why you weren't selected is to limit their legal liability. If they tell people the specific reason why they weren't selected it might open up a door for someone to sue. If they say "you weren't selected, have a nice day" there's nothing someone can sue them for.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    A .pst (personal storage file) is associated with Microsoft Office and accounts for local storage of email. An .ost file is the "inbox" and is saved server side (if you are in an enterprise environment; exchange server). In an environment where .ost files are maintained on an exchange server, you can delete an .ost file from a user's machine locally and the computer will pull it back down from the server.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    Should I have known that? I do desktop support, haven't came across that file type. (I do some help desk work too) The Dell interview asked it, so I suppose they must think I should know it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. :)
  • Options
    @Thomas: I guess the legal implications keep them from even being vague? I mean if an employer would say, you need you degree, or the CCNA, or you aren't experienced enough for this position....then it would at least give me direction. In about half the interviews I have heard that I was close to the people they chose. But never anything to give me more drive in a certain path. If they said something like: Chadius, if you had your CCNA, we would of chose you. Then I would be hell bent on that instead of other things. Basically I could say wife: Job X said if I had my CCNA, I would have a job. Then she would be less on me to do honey-do things. lol More time for lab and studying. I guess that sounds like a cop-out. Just need to continue on the path before me and hope things work out. My CCNA test is already scheduled, so I can't really make it happen faster. lol

Also, if they said, Chadius you smell of mustard, I would make changes. :P
  • Options
    *Update*

Dell emailed me this morning. They said that they are moving forward with a person who is a stronger candidate than myself. Someone who fits what the team needs. But they will keep my info on file and I should apply when positions come available.

My Wolters Kluwer interview got moved to Thursday. So there is that. The one job still open, that I interviewed for at the beginning of June, they won't respond to emails or calls. So no clue on the front.

The issue I have, is that I applied for these three jobs, since they are at the lower end of my pay range I am comfortable with. But two so far have not agreed with my skills. lol
  • Options
    *Update*

The job from a month ago emailed me. Said they were sorry for the delayed response, but they have decided to go a different direction. Not sure if that means different than me or changing the position. But at least I finally heard something.

I have the Wolter's Kluwer interview tomorrow.

On a side note, I have decided to offer my time and experience to volunteering. The post made today by Markulous gave me a bunch of info. I applied at Protronics and some other places. I might as well be doing that too, to gain some more experience. (because I have so much free time lol)
  • Options
    Ok, so I am back from the interview at Wolter's Kluwer. They seemed to like me. Supervisor made reference to liking me enough to hire me, if I liked the job. It is software support. They have tax software that accounting firms use. (small to large firms, businesses etc)

Here is my dilemma: Will working at this place, help me move forward in my IT career? I like the place. I like the benefits. (starting 4 weeks vacation day one) I just don't want to go from one place where I at least work computers, do help desk tickets, break/fix, etc. This is like a glorified help desk, but only for their software suites.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Anyone have any input on the bolded question in the above post? I can post the job description of that helps.
  • Options
    marko_polomarko_polo Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Chadius wrote: »
    Anyone have any input on the bolded question in the above post? I can post the job description of that helps.

Others might have more insight, but FWIW I am in a similar position as you (just starting out in IT as a second career) and I've intentionally avoided these types of roles supporting proprietary products. I want to gain experience with more mainstream technologies applicable to any industry and keep my employment options open. (I just accepted an offer with an MSP to that end.) My recommendation would be to hold out for a more traditional IT role.